League 2 General Chat Thread

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I don't agree with the tweet above that the top 3 would comfortably finish in the play-offs that's just ridiculous, but all 3, as will us and Stockport, provided the clubs are run decently will not trouble relegation in lge 2 for the first season.

Not really followed Stockport so not sure what's changed on the playing side, however they got promoted last season by winning 21 of 22 games against the bottom half, they only managed 9 wins out of 22 against the top half, so players changing or not its no surprise they are not winning against the better teams because they didn't do that last year either.

But it will never be 3 up 3 down as long as the EFL clubs get to decide, none of them want to go to NL, and too many of them will fear that if it goes to 3 relegation spots. Should it go to 3 down? I don't know really, probably, but the NL need to match their rules with the EFL first, particularly on finances, but the fact that the clubs at the top of NL couldn't compete in Lge 2 is a non argument, should we change it to two down in Lge 1 because the clubs at the top of Lge 2 couldn't compete in Lge 1?

Yeah there’s no argument that the teams at the top at the NL wouldn’t compete so there shouldn’t be more promotion places. There’s a whole body of evidence that no one ever goes back down, and teams regularly compete for a top seven place. I’d standardise both, no logical reason to have four promotion places for one step and then two for the next.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I can't see all three of you finishing miles ahead of Solihull. Had a wobble at the weekend admittedly, but they'll be up there. I'm still annoyed they signed Josh Kelly. :lol: Chesterfield are never too far from some kind of self implosion. How are you lot looking in terms of being a bit soft/susceptible to a good pressing side too? I know you've added some good fire power up top, but if you still get overran you'll have a slump or two at various points. I personally can't see past Wrexham even with Parkinson charge.

Solihull were absolutely honking against us and could easily have got a battering, but maybe it was an off day. I dunno, just not convinced they’re quite as at it this year, but them and Boreham Wood maybe could live with it.

Williams has dealt with it by turning us into a good pressing side ourselves. Dunno what he’s done to Rodrigues, but he’s now back in midfield and like a man possessed when we’ve not got the ball. We’ve now got the best high press in the division ‘statistically’ to go with the most possession, and obviously Langstaff going at better than a goal a game will help. Our one remaining problem is just random meltdowns, our only blip so far really was losing at Dorking because Slocombe forgot he had hands, but everyone will have the odd day like that.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
This is what I'm talking about.

You've got myself, Codsy, Rifty, Jacob all talking the Vanarama talk. In society we're taught to want to get out and we all celebrate when we do. But when it all boils down to it, there's nothing else to talk about. What are we supposed to talk about? Who's better out of Northampton and Leyton Orient? Snoozefest.

Josh Kelly looked really lively last season at Maidenhead. I thought a FL club might have moved. Who actually props up Solihull financially?

I don't envisage Solihull, B Wood etc threatening the title but they are they sorts to spring a right hook out of nowhere in the play offs. That's why it's so precarious with only one automatic.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Wait till Challinor gets there, Best National League manager out there.
Only if you want to be boring and win titles! Give me a Hursty playoff campaign instead.

Solihull were absolutely honking against us and could easily have got a battering, but maybe it was an off day. I dunno, just not convinced they’re quite as at it this year, but them and Boreham Wood maybe could live with it.

Williams has dealt with it by turning us into a good pressing side ourselves. Dunno what he’s done to Rodrigues, but he’s now back in midfield and like a man possessed when we’ve not got the ball. We’ve now got the best high press in the division ‘statistically’ to go with the most possession, and obviously Langstaff going at better than a goal a game will help. Our one remaining problem is just random meltdowns, our only blip so far really was losing at Dorking because Slocombe forgot he had hands, but everyone will have the odd day like that.
Okay, that sounds exciting for you lot. Makes me feel all the more glad we got out when we did! I felt like in all out matches last season that whenever you got on the ball you could punish us but that you could be got at and stopped from doing that. We ground you down in both games at ML. If you're being aggressive yourselves then that's a problem for everyone else for sure. I might have to retract my statement about not being able to see past Wrexham. Rodrigues being pumped up isn't really fair on the rest of the division! Interesting about Solihull too, they look like they can still absolutely smash the lower parts of the table looking at their results still.

You've got myself, Codsy, Rifty, Jacob all talking the Vanarama talk. In society we're taught to want to get out and we all celebrate when we do. But when it all boils down to it, there's nothing else to talk about. What are we supposed to talk about? Who's better out of Northampton and Leyton Orient? Snoozefest.

Josh Kelly looked really lively last season at Maidenhead. I thought a FL club might have moved. Who actually props up Solihull financially?

I don't envisage Solihull, B Wood etc threatening the title but they are they sorts to spring a right hook out of nowhere in the play offs. That's why it's so precarious with only one automatic.
I've said for a long time that I'd rather be up at the top end of the National League than the bottom end of L2. The away days are much better on the whole. It's the same teams at this level that have been here for yonks. Was boring then and it's boring now, the only thing that can save it is if you're up in a playoff/promotion battle.

Solihull have got loads of directors/investors. But on top of that, haven't they also been given loads of money from Jaguar to facilitate a ground move? The council forced it I think so they've been paid off? I might have got those details wrong, but something like that is going down I think.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
i was certainly an advocate of 3 up 3 down when we were stuck down in that godforsaken shithole and i still do now, it’s crazy that league 2 can have 4 up and 2 down when the conference is the opposite of 2 up and 4 down.

Few sides come up and go straight through though i recall lincoln doing so their 2nd season? and i doubt that and side towards the top of the conference would be up in our playoffs with respect.

The one big difference (again grimsby and stockport fans will know more) is usually the pace of the game, stockport looked alright when they came to mansfield but after the wonder goal by sarcovic we stepped up the gears and pace and they didn’t really have much of answer, sort that out and half the battle has been won.

Maybe it could be trialled where the 3rd bottom team go into the weird and wonderful playoff system the conference has?

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
i was certainly an advocate of 3 up 3 down when we were stuck down in that godforsaken shithole and i still do now, it’s crazy that league 2 can have 4 up and 2 down when the conference is the opposite of 2 up and 4 down.

Few sides come up and go straight through though i recall lincoln doing so their 2nd season? and i doubt that and side towards the top of the conference would be up in our playoffs with respect.

The one big difference (again grimsby and stockport fans will know more) is usually the pace of the game, stockport looked alright when they came to mansfield but after the wonder goal by sarcovic we stepped up the gears and pace and they didn’t really have much of answer, sort that out and half the battle has been won.

Maybe it could be trialled where the 3rd bottom team go into the weird and wonderful playoff system the conference has?

ahem :bye:

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers

he certainly doesnt when out with other players girlfriends. The reason we had to ship him off on loan sharpish....

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I've said for a long time that I'd rather be up at the top end of the National League than the bottom end of L2. The away days are much better on the whole.

Dorking’s owner/manager/chairman/founder/overlord has taken to giving visiting fans a £300 bar tab, just wandered in the pub I was in a couple of weeks ago and gave it to the first lad he saw in a Notts shirt to dish out.

They’re one of those teams you’re like ‘how has it come to this’ and it’s actually one of the best away days imaginable, lovely little town and set up, should be all of your lot’s first hope for a cup draw.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Dorking’s owner/manager/chairman/founder/overlord has taken to giving visiting fans a £300 bar tab, just wandered in the pub I was in a couple of weeks ago and gave it to the first lad he saw in a Notts shirt to dish out.

They’re one of those teams you’re like ‘how has it come to this’ and it’s actually one of the best away days imaginable, lovely little town and set up, should be all of your lot’s first hope for a cup draw.
Yeah, I've watched a few short documentaries on them and their owner. Seems well sound and yep it's an absolutely insane story. I remember Stewart Donald buying all the Town fans a beer at Eastleigh one season, class when someone does something like that. Makes me wonder if they do it at every match.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland

Ahem, we won the L2 title (div3 back then) first season back

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

3rd bottom in L2 vs 2nd in the National League in one off cup final in addition to the wacky races playoff system they have would be good.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Eight teams have got back-to-back promotions from the National League to League One (or their previous names). Tranmere the most recent ones in 2018/19.

RiftHouseLad

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

You mention Josh Kelly, I also thought this lad Kian Spence (Halifax) my have caught the eye.
Only saw him on the telly, You may have seen him up close.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
You mention Josh Kelly, I also thought this lad Kian Spence (Halifax) my have caught the eye.
Only saw him on the telly, You may have seen him up close.
He was the player who always impressed me for Halifax. Surprised so many of their play-off team from last season went but he stayed. Priced out perhaps.

Don't know if I'll be able to find it again but I posted up a picture that a Halifax fan had taken and plastered across social media last season. It was of one of our scouts and it's reviews of three players in particular (the Halifax fan had slyly taken it over his shoulder).

Spence had a long list of +'s next to his name, Green who went to Grimsby didn't seem to have much either way and a lad who went to Lincoln this summer had a fair few -'s next to his name. I'd be suprised if Spence isn't in the FL soonish. Although saying that, I'm starting to doubt if some of our scouts are all that good. We've got loads of scouts knocking about, don't know who was at Halifax that day. We're stocked in midfield so can't see us moving for him.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
He was the player who always impressed me for Halifax. Surprised so many of their play-off team from last season went but he stayed. Priced out perhaps.

Don't know if I'll be able to find it again but I posted up a picture that a Halifax fan had taken and plastered across social media last season. It was of one of our scouts and it's reviews of three players in particular (the Halifax fan had slyly taken it over his shoulder).

Spence had a long list of +'s next to his name, Green who went to Grimsby didn't seem to have much either way and a lad who went to Lincoln this summer had a fair few -'s next to his name. I'd be suprised if Spence isn't in the FL soonish. Although saying that, I'm starting to doubt if some of our scouts are all that good. We've got loads of scouts knocking about, don't know who was at Halifax that day. We're stocked in midfield so can't see us moving for him.
Green does a lot of dirty work. Hurst was absolutely buzzing to have signed him. He's been decent so far, think he's still getting to grips with League 2.

Have you lot got a head of recruitment? Our owners did a Q&A podcast last week and said we're bringing one, to be announced soon.

RiftHouseLad

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

Thanks Stocky.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Green does a lot of dirty work. Hurst was absolutely buzzing to have signed him. He's been decent so far, think he's still getting to grips with League 2.

Have you lot got a head of recruitment? Our owners did a Q&A podcast last week and said we're bringing one, to be announced soon.
We've got a Director of Football, the universally unpopular Simon Wilson who sacked Gannon, appointed Rusk and was bailed out by the owner putting his foot down and getting in Challinor to save our season. His recruitment is actually shite too. He comes out with all the planning shite before every summer but both of our summer windows have been poor to be honest. We made good signings during last season to aid Challinor in bailing us out but they were more opportunistic than strategic.

We have all sorts of Scouts, Chief Scout of this, Head scout of that. One of them is former Blackburn striker Matt Jansen. Nobody really knows who does what, recommends what, signs off on what etc so hard to blame any individual but Wilson who as the D.O.F oversees and heads it all.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Barrow finished 22nd last season. Couple of results either way and they swap with Oldham who are a manager down and struggling to hit mid table in NL. Barrow are now right up there in L2. Fine margins.

This division is a step up but we are doing genuinely terribly and everything that could have gone wrong in our opening 10 has. And we're still like 16th or 17th

We finished 17 points ahead of Grimsby last season and they're on the tip of the play-offs.

10 games in and I can confirm League Two is a step up but not as much as people on here claimed.
Barrow are now in their 3rd season back in the league. They've been through about 43 managers in that time, the fact they're finally looking like a decent team isn't a reflection on the quality in non league. They've had to evolve a lot since promotion to get where they are now.

Sure there are some big teams down there who might do well after promotion but Stockport saying they recruited poorly isn't an argument that they were just unlucky and should otherwise be up the top end, neither is them saying that so many players who did well for them in the conference are for some reason not playing as well this season.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
We have all sorts of Scouts, Chief Scout of this, Head scout of that. One of them is former Blackburn striker Matt Jansen. Nobody really knows who does what, recommends what, signs off on what etc so hard to blame any individual but Wilson who as the D.O.F oversees and heads it all.

We have a Director of Football, a Technical Director, a Sporting Director and a Head of Recruitment. Who knows how those jobs are supposed to vary. Meanwhile in the dugout, we seem to have a management 'team' with two assistants and the goalkeeping coach equally as influential making it a four-man committee managing the side.

It's all clearly working really well though, so who am I to judge.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
The Non Executive Director's always got me, seems like a cushy number.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Nobody in the EFL will vote for it as everyone looks after number 1 but as a general football fan, I feel it should definitley be 3 up 3 down.
No I don't think so either, I just mean that the NL have shown no appetite to align themselves closer to the EFL. If they did that, it at least shows some willing, but they haven't. They're not even trying, it's all talk (and very little talk really), and even less action.

But as we both say, the EFL won't vote for it regardless.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I was an advocate for 3 up/3 down even in the many seasons we were in the bottom half of league 2. There’s no difference in my mind between promotion from the conference to league 2 and the promotion from league 2 to league 1, or any of the other “nation wide” promotions. All should be 24 team leagues with 3 up 3 down.

The only reason it’s not that way is the self interest of clubs in the bottom half of league 2, it’s not for the greater good of football.
I agree with having the same amount of promotions and relegations through the EFL. I don't think I've ever seen any reasoning why it's ended up differently?

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
We've got a Director of Football, the universally unpopular Simon Wilson who sacked Gannon, appointed Rusk and was bailed out by the owner putting his foot down and getting in Challinor to save our season. His recruitment is actually shite too. He comes out with all the planning shite before every summer but both of our summer windows have been poor to be honest. We made good signings during last season to aid Challinor in bailing us out but they were more opportunistic than strategic.

Yeah that doesn't sound ideal at all. Hoepfully, it's just one role we're creating and it can supplement the current scouting system which has been working well the last few windows.
I agree with having the same amount of promotions and relegations through the EFL. I don't think I've ever seen any reasoning why it's ended up differently?
It's to make sure Crewe and Northampton are involved in a promotion/relegation scrap every single season.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United

My only thought is that perhaps it is linked to when there was only the one team dropping out (sometimes none), so by having an extra promotion spot it meant the makeup of the division wasn't quite as similar each year? Instead of six teams changing like in other divisions there would otherwise only be four (again, even fewer prior to the play-offs).

Just a guess, though.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

Yeah, scraped the PO's in our first season back and comfortably won it in our second.

I vaguely recall the average finishing position of a promoted side over how ever many seasons it was, was 14th/15th. I think if you look down the years, there have been plenty who've struggled in the first season back - York, Mansfield, FGR, Cheltenham(?), Cambridge(?).

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Yeah, scraped the PO's in our first season back and comfortably won it in our second.

I vaguely recall the average finishing position of a promoted side over how ever many seasons it was, was 14th/15th. I think if you look down the years, there have been plenty who've struggled in the first season back - York, Mansfield, FGR, Cheltenham(?), Cambridge(?).

Just for some background, in our first season back we started pretty well, started to tail off then got rid of anyone decent in January/summer and dropped our budget to around £800k in time for our second season where we finished 21st. First season back we finished 11th which I would not consider struggling.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Just for some background, in our first season back we started pretty well, started to tail off then got rid of anyone decent in January/summer and dropped our budget to around £800k in time for our second season where we finished 21st. First season back we finished 11th which I would not consider struggling.

I thought we were buggered when accrington won 3-2 at our place in like the 94th and 97th minute, made our win at crewe at the weekend look simple (though with considerably less away fans).

It’s hard to gauge a side on a few games, but for instance the quality of the conference playoffs last season was extraordinarily poor, was really surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!