Stickied Championship - Away Support Thread 2023/24

Another Walkley Owl

Reaction score
Supports
SWFC
Surprised Brighton didn't sell out, but those who came were excellent and never gave up. They just couldn't be heard, due to the noise we made. Great night, hope we can complete the job down there. Sure our 2k will make themselves heard.

MillerWhale

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Bristol Rovers support is far better than ours, and half of this division, including Bristol City.

Grimsby? Hmmmm. Think like us, depends how they're doing. I've seen them bring 500 to is when struggling but I've also seen them
fill the Railway End. Good bunch, and even though they hate Yorkshire, they're always good value and would be welcome back with open arms of they can hold on today.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Bristol Rovers support is far better than ours, and half of this division, including Bristol City.

Grimsby? Hmmmm. Think like us, depends how they're doing. I've seen them bring 500 to is when struggling but I've also seen them
fill the Railway End. Good bunch, and even though they hate Yorkshire, they're always good value and would be welcome back with open arms of they can hold on today.
They've just won back-to-back promotions, their away support has been bolstered this year because of that. They don't always travel well away from home; if we'd have gone up this season we'd have had a very good average as well.

Grimsby averaged 600 away from home this season in their 5th year in the Conference, if that was Rovers they'd struggle to maintain those numbers.

Reaper

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham
Yeah i rate Grimsby away support aswel and think there also up there but if we were in the conference and challenging at the top end of the table we would sell out every away end around the country im certain of it.

Gerry Gow

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City

On their day, yes they do travel well on occasions. But to say their support is better than ours is a little much! You can't really compare when they were in League 2 this season. I'd be very surprised if they sold 43,000 to Wembley for a JPT final.

They're like an annoying little brother!

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
On their day, yes they do travel well on occasions. But to say their support is better than ours is a little much! You can't really compare when they were in League 2 this season. I'd be very surprised if they sold 43,000 to Wembley for a JPT final.

They're like an annoying little brother!

They had 40,000 at both the millennium stadium for a JPT final and Wembley for a play-off final in 2007. They were in L2 then.

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
They had 40,000 at both the millennium stadium for a JPT final and Wembley for a play-off final in 2007. They were in L2 then.

There's loads of c*** in Bristol they'll tag on when it comes to Wembley, whether it be with us or the Gas. Wembley figures mean absolutely nothing.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
There's loads of c*** in Bristol they'll tag on when it comes to Wembley, whether it be with us or the Gas. Wembley figures mean absolutely nothing.

I know, I was just referring to Gerry Cow's comment about doubting Rovers would take in excess of 40k to Wembley.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Potential is there for if we ever make the big time at least.

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Potential is there for if we ever make the big time at least.

So then we'll have the c*** who couldn't give a flying fuck about our club coming along every week? Buzzing!!

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
So then we'll have the c*** who couldn't give a flying fuck about our club coming along every week? Buzzing!!
Yeah, same as a lot of clubs who make the PL do.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
Don't talk such rubbish!
You do realise that our capacity has been limited for 2 seasons and has been sold out (for home fans) on all but 2 occasions in that time? The gas sold their hovel out ONCE last season with a much lower capacity.
Season tickets sales, the last time I looked, r*vers were around 4,000 while we were past 14,000.
Better support than us? I think not, not even close!
Their away support deserves respect, I will give them that but to compare them to us is a bit disrespectful TBH, unless you're a WUM.

Reactions: JJH

MillerWhale

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Just putting my opinion forward. Bristol C only over manage around 700/800 to us whereas Rovers managed 550 when bottom of League 2.

If ever they managed to get the (relative) success you've had, I think they'd be the bigger club. They'd have the north of Bristol and most of Bath.

A new stadium and a bit of success and you'll soon realise how much your support has plateaued.

Sucking up to true big clubs here on this forum will not change that.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Just putting my opinion forward. Bristol C only over manage around 700/800 to us whereas Rovers managed 550 when bottom of League 2.

If ever they managed to get the (relative) success you've had, I think they'd be the bigger club. They'd have the north of Bristol and most of Bath.

A new stadium and a bit of success and you'll soon realise how much your support has plateaued.

I live in north Bristol and I can tell you for a fact that I know many more City fans than I do Sags.

The point is, their stadium is miles off, same as when we tried for Ashton Vale - it's so very unlikely. I'm not sure what success you speak of either...

To put it into comparison - we had 43,000 at the JPT final last year, they had 32,000 in the Play-Off final. We've a much bigger fanbase than them, and saying daft stuff like 'if they had spent their history above you' doesn't come into play, because they haven't, therefore they aren't the bigger club and they have a smaller fanbase.

Reaper

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham
Ive never seen huge numbers from both Bristol clubs travel to Rotherham but at the same time we never travel well to Bristol either probably cos it takes forever. If Bristol Rovers and Bristol City were both in the same division id still say Bristol City would get higher crowds though and are a bigger club imo.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Ive never seen huge numbers from both Bristol clubs travel to Rotherham but at the same time we never travel well to Bristol either probably cos it takes forever. If Bristol Rovers and Bristol City were both in the same division id still say Bristol City would get higher crowds though and are a bigger club imo.
It's not even up for debate, there isn't a sane Rovers fan on the planet that claims they have better support, a bigger fanbase or are a bigger club.

Anyway, it's well documented that we don't really travel superbly up north, neither do they.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
It's not even up for debate, there isn't a sane Rovers fan on the planet that claims they have better support, a bigger fanbase or are a bigger club.

Anyway, it's well documented that we don't really travel superbly up north, neither do they.
We CAN travel in numbers up North and have done just that but generally we tend to have far bigger numbers in the Midlands and South / South east.

Reactions: JJH

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC

I live right in the heart of gas country, literally right in the middle of it and it's a hell of a lot more diluted than it used to be. When I was growing up, City were in the top division but you NEVER saw a red shirt on this side of the city, now there are loads of City fans in this area.
As for Bath supporting the gas, no, not really.
Our numbers have 'plateaued' because we CANT GET ANY MORE HOME FANS IN THE GROUND!! This changes next season so let's see whose support goes up then.
Good effort though.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
I live in north Bristol and I can tell you for a fact that I know many more City fans than I do Sags.

The point is, their stadium is miles off, same as when we tried for Ashton Vale - it's so very unlikely. I'm not sure what success you speak of either...

To put it into comparison - we had 43,000 at the JPT final last year, they had 32,000 in the Play-Off final. We've a much bigger fanbase than them, and saying daft stuff like 'if they had spent their history above you' doesn't come into play, because they haven't, therefore they aren't the bigger club and they have a smaller fanbase.

Come on now mate, you're better than the Wembley debate. 32,000 in a play-off final, a conference play-off final no less is pretty impressive.

As I said earlier in the thread, as a league club Rovers took 40,000 to both Cardiff and Wembley in the same season, held the record for most fans at Wembley before Millwall beat it. And as your co-City fan rightly says, Wembley attendances mean nothing. Prime example being Millwall breaking the record by taking more than 30,000 more than their home average!

Just to be clear, I don't think Rovers are bigger than City or as well supported (though I do doubt there is much in it) and I shouldn't think anyone other than Millerwhale does. I just think Wembley attendances are an unfair comparison.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
Come on now mate, you're better than the Wembley debate. 32,000 in a play-off final, a conference play-off final no less is pretty impressive.

As I said earlier in the thread, as a league club Rovers took 40,000 to both Cardiff and Wembley in the same season, held the record for most fans at Wembley before Millwall beat it. And as your co-City fan rightly says, Wembley attendances mean nothing. Prime example being Millwall breaking the record by taking more than 30,000 more than their home average!

Just to be clear, I don't think Rovers are bigger than City or as well supported (though I do doubt there is much in it) and I shouldn't think anyone other than Millerwhale does. I just think Wembley attendances are an unfair comparison.
Eh? They took 12,000 LESS to an important promotion play off final than we took to our 5th tin pot cup final yet it's an unfair comparison?
Was the distance more? No. Were the prices higher? No. Were the trains on strike? No. Was it played on an awkward day of the week? No.
It seems like a very fair comparison to me Bobbin.
Did you go to the gas' play off final out of interest what with your 'soft spot'? ;)

CFC2010

Reaction score
Supports
Chester
Yeah i rate Grimsby away support aswel and think there also up there but if we were in the conference and challenging at the top end of the table we would sell out every away end around the country im certain of it.

If it was your first season then maybe you would, though I very much doubt it. Certainly wouldn't after 6 seasons.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Eh? They took 12,000 LESS to an important promotion play off final than we took to our 5th tin pot cup final yet it's an unfair comparison?
Was the distance more? No. Were the prices higher? No. Were the trains on strike? No. Was it played on an awkward day of the week? No.
It seems like a very fair comparison to me Bobbin.
Did you go to the gas' play off final out of interest what with your 'soft spot'? ;)

It was still the conference, I don't think any club would take the same amount as a side running away with league one on a day out for a game they probably fully expected to win.

It is an unfair comparison, because we don't know how many City fans would go to see their side in a conference play-off final but we do know that Rovers would take 40,000 to a league play-off final and a JPT final, because they have.
Incidentally, the conference play-off final last season broke that particular attendance record too, largely contributed to by Gasheads.

As you asked, I didn't go to last years final but I went to both finals in 2007 and a few league games during that season when Charlton weren't playing (the good old PL days so we had a lot of Sunday games etc)

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
It was still the conference, I don't think any club would take the same amount as a side running away with league one on a day out for a game they probably fully expected to win.

It is an unfair comparison, because we don't know how many City fans would go to see their side in a conference play-off final but we do know that Rovers would take 40,000 to a league play-off final and a JPT final, because they have.
Incidentally, the conference play-off final last season broke that particular attendance record too, largely contributed to by Gasheads.

As you asked, I didn't go to last years final but I went to both finals in 2007 and a few league games during that season when Charlton weren't playing (the good old PL days so we had a lot of Sunday games etc)
It was billed as 'The biggest game in the clubs' history' FFS!
Their support is admirable, I will give them that.
Your 'soft spot' needs surgery mate. ;)

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City

I agree, I think both of our Wembley followings were decent so it's not me slating the gas. The same as Ciderup - I never knock their support over the course of the season because I think their numbers are very respectable for a club of their size, I just can't fathom the Rotherham fan saying their support is better than half of this league including ours.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Bristol city are a bit bigger than bristol rovers similar to what Wednesday are to us. More seasons in higher leagues, slightly bigger crowds at home and away , all time more successful. There's not a great deal in either rivalry though especially if we're on a level playing field with each other.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Bristol city are a bit bigger than bristol rovers similar to what Wednesday are to us. More seasons in higher leagues, slightly bigger crowds at home and away , all time more successful. There's not a great deal in either rivalry though especially if we're on a level playing field with each other.
If Rovers were in this league they'd probably struggle for 10k, so there would be quite a difference. They've never played in the top slight and haven't had many years at this level. They're a L1 club historically.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
If Rovers were in this league they'd probably struggle for 10k, so there would be quite a difference. They've never played in the top slight and haven't had many years at this level. They're a L1 club historically.

If they got a new ground and a rich owner basically like you have so like I said on a level playing field they wouldn't be too far behind you I don't think. I know what they've been historically that's why I said you've been more successful and had more years in higher leagues.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
If they got a new ground and a rich owner basically like you have so like I said on a level playing field they wouldn't be too far behind you I don't think. I know what they've been historically that's why I said you've been more successful and had more years in higher leagues.
Well they reckon they've found a rich owner now and are now set for their new stadium so we'll see in years to come.

statto

Reaction score
Supports
BORO
Historically (up to 2015), City 13,263 Rovers 9,640.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowper

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!