Angel Di Maria

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
I was quite looking forward to seeing a 63million pound footballer in the flesh last night but for want of a better word, he was turd.

I don't watch a lot of the BPL anymore so I've not seen much of him this season to comment. Was he just out of sorts last night (eg rabbit caught in the headlights of a rampant Deepdale atmosphere, with a BBC peaked 6.9mil audience), or have Madrid had United's pants down and he's been that way all season?

TIA.

Ps. I'll also accept the answer of he's another good player being ruined by a totally inept manager.

Shrimpurh

Reaction score
Supports
Southend
I'd say he is being played in the wrong position. May of been able to play narrow in Spain but not here play him out wide to get the best out of him. Won't have it that he is not a good player

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
From the limited amount of footage I've seen of him this season he seems to be allergic to the FA Cup as he put in a similarly undistinguished performance at Cambridge Utd in the previous round.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Mino Raiola & Jorge Mendes
Said this in the match forum, he's not suited to playing as the main man and is best played in the providing role he did at Madrid. His talent is obvious.

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
For research sake I've just looked to see his goal tally for the season so far, which is 4, against QPR, Leicester, Everton and Yeovil.

Tbf to the lad plenty of good players take a year to adapt when moving to a different country. Still, 63mil...

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
For research sake I've just looked to see his goal tally for the season so far, which is 4, against QPR, Leicester, Everton and Yeovil.

Tbf to the lad plenty of good players take a year to adapt when moving to a different country. Still, 63mil...

He didn't score many for Madrid, his contribution was assists. That's not how we've been utilizing him, bizarre when LVG was licking his arse as one of the world's best wingers before we signed him. It's rare to see him making a run down the wing.

smat

Reaction score
Supports
arsenal
Twitter
@mrsmat

Can I just say thank you for doing the research? Many posters here make assertions with no real interest in the truth. In actively seeking out the facts, you have risen above the dreck of this forum. Thank you - sincerely.

Smat.

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
Can I just say thank you for doing the research? Many posters here make assertions with no real interest in the truth. In actively seeking out the facts, you have risen above the dreck of this forum. Thank you - sincerely.

Smat.

Thanks Smat, I'd like to think people know I'm the sort of poster who goes the extra yard to back my opinions up.

In doing so hopefully others are inspired to do the same and before you know society is a much nicer place than before.

thespus

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal
He didn't score many for Madrid, his contribution was assists. That's not how we've been utilizing him, bizarre when LVG was licking his arse as one of the world's best wingers before we signed him. It's rare to see him making a run down the wing.

He hasn't played wing in two seasons, has he? Played in a deeper role for Madrid last season (was it coincidence that it was comfortably his best season as a pro?) and hasn't played wing since Özil was there since the German was preferred as the creative hub to make space for others. In their respective time in Madrid, Özil and Di Maria had similar goal returns (Di Maria took considerably more shots, to no surprise).

It's criminal he isn't played deeper in this bizarre Van Gaal system; at the very least he should be playing left wing as opposed to CF. He isn't a clinical finisher by any means, but his dribbling and passing are excellent for creating on the counter.

smat

Reaction score
Supports
arsenal
Twitter
@mrsmat
Thanks Smat, I'd like to think people know I'm the sort of poster who goes the extra yard to back my opinions up.

In doing so hopefully others are inspired to do the same and before you know society is a much nicer place than before.
As usual, I agree. Thank you.

All the best.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
He hasn't played wing in two seasons, has he? Played in a deeper role for Madrid last season (was it coincidence that it was comfortably his best season as a pro?) and hasn't played wing since Özil was there since the German was preferred as the creative hub to make space for others. In their respective time in Madrid, Özil and Di Maria had similar goal returns (Di Maria took considerably more shots, to no surprise).

It's criminal he isn't played deeper in this bizarre Van Gaal system; at the very least he should be playing left wing as opposed to CF. He isn't a clinical finisher by any means, but his dribbling and passing are excellent for creating on the counter.

Playing deeper allows him scope to channel through the middle or the wing. Some of his most creative ball come through the centre. He's just not playing there enough. He's looked best for us in that deep role but he does like the occasional 30 yard drive over the top.

Reaction score
Supports
Jack Wilshere
He'll come good, it's the fact United play some dreadful football doesn't help. If you had Giroud on the end of some of those balls last night then he's have had a few assists.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
He'll come good, it's the fact United play some dreadful football doesn't help. If you had Giroud on the end of some of those balls last night then he's have had a few assists.

This is also true. Says a lot when the only player to come out with any credit for us this year has been De Gea.

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des

Tbf United looked at their most dangerous last night when they hit it long to Fellaini, very reminiscent of how he used to play for Everton.

You could see van Gaal was chuffed with his goal in the post match interview. He was very eager to heap praise on Valencia for getting to the byline and standing one up to the back post for big Felly to attack.

Proper old school division 3 football at its finest, we used to cause havoc under John Beck doing that.

Reaction score
Supports
Jack Wilshere
This is also true. Says a lot when the only player to come out with any credit for us this year has been De Gea.
Where would United be without De Gea, and extra games if they had been good enough for European football? For me, they'd be sitting about 7th.

silkyman

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town/Manchester City. It's complicated.
Tbf United looked at their most dangerous last night when they hit it long to Fellaini, very reminiscent of how he used to play for Everton.

You could see van Gaal was chuffed with his goal in the post match interview. He was very eager to heap praise on Valencia for getting to the byline and standing one up to the back post for big Felly to attack.

Proper old school division 3 football at its finest, we used to cause havoc under John Beck doing that.

Perhaps tactics go in cycles and that'll come back into fashion. I hear Pellegrini is on the lookout for a half back and an inside forward to resurrect the old 1-2-7 system

Renegade

Show me what you got.
Reaction score
Supports
Trad Bricks
Di Maria should be playing central midfield, it's his best position. He was a very good left winger for Madrid, but it wasn't until his stint as a central midfielder that he became genuinely world-class.

LVG is being too smart with his players in what's becoming an increasingly tedious endeavour to fit in expensive attacking talent. Instead of simply playing them in their natural positions, he's playing them out of position based on certain attributes. Not enough pace in the forward line? Play Di Maria in a more advanced position. Not enough creativity in midfield? Rooney can pick a pass, stick him in there.

It is becoming a joke, balance has been sacrificed for Van Gaal's stubbornness in dealing with the line up in this way. I'm no football manager (obviously), but if they simply flipped Rooney and Di Maria's positions or dropped one of the sloths up front, the team would perform better.

It was evidenced yesterday when Falcao came off for Young - I saw a lot of jokes about Ashley Young being better than Falcao. The change simply meant that United went from unbalanced to balanced, <insert terrible winger here> could have came on for Falcao and United would have improved, because the rest of the team got instantly stronger as they moved into a more natural/suitable formation.

Mata, Di Maria, Falcao and even Fellaini didn't go from being great players (or at least very good) to being no hopers in the space of a season. Mata was Chelsea's player of the year two years in a row, Di Maria was Real Madrid's second best player, Falcao was tearing up the rest of of Europe with an obscene goals to game ratio. They only thing that has coincided with their career downturn has been their move to Manchester United, so they are clearly being utilised poorly, whether that was by Moyes last season or LVG this year. Neither have done a good job.

LVG needs (and should be given) time to get the club back on track, but he also needs to realise he can't shoehorn everyone in and play good football. It simply won't work, you'd think he would have figured it out after seven months. He's either going senile or he's being stubborn. If he doesn't realise this next season, he will be sacked and deservedly so.

I have never enjoyed watching Manchester United less than I have this year. Incredibly disappointing considering how excited I was when the Netherlands put five past Spain last summer.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Where would United be without De Gea, and extra games if they had been good enough for European football? For me, they'd be sitting about 7th.

I'd say that's about right.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Di Maria should be playing central midfield, it's his best position. He was a very good left winger for Madrid, but it wasn't until his stint as a central midfielder that he became genuinely world-class.

LVG is being too smart with his players in what's becoming an increasingly tedious endeavour to fit in expensive attacking talent. Instead of simply playing them in their natural positions, he's playing them out of position based on certain attributes. Not enough pace in the forward line? Play Di Maria in a more advanced position. Not enough creativity in midfield? Rooney can pick a pass, stick him in there.

It is becoming a joke, balance has been sacrificed for Van Gaal's stubbornness in dealing with the line up in this way. I'm no football manager (obviously), but if they simply flipped Rooney and Di Maria's positions or dropped one of the sloths up front, the team would perform better.

It was evidenced yesterday when Falcao came off for Young - I saw a lot of jokes about Ashley Young being better than Falcao. The change simply meant that United went from unbalanced to balanced, <insert terrible winger here> could have came on for Falcao and United would have improved, because the rest of the team got instantly stronger as they moved into a more natural/suitable formation.

Mata, Di Maria, Falcao and even Fellaini didn't go from being great players (or at least very good) to being no hopers in the space of a season. Mata was Chelsea's player of the year two years in a row, Di Maria was Real Madrid's second best player, Falcao was tearing up the rest of of Europe with an obscene goals to game ratio. They only thing that has coincided with their career downturn has been their move to Manchester United, so they are clearly being utilised poorly, whether that was by Moyes last season or LVG this year. Neither have done a good job.

LVG needs (and should be given) time to get the club back on track, but he also needs to realise he can't shoehorn everyone in and play good football. It simply won't work, you'd think he would have figured it out after seven months. He's either going senile or he's being stubborn. If he doesn't realise this next season, he will be sacked and deservedly so.

I have never enjoyed watching Manchester United less than I have this year. Incredibly disappointing considering how excited I was when the Netherlands put five past Spain last summer.

Agree with all apart from giving him next season to get it right. If he fucks it this year I haven't seen anything to suggest he'll get it right next season. I would sack him if he doesn't make top 4.

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
Agree with all apart from giving him next season to get it right. If he fucks it this year I haven't seen anything to suggest he'll get it right next season. I would sack him if he doesn't make top 4.

An interesting point. How much money is going to be spent this summer? And for what aim, top 4 again or a title challenge this time?

Not sure if trust him with the same sort of kitty if it was me...

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
An interesting point. How much money is going to be spent this summer? And for what aim, top 4 again or a title challenge this time?

Not sure if trust him with the same sort of kitty if it was me...

If we qualify for the CL and there's no hesitation on backing the manager I think we'll see another £150m potentially being pumped out. After we signed those sponsor and kit deals it was reported we were primed to begin making Madrid style marquee signings every year. If that was the case it should clearly be the title. The fans don't want the club to be making top 4 every year, we want to challenge for and win the title, every year. Obviously this year is different as was last, but nobody wants that to become habit.

At this moment neither would I. I'd be skeptical of keeping him on even if he scraped top 4 playing like this.

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal
Twitter
@mickeyparx
He's a really fantastic player, but he needs to adapt. It's tough when you come from Real Madrid, its so different, teams basically bend over for you in La Liga and you have superstars in every position. He's a fantastic player, but LvG's system doesnt really seem to be working for anyone in particular. I personally like him on the wing, but he can play deeper as well.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram

And yet you still got an award for the worst football knowledge on TFF. ;)

Mr. Scruff

Reaction score
Supports
Danny Welbeck
As a winger or forward he's essentially a quicker version of Nani with a far inferior first touch. He should be playing in a midfield 3 as that's the position he is one of the best players in the world.

Seriously had Nan put in the performances Di Maria has put in he would have been slaughtered at OT and in the press.

The Di Maria transfer has just solidified my feelings that I dont want United to spend huge money on established players The big name transfers are just as liable to fail as the mid priced ones and buying anyone who is over 26 is huge risk financially as if they flop you are getting nothing back. Much better trying to buy from the next big thing market. You'l get some that wont work but you'll get more of a reward in terms of years or money on the good ones and make less of a loss on the flops.

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
As a winger or forward he's essentially a quicker version of Nani with a far inferior first touch. He should be playing in a midfield 3 as that's the position he is one of the best players in the world.

Seriously had Nan put in the performances Di Maria has put in he would have been slaughtered at OT and in the press.

The Di Maria transfer has just solidified my feelings that I dont want United to spend huge money on established players The big name transfers are just as liable to fail as the mid priced ones and buying anyone who is over 26 is huge risk financially as if they flop you are getting nothing back. Much better trying to buy from the next big thing market. You'l get some that wont work but you'll get more of a reward in terms of years or money on the good ones and make less of a loss on the flops.

All good points cha.

What have you made of Fellaini this season, as I know you were very critical of his signing at the time? LVG really seems to be building the attack around him, and on paper that's starting to grind out results.

Mr. Scruff

Reaction score
Supports
Danny Welbeck
He's a good player, and I I dont see alot wrong with that as a plan b last 15 minute thing. I was highly critical of the fact Moyes spent 30 million on a midfielder before deciding Giggs and Cleverley were better options.

sl1k

the one
Reaction score
Supports
Fellaini does bring different things to the team, but simply put United have always utilised technically gifted players who are easy on the eye to watch. He doesn't fit the profile. He does however have a place in the squad as a plan B guy, he properly gets into defender's faces and causes problems with his aerial threat.

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
Just been slaughtered by Robbie Savage on MOTD for his performance at Swansea, and others.

Didn't see the game so can't comment myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!