Match Day National League Fixtures Tue Jan 25

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I said it earlier in the year but I can't work Garrard out. He does a good job with Boreham Wood, albeit they've been backed fairly well every season he's been there, but it's all very, well, boring? His sides rarely score or concede many , pretty similar numbers every season - GF44/GA49, 49/48, 64/47 (2017/18 - was that the Andrade seasons when they had a really good front three?), 53/65, 55/40, 52/48, this season much better at 31/14 but 31 is a low GF figure, more in keeping with a bottom half side.

As Jacob points out as well, he sides fluctuate quite heavily, he can't seem to sustain it - from his first season (took over in September that season) to last season, he's finished 19th, 11th, 4th, 20th, 5th, 14th.

He strikes me as someone who's comfortable with staying where he is and will stay there for years, which is probably why his side mirrors him, a bit risk averse.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I'm enjoying Keith Hill on Radio Humberside. It's been dour as fuck this season with so much Hurst and McCann on there. Hill speaks with a bit of passion at least.

Regarding PH boring us, the start of the season we were purring. Playing some proper nice stuff but we're obviously massively struggling now. Cheers for not being able to afford to offer McAtee a decent deal though, he's our best player by an absolute mile. Gonna be great watching him score past you next season.
You wait until Keith Hill gets to his David Brent stage.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I expect he’ll throw the towel in when Relegation is confirmed.

McAtee wasn’t going to re-sign for us he wasn’t interested. I wonder if he looks at his brother sometimes and thinks is that what you can do with hard work.

I’m doubtful we will play you next year, expecting a Boston situation and be dumped down to say, the NPL.
I also wonder about McAtee and how he views his brother. He's always sharing anything his bro does well on Twitter. I'd like to know if James McAtee was loads better growing up or was it circumstance that lead to him being at one of the top sides in the country and John being at Scunny and Grimsby!

On the subject of playing you again, do you enjoy the derby games? It's great when we win them but I find them really stressful and the atmosphere is often so toxic, more so than with say Lincoln who I've always generally enjoyed playing. I rarely enjoy Town and Scunny matches, so while it'd be a big match to have it back again I'm fairly happy with us being in separate divisions.

John Still

Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham
Thing with them/him is they seem to have every other year off, though, which he probably couldn’t get away with at a bigger club.

They made the play-offs in 17/18, then nearly went down in 18/19, then made the play-offs again the next year, then finished bottom half last season with Tshimanga, and are now going for the title despite replacing him with Scott Boden. Weird club.
They sell most of their players when offered decent wedge, he has had to rebuild every other season by the looks of it so can be forgiven for the up and down nature of their positions in the league. He goes under the radar because it’s Boreham Wood, this cup run will wake a few up though and it would not surprise me to think he is on very good money so also no need to look to leave as very comfortable job with little expectation.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
So with the exception of the Solihull game every one of our losses in our bad run of form has been by one goal.

Reading Wrexham comments say we look a decent side it's clear where our problems lie in attack and that lack of goalscorer. Unfortunately I think Hurst thinks he has solved that by signing Abrahams and making him no. 9. I hope that isn't the case as well may as well write the rest of the season of if so.

Concede one and it's game over with current form and lack of confidence in front of goal. Thankfully 5 of our next 6 games are what you would class as "winnable" on paper, hopefully we can turn that confidence around.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
One of our successes last night was playing Liam McAlinden as a left wing back where he had a good game. He came on there against Yeovil after Hossanahs injury and did well then too. He's found starts hard to come by so might be a big opportunity for him! as long as we are always going forward and don't expect him to defend much at least.

Y Ddraig Goch

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham AFC
One of our successes last night was playing Liam McAlinden as a left wing back where he had a good game. He came on there against Yeovil after Hossanahs injury and did well then too. He's found starts hard to come by so might be a big opportunity for him! as long as we are always going forward and don't expect him to defend much at least.
I noticed a lot less of Tozer bringing the ball out of the back into midfield, maybe due to the back three being more of a flat back three to cover for having a winger(?) at LWB (even though Hosannah isn't much of a defender either). Of course it could have been that we now have a more 'direct' route to the strikers.

fifaking

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

Yeah McAlinden was very good - interesting to see if he stays there short-term and Hosannah now faces a battle with RHJ for right back. Smith (I think?) the Grimsby right back really struggled to deal with McAlinden, and generally seemed nervous all game.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
So with the exception of the Solihull game every one of our losses in our bad run of form has been by one goal.

Reading Wrexham comments say we look a decent side it's clear where our problems lie in attack and that lack of goalscorer. Unfortunately I think Hurst thinks he has solved that by signing Abrahams and making him no. 9. I hope that isn't the case as well may as well write the rest of the season of if so.

Concede one and it's game over with current form and lack of confidence in front of goal. Thankfully 5 of our next 6 games are what you would class as "winnable" on paper, hopefully we can turn that confidence around.
Is it as simple as not being very good up top?

I think you lose lots of games narrowly and struggle to score because you often set up so conservatively, particularly away from home.

At some point very soon surely Hurst has to throw caution to the wind or he’s going to lose his job.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
We struggle with these games anyway where our overplaying costs us more because the space closes quicker, but we looked massively undercooked tonight. Very much like a team that’s basically played two games in the last seven weeks, just no sharpness at all. Put a lot of pressure on ourselves to go to Bromley and win.

Thought you were well worth the point. Was never particularly worried you were going to score to be honest but restricted us to very little in the way of clear efforts in front of goal.

We have a real problem with away games against teams ‘we should beat’. Our games at Weymouth, Eastleigh, Altrincham, Boreham Wood, plus tonight and Tamworth in the FA Cup, have all ended up in a similar pattern where we have so much of the ball on the edge of the box it somehow suffocates the game and nothing actually really happens. King’s Lynn much the same to be honest until Roberts went mental.

Yes. Two points from Alty, Weymouth, Eastleigh and Wealdstone away isn’t a great return. On the other hand we have taken far more points from promotion rivals so far than I was expecting. Top 3 finish is important though.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Yes. Two points from Alty, Weymouth, Eastleigh and Wealdstone away isn’t a great return. On the other hand we have taken far more points from promotion rivals so far than I was expecting. Top 3 finish is important though.

Yep, it’s hard to point to the exact reasons why but we’re a team that is more likely to go and win at Bromley at the weekend than we were at Wealdstone. Still would back us to go very close, but it’s hard to make a case for us winning it when we can’t consistently win these games that our rivals are.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Yep, it’s hard to point to the exact reasons why but we’re a team that is more likely to go and win at Bromley at the weekend than we were at Wealdstone. Still would back us to go very close, but it’s hard to make a case for us winning it when we can’t consistently win these games that our rivals are.

I said in the promotion thread I thought we would fall just short, but that’s no disgrace in an unprecedented season of spending where six figure fees have been flying around willy nilly. On top of the bankrolled tinpotters. Always thought top 3 and either automatic promotion or one home game away from Wembley would be a good finish this year, even more so now with our form at ML.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

I think you lose lots of games narrowly and struggle to score because you often set up so conservatively, particularly away from home.

At some point very soon surely Hurst has to throw caution to the wind or he’s going to lose his job.
We'd created the 3rd most chances in the division about a week ago, only two chances behind you lot with Dagenham then in front of you by about ten. So while I do agree with you that we set up overly conservative and that it's not as simple as fixing just one thing, the stats also quite clearly backup this claim that with a good number 9 in our squad then we're a fair few points better off. And I'd say that's probably not just a factor, but is actually the main factor.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I said in the promotion thread I thought we would fall just short, but that’s no disgrace in an unprecedented season of spending where six figure fees have been flying around willy nilly. On top of the bankrolled tinpotters. Always thought top 3 and either automatic promotion or one home game away from Wembley would be a good finish this year, even more so now with our form at ML.
Notts home form is excellent with 2.36 points per game, your away return though is 1.45 points a game and way off really if you’re wanting to win the league.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Was it Hossanah at LB at Blundell Park earlier in the season? Thought he was given the run around by Sousa.

Smith our RB last night is on loan from Hull, only his 3rd match and he's a CB being played out of position. Efete is our first choice RB but he's out and we let Ryan Sears go after his drink driving/homesick stuff which has really impacted us there. Sears looked good enough for this level and would have given McAlinden a tougher match last night than Smith I'm sure. Our commentary team, which included ex-Town assistant manager Anthony Limbrick, said before the match that McAlinden could be a key player in the game so fair play to them. Was interesting to hear Limbrick talking about RHJ (who was at Town at the same time as him) talking about how he wasn't quite ready for L2 action when he was here but that Wrexham are really utilisng all his best attributes by playing him as a wing back.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Notts home form is excellent with 2.36 points per game, your away return though is 1.45 points a game and way off really if you’re wanting to win the league.

Well that’s why I say we might fall short, although our away form has been better since the debacle at Halifax in early October, think we are P6 W3 D2 L1 since then. The defeat coming at Eastleigh, who are to Notts what Maidenhead are to Chesterfield.

Ninety Per Cent

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
On the subject of playing you again, do you enjoy the derby games? It's great when we win them but I find them really stressful and the atmosphere is often so toxic, more so than with say Lincoln who I've always generally enjoyed playing. I rarely enjoy Town and Scunny matches, so while it'd be a big match to have it back again I'm fairly happy with us being in separate divisions.
Not really, all the idiots come out for them as when we play Donny. It’s embarrassing.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Was it Hossanah at LB at Blundell Park earlier in the season? Thought he was given the run around by Sousa.
That was Jamie Reckord, who we let go to Boreham Wood for nowt. Hosannah's a far better left wing back.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Well that’s why I say we might fall short, although our away form has been better since the debacle at Halifax in early October, think we are P6 W3 D2 L1 since then. The defeat coming at Eastleigh, who are to Notts what Maidenhead are to Chesterfield.
Yeah. We have Eastleigh away on Saturday, their home form is actually excellent (promotion type form) and given what’s happened this week I expect the prep for the game our side won’t have exactly been ideal.

That being said, being the idiot I am I’ve got a ticket for the game and I’m driving down on my own to no doubt watch us lose.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

Smith our RB last night is on loan from Hull, only his 3rd match and he's a CB being played out of position. Efete is our first choice RB but he's out and we let Ryan Sears go after his drink driving/homesick stuff which has really impacted us there. Sears looked good enough for this level and would have given McAlinden a tougher match last night than Smith I'm sure. Our commentary team, which included ex-Town assistant manager Anthony Limbrick, said before the match that McAlinden could be a key player in the game so fair play to them. Was interesting to hear Limbrick talking about RHJ (who was at Town at the same time as him) talking about how he wasn't quite ready for L2 action when he was here but that Wrexham are really utilisng all his best attributes by playing him as a wing back.

As Chief said that was Reckord, who wasn't the best amd should be targeted when anyone played Borehamwood.

RHJ has been largely poor this season since coming back from injury, although by all accounts had one of his best performances of the season last night. He's a bit patchy but can be a real goal threat- he scored 8 last season. That said when Hossanah is fit I'd rather see him on the right and keep McAlinden on the left.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980

We played 4 strikers on Saturday in a 4-3-3 and again last night had 3 strikers and an attacking winger on in a 4-3-3, I'm not sure you can call that conservative. I think our only conservative games this season have been away at you and home to Notts and Chesterfield.

As SoC says the stats show we are one of the top clubs in the division for both chances created and shots on target (though I'm not sure how much they are from our first 12 games, by now i'd like to think its average out). so again we are not that conservative, we are just not putting away those chances and conceding silly goals at the other end.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
I said it earlier in the year but I can't work Garrard out. He does a good job with Boreham Wood, albeit they've been backed fairly well every season he's been there, but it's all very, well, boring? His sides rarely score or concede many , pretty similar numbers every season - GF44/GA49, 49/48, 64/47 (2017/18 - was that the Andrade seasons when they had a really good front three?), 53/65, 55/40, 52/48, this season much better at 31/14 but 31 is a low GF figure, more in keeping with a bottom half side.

As Jacob points out as well, he sides fluctuate quite heavily, he can't seem to sustain it - from his first season (took over in September that season) to last season, he's finished 19th, 11th, 4th, 20th, 5th, 14th.

He strikes me as someone who's comfortable with staying where he is and will stay there for years, which is probably why his side mirrors him, a bit risk averse.

I guess if no one's watching, no one cares.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

It’s a bit of a weird one that I can’t work out. We seem to have the problems away from home that you would expect a high-possession team to have at home (we can’t break teams down, can’t find any space to counter or get in behind), while at home if anything we seem to have a bit less of the ball than we do away but rinse teams on the counter attack constantly. Just as simple as there being a bit more space on a bigger pitch?

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
It’s a bit of a weird one that I can’t work out. We seem to have the problems away from home that you would expect a high-possession team to have at home (we can’t break teams down, can’t find any space to counter or get in behind), while at home if anything we seem to have a bit less of the ball than we do away but rinse teams on the counter attack constantly. Just as simple as there being a bit more space on a bigger pitch?
Quite possibly - does Burchnall have them train on the pitch and do match day scenarios? Could just be that they’re more familiar with it.

Our home and away form is pretty much identical (2.09ppg vs 2ppg) but when you look at our midweek results in isolation it drops to 1.5ppg. Why? who knows - but I would hazard a guess it is either lack of preparation following the Saturday or a fitness issue (lots of the squad are carrying knocks).

Either way it’s concerning with some important midweek fixtures coming up (Stockport away, Wrexham at home and Notts at home).

Hollywood Red

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Ollie Palmer very complimentary about the Wrexham fans says the atmosphere was electric at the Racecourse. In fact the most electric of any match he can remember.
This is only the beginning Ollie keep scoring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!