Matchday thread - 11/08/15

Mark kavanagh

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
I know it's very early but interesting to see all the favourites at the top of the table already. Nice to see friendly banter and no billy big bollocks from my fellow Tranmere fans. Can't wait for Braintree on Saturday now. It's going to be a fun season.

To me thats two tough games out of the way in woking, who look like they have a top defence and gateshead play off contenders last season and off a winning start never an easy place to go.

Last season we would have drawn 0-0 with woking and probably crumbled at gateshead once they pulled that one back just before half time. Both those teams will be right up there and take points off the promotion contenders so im happy this morning.

We have a nice run of games now tough but all winable although looking at the history of this division the path to glory is laden with banana skins so im taking nothing for granted.

Grimsby sound a top side this time round and judging by last night eastleigh and wrexham are fighting hard for points , always a good sign for their supporters forest green seem to be doing the business too!

Then i come to our old freinds from bumpers lane, 2 out of 2 makes me glad we are the same as i work in chester and my life would have been unbearable until saturday but its great to see them up there.... But below us at the same time!!

Its shaping up to be a great season by the looks of things i think the top 5 or even 8 may be too tight to call until about feb when the teams with that little bit of dosh to spend in jan rise to the top

Bring on the rest of the season

Semi-skimmed Silk

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town
Can we just skip to the end of the season already? Looked like we were going to struggle to score from pre-season so not exactly surprising, but why choose to play 1 up front at home to a side a lot of people expect to be relegation contenders and who got spanked at the weekend as that definitely won't help. Looked significantly more like scoring when Sampson came on up front, even after Halls's stupid red card.

Jalal looks a quality keeper and a solid replacement for Taylor. Diagne looks like he's constantly 5 seconds away from disaster and is already the main target of moaning from the crowd.

An uninspiring game that won't help improve on what felt like a very sparse crowd.

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
There were some better signs from you in the second half, I'm sure you'll improve and get going. I think that was our ninth meeting since we reformed and it was the least threatened I’ve felt against you though.

Thought in the first half we were excellent, bar some wayward passing at times. We did sit back and invite pressure on to ourselves unnecessarily again though, much like we did on Saturday. But for Glennon we could have scored a few, probably should have really and wrapped the game up. But we’re more solid at the back this year and capable of getting tight and seeing a game out when needs be.

I do think you’ve fallen in to the same trap as us last season in thinking that Kingsley James is a defensive midfielder when he absolutely isn’t.
It was the ninth meeting and we're just edging it now W4 D2 L3. As you rightly said that was the least effective 'Fax team in that time. They had a 15 minutes spell in the middle of the 2nd half when we kept giving them the ball and inviting pressure but 0-1 flattered Halifax really.

Morgan

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Thought I'd sleep on it after getting back from Dover at 2 this morning.

First half was pretty poor from both sides but Dover were certainly the better side. Dover were just playing hoofball - our usual trick - but it was causing problems and Harriers looked devoid of ideas. Jamie Grimes, now Dover's captain having left Harriers in the summer, got the first five minutes before the break. Moments later Reece Styche had a free header from 10 yards but headed straight into the ground - they broke away immediately and made it 2-0 at half time.

The second half was a total contrast. Styche went off for Craig Reid, who has put on at least a stone over the summer. On the hour mark Adam Dawson scored an excellent free kick (
) and the game really burst into life. Dawson was a menace all night and will almost certainly leave in January for a fee, then we'll go down. We brought on striker Gurjit Singh for midfielder Luke Maxwell and we were throwing everything at them. Singh's first touch was an excellent curled finish from 20 yards for the equaliser and there was only one team in it.... Or so we thought. Sloppy defending and a free header in our box meant it was 3-2 to Dover and instantly we knew that the remaining seven minutes plus five for stoppages would prove fruitless.

More positives than negatives. Whatever happens this year it'll be good entertainment.

CrazyImp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Twitter
@Sam_LCFC_90
On last night....

We didn't sound inspiring for a lot of the first half last night, hence the "boring Lincoln" comment. Moyses must've had a word because after the break we sounded a lot better, more verve going forward and thankfully Rhead stuck one away early on. They equalised via an absolute freak deflection, but ran out of steam quickly, and eventually we outlasted them to take the three points.

Stanley's goal was a bit of a thunderbastard, apparently. On to Eastleigh on Saturday where we'll get beat > 4-0.

gijsbert_bos

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
We could do with someone like Bradley. The card count really has been disappointing so far this season. We're barely a shadow of last year's side.

Gibber_McGee

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Good attendance for us last night at Wrexham too - almost 4,800 on a Tuesday night after losing our first game. Well done to the 89 who made the long trip up from Torquay.

Watching a Mills managed team is such a pleasure. The passing football is a joy to watch. I think we will get tonked a few times this season but I think we will also turn many teams over and more importantly entertain - something we haven't seen since the 98 point season a few years ago.

Dom Vose already looks a class above this league. How he has ended up in the Conference I don't know but I am glad he has and that he is with us!

Imp in Branston

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Can we just skip to the end of the season already? Looked like we were going to struggle to score from pre-season so not exactly surprising, but why choose to play 1 up front at home to a side a lot of people expect to be relegation contenders and who got spanked at the weekend as that definitely won't help. Looked significantly more like scoring when Sampson came on up front, even after Halls's stupid red card.

Jalal looks a quality keeper and a solid replacement for Taylor. Diagne looks like he's constantly 5 seconds away from disaster and is already the main target of moaning from the crowd.

An uninspiring game that won't help improve on what felt like a very sparse crowd.

Well a lot of us Imps did say that Diagne was utter shite. He just makes far too many mistakes and you always have your heart in your mouth and your head in your hands when he is on the ball or being asked to do any defending.

CrazyImp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Twitter
@Sam_LCFC_90
I'll give Diagne some credit - he looks a lot better wide than at CB, but that's mainly because there's no conceivable way he can be worse going forward than defensively.

He wasn't too bad 2/3 seasons ago when he initially came on loan....just an utter disaster in his brief spell last season though.

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon.It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon. :woot:

CrazyImp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Twitter
@Sam_LCFC_90
It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's a marathon not a sprint, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon.It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon, It's not a sprint it's a marathon. :woot:
Bencherif and Burrow aren't going to win you many marathons.

Semi-skimmed Silk

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town
Well a lot of us Imps did say that Diagne was utter shite. He just makes far too many mistakes and you always have your heart in your mouth and your head in your hands when he is on the ball or being asked to do any defending.

I'll give Diagne some credit - he looks a lot better wide than at CB, but that's mainly because there's no conceivable way he can be worse going forward than defensively.

He wasn't too bad 2/3 seasons ago when he initially came on loan....just an utter disaster in his brief spell last season though.

I know he wasn't exactly world-class when we had him 3+ years ago, but during his time at Lincoln he seems to have lost the ability control a football entirely. Very much believed your warnings a few weeks ago, sadly the only reason he's playing is 'cause of our LB being out for months.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Good attendance for us last night at Wrexham too - almost 4,800 on a Tuesday night after losing our first game. Well done to the 89 who made the long trip up from Torquay.

Watching a Mills managed team is such a pleasure. The passing football is a joy to watch. I think we will get tonked a few times this season but I think we will also turn many teams over and more importantly entertain - something we haven't seen since the 98 point season a few years ago.

Dom Vose already looks a class above this league. How he has ended up in the Conference I don't know but I am glad he has and that he is with us!

Vose looks a hell of a player. I guess we've got Tony Humes to thank for freezing him out at Colchester.

Dickie Davies eyes

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Enjoyed my day out in Gateshead yesterday, crap game but great result. Highlight of day the fine ales in the Schooner pub.
Shitty journey home with the A19 closed near Sunderland and the M62 closed at Warrington.

GTFC1979

Reaction score
Supports
grimsby town
So what is it then........?

ShrewdBlue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
Pleased with 6 points from Braintree and Halifax but not getting carried away as I think both B'tree and H'fax will be mid to bottom half of the table come the end of the season.

Pleased that Chappell got a goal last night as I thought he had a poor game against Braintree. Sounds like Tom Shaw also had a much better game last night too.

Good to see we finally know how to hold onto slender leads, in the most part down to the impressive defence that Steve Burr has put together.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Pleased with 6 points from Braintree and Halifax but not getting carried away as I think both B'tree and H'fax will be mid to bottom half of the table come the end of the season.

Pleased that Chappell got a goal last night as I thought he had a poor game against Braintree. Sounds like Tom Shaw also had a much better game last night too.

Good to see we finally know how to hold onto slender leads, in the most part down to the impressive defence that Steve Burr has put together.

How is Johnny Hunt doing?

Gibber_McGee

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I think Johnny Hunt is a good signing, as is Joe Clarke at Kidderminster. I was sorry to see Joe go in particular.

RobinsNest

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
Yesterday I think a 0-0 draw was an even result with Aldershot although we should and could of scored, but to be fair so could of Aldershot and I must say there number 15 was like bloody messi at times ripping our defence apart with some fantastic dribbling all he lacked was the finish. (Could anyone please tell me his name?)

So far from what I have seen we need a goalscorer and then we might be close to a team who can get into the play offs.
Also I think our midfield looks solid and storer was MOTM yesterday for us IMO.

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
Yesterday I think a 0-0 draw was an even result with Aldershot although we should and could of scored, but to be fair so could of Aldershot and I must say there number 15 was like bloody messi at times ripping our defence apart with some fantastic dribbling all he lacked was the finish. (Could anyone please tell me his name?)

So far from what I have seen we need a goalscorer and then we might be close to a team who can get into the play offs.

Browne is the Shots player you're thinking of, best player on the pitch and I think everyone wondered why he was taken off. Not sure we're lacking a goalscorer, seemed to me the final ball was the main issue as we actually created very little and it was just unlucky the few chances we did have were either disallowed or hit the post.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I think Johnny Hunt is a good signing, as is Joe Clarke at Kidderminster. I was sorry to see Joe go in particular.

I agree. Both much maligned by sections of our fans, good honest pros. Decent signings for Chester and Kiddie respectively.

Reginald Fodstain

Not Scouse
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Enjoyed my day out in Gateshead yesterday, crap game but great result. Highlight of day the fine ales in the Schooner pub.
Shitty journey home with the A19 closed near Sunderland and the M62 closed at Warrington.
Also went the Schooner, nice chip butty! Didn't think the game wasn't that bad, imo, better than saturday anyway.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton

Welcome.

SGW

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I wouldn't go quite as overboard about Wxm last night as some of my fellow Reds. First half, we were very, very, very average with much more aimless hoofing than I was expecting from a Mills side.

Clearly, something suspicious was added to the half time tea because, as poor as we were before, we were that good after. It did help that Torquay had no idea what to do with the ball when they had it, mind.

Lew

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town

The number 15 is called Rhys Browne.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
I wouldn't go quite as overboard about Wxm last night as some of my fellow Reds. First half, we were very, very, very average with much more aimless hoofing than I was expecting from a Mills side.

Clearly, something suspicious was added to the half time tea because, as poor as we were before, we were that good after. It did help that Torquay had no idea what to do with the ball when they had it, mind.
Welcome!

Shotsfan1993

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Twitter
@SamOS1993

Browne is the Shots player you're thinking of, best player on the pitch and I think everyone wondered why he was taken off. Not sure we're lacking a goalscorer, seemed to me the final ball was the main issue as we actually created very little and it was just unlucky the few chances we did have were either disallowed or hit the post.

I think Rhys Browne (no. 15) was taken off because he was knackered, after about an hour he started to fade and I thought at the time it was a good idea to bring on fresh legs. As for both sides I thought we were both decent on the ball and both sides were trying to win until the final whistle which was good to see. Although a draw was a fair reflection on the game (after we somehow escaped from the first 15 minutes level), however, 0-0 does not reflect what was a highly entertaining game, and both sides contributed to that. We are a bit similar to you in that we don't appear to have someone who will score 15-20 goals this season at the moment.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
Bencherif and Burrow aren't going to win you many marathons.
They dont want to drop Burrow either or he'll get his dad to complain to the manager and he'll be in a mardy for the rest of the season, bless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yellowman

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!