Stickied League 1 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Seems like my post above is already out of date. Looks like we are getting Pigott on loan. Happy with that. Cowley tried for him last season but we were out-financed by Ipswich as usual. The worrying thing is it could mean that Ipswich are getting George Hirst as a replacement
Pigott was a bit unlucky at us I thought. Never really got it to click and every chance he got, he seemed to lose his bearings. You don’t score 30 goals a season and then just become sh*t overnight so I reckon he just lose his confidence. A lot of town fans will slate him but I reckon he will do alright for you. Can see why it’s only a loan though as he’s on big wages reportedly.

Whats Hurst like? Pompey fans seem to really want him back which makes me think he’d be a good addition for us. We do need a striker with Bonne back at QPR and us not wanting to make it permanent (despite his bold interview this week begging us to buy him - can’t imagine QPR fans will be pleased with that) and now Piggott off too. Plus Norwood we released. Definitely need a striker.

nelsonpfc

Reaction score
Supports
Pompey
Signed Joe Rafferty from Preston. Has a decent amount of championship experience and played alot for Rochdale. Just need some forwards now

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
We are currently the only side not to have signed anyone.

Yay, go us.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Yay, go us.
We've only signed 1 that wasn't on loan with us last season.

Unfortunately clubs like us have to wait until other clubs have finished playing 'who's got the biggest dick' by paying 3rd division players 1st division wages and then get the best we can possibly get within a sensible and sustainable budget.

Such is life!

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Whats Hurst like? Pompey fans seem to really want him back which makes me think he’d be a good addition for us.
No, Hirst is rubbish and you should look elsewhere. Just study his performances for us last season (well, only up to October. Please ignore the rest of the season.)

If he continues his remarkable improvement of last season then you are potentially looking at a 25-30 goal striker IMO. He has a "high ceiling" as they like to say.

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
Based on what? You do a big disservice to Joe there.
His career up to this point is losing out the number one job to whoever his alternative was at the time. I understand he’s had periods where he’s looked good and was highly regarded coming up through the ranks, but a keeper who is expected to genuinely be the number one for a premier league club in the future should have no issue winning that battle. At least in my opinion,

No problem with Wildsmith starting games, at all, but I don’t think we can rely solely on him - he needs strong competition. Maybe a young keeper who has higher aspirations is the perfect option, gives them a baseline to compete against.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Signed Joe Rafferty from Preston. Has a decent amount of championship experience and played alot for Rochdale. Just need some forwards now
His better games for us came at left back, despite him being massively right footed. He's probably ok at this level, Rochdale fans spoke pretty well of him.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC

Yay, go us.
18 days and counting till the first game of the season…

Personally I think we won’t see anyone till next week, by which time many of our fans will have blown a gasket. I think Taylor will get some decent players in soon, but as leedsvalient says, us smaller clubs seem to be at the back of the queue.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
We have two trialists, one of which is Connor Malley, a CM released from Middlesbrough in the summer who's just had a trial spell at Huddersfield.

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
It looks like James Collins is close to joining - I was concerned after he start (and scored) in their friendly at the weekend but it looks like the move is still on. I really like the signing at this level - a player who has been here and done it previously. Between him and McGoldrick that's two good options. Stretton and Cybulski behind them. We could probably do with one more, but nothing urgent.

Full backs and wingers are the most pressing concern as it stands. Talk Dale Stephens may sign probably means we're losing one of Bielik or Bird, likely the former on loan, which comes as no surprise.

stevieCTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Interesting strategy thus far from Derby. Interesting but ultimately not that clever. Bolton, MK and Oxford will be well clear of them IMHO

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
I think Derby will be fine this year if their OAP’s stay injury free, it’s just beyond that I’m concerned for. I know they’re very restricted but the transfers scream let’s go one year at a time and if they do get promoted this year it would be a massive rebuild again.

WhiteRussian

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
TBF that's how a lot of clubs work in this division. What with half a team of loanees and a willingness/necesssity to sell their best players to balance books, it's a rebuild every year.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Think people are forgetting that Sibley, Bird, Cashin, Buchanan, Knight, and Thompson are all good, young prospects who can hold their own in the Championship. They've probably got a bunch more beyond that too who are ready for this level.

The Derby squad will probably have a decent balance providing they don't cash in on their youth products.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Goalkeeper is always one of them positions people say their team has the best etc. Without seeing them in every game nobody can really say for sure. Sometimes stuff like clean sheet percentage isn’t the best metric. Last season we had Tomas Holy on loan and while his GA record looked decent on paper almost every time there was something for him to do the ball seemed to go under him.
I think you are right. Yes stats such as you mention and save percentage give a flavour, but I don’t think there are enough. I prefer to go a lot on the opinion of those who understand the game more than us. For example, I saw Bavuna twice once on tv and once live and based on the kamikaze performances I saw I would not have him in the top ten in our league last year. However, I also recognise that people who know more about keeping than me rate him as one of the best two or three in the league last year, and I am prepared to accept that.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Our keeper is 22 and got Golden Glove last season, he’s the best :ds:
More importantly, there are people who know what they are talking about speak very highly of Coops. For example, Warnock and others have hinted that they could see him as a future England keeper, and certainly the expectation is that he will be in the Premier league at some point.

I think it is certainly difficult to exactly say who is the best, but I do think there were only a few keepers I saw last year that I could envisage playing at the top level, and Coops is clearly one of those.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Rumours flying about that Marcus Harness is off to Swansea. He was pulled out of our friendly line up at the last minute today. Possible swap deal as there are supposedly a number of Swansea players that Cowley is interested in. Kyle Joseph and Jordan Garrick are the names being bandied about.

No confirmation of Pigott loan from Ipswich yet.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Some sort of transfer news, finally. We’ve got Southampton young midfielder, Kegs Chauke training with us ahead of a potential loan move. Not sure it’s what we need, really but he may turn out to be ready for L1. I’d prefer any new signing to at least have some previous EFL experience.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Some sort of transfer news, finally. We’ve got Southampton young midfielder, Kegs Chauke training with us ahead of a potential loan move. Not sure it’s what we need, really but he may turn out to be ready for L1. I’d prefer any new signing to at least have some previous EFL experience.
Have you lost any of your first 16 from last season?
Dont you have a crop of youngsters in your academy who will get you promoted?

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Have you lost any of your first 16 from last season?
Dont you have a crop of youngsters in your academy who will get you promoted?
Only lost Cameron Dawson who was on loan last season. We have some decent youngsters coming through, but we may have to wait till the following season before they fire us out of this tinpot league.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Only lost Cameron Dawson who was on loan last season. We have some decent youngsters coming through, but we may have to wait till the following season before they fire us out of this tinpot league.
play them this season and i am sure you will get your wish

I think you will be ok with what youve got

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
Interesting strategy thus far from Derby. Interesting but ultimately not that clever. Bolton, MK and Oxford will be well clear of them IMHO

We have young players in abundance - it was experienced pros that we were without due to a transfer embargo for two years that meant we couldn't extend players.

If we were to kick off tomorrow, the squad we would have would still have 8 of the 18 at 21 years or younger - Foulkes, Cashin, Roberts, Thompson, Knight, Sibley, Bird, Stretton. I would say 4 are definitely going to be starting - Cashin, Knight, Sibley & Bird. Thompson and Roberts will be heavily used.

You mentioned Oxford and Bolton, but they both had experienced players in their squad who contributed - Oxford's top goalscorer from last season is 32 Kieran Lee played a huge part for Bolton last season - aged 34.

Not sure why Derby are getting demonised for signing experienced players, which surely was the sensible option considering what was left from the previous regime & the fact we can't sign anyone with a transfer fee.

We have a number of players coming into our academy. George Nunn (20) has signed on today, Kwaku Odukoh looks set to sign (19) and we're looking at a number of others including Ryan Glover (21) & Jake Rooney (18). We need a lot of players - 40 have left in the past two years.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
We have young players in abundance - it was experienced pros that we were without due to a transfer embargo for two years that meant we couldn't extend players. If we were to kick off tomorrow, the squad we would have would still have 8 of the 18 at 21 years or younger - Foulkes, Cashin, Roberts, Thompson, Knight, Sibley, Bird, Stretton. I would say 4 are definitely going to be starting - Cashin, Knight, Sibley & Bird. Thompson and Roberts will be heavily used.

You mentioned Oxford and Bolton, but they both had experienced players in their squad who contributed - Oxford's top goalscorer from last season is 32 Kieran Lee played a huge part for Bolton last season - aged 34.

Not sure why Derby are getting demonised for signing experienced players, which surely was the sensible option considering what was left from the previous regime & the fact we can't sign anyone with a transfer fee.

We have a number of players coming into our academy. George Nunn (20) has signed on today, Kwaku Odukoh looks set to sign (19) and we're looking at a number of others including Ryan Glover (21) & Jake Rooney (18). We need a lot of players - 40 have left in the past two years.
Not sure about anyone else but it sticks in the throat abit watching Derby splashing the cash.

Now I know many on here will think that we were trying to buy the league a year ago ourselves. But the major difference is Ipswich weren’t saved from a financial collapse at the last hour. And hadn’t previously had points deducted for being in administration after years of financial mismanagement where you tried to buy your way to the Championship Title. Now you’re in your first season in League 1, escape liquidation by the skin of your teeth and in the very same month go out signing players who would get in most championship sides and will be on crazy high wages for this level. Didzy McGoldrick in League 1 ffs. Hourihane? Davies? It’s utterly obscene.

Perhaps it’s just me but it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth that you can get away it seemingly that easily and just carry on as you were with the same high level of spending as to what you were punished for.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Not sure about anyone else but it sticks in the throat abit watching Derby splashing the cash.

Now I know many on here will think that we were trying to buy the league a year ago ourselves. But the major difference is Ipswich weren’t saved from a financial collapse at the last hour. And hadn’t previously had points deducted for being in administration after years of financial mismanagement where you tried to buy your way to the Championship Title. Now you’re in your first season in League 1, escape liquidation by the skin of your teeth and in the very same month go out signing players who would get in most championship sides and will be on crazy high wages for this level. Didzy McGoldrick in League 1 ffs. Hourihane? Davies? It’s utterly obscene.

Perhaps it’s just me but it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth that you can get away it seemingly that easily and just carry on as you were with the same high level of spending as to what you were punished for.
Agreed you need a player or two in your squad/team who are over the 30 mark, but for me its your signings since you came out of administration that can be questioned. You have signed 6/7 of these players on good terms. [no problem with me on that if they come within the EFL embargo set out for you]
Ours got set at 4k only three seasons back.........have they doubled in that time????????
Ipswich tried to buy the league last season it was never going to work, but it could this season because those players are at the right age and have 12 months now playing together and will have formed partnerships on the field. Ipswich have not repeated last pre-season spending because they basically have no need as the players they bought are in the mid 20s
Derby have a pile of promising young players and a pile of 30 plus players and nothing in between that is why in my opinion your transfer policy is awful.
You touched on Kieran Lee. Model pro who keeps himself fit
Time and injuries will restrict Lee to 20/30 games this season despite looking after himself. Evatt will manage him ie rest him in the midweek games etc. Can you do that with half your squad

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Agreed you need a player or two in your squad/team who are over the 30 mark, but for me its your signings since you came out of administration that can be questioned. You have signed 6/7 of these players on good terms. [no problem with me on that if they come within the EFL embargo set out for you]
Ours got set at 4k only three seasons back.........have they doubled in that time????????
Ipswich tried to buy the league last season it was never going to work, but it could this season because those players are at the right age and have 12 months now playing together and will have formed partnerships on the field. Ipswich have not repeated last pre-season spending because they basically have no need as the players they bought are in the mid 20s
Derby have a pile of promising young players and a pile of 30 plus players and nothing in between that is why in my opinion your transfer policy is awful.
You touched on Kieran Lee. Model pro who keeps himself fit
Time and injuries will restrict Lee to 20/30 games this season despite looking after himself. Evatt will manage him ie rest him in the midweek games etc. Can you do that with half your squad
It all seems a bit odd to me. All of these signings dropping their pay significantly just to play for Derby, it just doesn't add up. It's said that the EFL are ratifying every move but we all know what they're like with due diligence.

As you say, if it goes right then fine, but otherwise you're stuck with a load of youngsters that could go either way and a bunch of highly paid players on decent contracts who are well past their peak. It seems to be asking for trouble if you ask me. If they don't get up in the next 2 or 3 seasons then I can see them being back in trouble...their new owner is wealthy but not super rich. Just seems like they're gambling again and have learnt nothing.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
It all seems a bit odd to me. All of these signings dropping their pay significantly just to play for Derby, it just doesn't add up. It's said that the EFL are ratifying every move but we all know what they're like with due diligence.

As you say, if it goes right then fine, but otherwise you're stuck with a load of youngsters that could go either way and a bunch of highly paid players on decent contracts who are well past their peak. It seems to be asking for trouble if you ask me. If they don't get up in the next 2 or 3 seasons then I can see them being back in trouble...their new owner is wealthy but not super rich. Just seems like they're gambling again and have learnt nothing.
For both Hourihane and McGoldrick not having to shift address is as big a factor as money for them. If Derby adhere to the EFL business plan then who are we to judge how they spend their money, their income along with us and Ipswich will absolutely dwarf the rest of the division, hence a bigger pot to play with.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
I'd be surprised if Bird, Sibley & Hourihane isn't the best midfield in the division by a clear difference. Hourihane could still offer something to a Championship playoff side and Sibley has the potential to play in the Prem.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
I'd be surprised if Bird, Sibley & Hourihane isn't the best midfield in the division by a clear difference. Hourihane could still offer something to a Championship playoff side and Sibley has the potential to play in the Prem.
Bannan, Vaulks, Byers say hello

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV