You are currently browsing the football forums as a guest. Sign up now for free and benefit from totally ad-free browsing. Logged in members see no ads.

Managerial Merry-Go-Round 2020/21

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
There are enough female pundits in football- mainly ex players like Alex Scott and Sue Smith. Maybe time one of them made the step up?

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United (P)
That’s the worry, don’t want a publicity stunt. Vince can do his publicity stunts away from the pitch, on it we need someone who can deliver results not column inches.

If a woman is genuinely the best applicant we get then by all means go for it, but the main thing is we get someone good.
I find myself wondering how much thought he's really going to give it, or if the publicity stunt is simply him suggesting he might employ a female manager. Like with black managers, it's not simply a case of saying 'you would be OK with hiring one' if they were the best candidate for the job (I bloody well hope you would). You have to actually look at how fair the selection process and how you decide who is the best candidate for the job, or else you're just paying lip-service.

Last edited:

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United (P)
Hopefully better than Alan Shearer did.
Chris Kamara is the only pundit I can think of who has proven their ability to manage. Maybe Phil Thompson for his time as Liverpool assistant manager (which kind of shows it's slim pickings). Granted most of the ones that come to mind tried management first and then went into punditry when they struggled with management (Paul Merson etc.) so it could be different with female pundits given that they've never had the opportunity to prove their ability to manage.

On a slightly related note, the guy who provides commentary on Workington Reds for BBC Radio Cumbria, and has done for almost thirty years actually had a spell as manager of the club some decades ago when times were hard and nobody else came forward to do the job.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Chris Kamara is the only pundit I can think of who has proven their ability to manage. Maybe Phil Thompson for his time as Liverpool assistant manager (which kind of shows it's slim pickings). Granted most of the ones that come to mind tried management first and then went into punditry when they struggled with management (Paul Merson etc.) so it could be different with female pundits given that they've never had the opportunity to prove their ability to manage.

On a slightly related note, the guy who provides commentary on Workington Reds for BBC Radio Cumbria, and has done for almost thirty years actually had a spell as manager of the club some decades ago when times were hard and nobody else came forward to do the job.
Mark Lawrenson did ok but decided the stress wasn't worth it.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
You've got Glenn Hoddle who used to manage and is now just a pundit on BT Sport.
Saw Glenn Hoddle criticise a team for blowing a 3 goal lead. He managed at least 4 clubs that did that.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

Roy Keane was fairly solid at Sunderland and Ipswich, Graeme Souness had a good managerial career, Iain Dowie was a bit hit and miss but did well enough overall. Gerrard and Lampard did punditry first before going into management at senior levels with half decent success overall.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
It's still 50-50 in my opinion

You sure?

1618325701686.jpeg

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
I find myself wondering how much thought he's really going to give it, or if the publicity stunt is simply him suggesting he might employ a female manager. Like with black managers, it's not simply a case of saying 'you would be OK with hiring one' if they were the best candidate for the job (I bloody well hope you would). You have to actually look at how fair the selection process and how you decide who is the best candidate for the job, or else you're just paying lip-service.

DV does have a knack for attracting/seeking publicity (even/often in a cringeworthy way) but is also a fairly shrewd businessman, who uses FGR, above all as part of a long-term strategy to promote his business. Given his stated stance of (eventually...) getting the club into the Championship, the new stadium, Eco Park, etc, etc, I can't see him appointing a manager purely for the purposes of gaining media coverage: they have to be up to the job. Otherwise the long-term plans fall apart, even if the Guardian are momentarily impressed.

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
Well with all this talk of FGR possibly hiring a woman manager and not having a game tonight, I'll watch the woman's international England v Canada on BBC 4 this evening.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Well with all this talk of FGR possibly hiring a woman manager and not having a game tonight, I'll watch the woman's international England v Canada on BBC 4 this evening.
I watched it...I thought Jamma's injury was bad, till I saw Lauren Hemp's clash of heads...fair play to her for battling on and despite the result I thought she was a real positive, whenever she had the ball it looked like something might happen, a real driving force.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
DV does have a knack for attracting/seeking publicity (even/often in a cringeworthy way) but is also a fairly shrewd businessman, who uses FGR, above all as part of a long-term strategy to promote his business. Given his stated stance of (eventually...) getting the club into the Championship, the new stadium, Eco Park, etc, etc, I can't see him appointing a manager purely for the purposes of gaining media coverage: they have to be up to the job. Otherwise the long-term plans fall apart, even if the Guardian are momentarily impressed.

Listening to his interviews I think you're right, he's said we will interview fairly and not rule out any candidate based on ethnicity or gender, but we want the best person for the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franksport