You are currently browsing the football forums as a guest. Sign up now for free and benefit from totally ad-free browsing. Logged in members see no ads.

Most tinpot thing I ever heard. (tinpot thread)

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Awful emotion Jealousy
Of course. Not sure if you're serious or not there, but I'll humour you. I'd have our new owners over yours any day of the week mate. Local lads done well who actually have a connection to the club and the fans and know what we need. Plot reveal...it's not a Netflix documentary. Your new owners are obviously doing good things but if you think it's not cringey and that they couldn't be doing it at any other club in the country you're sorely misguided.

Have you read the article Jason Stockwood wrote that was published in The Guardian earlier this week? Why would we be jealous when we have him on board?

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
The new Grimsby owners seem bona-fide, and that was a good article.

Whether you find the marketing style of our new owners cringe or not is neither here nor there. It appears that its effective and that will ultimately lead to more revenue for the club.

Our last owners before the supporters trust were local lads made good and they fucked the club out of millions and we nearly went bankrupt. Weve had a well meaning but inept board since then who have steadily shrunk the club. We don't own our stadium, we don't have a training ground.

Now we have owners who since February have secured our use of the FAW training park (formerly our training ground built off the back of our 96 cup run and asset stripped from us.)They have progressed the project with WAG that will see us with a new Kop. They have been involved in loads of community projects, started funding the Womens team properly, increased the reach and exposure of our Disability officer.

Everyone seems to think this is some sort of vanity project just to land a documentary, but from their actions this isn't the case at all (also either of them have enough clout to be given a Netflix show doing whatever they want) You might not want to swap owners, and that's great- your owners may be the perfect fit for Grimsby. But R&R look like being exactly what we've wanted from owners for about 20 years.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
The new Grimsby owners seem bona-fide, and that was a good article.

Whether you find the marketing style of our new owners cringe or not is neither here nor there. It appears that its effective and that will ultimately lead to more revenue for the club.

Our last owners before the supporters trust were local lads made good and they fucked the club out of millions and we nearly went bankrupt. Weve had a well meaning but inept board since then who have steadily shrunk the club. We don't own our stadium, we don't have a training ground.

Now we have owners who since February have secured our use of the FAW training park (formerly our training ground built off the back of our 96 cup run and asset stripped from us.)They have progressed the project with WAG that will see us with a new Kop. They have been involved in loads of community projects, started funding the Womens team properly, increased the reach and exposure of our Disability officer.

Everyone seems to think this is some sort of vanity project just to land a documentary, but from their actions this isn't the case at all (also either of them have enough clout to be given a Netflix show doing whatever they want) You might not want to swap owners, and that's great- your owners may be the perfect fit for Grimsby. But R&R look like being exactly what we've wanted from owners for about 20 years.
Whether or not I find the marketing cringey is indeed neither here nor there with regards to revenue yes, however I'm still going to berate it as I see fit. As I would expect the same from any fellow supporter on our stuff if it deserves it.

And yep, plenty of well meaning local owners who started out with good intentions have ended up shafting their clubs well and truly. As have plenty of non-local owners. All we can do as fans at this stage is take note of what they're saying, read up on them and hope that they are true to their words.

Like I said too, I'm not denying your owners aren't doing great things. I was reacting to being called jealous, which is such a bog standard call from any supporter of any club who gets a bit of money in. Usually more so from fans of clubs like Crawley, Fylde, Luton, Mansfield and Fleetwood. Was disappointing that a Wrexham fan was going down this route.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
How dare you give me likes for this, Wrexham fans...I want frothing at the mouth, to be told that Arrested Development is one of the most watched shows on Netflix and a snidey remark about how all we have is Lloyd Griffiths. I'm gonna have to do some actual work this morning now. Thanks a lot.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
How dare you give me likes for this, Wrexham fans...I want frothing at the mouth, to be told that Arrested Development is one of the most watched shows on Netflix and a snidey remark about how all we have is Lloyd Griffiths. I'm gonna have to do some actual work this morning now. Thanks a lot.
I don't think Hollywood Red posts much anymore.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
combined Twitter followers of 2.5 million.

youve also got that Sacha Baron Cohen film.

I think most of us are aware how ludicrous this all is. But this is the modern world, where Instagram influences and Youtubers make millions from their bedrooms - utterly ridiculous.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

You've got Thomas Turgoose as well.....

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
youve also got that Sacha Baron Cohen film.
Which was actually filmed in Essex.
You've got Thomas Turgoose as well.....
Yeah, I was going more on the comedy train of thought. Although Griffiths hardly gets in there to be fair.

We've also got someone who has been selected to race for Great Britain at the Olympics...

...doesn't actually say he's a Town fan on there but it's been confirmed on The Fishy, so we're taking it.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Before this lot our 'celebrity fans' were Tim Vincent and dodgy Butler Paul Burrell.

nuffsaid

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Before this lot our 'celebrity fans' were Tim Vincent and dodgy Butler Paul Burrell.
We're a bit light on celeb fans as well. Years ago it was Mike Yarwood (remember him) and David Coleman. These days the cupboard is almost bare, all I can think of is (at least) one member of indie band Blossoms and possibly (Stockport born) Michelle Keegan who did a promo for the club and strangely her character in 'Our Girl' claimed to be a County fan so maybe she had some influence in that. Apart from that Paul Heaton does come to a few of our games because we're local to him but he's obviously a blade.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
We're a bit light on celeb fans as well. Years ago it was Mike Yarwood (remember him) and David Coleman. These days the cupboard is almost bare, all I can think of is (at least) one member of indie band Blossoms and possibly (Stockport born) Michelle Keegan who did a promo for the club and strangely her character in 'Our Girl' claimed to be a County fan so maybe she had some influence in that. Apart from that Paul Heaton does come to a few of our games because we're local to him but he's obviously a blade.

you can also lay a claim to this class Eurovision act....

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Which was actually filmed in Essex.

Yeah, I was going more on the comedy train of thought. Although Griffiths hardly gets in there to be fair.

We've also got someone who has been selected to race for Great Britain at the Olympics...

...doesn't actually say he's a Town fan on there but it's been confirmed on The Fishy, so we're taking it.
Don’t forget Adam Richman of Man v Food, he donated £20000 to the Operation promotion fund in 2015.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Why does everyone forget Mike hallett. Poor Mike. Was nearly big in his day.
I remember when I was a teenager Mike Hallett being in the final of I think the Masters, against Stephen Hendry first to 9 and Hallett was 7-0 and 8-2 up and ended up losing 9-8, and then when he got home he found out that his house had been burgled.

Posh Harry

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I remember when I was a teenager Mike Hallett being in the final of I think the Masters, against Stephen Hendry first to 9 and Hallett was 7-0 and 8-2 up and ended up losing 9-8, and then when he got home he found out that his house had been burgled.
He’d had better days then.

Aberstone

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
I’d love to find out why he was running away from British Transport Police.

Edit: That’s harsh and unfounded re: pushing but god it’s all embarrassing.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
All the celebs

what I dont understand is thats the 18/19 kit he's wearing. Long time fan?
He hosted a charity quiz at the Lager Club a few years back.

No, really he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henotech