Leyton Orient up for Sale...again...

GuiseleySteve

Reaction score
Supports
Guiseley AFC
Won't be this season, four months behind every else. Tbh I and the vast majority of fans will take survival and consolidating ourselves this season.

(Although I think after a 1-0 loss at home to Guiseley fan opinion may change!)
It would have to be scored by a defender from a set piece as we don't have any strikers or wingers right now!

Quietly confident though, our outgoing chairman has said we have a reasonable budget for the coming season so I don't expect to have 20 other teams stood on our shoulders come April.

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
It would have to be scored by a defender from a set piece as we don't have any strikers or wingers right now!

Quietly confident though, our outgoing chairman has said we have a reasonable budget for the coming season so I don't expect to have 20 other teams stood on our shoulders come April.

I was thinking Lockwood from a 92nd minute corner in a proper scrappy dour affair.

Etienne Vermeer

Reaction score
Supports
Millwall
I think for opening day you'll get Fylde away, be moved to an early start for TV, and lose 3-0. Just to bring it all home.

Really though, I'm glad you have a future again :)

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I think o's fans seem realistic about this season which is for the best given that it'd take a massive effort to get a decent side together given the chaos.

When radford took over us we finished in midtable (though got to Wembley in the trophy) then the playoffs losing to York the next season and went up the season after - so like what you guys are suggesting, new owners don't necessarily bring it straight away.

As all have said on here, I'm thrilled that you've got a new owner and can move forward in a new light - sides like Bristol rovers have proved that you can go down come back up and move on.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
I think if nothing else, O's should level out here rather than keep dropping further and further. Promoted back to the league within 5 years should be the aim I guess.

On the new owners, I always exercise a little caution when replacing a nightmare owner like Becchetti as it seems to be a case of 'anyone but them'. Could be a dangerous thing, but from what I understand at least one of the new owners is actually an O's fan? Should be safe enough in that case....

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
I hear Becchetti is now in talks to buy Blackpool and Coventry as both clubs need somebody they can trust and Becchetti fits the bill.

You cannot be serious!

I wonder what inaction the EFL will take over this guy ........ absolutely nothing I expect. We went under in 2010 when we had someone far worse than Becchetti and the football League eventually banned him. He now owns Bangor City, who do not come under their jurisdiction. His ban was for 10 years I believe, so he'll be back in 3 years.

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
I think if nothing else, O's should level out here rather than keep dropping further and further. Promoted back to the league within 5 years should be the aim I guess.

On the new owners, I always exercise a little caution when replacing a nightmare owner like Becchetti as it seems to be a case of 'anyone but them'. Could be a dangerous thing, but from what I understand at least one of the new owners is actually an O's fan? Should be safe enough in that case....

Yup, Nigel Travis. Lives over in Boston, MA as he is the CEO of Dunkin Donuts and he is also our chairman. Other known board members are Marshall Taylor the acting CEO and apparently another Orient fan and Kent Teague from Texas who by all accounts comes across really really well.

Day to day running will be with our CEO and Director of Football. CEO is expected to be Matt Porter who was our CEO under Hearn and his current CEO at Matchroom Sport plus is an Orient fan. Our Director of Football is now confirmed as Martin Ling, who was a player here for four years, coach for three years and manager for five years whilst also guiding us into League One and pissing on Oxford's kids ice creams.

Initial signs are very promising.

https://www.leytonorient.com/news/2017/june/LingDoF/

Last edited:

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Yup, Nigel Travis. Lives over in Boston, MA as he is the CEO of Dunkin Donuts and he is also our chairman. Other known board members are Marshall Taylor the acting CEO and apparently another Orient fan and Kent Teague from Texas who by all accounts comes across really really well.

Day to day running will be with our CEO and Director of Football. CEO is expected to be Matt Porter who was our CEO under Hearn and his current CEO at Matchroom Sport plus is an Orient fan. Our Director of Football is now confirmed as Martin Ling, who was a player here for four years, coach for three years and manager for five years whilst also guiding us into League One and pissing on Oxford's kids ice creams.

In which case it certainly is great news. I love going to Brisbane Road, probably one of my favourite away days so I hope we meet again somewhere soon.

Etienne Vermeer

Reaction score
Supports
Millwall

I'm only a couple of hours from Boston, so i can relay any "messages" you might have ;)

Side note: if he's at the top of Dunks, he must be loaded. There's one on every fucking street corner here in New England it seems.

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
I'm only a couple of hours from Boston, so i can relay any "messages" you might have ;)

Side note: if he's at the top of Dunks, he must be loaded. There's one on every fucking street corner here in New England it seems.

He's only CEO, but yes, he does have a bit of dosh laying around. I'm not sure how much he's going to invest; we've also got Mr Teague who judging by his businesses evidently has some money, we've got our interim CEO who is a future investor and a few not announced yet - sounds like there's a group of people putting in money and I would expect us to have a higher end budget for this league. Of course that would include that we're probably one of the better clubs in terms of revenue anyway at this level, but nevertheless "we are very well funded" according to Travis but I don't envisage anything ridiculous. That is all speculation however on my behalf.

On a side note, we're apparently in talks with Martin Allen about the Head Coach vacancy.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Really glad this is all over, really is great news.

Becchetti is all over. Waiting for this new dream to come crumbling down around our ears. I'd still take 20th, given the parlous state of the club and playing staff right now.

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Becchetti is all over. Waiting for this new dream to come crumbling down around our ears. I'd still take 20th, given the parlous state of the club and playing staff right now.

Without a shadow of a doubt. I think in the main people overestimate the kids and underestimate this division. I've said all along and unless something significant changes (a budget of over £2m for example which I think is highly unlikely) this year is all about rebuilding and laying the foundations for a promotion effort next season. A number of teams have come down in a better state than us and taken a while to adapt. Bring in a number (10 or so) of signings who can be a part of 2018/19, fill the rest with the kids and see how they do, reassess in January and the summer. I would be perfectly happy with that.

Most importantly from the interviews given so far, Travis and Ling seem to agree with that.

I do kind of look forward to our first loss against a part time outfit, just to see the fans reactions. And to finish below Gateshead "THEY DON'T EVEN AVERAGE 1,000 WTF LING OUT".

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Without a shadow of a doubt. I think in the main people overestimate the kids and underestimate this division. I've said all along and unless something significant changes (a budget of over £2m for example which I think is highly unlikely) this year is all about rebuilding and laying the foundations for a promotion effort next season. A number of teams have come down in a better state than us and taken a while to adapt. Bring in a number (10 or so) of signings who can be a part of 2018/19, fill the rest with the kids and see how they do, reassess in January and the summer. I would be perfectly happy with that.

Most importantly from the interviews given so far, Travis and Ling seem to agree with that.

I do kind of look forward to our first loss against a part time outfit, just to see the fans reactions. And to finish below Gateshead "THEY DON'T EVEN AVERAGE 1,000 WTF LING OUT".
Conference is a piece of piss mate. Straight back up is my prediction. I'm very rarely wrong.

Silver Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Maidstone United

They may average less than a thousand but probably will have a bigger budget than you!

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Fantastic to see Lingy back, give the place some structure.

Martin Allen has been spoken to about the job it seems, but nothing is done and dusted.

Ling looking to speak to a few candidates.

GuiseleySteve

Reaction score
Supports
Guiseley AFC
Fantastic to see Lingy back, give the place some structure.

Martin Allen has been spoken to about the job it seems, but nothing is done and dusted.

Ling looking to speak to a few candidates.
I was very impressed with Martin Allen when he visited Nethermoor with Eastleigh. After the game he did his media interviews then grabbed a brush and gave our volunteers a hand sweeping the terraces. Top man!

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Will he bring his secret weapon? His most valuable player at Barnet? The one that got them so many points...

Sam-Muggleton.jpg

I heard rudebwoyben considered him the greatest thing he has ever seen.

yellow

Reaction score
Supports
Torquay
Can you really enjoy the football at this level?

Farleigh

Reaction score
Supports
Maidstone
I love the football at this level, but did arrive from the opposite direction and remember some truly awful Graham Carr league football in the distant past with Maidstone.

OK. We've done the welcome for Orient, sympathised at their plight and generally tried to show what nice guys we are down here. Now can we begin to resent them for being the big spending London glamour club everyone wants to beat? Otherwise we will end up offering them charity on the pitch.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
Well done Orient, its a club that has a massive far rich history with Carlisle over the last 20 odd years (probs played each other more times than any other club) so am sure many Carlisle fans are glad you've survived.

as mentioned above by a few, be very realistic this season....you may even go down again first. It will take 2-3 years to get into any sort've solid position, even with a clean slate and an ability to build an entire new squad.....we were in the same position as yourselves when Knighton left (2 weeks before season with zero players on books) and while we had a massive budget it took is 2-3 years to get it correct. You would think letting a manager be able to buy an entire squad as he wants as a big advantage, but sadly it means he'll bring in 20 odd players....some good and some right duffers and them all signing at once means you have to wait 2-3 years to clear them duffers and cannot do that 'slowly add 2-3 more improvements' approach that normally improves a side.

Getting your manager right here is probably the single most important thing because this manager is frankly going to bring an entire new squad in, all on 1-3 year contracts, all on a decent wage.....he messes this up badly and your stuck for a couple of seasons.....sadly at Carlisle our new owner went for his best mate in Collins (In fairness we all would have at time), he ended up dreadful and we had to pay a fortune 1 1/2 years later paying off about 14-17 awful players mid-season to bring in about 10 new players.......and still went down.

at the very least if Becchetti did leave you debt-free he did one good act (even if just to hide his mess) and its a good act at the right time, no burden of paying stuff back, while re-building.

BeesKnees

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet FC
Can you really enjoy the football at this level?
Definitely. I've always enjoyed watching us play in the conference. New grounds, less segregation.

I also expect Orient to be at least mid table and probably higher so a good chance of seeing a few more wins when compared to the season they have just had.

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
I hear Becchetti is now in talks to buy Blackpool and Coventry as both clubs need somebody they can trust and Becchetti fits the bill.

You cannot be serious!

I wonder what inaction the EFL will take over this guy ........ absolutely nothing I expect. We went under in 2010 when we had someone far worse than Becchetti and the football League eventually banned him. He now owns Bangor City, who do not come under their jurisdiction. His ban was for 10 years I believe, so he'll be back in 3 years.
Will he bring his secret weapon? His most valuable player at Barnet? The one that got them so many points...

Sam-Muggleton.jpg

I heard rudebwoyben considered him the greatest thing he has ever seen.

Hi O fan

What sort of crowds are you expecting?

Are you selling season tickets yet?

Look forward to meeting you. We've had some interesting games in the past. You came to us in 1999/2000. You had a gash manager, whose name escapes me , and you were hoping for a heavy defeat so he'd be sacked ..... and you won 5-1. We went down that season, but not after a decent fight (won 2-1 at Brisbane Road). American owner Mad Terry managed the first 25 games (16 pts), before Ian Atkins came in and nearly saved us. A couple of years later Steven Vaughan came in and we won the Confernce in 2004, but it was generally back to the wall until we went under in 2010. I would say with your fan base and new optimism/owners you should be contenders at some point soon.

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Getting your manager right here is probably the single most important thing because this manager is frankly going to bring an entire new squad in, all on 1-3 year contracts, all on a decent wage.....he messes this up badly and your stuck for a couple of seasons.....sadly at Carlisle our new owner went for his best mate in Collins (In fairness we all would have at time), he ended up dreadful and we had to pay a fortune 1 1/2 years later paying off about 14-17 awful players mid-season to bring in about 10 new players.......and still went down.

Martin Ling is in charge of recruitment.

Hi O fan

Look forward to meeting you. We've had some interesting games in the past. You came to us in 1999/2000. You had a gash manager, whose name escapes me , and you were hoping for a heavy defeat so he'd be sacked ..... and you won 5-1. We went down that season, but not after a decent fight (won 2-1 at Brisbane Road). American owner Mad Terry managed the first 25 games (16 pts), before Ian Atkins came in and nearly saved us. A couple of years later Steven Vaughan came in and we won the Confernce in 2004, but it was generally back to the wall until we went under in 2010. I would say with your fan base and new optimism/owners you should be contenders at some point soon.

Season tickets will be going on sale on Monday I imagine. Gatewise, I don't have a bloody clue in all honesty. We got 4,663 as an average last season which is quite good considering we literally didn't have a team for half the season and lost 18/24 home games. Season before was 5,300ish but of course we're going to be down on away fans. Ticket prices should be less than £24 now but I haven't a clue how price elastic football is, not very I imagine. There's also going to be a massive feel good factor.... I'm going to take a stab and say our gates will be similar to last season. A good season will probably break the 5k mark.

(Watch us get 3,000 now).

Last edited:

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
You cannot be serious!

Hi O fan

I remember those games well, Tommy Taylor was the manager, we had bad luck with injuries that season - At one point having 15+ players out injured.

I remember that 2-1 at Brisbane Road, our old centre back Stuart Hicks led the way for you that day.

I would expect us to get decent crowds to begin with - Around 5000, but it will tail off when we slump down the table.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
We've announced that Omer Riza will have to re-apply for his job again - Which is the correct call to make. I doubt he will be here come August, but he still deserves credit for ticking things over during the close season.

I would say BigDaveCUFC has it spot on with his assesement, these things take time and the manager is the most important appointment. He MUST be given a season and we as fans must show patience when we have a hard time.

Ling said in his interview yesterday with BBC London, that signing players this summer is going to be done on what the coaching staff already know, because of course no scouting system has been in place.

He also said he may sign one or twoo players himself next week with no manager in place, just so we actually have some experience to call upon!

He wants A 25 man squad by the end of August, we currently have 13 senior pros IMO.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Conference is a piece of piss mate. Straight back up is my prediction. I'm very rarely wrong.
In your case though helped along the way in the play off final by Mr Ross Joyce who on the day I think would've only given a yellow if somebody had pulled out a gun and shot someone, not that I'm still bitter.........lol. :bg1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!