Status
Not open for further replies.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Slumped a win over Tunisia & killed the game with set pieces against a non entity Panama - CALM THE FUCK DOWN!

Both matches were boring albeit drama for the Tunisia win. This rigid flawed gameplan which relies on pacey forwards with no composure to score is not going to beat a good team. Stop faking.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
Slumped a win over Tunisia & killed the game with set pieces against a non entity Panama - CALM THE FUCK DOWN!

Yeah, all those people claiming we're gonna win it.

Hugh and Aber sitting in a tree......

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Yeah, all those people claiming we're gonna win it.

Hugh and Aber sitting in a tree......
Of which there are plenty. This fake humility of "I'm not saying we're going to win it but it's so refreshing the way we're playing - we may just WIN IT!" is so nauseating. England fans are more tolerable when they have the courage of their arrogance.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Not as nauseating as people from Wales, Scotland and Ireland criticising anything English.

England lose and it’s all laughs and jokes, when they win it’s ‘yeah but you’re still not gonna win it’

Yawn yawn yawn.

Don’t forget, whilst England maybe beating ‘non-league teams’ they are still teams that have actually managed to qualify for the World Cup, unlike some others.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Not as nauseating as people from Wales, Scotland and Ireland criticising anything English.

England lose and it’s all laughs and jokes, when they win it’s ‘yeah but you’re still not gonna win it’

Yawn yawn yawn.

Don’t forget, whilst England maybe beating ‘non-league teams’ they are still teams that have actually managed to qualify for the World Cup, unlike some others.
err I support england and all home nations at a finals. I'm just able to be objective and objectively england don't have a fucking chance. No issue with people "enjoying" it's the delusion I can't stand.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
err I support england and all home nations at a finals. I'm just able to be objective and objectively england don't have a fucking chance. No issue with people "enjoying" it's the delusion I can't stand.

Almost everyone has said that England won’t win it.

I notice you haven’t been as objectively critical on other match day threads of other nations that have struggled against the so called poorer sides.

But of course, you’re right behind England.

mase

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United

Yawn yawn yawn.

TRUTH

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
:lol:

Charlton 1-0 Swansea

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
Not being funny, but the fella has been on the forum for years. If you don’t get the routine by now, then you need a word with yourself

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What are people's thoughts on the lots drawing? If we draw with Belgium and pick up 1 more yellow card than they do in the game then it will be drawn on random.

Cant remember where but don't some organise penalties between the 2 teams? That would be much more interesting

St. Juste

Reaction score
Supports
St. Mirren
In previous WC's we'd have probably drawn with Tunisia and gtound out a dull 2-0 win v Panama. Our football would have been stale, outdated and boring as fuck with most players looking scared to play properly.

That's why we're all buzzing to see things being completely different this time. Might not be world beaters but we're bloody good to watch and are giving this a proper go, and the players look like they are enjoying themselves.

Btw good to see ex-FGR striker Allan Russell making a big contribution to the set-up as striker coach, apparently he's been behind some of the free-kick routines.

And, indeed, a former St. Mirren player from Glasgow.

Quite interesting that he's got such a good gig as a coach as he wasn't much of a player.

Fair play to him, I'm glad he's done well.

England are, quite obviously, judged on different plains from Scotland or Wales. And Germany and Brazil are judged on different plains from England. We can have a good qualifying campaign and not qualify, England can have a good World Cup and not win (Brazil cannot).

As said before, I didn't watch the game, but it certainly looks like a good result and performance with England especially proficient from set pieces.

I'm merely parodying the massively over the top reaction to it (and I'm far from the only person doing it, even the BBC are indulging in it).

When Germany thrashed Saudi Arabia 7-0 the UK press was all about attacking the Saudis rather than praising the Germans.

Is it Englands best moment in a World Cup since 1966? Serious question, as it may well be.

TomPNE94

Big Mak Fan
Reaction score
Supports
Simon Makienok
Twitter
@TomMonks94

Quite interesting that he's got such a good gig as a coach as he wasn't much of a player.

England are, quite obviously, judged on different plains from Scotland or Wales. And Germany and Brazil are judged on different plains from England. We can have a good qualifying campaign and not qualify, England can have a good World Cup and not win (Brazil cannot).

As said before, I didn't watch the game, but it certainly looks like a good result and performance with England especially proficient from set pieces.

I'm merely parodying the massively over the top reaction to it (and I'm far from the only person doing it, even the BBC are indulging in it).

When Germany thrashed Saudi Arabia 7-0 the UK press was all about attacking the Saudis rather than praising the Germans.

Is it Englands best moment in a World Cup since 1966? Serious question, as it may well be.
You'll probably say I'm biased but both Brazil and Germany have looked distinctly average so far against admittedly better opposition than Tunisia and Panama. I would fancy us to beat either.

St. Juste

Reaction score
Supports
St. Mirren
You'll probably say I'm biased but both Brazil and Germany have looked distinctly average so far against admittedly better opposition than Tunisia and Panama. I would fancy us to beat either.

Not really, I would expect most England fans would have this attitude.

In my opinion, it doesn't particularly correspond to reality. England have one player that would make either of those teams.

And it's not Walker, he managed to look bad against Tunisia.

TomPNE94

Big Mak Fan
Reaction score
Supports
Simon Makienok
Twitter
@TomMonks94
Not really, I would expect most England fans would have this attitude.

In my opinion, it doesn't particularly correspond to reality. England have one player that would make either of those teams.

And it's not Walker, he managed to look bad against Tunisia.
Pickford is better than Alisson for a start. Kane is better than Jesus. Trippier is better than Fagner. So that's 3 straight away.

Either way, that's not really relevant, if they can't play together as a team it doesn't really matter how good the players are, look at Argentina for example who probably have the best strikeforce/attack in the tournament on paper.

We've got a system that works and players to suit it. Fucking brilliant at set pieces too which will cause any team a problem.

St. Juste

Reaction score
Supports
St. Mirren
Pickford is better than Alisson for a start. Kane is better than Jesus. Trippier is better than Fagner. So that's 3 straight away.

Either way, that's not really relevant, if they can't play together as a team it doesn't really matter how good the players are, look at Argentina for example who probably have the best strikeforce/attack in the tournament on paper.

We've got a system that works and players to suit it. Fucking brilliant at set pieces too which will cause any team a problem.

Can't really get past that unfortunately.

Allisson is an excellent keeper coming off a fantastic season at Roma where he is being linked with Real Madrid. Pickford has come off a poor season with Everton where he shipped three goals in his last league game. They aren't even comparable.

Regarding set pieces, they will surely be less effective against stronger more organised opposition.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United

Of course not. That would go to our run to the semi finals in 1990 I imagine. In terms of a one off game, the win over Denmark in 2002 was more impressive than yesterday and that’s just off the top of the head of a 34 year old who has a poor memory of anything pre 1990.

But yesterday was a good performance against a poor side. Does it mean anything in terms of us winning the tournament? Definitely not. But it’s nice to have a positive, relatively stress free run to the knock out stages for a change. Most of us are just enjoying it and the hype is the press rather than individuals. No one at my work has actually spoken about anything besides the fact we scored just one goal that wasn’t a fluke from open play, how dirty Panama were and what sort of team we should play against Belgium.

TomPNE94

Big Mak Fan
Reaction score
Supports
Simon Makienok
Twitter
@TomMonks94
Can't really get past that unfortunately.

Allisson is an excellent keeper coming off a fantastic season at Roma where he is being linked with Real Madrid. Pickford has come off a poor season with Everton where he shipped three goals in his last league game. They aren't even comparable.

Regarding set pieces, they will surely be less effective against stronger more organised opposition.
Allisson isn't even the best keeper in the Brazil squad, Ederson is far better. I'm probably biased towards Pickford tbf so i'll give you that one, notice you didn't argue the other two tho.

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
A single unitary authority for urban Dorset
For a comparison that comes to my mind:

In 2006 England laboured past Concacaf qualifiers Trinidad and Tobago 2-0. We needed two late goals, one arguably a foul from Crouch, and the other from Gerrard in stoppage time. That England side under Eriksson were on paper far better man for man than our current squad. Yet it was frustrating and not enjoyable in the slightest to watch.

In 2006 Trinidad and Tobago were ranked 91st in the World, compared with Panama currently ranked 55th, for what it's worth.

TomPNE94

Big Mak Fan
Reaction score
Supports
Simon Makienok
Twitter
@TomMonks94
For a comparison that comes to my mind:

In 2006 England laboured past Concacaf qualifiers Trinidad and Tobago 2-0. We needed two late goals, one arguably a foul from Crouch, and the other from Gerrard in stoppage time. That England side under Eriksson were on paper far better man for man than our current squad. Yet it was frustrating and not enjoyable in the slightest to watch.

In 2006 Trinidad and Tobago were ranked 91st in the World, compared with Panama currently ranked 55th, for what it's worth.
This is it, in the past we'd have struggled to a 1-0 win yesterday. We can only beat what's in front of us.

St. Juste

Reaction score
Supports
St. Mirren
Of course not. That would go to our run to the semi finals in 1990 I imagine. In terms of a one off game, the win over Denmark in 2002 was more impressive than yesterday and that’s just off the top of the head of a 34 year old who has a poor memory of anything pre 1990.

But yesterday was a good performance against a poor side. Does it mean anything in terms of us winning the tournament? Definitely not. But it’s nice to have a positive, relatively stress free run to the knock out stages for a change. Most of us are just enjoying it and the hype is the press rather than individuals. No one at my work has actually spoken about anything besides the fact we scored just one goal that wasn’t a fluke from open play, how dirty Panama were and what sort of team we should play against Belgium.

Really? The semi final run in 1990 wasn't that impressive. England laboured past Cameroon and Belgium after extra time. They only managed one win in the group stage, struggling 1-0 past Egypt.

The achievement of making a semi final maybe, but stand out performance wise Panama might edge it. Indeed, is there anything in the Euros that compare? It might be Englands best moment in international football since 1966 (with the possible exception of reaching the 90 semi final).

Allisson isn't even the best keeper in the Brazil squad, Ederson is far better. I'm probably biased towards Pickford tbf so i'll give you that one, notice you didn't argue the other two tho.

Ederson is a great keeper, and yet not as good as Alison. Hence why the latter is starting.

Kane would play ahead of Jesus, hence the one I referenced earlier, whilst Trippier isn't as good as Alves (Brazils regular right back) nor Danilo who I would play ahead of Fagner.

Fagner might be great, but had to test when he doesn't play in European football.

You really can't. And if you think you can, that is half the problem.

Except, we can (and did). For the 2008 qualifying campaign we beat France twice and finished ahead of then WC QFs Ukraine. It was a fantastic campaign but Italy and France qualified ahead of us in the only two spots available.

The fact people don't understand this is astonishing. The odds are stacked against nations like Scotland for WC Qualifying, and it will only improve slightly with a 48 team WC.

If we go in thinking every campaign without qualification is a failure, we will keep ripping up systems and exist in a state of flux rather than building on success.

mente captus

Reaction score
Supports
wins
Tbf you have beaten tunesia and Panama.

Panamas squad is really awful. One of them is playing for the reserve side of KrC Genk in Belgium, One in the second mexican division and one in Guatemala ffs.

Anyway: Fun fact. Its the first time since the 1966 final that England has scored 4 or more goals at a wc.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Really? The semi final run in 1990 wasn't that impressive. England laboured past Cameroon and Belgium after extra time. They only managed one win in the group stage, struggling 1-0 past Egypt.

The achievement of making a semi final maybe, but stand out performance wise Panama might edge it. Indeed, is there anything in the Euros that compare? It might be Englands best moment in international football since 1966 (with the possible exception of reaching the 90 semi final).

Ederson is a great keeper, and yet not as good as Alison. Hence why the latter is starting.

Kane would play ahead of Jesus, hence the one I referenced earlier, whilst Trippier isn't as good as Alves (Brazils regular right back) nor Danilo who I would play ahead of Fagner.

Fagner might be great, but had to test when he doesn't play in European football.

Except, we can (and did). For the 2008 qualifying campaign we beat France twice and finished ahead of then WC QFs Ukraine. It was a fantastic campaign but Italy and France qualified ahead of us in the only two spots available.

The fact people don't understand this is astonishing. The odds are stacked against nations like Scotland for WC Qualifying, and it will only improve slightly with a 48 team WC.

If we go in thinking every campaign without qualification is a failure, we will keep ripping up systems and exist in a state of flux rather than building on success.
Ok but for this year's WC qualification, what would you class that? Slovakia has a population of 200k more - I live here, football isn't even their 1st sport either.

In general though I'd agree with your point of failure/qualifying for a WC but for the Euros Scotland should be challenging a lot more.

You're the 26th largest country in Europe and most likely invest a lot more into football than many countries who are even larger than you do.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
I can't fucking wait for Belgium to restore some order. England fans have actually gone crazy.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End

The 3-1 win over a France side that had Platini and Tigana in 82 ranks higher.

As does a 3-0 wins against Paraguay and Denmark in the knock out stages of 86 & 2002.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
^mauling the Argies was better

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
I can't fucking wait for Belgium to restore some order. England fans have actually gone crazy.

Strange thing to say for someone who supports England and all home nations at finals.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Strange thing to say for someone who supports England and all home nations at finals.
You need a dose of reality for your own sake. I cannot actually believe that after struggling to beat Tunisia and doing a professional job against minnows Panama all of a sudden England fans think it's coming home. What's with this "we're playing the best football" coming from too? You aren't. You ran around like men possessed for 25 mins v tunis and ended up injuring one of your best players in the process - the dumbest opening game tactics of an England side I can remember.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
I can't speak for everyone but from what I can tell, anyone who has wrote 'it's coming home' on forums and social media is clearly saying it tongue in cheek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!