October 1st National League (proper) fixtures

MTFC_07

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town
Not tongue in cheek at all really. If/when we have our poor spell like we have every year, it's so tight below us that we'll drop like a stone and struggle to climb back up again.

Quite happy being pessimistic for now!

Fair enough - we obviously will have bad spells, but I think we have an improved squad to last year.

As someone said on our message board, I think we will be able to tell where we are finishing by mid January when we have played this 15 game run of very difficult games. By that point we will have played both our games against Barrow, Eastleigh and Tranmere, as well as away games at Aldershot, Dagenham and Wrexham.

Edit - having looked at this run of games, I think you're right about being mid-table by Xmas!!

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
That's the 8th time in 12 games we've scored 3 against Braintree and our 10th win in a row against them, which is quite incredible really. I'm not sure we've ever had such a good run against a side before.

In general, the theme of our season thus far is comfortably beat anyone in the bottom third, get past the ones in the middle third and struggle against sides in the top third.

Different level of opposition, but we went back to the line-up we had prior to the Solihull game with Champion dropped, Wood back in CM and Beevers at RB and we ended up with a good result.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Forest Green 0 Barrow 0
good game by all accounts (?), Gump hit the woodwork twice, but saved by their keeper who turned a late Jordan Williams effort out for a corner - best team Barrow have faced this season

Likewise tbf, possibly joint with Eastleigh. Good quality game imo.

Bigluke

Reaction score
Supports
dover
Miserable journey, weather and result. Okay, we deserved parity at HT and whilst yes generally we were poor, very poor, I take nothing away from Chester who were excellent particularly second half. In fairness they did what we normally do, what we're known for doing, collectively pressed the ball, closed us down quickly and we simply couldn't match them.
Yeah Arnold's injury may have impacted his mobility for a couple of goals, but not on the result. Five consecutive clean sheets is quite an achievement for any team, whereas in contrast our defence continues to demonstrate how dysfunctional it has become and leaking over 1.5 goals a game, really does underline the scale of our defensive predicament.
Le Whites will no doubt be on later telling everyone how wonderfully astute our manager is, and tactically how wise he is, but forgive me that doesn't make him beyond criticism. If you are two down, getting over run, whilst yes change like for like personnel if you wish, but simultaneously you have to change the shape and at least try something different, don't you?
But not our boss who not for the first time this year when losing, or in this case over run in fact, he changes nothing and that's why we were so frustrated, as it just invited even more pressure. There was no change of shape, no different tactics, and we got an old fashioned tonking because of it.
Many of our supporters will just shrug their shoulders, say never mind it happens and move on to Tuesday where if we win, this embarrassment will be forgotten for ever, I can't do that, not when there are so many things wrong team wise, and worse spent over ten hours travelling to see it!
Well done Chester, thoroughly deserved the win lads, if not the size of it, and thanks for making our trip back home so fucking memorably pleasant!

Swedes

Reaction score
Supports
Southport
I came away from our match with Bromley feeling angry, but for the first time this season I wasn't angry with us! Bromley are the most cynical bunch of cheats I've seen at this level since Crawley were here, and unfortunately the ref was that bad they got away with it. Squaring up to then raising a hand to our player's face: booking for both players. Throwing a hand into our players face as he's about to shoot: no foul. Goalkeeper falling over screaming (and I mean screaming like a child) when not even touched, then getting up 5 seconds later and being absolutely fine: no booking for simulation. I've got no problem with player's taking the ball into the corner to try and waste time, but when they started doing it with 10 minutes to go when they were on a decent attack you know exactly how the rest of their plan is going to be.

In terms of when they actually played football, they had a period in the first half where they could have been out of sight (although we wasted some decent chances before this). Second half it was mostly us, but as soon as we got one back though a slightly deflected long-range effort Bromley started up with their antics. Regardless of what happens to us, I really hope they go down. I'm not bitter, honest!

John Still

Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham
Tranmere look like a decent side certainly along with Lincoln the best side we have faced this season. We should have really won it with having the extra man for half an hour but then could have lost it at the end. Great game for a nil nil score line.

Going to be a tough month for us need a win a Torquay Tuesday could easily see us going this month winless despite the good start.

JaggerCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Chester & Chelsea
a8a717f20dd5ef890c80b672627ccf9b.jpg

Last edited:

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
I thought the other day you looked th e best Chester 'team' you've had since coming back up, maybe missing a bit of experience in attack. Pleased for Durrell too, never happened for him here for one reason or the other but was obviously a talented player. I did have doubts about his mentality at this level but pleased to be shown to be wrong.

I love Elliot Durrell. He's everything that JR isn't.

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
Mahon’s back to his best again now, I guess it was just some sort of confidence crash for him last season. Immense performance again from Sam Hughes at the back as well, won absolutely everything and Dover are hardly poor going forward.

Good stuff from Macca and Sharps as you say, you’ve got to give them credit, think they just graft hard and do their homework.
Probably more to do with having 1-year old twins.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Another enjoyable game yesterday, just like the one against Eastleigh, two decent teams playing good football. I felt we might just shade it as the second half progressed but Barrow definitely had chances, they looked dangerous from corners when they got numbers up, but our keeper dealt successfully with any long balls they launched into the box. We hit the post and the crossbar, but Russell also made a great fingertip save, so maybe a draw was just about a fair result. A word for the ref yesterday, he was a bit of a rarity in that he didn't want to take centre stage, generally tried to play advantage and only produced a yellow for the Barrow keeper for wasting time late in the game.

Worrying for me is that we have played three of the top ten at home, plus Dover away, and only have three points to show for our efforts. In all of those games we have moved the ball around nicely but seem a bit shot-shy in the box, if that can be corrected then the future is bright. After about a dozen games it is usually possible to see if anyone will run away with the league, in addition to those who might struggle, on current evidence that is unlikely. We could get another season like the one before last, when about ten teams were in chance of making the play-offs as the competition entered its last month.

Tranmerewhite

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
Thought we had the better of the first half, Maynard unlucky not to score then he and Cooky having headers they both should have done better with.

D&R undoubtedly had lions share of play after the red but cook still should have scored at the end. Draw probably a fair result, which with 3 of our starting 11 out injured we can't really complain about.

Back to Almond.. Brings nothing to our squad.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
That's the 8th time in 12 games we've scored 3 against Braintree and our 10th win in a row against them, which is quite incredible really. I'm not sure we've ever had such a good run against a side before.

In general, the theme of our season thus far is comfortably beat anyone in the bottom third, get past the ones in the middle third and struggle against sides in the top third.

Different level of opposition, but we went back to the line-up we had prior to the Solihull game with Champion dropped, Wood back in CM and Beevers at RB and we ended up with a good result.

How's Bonne been looking for you so far?

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Average in my opinion. Can't really make my mind up on him. Good touch, bit of pace but seems to do most of his work away from central areas and whether that's because he got shoved out wide with you and that's a bit of a default setting I don't know.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
How's Bonne been looking for you so far?
Doing ok, maybe needs to sharpen up his finishing, works hard and has found out Lincoln forwards are fair game in this league! You get the crap kicked out and its a foul by you if you've been fouled!!!

Tom Fgr

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Barrow were excellent. Really tough to break down, they could definitely be in the title hunt. Very physical but they tried to win the game playing attacking football. Not much between the two teams, we had the lion share of possession, as usual nowadays, but didn't do too much with it all.

Looking forward to aldershot on Tuesday now. Should be a good footballing match with both teams playing with similar styles. I'll be pleased with a point

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Barrow were excellent. Really tough to break down, they could definitely be in the title hunt. Very physical but they tried to win the game playing attacking football. Not much between the two teams, we had the lion share of possession, as usual nowadays, but didn't do too much with it all.

Looking forward to aldershot on Tuesday now. Should be a good footballing match with both teams playing with similar styles. I'll be pleased with a point

Think we learnt a lesson against Tranmere, where we went for a point but had no idea how to play defensive football. If we play our own game, and let the opposition try to figure out to deal with us, we are very good. And yes, we are starting to look a lot like Cox's promoted Mansfield side.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Think we learnt a lesson against Tranmere, where we went for a point but had no idea how to play defensive football. If we play our own game, and let the opposition try to figure out to deal with us, we are very good. And yes, we are starting to look a lot like Cox's promoted Mansfield side.
The Barrow manager and his assistant were hilarious in the first half, like a pair of barking dogs. One of them shouted out an instruction, which was immediately repeated by the other, word for word. Can't say I noticed that being repeated in the second half, think they had both shouted themselves hoarse.

LeWhites

Reaction score
Supports
Dover Athletic
Wasn't at the game so can't comment really but my old man reckons Arnold would have saved most, if not all of the goals had he been able to stand up/walk. One of them, we go again Tuesday.

Will wait for the highlights before passing judgement.

JaggerCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Chester & Chelsea
Wasn't at the game so can't comment really but my old man reckons Arnold would have saved most, if not all of the goals had he been able to stand up/walk. One of them, we go again Tuesday.

He was only at fault for one of the goals, if not 2 at the most.

The long range shot went under him but he may have been unsighted with the number of bodies between him and the ball.

He was wrong footed by the 2nd goal but his hand on the ball was weak; Joe hart at the euros...

If you dad was in the away end he would have had a terrible view for all the goals.

He never would have saved the final goal. You'll see why when you see the highlights.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC

Was your old man pissed? No way he would have saved most of those. No excuse not having a GK on bench. BTW we only have one keeper at the club, so that's a risk we need to sort out pronto.

East Bank Shot

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot

Yep, should be a cracker, two teams that play football in the right way. Will be interesting to see just how far away we are from the big boys in this league and I think after Tuesday we'll know if we are genuine title contenders.
Would take a point.

LeWhites

Reaction score
Supports
Dover Athletic
Was your old man pissed? No way he would have saved most of those. No excuse not having a GK on bench. BTW we only have one keeper at the club, so that's a risk we need to sort out pronto.
Probably. I'm not sure - I can see the logic in not having a keeper on the bench. Only matters once a season or so. That said, it does make you look rather silly when the keeper gets injured/sent off. Especially when there's a keeper of Mitch Walker's quality sat in the stands

Mr Scooty

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
A properly fit Dover keeper would probably have done far better on a couple, but would have no chance on the pen and that goal from the Durrell chip cross. Nice to see Johnny Hunt scoring like it's 2013.

A well taken goal by Rooney in our match. We desperately need someone to start scoring and Rooney slipping into a run of form as he can do is our best hope until Jordan White comes in. And apparently Harvey played quite well up front too. Mills need to stick with him now. He can be another key player in a potential upturn in form.

Ancient Shot

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Playing Tuesdays is really testing our small squad.
Probably take a draw but it depends how we start - get a couple early and go into cruise mode or let a couple in and our unbeaten record (8) could be on the line

Ancient Shot

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Forgot to say it was nice to win at York and have a proper reason to celebrate (nearly) all night.

Been a long time since we won there

LeWhites

Reaction score
Supports
Dover Athletic
Just watched the goals. No doubt in my mind that Arnold would have saved all the goals apart from the penalty if he hadn't been injured. Three of them were terrible even when considering his injury. The last goal was fair enough, why bother moving when you're already 4-0 down. Would've actually moved across his line and saved that at 0-0.

Makes me feel better about being pumped 5-0 having seen that.

Bluandwite

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
Just watched the goals. No doubt in my mind that Arnold would have saved all the goals apart from the penalty if he hadn't been injured. Three of them were terrible even when considering his injury. The last goal was fair enough, why bother moving when you're already 4-0 down. Would've actually moved across his line and saved that at 0-0.

Not sure I would, regardless of what he might or might not have saved if he'd been 100% the way that second half went it could have been anything.

Someone mentioned to me earlier that the aggregate score this year of Ross Lafayette's visits to the Deva is 13-2 loss, bet he loves it up here! :bg:

LeWhites

Reaction score
Supports
Dover Athletic
Not sure I would, regardless of what he might or might not have saved if he'd been 100% the way that second half went it could have been anything.

Someone mentioned to me earlier that the aggregate score this year of Ross Lafayette's visits to the Deva is 13-2 loss, bet he loves it up here! :bg:
Yeah but once you go 2 down with half hour left the performance isn't really relevant because it's shit or bust. In this case bust. Nobody has criticised our first half performance?

Have a look at them goals on the BT Sport highlights, 3 of them were disgraceful, injury or no injury. Moses Emmanuel would've saved them.

Bigluke

Reaction score
Supports
dover

You really feel better after seeing the highlights OMG no ?
Your 'solid' defence was bloody awful, and if you had been there (not a criticism by the way) you would have seen them stretched all over the place. I agree with you, though subjective I know, a fit Arnold would have surely saved a couple, he really was limping badly, but not all of them, and one he actually dived over the ball or it went through his hands hard to see to be fair!!
Even worse when you then read CK saying "Some days you get days like that" & worse, "Hopefully the players will learn from it!!"
Am sorry Chris, you have to take some of the bloody responsibility, that was up there with Dagenham the other week as the stuff of severe depression.
Would you not agree TSE that whilst we can give anyone a decent game, most managers have at least worked out how to play against us, and at times it can become very easy to do so. We desperately need a change of tactics and it definitely means strengthening the midfield which got as over run Saturday as the defence got confused.

JaggerCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Chester & Chelsea
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] sure he would have saved the last one. Be in the premier league by january... i was right behind it. Went into the corner almost coming off the post.

We played with two centre mids at centre back for thw whole 2nd half

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!