L2 Play Off Final - Plymouth v AFC Wimbledon

F

Freakyteeth

Sixfields. Urgh.

Awful away day. The Hungry Horse gastropub at the top of the hill has more soul than Sixfields.

Bolton away NYD will be sound.

Not been to the Valley yet.

Fuck off Franchise.

Oxford are boring. Rather Portsmouth replace them in 2nd.

Accy would be interesting.

Wimbledon to win the P/Os.

departed user IS ALWAYS RIGHT

Wombling Kiwi

Reaction score
Supports
football
I should have gone to bed but I'm still up chatting with HWMBO. What a day. I've really enjoyed League two but we've somehow made our way out. Well done to Plymouth who were so gracious in defeat. Off to the L1 section.
A couple of us have dropped by already. It looks like we going to be well liked there, untill we beat them. :bg:

womble76

Reaction score
Supports
wimbledon
See you all in a year folks

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Yesterdays game deep analysis:

1) Wimbledon were shit
2) Argyle were really shit

Therefore the better team won. I'm still fuming with the performance and our manager. Fans flew from all over the world as far as New Zealand spending thousands of pounds to watch that utter dross, the club should seriously consider some sort of reimbursement, but they won't. Worst performance of the season, worse than Daggers loss at home. Not one single player on the pitch yesterday was deserving to play on that hallowed turf and if any of them happen to ever come across this post, be utterly ashamed of yourself. 1 up front in the final, setting up for a 0-0 draw. They let Carey be marked out of the game and chucked the 2 big centre backs on Matt and it worked. Honestly an u11s youth manager in the bottom local league could come up with that tactic it's simply obvious. Played straight into Wimbledons hands and didn't change it.

At least it was against the Wombles though, all of their fans I met pre match in the boozer were great. Let their story continue and make sure you shove it up franchise next season. The fact that the Wombles players clapped our fans after the game before a single Argyle player did shows everything we need to know.

Last edited:

Wombling Kiwi

Reaction score
Supports
football
Yesterdays game deep analysis:

1) Wimbledon were shit
2) Argyle were really shit

Therefore the better team won. I'm still fuming with the performance and our manager. Fans flew from all over the world as far as New Zealand spending thousands of pounds to watch that utter dross, the club should seriously consider some sort of reimbursement, but they won't. Worst performance of the season, worse than Daggers loss at home. Not one single player on the pitch yesterday was deserving to play on that hallowed turf and if any of them happen to ever come across this post, be utterly ashamed of yourself. 1 up front in the final, setting up for a 0-0 draw. They let Carey be marked out of the game and chucked the 2 big centre backs on Matt and it worked. Honestly an u11s youth manager in the bottom local league could come up with that tactic it's simply obvious. Played straight into Wimbledons hands and didn't change it.

At least it was against the Wombles though, all of their fans I met pre match in the boozer were great. Let their story continue and make sure you shove it up franchise next season. The fact that the Wombles players clapped our fans after the game before a single Argyle player did shows everything we need to know.
maybe you should email this to your club, so if and what sort of reply you get. Thanks for the comments about our supporters and players, see you in League one, soon.

LondonOrn

Reaction score
Supports
Watford
That would be the best time to hear his thoughts, if they finish above them. Think he'll throw a fair bit of money at it to avoid that happening...

Hate to say it, but given their bigger resources and crowds and the fact they've just come down from the Championship after winning automatic promotion last year, they'll probably be favourites to finish above them next season. Still it's about taking one step at a time and for now just for Wimbledon to be playing in the same division as MK Dons given the respective levels both teams were at just 14 years ago is nothing short of miraculous.

In any case, with three relegations and even more failed promotions it's clear the experiment has not been a success and it could be only a matter of time before the real Wimbledon assert their superiority - and what a great victory for fan power that would be, proving it's not about the quantity of support (if that even applies to much of Franchise's crowds) but the quality.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hate to say it, but given their bigger resources and crowds and the fact they've just come down from the Championship after winning automatic promotion last year, they'll probably be favourites to finish above them next season. Still it's about taking one step at a time and for now just for Wimbledon to be playing in the same division as MK Dons given the respective levels both teams were at just 14 years ago is nothing short of miraculous.

In any case, with three relegations and even more failed promotions it's clear the experiment has not been a success and it could be only a matter of time before the real Wimbledon assert their superiority - and what a great victory for fan power that would be, proving it's not about the quantity of support (if that even applies to much of Franchise's crowds) but the quality.

Absolutely, for me they're initial favourites for the league alongside Millwall. Probably the most stable of the relegated clubs, so many unknowns with Charlton and Bolton.

But it'd be great if the Wombles could do it :bg:

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Where's the Rovers fan who said the side in 7th were never going to go up because the top 6 were in a league of their own (or something like that) ?

Congrats to the real Dons. Well done!

I don't know but to be honest you can't blame him for thinking that because the teams that finished above 7th were further ahead for the majority of the season.

I'm really happy for them to go up though, I like Wimbledon. :)

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Ah probably living it up on the league 1 forums with the rest of us. Anyhow for the record I personally said I wanted Wimbledon to win after Plymouth won the title in December, than the play-offs in the semi's according to their fans, yet still seem to be league 2......... Anyway congratulations Wimbledon, oh and Vanni what league will Gaffney be in next season.....

It's far too early to say what league that irritating little prick Gaffney - persona non grata, afaic - will be in next year. At this moment in time, he's under contract to a League 1 side but that doesn't mean anything at all because there's no football taking place right now ;)

BTW, I've got a lot of time for you lot, and I hope you have a good solid season without any relegation fears. Just don't have time for the ginger Messi is all.

Optogas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's far too early to say what league that irritating little prick Gaffney - persona non grata, afaic - will be in next year. At this moment in time, he's under contract to a League 1 side but that doesn't mean anything at all because there's no football taking place right now ;)

BTW, I've got a lot of time for you lot, and I hope you have a good solid season without any relegation fears. Just don't have time for the ginger Messi is all.
Pretty sure he will be a player for us next season hus movement and runs off the ball, the space he finds and creates helped Taylor, Bodin and Montano no end, very exciting to work but can understand Cambridge fans frustrations over the way it worked out. Quite fancy your lot to have a good crack at it next season, more than Plymouth or Luton,expect you guys to be top 7 so don't let me down!

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
Well that was a long old day for a big old disappointment.

My first ever time at Wembley, and only actually the second ever time I've seen Argyle play away from Home Park. So a pretty big deal for me. Though I was not alone... 35,000 people left Plymouth at around 7am to endure that 5 or so hour journey, which was incredible. It's just a shame that, with all of those people who did turn up, the 11 fucking people on the pitch did not.

In an annoying way, it sort of felt like we deserved to win. We traveled so much further (from the ass end of nowhere, vs Wimbledon who could have basically left home 5 mins before kickoff and strolled to Wembley!), we'd had such a great start to the season vs Wimbledon just about sneaking into the playoffs, it felt like it would have been justice to see us get through.

But in another, much more accurate way, there was only one team that came close to deserving, and that was Wimbledon. People seem to be saying that Wimbledon were poor, but I don't think they were that bad. They had us up against the ropes from the start and the goals were only a matter of time in coming, they didn't need to be any better than they were.

The best way to sum up the game for me is to look at Elliot vs our two CB's against the Wimbledon defence vs Jervis and/or Matt. Regarding balls played in the air, Elliots success rate was incredible... he must have won the ball about 99 times out of 100 yesterday. Our defenders just could not cope with him in the slighest and it was a constant threat of; ball in the air, won by Elliot, knocked down to somebody else and a dangerous chance. Wimbledon had a lot of players who did well, but for me Elliot should have got man of the match I reckon, he was unstoppable and a constant threat.

On the otherside of the coin, whenever we tried something in the air to either Jervis or Matt, they were utterly useless. Couldn't win a thing. Though those two were not alone in being useless...

A lot of Plymouth fans seem to be under the impression now of "oh well, that's gutting, but we'll go for automatic next year".

OH FUCKIN' REALLY?

With significant changes, yeah, it's a possibility. But I think there's way too much shit in that team to even make the play offs next season, let alone get automatic. I'm not just basing that on the one game, either, I'm basing it on an average of what I've seen throughout the season... particularly the end. But looking at that team yesterday:

McCormick: The one player who I can't really fault. Did more than his fair share to try to keep us in there, but couldn't do anything about the first goal and then the second was a penalty... couldn't have done any more than he did and kept it from being even worse.

Mellor: On the other end of the scale to McCormick. As big a reason as any other person on that pitch of why we're going to be in league 2 next season. How the fuck does that man make money out of being a professional footballer? I'm not even taking into account here his fucking clownish flop to the floor when trying to defend (or what? Was he? I don't even know what he was trying) that first goal by falling forward and headbutting the floor, or breaking out into interpretive dance, or having a stroke or whatever the fuck it was he was doing. All the way through the game he was unbelievable. I felt more threatened by Wimbledon when Mellor was on the ball than when Wimbledon players actually had possession.

Nelson: Wasn't awful. Probably one of the better players on the day. But couldn't defend all on his own.

Hartley: Another dodgy looking performance. Some fans seem to rate him, whenever I see him he seems liable to make a couple cock ups per game. And he was shakey yesterday, too.

Sawyer: Was he there? Or did he stay in Plymouth. The fact that I don't remember him doing anything is probably more of a compliment than a criticism because at least it means he couldn't have been terrible. Actually, screw that, I remember him making one great tackle at one point. So yeah, he's got that going.

McHugh: Another fucking scary prospect and somebody we need to replace if we want to go up next year. Looked dodgy as fuck.

Boateng: Looked like one of few players who, to be fair, was at least really giving it a go. Did ok, but couldn't do it all on his own.

Jervis: I know he gets goals, but seriously, fuck that guy. If he's still a first team player next season, we will not go up. For a big striker he's fucking SHITE in the air. I don't know how he gets the goals he does, but seriously, I don't want him in the team next year.

Carey: Generally speaking, too good for League 2 by a fair bit, but invisible yesterday. Couldn't do a thing, which is probably a large reason we were shite because without him we don't really have a team good enough to get promoted.

Wylde: Probably the most aptly named player since Robbie Savage, a fucking wild asshat who just runs with no actual skill, thought or planning to what he's going to do when he gets there. To be fair his headless chicken runs nearly created things that looked like they may have had the slightest possibility of maybe standing a chance being a chance on goal yesterday (which is as close as we came to scoring, so you know, credit to him) but Jesus fuckin' wept, why is this man in a team that people were pipping for promotion?

Matt: May as well have actually got sent off against Portsmouth in the end, he was basically not there for this match anyway. Don't get me wrong, he did better than "I'm fucking 9 foot tall but can't win a ball in the air" Jervis, but still couldn't do anything that looked close to effective.

But yeah. It's over, whatever, it's done. If we still have that team next season, the playoffs would be over achieving in my view.

But oh well, if you're going to go all of that way only to get completely out played at Wembley and see your promotion dreams crushed, I can hardly think of a team I'd rather see do it to us more than Wimbledon. Because every fucker likes them, right? I was still devastated as fuck come the end of the game, but managed to stay and at least applaud the guys for what they've done, because it's superb and a middle finger to all of that MK Dons bullshit. I hope you keep on moving up and eventually take your rightful place above MK Dons after not too long. That'd be the one good thing that could possibly come out of yesterday, and to be fair, that's not all that bad. Just don't make our suffering all for nothing...

Oh god that's a big post in the end. I've fucking done it again.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
plymouth fans being magnanimous in defeat as per normal..... scum.

Benji

Reaction score
Supports
Expected Goals
Obviously haven't seen nearly as much of Plymouth as the real fans, but from where I was sitting the two full backs in particular were absolutely awful.

Meadow

Not a lad
Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
Plymouth have in the main been very gracious. A few near Wembley Park station applauded us, a few have registered on our guestbook and wished us luck and we've had a few pop into our Facebook group as well.

Yesterday was absolutely fantastic although it didn't mean as much to me as the Ryman and the Conference wins.

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
Your post is spot on, except McHugh. He had a bad game on Monday yes, but he's a class player.

worried womble

Reaction score
Supports
wimbledon
Farewell then, L2. I must say our playoff final reminded me of my sex life; the first hour spent wondering if it's started, followed by half an hour of mild terror, followed by 30 seconds of relief, hugs from strange men, some tears & then a long train journey home. Best of luck to you all next season - I'm sure Akinfenwa will join a southern L2 team soon, my guess would be Luton, Orient or Bees. He's a brilliant impact sub if the manager can get him to fit the team's system, but he won't last 90 minutes.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Farewell then, L2. I must say our playoff final reminded me of my sex life; the first hour spent wondering if it's started, followed by half an hour of mild terror, followed by 30 seconds of relief, hugs from strange men, some tears & then a long train journey home. Best of luck to you all next season - I'm sure Akinfenwa will join a southern L2 team soon, my guess would be Luton, Orient or Bees. He's a brilliant impact sub if the manager can get him to fit the team's system, but he won't last 90 minutes.

Bayo said on sky he'd had offers from Australia and the Middle East, although he's a massive family man so I'm not sure he'll want to uproot his whole family

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town

Bayo said on sky he'd had offers from Australia and the Middle East, although he's a massive family man so I'm not sure he'll want to uproot his whole family

Meadow

Not a lad
Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
Bayo's Mrs wants to stay in England, preferably in the South East.

mowgli

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe Wanderers
Rumour has it we're after him,i hope not as our 2 main strikers are 32 and 36, we'll be known as Wycombe Retirement Home Wanderers. :lol:

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
Your post is spot on, except McHugh. He had a bad game on Monday yes, but he's a class player.

To be fair, he may well be. I generally don't get to many games, so I'm hardly the best judge at the end of the day, and yes that is mostly just based on that one game on Monday. So perhaps I'm a bit harsh on him (maybe others)... but the two in particular I'd single out as being pretty certain that they're utter shite are Mellor and Jervis. I'm ok with people defending the rest, but not those two.

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
To be fair, he may well be. I generally don't get to many games, so I'm hardly the best judge at the end of the day, and yes that is mostly just based on that one game on Monday. So perhaps I'm a bit harsh on him (maybe others)... but the two in particular I'd single out as being pretty certain that they're utter shite are Mellor and Jervis. I'm ok with people defending the rest, but not those two.

Yep Mellor and Jervis about as useful as Anne Frank's drum kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bantamshell

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!