FGR v Tranmere Rovers: 25th Sep

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
1632031631903.png

With last season’s promotion of Cheltenham Town FC, the game most FGR fans are looking forward to watching is against Tranmere (admittedly some with trepidation). The two clubs have known each other for less than a decade but in that time there has developed a decent competitiveness to every game.

Tranmere’s local and traditional opponents probably top their list of ‘must see’ games but I bet FGR are now high amongst that number.
Of late both clubs regularly appear in play-offs:

2015: FGR v Bristol Rovers
2016: FGR v Grimsby [final]
2017: FGR v Tranmere [promoted]
2019: FGR v Tranmere
2020: FGR v Newport

# # # # # # # # # # # #

2017: Tranmere v FGR [final]
2018: Tranmere v Boreham Wood [promoted]
2019: Tranmere v FGR
~~~~ Tranmere v Newport [promoted]
2020: Season ended early due to Covid-19 virus. League decided on a points per game basis. Relegated to League Two
2021: Tranmere v Morecambe

Having twice met in play-offs with one win apiece it does create something special. Last season was first occasion when both teams were in play-offs but neither club promoted.
Of the 11 games between the two Rovers, eight have been on other days than a Saturday.
The first win by FGR in April ’17 was where FGR stole a win at Prenton Park with a breakaway goal just before full time. Tranmere had totally dominated match. The away Supporter’s Coach was stoned outside ground on return trip to Gloucestershire.
That win set up FGR nicely for Wembley play-off final a month later.
FGR fans still retain a great deal of respect towards the Tranmere supporters who were very complimentary to their winning opponents after final whistle.

Visits to Prenton Park are always a pleasure. The impressive statue of John King outside ground indicates the proud history of club. Alas although the ground is grand and was improved during their glory years of the 1990s in preparation for potential promotion to Premier League, it is now slightly run down.
Twice FGR fans have crashed over seating while celebrating a goal. I’ve spoken to those who were injured in fall and they all said it was accidental. CCTV also showed the damage to Tranmere’s seating was not malicious but as result of crowd swaying forward in exuberant celebrations.
Pity it happened because it has soured relationships from Tranmere towards FGR. Although not involved I offer my apologies and regrets for these incidents.

BTW the last time there was a dedicated FGR/Tranmere thread I think it ran to about 26 pages !!!

I guess now is best time for FGR to play Tranmere while they are not in top form.

My forecast: FGR 3-1 Tranmere

Last edited:

RLC

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Good post, but Prenton Park is run down ? Really ?

There has been a lot of improvement work in recent years and it is smarter than most grounds at this level.

We actually put in our best performance of the season yesterday, with a number of tactical changes, so possibly coming into form.

birkenhead tranny

Reaction score
Supports
tranny rovers
looking forward to seeing our ref celebrating on the barriers again !. on the subject of the fgr ultras rioting at Prenton Park lets not start that one again ! swa swa

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
Forgot to mention that when the two Rovers were first pitted against each other, it was a false assumption down in rural Gloucestershire that they were Scousers.
We were quickly put right. :emb:

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
Good post, but Prenton Park is run down ? Really ?

There has been a lot of improvement work in recent years and it is smarter than most grounds at this level.
I'm happy to agree that Prenton Park is smarter than most [all] grounds at this level.
Certainly much, much better than TNL.

We actually put in our best performance of the season yesterday, with a number of tactical changes, so possibly coming into form.
I certainly do hope Tranmere run into decent form, but only after their game at TNL. :mell:

Huntsman94

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Last time we went to Forest Green and fans were allowed we were dancing on your pitch.. Same again Saturday please :bg:

All seriousness it’s definitely a game our fans look out for each season. Whilst we haven’t started on fire, we’re solid in mid table and only 3 off the autos currently. All that with figuring the squad and new signings out which resulted in our best performance yesterday where we should have hit Salford for 4 or 5 really.

I’ll go for a 1-1 draw. We’re defensively very good and we’ve scored 6 in our last two now in all comps so we’re finding that rectangular thing at the end of the pitch!

The Jovial Forester

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
We should bring Cooper back as loan manager for this one and shithouse a one nil just for old time's sake.
Tranmere probably better placed to probe our flap prone defence than some of our recent opposition but we have started keeping clean sheets and go into this in good nick. Just need not to have another no show like against Vale.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Tranmere will be a lot better then Stevenage, so doubt we’ll be as good going forward but confidence is high atm.

Our ability to shithouse will define our season, it’s alright winning when your playing well but it’s the teams that shithouse the best that stay up there for the whole season. We did some decent time wasting v Northampton last week which was encouraging, and with Ebou Adams back from suspension that should help too.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Last time we went to Forest Green and fans were allowed we were dancing on your pitch.. Same again Saturday please :bg:
Yeah and one of your fans punched Nathan McGinley...still hacked off about that, no excuses for behaviour like that...please stay off the pitch on Saturday!

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Can be pretty sure Dale Vince will be busy on social media this week….

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Never been to Forest Green and after the remarks on these boards about your facilities for away fans, it can wait a bit longer. Good news for Tranmere in that it’s approaching 12 years since I last saw us win in an away fixture in a competitive game.

Too early to call, we are boosted by having the return of a genuine and competent left-back in Calum Macdonald who will hopefully be available again. Spearing’s ban will be a blow, although he hasn’t been at his best so far. Micky is gradually getting to know an almost completely new squad and get the feel of the best line-up, but suspect it may be a bit longer before the best of this squad is evident.

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
TBH while it is undoubtedly the case that our away facilities are (a) bad and (b) unacceptable, I'd rather face them at this time of year than in the depths of winter. Have no idea why people still think of Oldham's ground as the coldest or most windswept in the EFL....and the West (away) Stand is obviously by far the most exposed to all elements of the Cotswolds.

Expecting a challenging, enjoyable, tight game that could go either (or neither) way. Noting that Tranmere have only let three goals in so far in league games this season, which is some defence. And Mellon is a manager worthy of great respect. Going to be some careful tactical play to try and break that down, but it's gonna be tough. I'd wager that Ebou Adams is gonna be out in full force.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Can be pretty sure Dale Vince will be busy on social media this week….
Announcing some new partners for the club no doubt...mind you he seems to have just about everything covered,

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
looking forward to seeing our ref celebrating on the barriers again !.
1632127799931.png

Photo copied from FGR Supporter's Club website.
" One famous Tranmere supporter is Premier League referee, Mike Dean. Many Rovers fans will know this, after the infamous photograph of Dean celebrating Tranmere’s victory over Rovers at The New Lawn in the 2019 League 2 play-off semi-final."

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Announcing some new partners for the club no doubt...mind you he seems to have just about everything covered,

Well maybe that too, I meant he’d be winding up Tranmere fans, which seems to be a hobby of his.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Heard him (Dale) on R5 this morning, talking about the current energy crisis, so maybe he has something a little more important than football to divert his attention this week.

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
"The club is proud to announce it has been recognised by the UN as the first football club in the world to announce an official Abusing and Mocking Fans of a Rival Club in Birkenhead partner"

RLC

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Jay Spearing's red card last Saturday has been rescinded, which means he is available for this game. Good news as he is still a key player for us, particularly in tricky games away from home.

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
FGR top of table by 4 clear points but one does wonder if that is a false position?

Everybody knows that FGR are in a standing well above their size, and it is inevitable they will return crashing back down to earth sometime in the future.

Hopefully not in the near future.

Dale Vince is sole reason for FGR’s magnificent achievements but he is only a decade away from retirement. And of course with the current economic problems surrounding energy businesses, FGR fans must worry that Ecotricity could go bust and bring down FGR in its wake.

But as they all say: “Enjoy while it lasts.”

But going back to football and my first question; looking at the table, FGR have played 5 teams in top half of table, including 3 in play-off places. Of those 5 games: - 3 wins, 1 draw & 1 loss.

(We have still to play L Orient and Harrogate, who both fill other two places in auto-promotion spots.)

Therefore it could be said that FGR are holding their own against other potential promotion seeking clubs while beating the rest.

Tranmere are in top half of table, so against our Merseyside rivals it will be a guaranteed tough test for FGR to remain well clear of the pack.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I’m surprised Forest Green are doing so well tbh. It’s always hard to predict how a new manager/coach will settle in, particularly when they’re relatively inexperienced at this level. Rob Edwards seems to have done rather better so far than his namesake did at TRFC. Also seemed to lose a few decent players in the summer, though having a proven striker like Matt on the books certainly helps.

No idea how this one will go, reverting to 4 at the back worked well for us last weekend, but Micky’s still getting to know his players and may juggle it around again.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Few things have come together well for us so far, fairly settled squad and having our key players fit and in form. We don’t have much depth so if we lose the likes of Wilson, Cadden or Matt for any length of time we’ll be in trouble, and we currently have zero back up at CB with Cargill and Godwin-Malife out. Still think Stokes was a big loss there.

Edwards seems to be a very progressive attack minded sort of coach, a style which generally works well at the start of seasons which we used to see back in the day under Jim Harvey, the big challenge is keeping that up once you get injuries and teams start to suss you out. We have kept a couple of clean sheets recently but we aren’t exactly rock solid in terms of our shape or individual defending. Be interesting to see if the better sides target that. Tranmere are on paper one of the best sides we’ve played so far so they should be a good test of our credentials.

The Jovial Forester

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Yes, agree with Chris, it'll be interesting to see how we do as the season grinds on and those various negatives he mentions come into play, though Edwards does seem to be in the Duff mould of getting "the group", as I believe the kids say these days, clicking together very well, expect that was something he could carry over from his youth work despite his otherwise shortage of men's game experience.
Was expecting a bit of a quicker start from Tranmere with Mellon at the helm but I get the point about him still needing time to get to know his best team.
As for Ecotricity, they seem less vulnerable than other suppliers in the fake energy market as they've hedged to ninety percent, but no doubt a crisis in the sector will affect them too. If I'm right about DV being truthful about the playing side pretty much paying for itself hopefully the worst consequences for the club will be delays to the new stadium or the like, but obviously it could all go tits up. About time we took another tilt at the Stroud Hospital Cup if that's the case.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
About time we took another tilt at the Stroud Hospital Cup if that's the case.
We might end up playing the Taverners, if we go really low...which could offer a great opportunity, sell our ground and move in with them...then at least the club will have achieved Dale's ambition of relocating to Eastington!

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
FGR top of table by 4 clear points but one does wonder if that is a false position?

Everybody knows that FGR are in a standing well above their size, and it is inevitable they will return crashing back down to earth sometime in the future.

Hopefully not in the near future.

Dale Vince is sole reason for FGR’s magnificent achievements but he is only a decade away from retirement. And of course with the current economic problems surrounding energy businesses, FGR fans must worry that Ecotricity could go bust and bring down FGR in its wake.

But as they all say: “Enjoy while it lasts.”

But going back to football and my first question; looking at the table, FGR have played 5 teams in top half of table, including 3 in play-off places. Of those 5 games: - 3 wins, 1 draw & 1 loss.

(We have still to play L Orient and Harrogate, who both fill other two places in auto-promotion spots.)

Therefore it could be said that FGR are holding their own against other potential promotion seeking clubs while beating the rest.

Tranmere are in top half of table, so against our Merseyside rivals it will be a guaranteed tough test for FGR to remain well clear of the pack.
Forest Green always seem to start the season well and fade the 19/20 season that got cancelled was a perfect example of that. You were crap against vale the other week but I'd say you will finish top 7 or maybe even top 3 this season probably need tighten up at the back though.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green always seem to start the season well and fade the 19/20 season that got cancelled was a perfect example of that. You were crap against vale the other week but I'd say you will finish top 7 or maybe even top 3 this season probably need tighten up at the back though.
I don't disagree with that, we had seasons in the Conference where we started really well but then faded, you could argue that exactly the same happened again last season.

The game against PV came at the end of a week where we had beaten Crawley 6-3 and given Brentford a pretty good game, they had to bring on their stars in the second half to get the better of us. Against Vale we started slowly, which is pretty rare these days (we scored against Crawley inside a minute and took less than two last Saturday to put one past Stevenage), and made a couple of bad defensive errors. I was worried that we could have been on the end of a bit of a beating but we did tighten up considerably and kept it pretty even for the rest of the game, but just couldn't score. I won't deny that Vale deserved to win but that game was probably the only time this season where we haven't really got going properly from kick-off.

I know it is a bit early to predict how a season will end but I do think we have the best squad, and play the best football, since I started following Rovers...so however it ends I am already happy!

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC

Rob Edwards extremely, very extremely complimentary towards Tranmere manager, who he consistently called 'Mickie'
They have known each other for quite a time, so doubt if there will be any verbals on touchline tomorrow.

Back in the DHSS

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Sometimes our games against one another are entertaining, sometimes controversial but seldom dull!
I don’t think the three league goals Tranmere have conceded tells the full story. Scunthorpe should of scored a hatful against us, Swindon missed a couple of sitters and had the ball dropped kinder to Hartlepool we could of been on the end of a drubbing to them.
Will be interesting to see how our defence copes against a free scoring FGR.
Would be nice to see us score our first league goal on the road this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leeds Content

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!