Catuvellauni v Carvetii (Cambridge v Carlisle - Jabundesliga)

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Where did I mention last nights performance being poor?

I refer you back to my original post that you quoted.

This is a schoolboy error. How many times have we seen a good performance in the cup and then back to shite on a Saturday?

Sometimes I wonder whether you deliberately try to make yourself look silly.

Im sorry greg, I misread your post.

Just enjoy the fact we won a game, so please try not to be miserable for one fucking day at least, cheers.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Only 6 of the 30 posts we've had on this thread have been from Cambridge fans, and most of next weekend's match threads haven't really got going yet. Good job we're not doing that crazy one-thread thing, every thread would basically be three pages of Carlisle fans arguing amongst themselves before everyone else's attentions even turn towards the upcoming fixtures.

I miss the Carlisle - Hartlepool threads. We could be on the tenth page by Saturday morning with the thread finally topping off in the thirties some weeks after.

Well hellogregory keeps on being a stick in the mud, so he needs told and one day he will hopefully realise what an arse he's been all this time as a Carkisle fan.

Only then there will not be so much arguing.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
Only 6 of the 30 posts we've had on this thread have been from Cambridge fans, and most of next weekend's match threads haven't really got going yet. Good job we're not doing that crazy one-thread thing, every thread would basically be three pages of Carlisle fans arguing amongst themselves before everyone else's attentions even turn towards the upcoming fixtures.

I miss the Carlisle - Hartlepool threads. We could be on the tenth page by Saturday morning with the thread finally topping off in the thirties some weeks after.
Perhaps our low profile is because the more academic in our number thought that the Cumbrians had an upcoming match with our Naaarwich neighbours.

ICENI - Tribe of Norfolk/Suffolk and the fens, with a decent brewery in the Brecklands
330px-Map_of_the_Territory_of_the_Iceni.svg.png

Folk round here were more southern focused members of the Catuvellauni tribe.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Yes I saw that but frankly couldn't be arsed to get in to a debate about historical regional tribes of England. Calling us Iceni is like calling Carlisle Scotland.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@habbinalan

The more likely explanation for a lack of early U's comment to match the Cumbrian whinge-fest, that preceded a plucky win at non-league Fleetwood, is that the saner of us have had enough of the overdose of whinges and general meltdown on our own messageboard - mainly from folk who haven't seen us kick a ball in anger since we finished last season with 3 out of 3 home wins. Admittedly we lost the 3 out of 3 away games in a fairly pitiful manner, albeit by the odd goal each time, and despite a couple of decent signings the pre-season has been pretty uninspiring - it was f*cking preseason for f*ck's sake.

I'm sure Jabo will start and score, as will Luke Berry and one or two others. Uche was blowing out of his arse after 60-70 minutes on Tuesday but staggered to the end of the match and Dunk played the full 90 minutes - so they'll both be on the bench. Jevani Brown has looked more likely to finish any Carlisle gifts than the likes of Azeez or Amoo, so he would be my third choice (possibly second ahead of Dunky) to throw on when we chase the goals in the second half.

My main doubts are at fullback. With limited options until at least 6 weeks after Halliday's mid-July appendix op, I'm sure we'll start with a standard Derry line up. After all, they were rested specifically for this match.

Forde
Davies, Legge, Taylor, Carroll
Deegan, O'Neil
Mingoia, Berry, Maris
Ibehre

4 - 2 to the U's and the meltdown will be cataclysmically nuclear, of Chernobyl proportions, if we don't win.

I can tolerate (even chuckle at) the whingeing. I can empathise with the pessimism and anger (I've been there but for now moved on). What gets right up my nose is the selectvely blind self-centred entitledness of today's social media driven fans - epitomised by the Arsenal saga but rife everywhere and growing seemingly exponentially around the Abbey at the moment. OK, you think Derry has limitations, you don't think he'll improve or learn with experience, you might be right....................You might also be wrong. Let's wait and see whilst we enjoy the journey. It might be fun.

Does this capture the mood?

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Perhaps our low profile is because the more academic in our number thought that the Cumbrians had an upcoming match with our Naaarwich neighbours.

ICENI - Tribe of Norfolk/Suffolk and the fens, with a decent brewery in the Brecklands
330px-Map_of_the_Territory_of_the_Iceni.svg.png

Folk round here were more southern focused members of the Catuvellauni tribe.
Fine fine, I just presumed the Iceni covered the whole of East Anglia... thread renamed. happy?

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@habbinalan
Fine fine, I just presumed the Iceni covered the whole of East Anglia... thread renamed. happy?
Should I go there? Yes, why not? The words "can" and "worms" spring to mind.

You were sort of right. The Angles, North Folk and South Folk, took over the Iceni's lands. However, the original kingdom of East Anglia never included Cambridge but was formed from the land of the Iceni when Norfolk and Suffolk came together as one of the 7 petty kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England. Cambridge and the fens were part of Mercia.

The question "What is or was East Anglia?" has kept the academics pontificating around the colleges (founded 1209) since the Reivers ruled the Borderlands.

375px-Anglo-Saxon_Heptarchy.jpg

Carlisle (and Workington and the rest of the hillbillies) were in Strathclyde/Scotland at that point but before (Roman Britain) and after have been all over the shop - so Laker is just confusing things by making his comparison.

330px-Yr.Hen.Ogledd.550.650.Koch.jpg

I like to think that a revival of the old tribes may be developiong up your way thanks to the efforts of Carver and his followers the Carveretti (also known as El Carv'etii).

Single thread indeed!! Off topic? never. Irritating thread titles? Bring them on.

Last edited:

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

You were sort of right. The Angles, North Folk and South Folk, took over the Iceni's lands. However, the original kingdom of East Anglia never included Cambridge but was formed from the land of the Iceni when Norfolk and Suffolk came together as one of the 7 petty kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England. Cambridge and the fens were part of Mercia.

The question "What is or was East Anglia?" has kept the academics pontificating around the colleges (founded 1209) since the Reivers ruled the Borderlands.

Carlisle (and Workington and the rest of the hillbillies) were in Strathclyde/Scotland at that point but before (Roman Britain) and after have been all over the shop - so Laker is just confusing things by making his comparison.

I like to think that a revival of the old tribes may be developiong up your way thanks to the efforts of Carver and his followers the Carveretti (also known as El Carv'etii).

Single thread indeed!! Off topic? never. Irritating thread titles? Bring them on.

Yes, though England and Scotland as we know them today didn't really exist at that point. While Cumbria was part of the Celtic kingdom of Strathclyde, it was Brythonic Celtic (like the Welsh, Cornish and Bretons today) rather than Gaelic (like the Scots and Irish) while conversely, Edinburgh was part of the Anglian kingdom of Northumbria. Your map also shows Picts, who were also Brythonic while Dal Raita was Gaelic (as opposed to being a side-order at Stanwix Tandoori) and soon to become the dominant force in what is now Scotland. Later Cumbria would become part of Northumbria too and possibly apocryphally an independent kingdom of Rheged at some point, ruled over by the legendary king Domnhall whose crown it is said lies at the bottom of a tarn near the summit of Hellvellyn, ready for when he rises again. A lot of this is based on Welsh history, the Welsh being the closest relatives to the Cumbrians (Cumbria after all is from Cymry) and the Welsh were poor historians, though the only historians we really have for this period; feeling their culture was under threat they were prone to making stuff up in an attempt to strengthen their claim to be the one true British people. Cumbria would finally become part of Scotland, Carlisle even briefly being capital of Scotland, and wasn't captured by the Normans and integrated into their kingdom of England until well after 1066 by William Rufus, son of the conqueror, Carlisle not being covered by the Domesday book.

The Carvetii meanwhile are also the name of a wannabe 'tribe' of AMF ultras, from where I would guess our mutual buddy on this forum gets his name.

Last edited:

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@habbinalan
..................The Carvetii meanwhile are also the name of a wannabe 'tribe' of AMF ultras, from where I would guess our mutual buddy on this forum gets his name.
We live and learn. I always assumed it was because of his love for a particularly nasty character in the TV series Walking Dead - which has lead to some misunderstandings in the past.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
We live and learn. I always assumed it was because of his love for a particularly nasty character in the TV series Walking Dead - which has lead to some misunderstandings in the past.

I thought the 'Car' in my name, like the 'Car' in the name Carlisle would of been an obvious clue as to what inspired my username. Not whatever the hell you are referring to.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I thought the 'Car' in my name, like the 'Car' in the name Carlisle would of been an obvious clue as to what inspired my username. Not whatever the hell you are referring to.
What about the 'ver' then? Genuinely nothing to do with the Carvetii or are you just being a contrary little oik?

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
What about the 'ver' then? Genuinely nothing to do with the Carvetii or are you just being a contrary little oik?

Why are you called shoddycollins? No one will even know who he is now.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I'm not in the mood for posting my thoughts on the game. I've been wanting Derry out for quite some time now and reckon..............OOPS.... SORRY ALAN.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United

I've always had you down for an audiophile who appreciated Carver products, hence your choice of username.

118697_large_83cb4f947ae751b5a6fe1c5f41c6077a.jpg

upload_2017-8-10_14-7-8.jpeg

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@habbinalan
I'm not in the mood for posting my thoughts on the game. I've been wanting Derry out for quite some time now and reckon..............OOPS.... SORRY ALAN.

I'm feeling quite tolerant and bucolic, as I've just been out picking some raspberries and digging some spuds, so by all means go ahead.

However, I have a suggestion. Why don't you and Mr Pickles just disappear into a dark corner once a week and get it all out there? This might help push things along:

Last edited:

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
I've always had you down for an audiophile who appreciated Carver products, hence your choice of username.

118697_large_83cb4f947ae751b5a6fe1c5f41c6077a.jpg

View attachment 6923

Why don't you let us know what your username is all about? Vanni? I am interested to know exactly what a Vanni is, as it sounds to me like it could be a type of flower or a word to describe someone who does some weird shit and is ashamed of it enough to not want people to know what it is they get up to in private.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Haha, good suggestion but I reckon there are more suitable people on our mb who are much more intolerant of Derry than myself. But yes, I'm definitely on the Derry out side, and have been for quite some time now.

As for this year, I'm always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt so to speak, and I wasn't that disappointed we were beaten at Exeter. For starters, they are a decent side and I predicted them for the play offs this year, so I knew it was going to be tough. Secondly, Carroll's needless handball didn't help things at all and made a tough job even tougher. So a 1-0 defeat is all understandable afaic. But you're wrong that very few of us have watched the team play this year, as loads did watch the Exeter match via iFollow. I don't reckon anyone of us had to watch the Cup game to make up our minds, as there was nothing to see.

But then what does our maverick manager goes on to do - he makes 9 changes and plays the kids at the Mem against The Gas, when the word was already out they were going to play their first team. To me this signifies loads of things - he doesn't a fuck about the travelling fans (did you get a refund btw? No? Thought so), he doesn't care about protecting the younger players at our club (any manager worth his salt knows that pitting your kids against much more experienced ones only helps to chip away at any confidence they may have), he saw the match as a pre season friendly (like we didn't play enough PSF already this year), and he also wanted to rest his first choice players. Now, and I'm sure that anybody who knows what he's talking about will concur with this, players at all levels of the game will be raring to go after all that gruelling pre season training and PSF matches. IOW, not one of the playing squad needs to do any resting after only playing a single league match.

This is just the tip of the iceberg on why Derry continued to further alienate the fanbase after that mind boggling line up. But you get the gist on why my hopes that this year will be different have already vanished into thin air.

Here's a tune for the eternal optimist.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Why don't you let us know what your username is all about? Vanni? I am interested to know exactly what a Vanni is, as it sounds to me like it could be a type of flower or a word to describe someone who does some weird shit and is ashamed of it enough to not want people to know what it is they get up to in private.

The only weird shit I do is only whenever there's the.......Oh never mind, it's none of your business.

I still don't know why all this fuss over a username. My first choice was actually hegatdjhs77ehdjk but then I thought that I would have a bit of trouble remembering it so choose a simpler one. I've said it before in the shoutbox, and I thought you were a regular in there, but vanni is just short for Giovanni, and no, my name's not Giovanni. A pretty common name esp. down in Southern Europe like Italy, Spain, etc etc. You'll also find several Vannis all over the www. 'Cos just like I said, there are thousands of people who're called Giovanni, and they go by the shortened name instead.

Anything else love?

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
The only weird shit I do is only whenever there's the.......Oh never mind, it's none of your business.

I still don't know why all this fuss over a username. My first choice was actually hegatdjhs77ehdjk but then I thought that I would have a bit of trouble remembering it so choose a simpler one. I've said it before in the shoutbox, and I thought you were a regular in there, but vanni is just short for Giovanni, and no, my name's not Giovanni. A pretty common name esp. down in Southern Europe like Italy, Spain, etc etc. You'll also find several Vannis all over the www. 'Cos just like I said, there are thousands of people who're called Giovanni, and they go by the shortened name instead.

Anything else love?

DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE IM A WOMAN.

Saying stuff like love and babe to me etc.

Actually there is something else, we're gonna beat you on Saturday, I gurantee it.

Last edited:

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

Actually there is something else, we're gonna beat you on Saturday, I gurantee it.

Vanni just called you 'love', he didn't call you 'babe'... you must be remembering something you'd repressed during your time at HMP Durham.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Vanni just called you 'love', he didn't call you 'babe'... you must be remembering something you'd repressed during your time at HMP Durham.

He called me babe in the shoutbox earlier with a few kisses.

Oh and no, I stayed straight when I was in Durham, no one came near me.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United

OK, there's something I want to ask you though. Are you allowed to go to BP or are you still banned? Serious question, because if you still can't, then you should get that iFollow stream thingy.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Oh Shoddy, I nearly forgot to tell you. Rumour is we're going to have a new competitor league to our little one, the CTFC one. The three competing sides are nowhere near our standard, obviously, but I was enjoying the monopoly we had before all this.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
OK, there's something I want to ask you though. Are you allowed to go to BP or are you still banned? Serious question, because if you still can't, then you should get that iFollow stream thingy.

I was never banned from bp. I know my limits vanni.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!