Friday 22nd April / Saturday 23rd April

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Closest we have to a derby in this division against Walsall and the DC element has a very different dynamic than what it was between us and Bristol Rovers. They did a job on us last time out but we were without our two best strikers for most of the game (Proctor came on but then had a hernia injury in that same game) and no doubt with how visibly angry DC was after that game our players will be eager to prove a point to them. Away end been sold out for a while and there will be some like me with tickets for the home ends so will just have to keep my trap shut during the game.

Seems in terms of Walsall things are not quite right at that club off the field but they have a good manager in Flynn. Whether their owner lets him be successful there is another matter. Seems Rodney hasn't exactly set the world on fire since going there, something has been off with him all season and Wilkinson I believe has an ACL injury. Famous last words but I think we take out a of frustration on them on Saturday and get back on track.
Players seem motivated by yesterday judging by the comments and as said we’ve generally bounced back we’ll from defeat so hopefully that and the abject effort in the reverse and stick we took will see us put in a huge performance.

Hopefully Pett is back but could possibly get away with an attacking midfielder in CDM more against Walsall than you could Rovers, especially as you’d hope we are in the ascendency more in this one.

Things change quickly when it’s this tight so we could be out the top 3 or on the verge of promotion come 5pm Saturday, let’s hope it’s the latter to set up a huge opportunity on Bank Holiday Monday at home.

HutchECFC

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Harrogate have been conceding a lot of goals recently and their season has kind of fizzled out. It’s a dead rubber but with Harrogate’s form I can’t see anything other than a Carlisle United win.

Harrogate 0-2 Carlisle United
Who are you, and what have you done with the real HG?

HutchECFC

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Rochdale @ home. Should be a home win, just hope we can get Tranmere out of our system quickly.

Rumours are we’ll have the away end again, depending on how the Bank sells tomorrow/Thursday and Rochdale’s away sales.

Sydney Posse

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
I know I shouldn't be , but I'm nervous. Need 3 points from this one to stop me being paranoid about Northampton and Bristol Rovers sneaking up on the rails

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I know I shouldn't be , but I'm nervous. Need 3 points from this one to stop me being paranoid about Northampton and Bristol Rovers sneaking up on the rails
It might all go down to that last game where either yourselves, Vale (...or both!) drop points. Two tough final games for you guys though!!

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That was an abject performance by us that day, and I suspect we learned plenty from it, eventually... We simply were not ready that season, it was that game that taught us that. I don't think we'll lapse again. Mansfield haven't been the same since we beat them. Some times you just reach a point where you need a mental breather, you just don't know when that will be. I fancy we still have a decent performance or two to come yet. Cadden found his touch again on Monday, and Matt will be eager for a repeat, following his deft touch to sink our second. More concerned that Wilson has not hit the heights of earlier in the season on the other flank. I'd swap March and Wilson's playing positions, and see if Wilson is better as a forward, he's got very quick feet and is the top dribbler in the league, slurp! It's no use feeling tired now, these players are largely all under contract, they will need to get used to giving everything and a bit more if we do go up. However at this precise point you probably need the three points more than us. That might be the deciding factor all else being even.
I saw your game against Mansfield and thought Wilson was one of the best players on show. Ive heard our City rivals are interested in him too?
One thing I do know is that if you beat us you will have earned it. We have had the odd defeat but they usually come away from home.
The only problems we face at home is trying to break down a stubborn team who sit back and defend, but as the top team im pretty sure you wont be doing that, so it should be a decent watch and I can see it being end to end action.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We just have to forget about Monday. It was a rare off day and we've had more good days than bad. Even Man City have lost 3 times this season. Sometimes, on the day, you get beat for whatever reason. We got randomly beat by Colchester out of nowhere really...Bristol got beat by randomly by Carlisle...Forest Green got battered by Barrow. It happens.

I feel quite confident against Walsall. They did a number on us at our place but it was one of the few bright spots of their season. We had two midfielders up front that night and it showed....we just couldn't offer any threat. With Proctor and Wilson up front we've always got a chance. I just hope that our lack of a true defensive midfielder won't have the same effect as it did against Bristol. I doubt Walsall's midfield is as good.

I'm hoping we go 2 or 3 goals up so that it's comfortable but looking at Walsall's record they don't seem to concede too many. You just know it's going to be nervy and decided by the odd goal!

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We just have to forget about Monday. It was a rare off day and we've had more good days than bad. Even Man City have lost 3 times this season. Sometimes, on the day, you get beat for whatever reason. We got randomly beat by Colchester out of nowhere really...Bristol got beat by randomly by Carlisle...Forest Green got battered by Barrow. It happens.

I feel quite confident against Walsall. They did a number on us at our place but it was one of the few bright spots of their season. We had two midfielders up front that night and it showed....we just couldn't offer any threat. With Proctor and Wilson up front we've always got a chance. I just hope that our lack of a true defensive midfielder won't have the same effect as it did against Bristol. I doubt Walsall's midfield is as good.

I'm hoping we go 2 or 3 goals up so that it's comfortable but looking at Walsall's record they don't seem to concede too many. You just know it's going to be nervy and decided by the odd goal!

Absolutely. I always look at the striking options of sides when assessing situations like this, same for those down the other end.
If you have good reliable goalscorers, or even one, you always have a chance and your two are very good especially Proctor from what I saw.
We dont have the same up front which is why we will fall short.
I think our midfield options are the best in L2 so doubt Walsall will carry as much of a threat there. I can think of better places id like to go to get 3 points than Walsall though!
It will be very nervy til the final minute of the final game I think, and I love it!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Absolutely. I always look at the striking options of sides when assessing situations like this, same for those down the other end.
If you have good reliable goalscorers, or even one, you always have a chance and your two are very good especially Proctor from what I saw.
I think our midfield options are the best in L2 so doubt Walsall will carry as much of a threat there. I can think of better places id like to go to get 3 points than Walsall though!
It will be very nervy til the final minute of the final game I think, and I love it!
Our midfield is probably our strongest position, we have 6 very good midfielders at this level but at the moment our first choice three are all out from the start of the season in Pett, Conlon and Walker, Garrity now is a given with his 11 goals and Charsley has been decent but we play a holding midfielder and two attacking and at the moment they are both attacking as is Jake Taylor who’s appearance Monday was his first start in 4 months after injury so it’s killed is a bit, against Hartlepool he came on and played excellent but as a CDM against the quality Rovers had it was a different story. His touch gave away the first goal for example. Hopefully if Pett isn’t back Walsall won’t pose the same level of problems. Got a feeling though Pett will be back mind but against Rovers as the Vale pod put it we couldn’t afford so many first choice players out and get away with it.

It a big game, sell out away end and need to win to settle nerves and keep the pressure on teams below us to keep in touch. It’s pivotal we could drop out the top 3, keep the status quo or be a point or two from promotion come 5pm Saturday… it’s nerve racking.

Said to the wife a few weeks ago when 10th and chasing the play offs I’d snap your hands off to finish top 7 but now we’ve got into the position we have that carrot has added so much expectation and pressure.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Our midfield is probably our strongest position, we have 6 very good midfielders at this level but at the moment our first choice three are all out from the start of the season in Pett, Conlon and Walker, Garrity now is a given with his 11 goals and Charsley has been decent but we play a holding midfielder and two attacking and at the moment they are both attacking as is Jake Taylor who’s appearance Monday was his first start in 4 months after injury so it’s killed is a bit, against Hartlepool he came on and played excellent but as a CDM against the quality Rovers had it was a different story. His touch gave away the first goal for example. Hopefully if Pett isn’t back Walsall won’t pose the same level of problems. Got a feeling though Pett will be back mind but against Rovers as the Vale pod put it we couldn’t afford so many first choice players out and get away with it.

It a big game, sell out away end and need to win to settle nerves and keep the pressure on teams below us to keep in touch. It’s pivotal we could drop out the top 3, keep the status quo or be a point or two from promotion come 5pm Saturday… it’s nerve racking.

Said to the wife a few weeks ago when 10th and chasing the play offs I’d snap your hands off to finish top 7 but now we’ve got into the position we have that carrot has added so much expectation and pressure.

That's why I like the way its going for us. Although its out of our hands currently, we have never been in the auto places so have always been chasing everyone else, and wont be as disappointed if it doesnt happen.
It would be difficult to pick yourselves up for the play off's having lost an auto place right at the death when it was in your own hands.
Any news on players coming back for Vale? - Conlon looked good at our place but he was a bit of a shithouse himself getting Finley sent off :bg: and Garrity got those quickfire goals.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
That's why I like the way its going for us. Although its out of our hands currently, we have never been in the auto places so have always been chasing everyone else, and wont be as disappointed if it doesnt happen.
It would be difficult to pick yourselves up for the play off's having lost an auto place right at the death when it was in your own hands.
Any news on players coming back for Vale? - Conlon looked good at our place but he was a bit of a shithouse himself getting Finley sent off :bg: and Garrity got those quickfire goals.

Conlon is done for the season unfortunately. I suspect Walker will be too or at least not until the playoffs if we are in them. Suspect Tom Pett is the most likely to return soon as well as James Gibbons. I will say with all the injuries it has fully vindicated DC’s approach of build a squad rather than an XI. We won’t have more than a couple make the team of the year if that but our depth has seen us to this point.

If we make the playoffs we’ll have to see if that’s an issue but I suppose if you think back to February and the start of March we were pretty much being ruled out by many so it’s still a great achievement. I’m not sure many teams would fancy a second leg at VP, Rovers did a fantastic job to quiet the home crowd but it would be a very hostile environment. Who knows after all this could end up Vale v Rovers at Wembley or something,

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Conlon is done for the season unfortunately. I suspect Walker will be too or at least not until the playoffs if we are in them. Suspect Tom Pett is the most likely to return soon as well as James Gibbons. I will say with all the injuries it has fully vindicated DC’s approach of build a squad rather than an XI. We won’t have more than a couple make the team of the year if that but our depth has seen us to this point.

If we make the playoffs we’ll have to see if that’s an issue but I suppose if you think back to February and the start of March we were pretty much being ruled out by many so it’s still a great achievement. I’m not sure many teams would fancy a second leg at VP, Rovers did a fantastic job to quiet the home crowd but it would be a very hostile environment. Who knows after all this could end up Vale v Rovers at Wembley or something,
If we don't get in the autos I hope Vale do as I dont really want to face you in the play offs.
A big squad has helped us too, we still have 6 out injured many of them long term. Loft wasnt even in the squad last Friday until Leon Clarke picked up an injury before the game.
I think I read the other week we have accumulated the most points in 2022 over most other clubs in all 4 divisions and that was before the 6 points over bank holiday.
If we had a half decent first half of the season we'd be up by now. Everyone has bad spells but we were rubbish until Dec/Jan so its amazing we are where we are now. It's a rubbish league though but more enjoyable than last season!!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
It’s been a great season regardless I guess not that it’ll feel that way initially if we fall short, to see us win around half our games is something we have rarely experienced, we’ve had bonkers injuries, more so that when they happen they always seem to be the same position like when all our strikers and wingers were injured at the same time whilst every other area was fine! But as said the squad has been resilient, we had injuries last year and we ended up dropping into a run of 3 wins in 25 before the mental run at the end so the improvement in depth has been massive.

It’s great for the club and fans to be in this position though, as said it’s rare 1994 promotion and 2013 promotion, no play offs since 1993 and have only come close to making a play off in 2004 and 1996 (for the premier league!)

2020 was taken from us (Cobblers should stand aside for us here after that self sacrifice) but these seasons have been rare, now though as said if we fail to make it I have full confidence with the foundations now in place with Carol and Kevin we will be challenging again next season rather than flog all our good players for a bag a peanuts and have to rebuild again.

It’s stressful being hunted now but got to enjoy it I guess and barring a massive mess up at worst we get a play off chance.

Stripes

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
I saw your game against Mansfield and thought Wilson was one of the best players on show. Ive heard our City rivals are interested in him too?
One thing I do know is that if you beat us you will have earned it. We have had the odd defeat but they usually come away from home.
The only problems we face at home is trying to break down a stubborn team who sit back and defend, but as the top team im pretty sure you wont be doing that, so it should be a decent watch and I can see it being end to end acti

Both Wilson and Cadden's opportunities have been limited now they are often doubled-up on. Both are out of contract, and it wouldn't surprise me if there has been some interest in both. Yes, City have been linked with Wilson, he will know this, as it's on our own forum. If it's a straight forward open gane, then it could be quite a spectacle at yours on Saturday, it could be a straight fight between two good sides. this time I expect everyone will play everyone in there true pisitions, we learned that lesson after the Barrow game. But not sure what the emphasis will be. We have developed an adjusted style playing at home, which has worked pretty well. Away we are less assured these days. Hoping sight of the finishing line will be a tonic, rather than an excuse to take breather. Think we still have something to prove following Easter Friday. Rob Edwards needs to get this one right.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think because several teams have been on similar points for so long it seems inevitable that it will go down to the last game. Away at Exeter is about as tough as it could be for us but we have to try and win another couple of tough games first. Our goal difference is at least 5 better than everyone below us, which might help but if Exeter struggle in the next couple then they might need to win that last game!

As you said, it's better to be involved in these sorts of games rather than having nothing to play for from about February or trying to avoid relegation!

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
After playing around 70mins with ten men and grinding out a win on Monday, hoping we can follow up with another decent showing on Saturday.

No Hector Kyprianou after his sending off, so either Ethan Coleman or Jordan Brown will replace him in midfield, I'd play Brown to see how he fares against a good side. Think Harry Smith's season is over sadly with a hamstring injury, but not too sure on that one. Adam Thompson may miss out again so Otis Khan will continue at right back.

Wellens already preparing for next season, none of our January loan signings George Ray or Frank Nouble have featured in the squad for 3 weeks now with Wellens preferring to stick with players under contract for next season or youngsters. Nouble was tweeting during our game on Monday as well so he wasn't even actually there.

We've won all 3 home games under Wellens so far scoring 3 goals at least in each, but it was against the leagues weaker sides. Northamptons games are all usually very tight and only one goal in it, they have the most clean sheets in the league (20) and all our games are usually quite tight - as I said before Monday, we haven't been beaten heavily this season, if we lose its been by slim margins, which is why our GD is as good as it is, so the likelyhood is that this will be a draw or one goal either way.

We did the double over Swindon on Monday - Our only one this season. But no one has actually done the double over ourselves so far amazingly, however our 3 remaining opponents Northampton, Crawley and Tranmere all have the chance to complete the double over us in our remaining games.

Some of our stats this season are crazy, we have the most bookings as well I think, not because we're a dirty side or argue with the officials all the time, but because so many of our players end up taking yellow cards after giving the ball away and taking ones for the team yellows.

Good that Northampton have sold their allocation, should make the game a better watch with a decent crowd.

Sydney Posse

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
It might all go down to that last game where either yourselves, Vale (...or both!) drop points. Two tough final games for you guys though!!
I saw a form guide across all divisions recently for the last 15 games, and the top 2 in league 2 were us and Rovers. I personally think Rovers might win all their remaining games, but I still think we will manage the 6 points we need, but we NEVER win at Northampton, and playing Vale if they are chasing the automatics on the last day is definitely heart attack territory if we haven't secured the points by then !

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
I can't see the Gas beating us by four because they will be so desperate to win they will protect a lead rather than extend it.

This is also what I thought before the Barrow game.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
I can't see the Gas beating us by four because they will be so desperate to win they will protect a lead rather than extend it.

This is also what I thought before the Barrow game.
If goal difference wasn't so important then I'd agree, but at this stage and the current table, they need goals, and lots of them, and they'll get them.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Seems a nice touch from Walsalls supporters club before the game who were suggesting giving a round applause for DC and giving him a couple of cards. Does appear to have come across a mixed reaction from what I’ve seen though. The reality is it will take some of them 10 minutes before they start going through some of their songs about him.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Seems a nice touch from Walsalls supporters club before the game who were suggesting giving a round applause for DC and giving him a couple of cards. Does appear to have come across a mixed reaction from what I’ve seen though. The reality is it will take some of them 10 minutes before they start going through some of their songs about him.
Not sure what the dog thing is about I have to be honest.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Not sure what the dog thing is about I have to be honest.

From what I gather it’s something Bristol City fans came up with when he was managing Rovers but stand to be corrected. The fact they went to that effort shows how he got them a little too close to them for comfort. Starting see similar from Stoke fans towards us now.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
From what I gather it’s something Bristol City fans came up with when he was managing Rovers but stand to be corrected. The fact they went to that effort shows how he got them a little too close to them for comfort. Starting see similar from Stoke fans towards us now.
Yeah they were creaming themselves Monday... 2nd defeat in 20 bless them, but they had a rare win of course.

Strange one that but hopefully DC is given some respect with what he has gone through, even Joey bloody Barton had nice words about our club and the situation!

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah it did come from Bristol City, 'Darrell Clarke wanks dogs' or something like that. No idea why they came up with that, they are a weird bunch.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Bristol Rovers only giving us 777 tickets which we’ve sold out, quite a few people have missed out seems pretty rough I thought the EFL had a 10% capacity allocation rule?

The Jovial Forester

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Bristol Rovers only giving us 777 tickets which we’ve sold out, quite a few people have missed out seems pretty rough I thought the EFL had a 10% capacity allocation rule?
Sounds like they assumed we wouldn't sell many (understandably if a bit thick given we can take numbers locally) and had already started selling the away terrace to home fans and now have had to move a few about pissing off some ST holders so no-one's happy.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Yeah they were creaming themselves Monday... 2nd defeat in 20 bless them, but they had a rare win of course.

Strange one that but hopefully DC is given some respect with what he has gone through, even Joey bloody Barton had nice words about our club and the situation!

Aye, was watching the Nathan Heaney fight on BT the other week and could tell how obsessed they are then. For the whole fight there wasn’t really any pro-Heaney songs or even “we are Stoke” or “we’ll be with you” etc it was just constantly “get your fathers gun and shoot the Vale scum” and all the others they love singing about us.

I think the majority of them will be but as will see it only takes a few to change that. Have noticed they seem to have a larger percentage of dickheads on social media but suppose it’s easy to act the tough guy there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!