Our real cup final, The Champagne Derby, Jabo v Muggleton (Carlisle v Barnet)

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Worst performance of the season results in our first home win. Crazy stuff.

Totally undeserved. I feel sorry for Barnet taking no points from that game. Even 1 point would have been an injustice, we were terrible today and totally there for the taking.
But we took our chances.

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
Glad we've got the win there, Barnet were a very good side, but we were shocking defensively.
They were so dangerous from set pieces, and could've had at least 8 goals.

Curle literally calmed our fans down after a horrific mistake of which should've led to a Barnet goal. Madness.

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
I think regardless of the number of shots we had, the 'luck going against us' or anything else, to concede 3 goals against any team is a sign of something being majorly wrong on the day. It's not unlucky that we lost, it's just poor defending. Allen will come out with this spiel about how good we were and so on, but really it's a poor, poor sign.

daviejones

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Yep, playing well and losing is extremely annoying for you, we've done it enough times to know. Really thought you would get a goal at the end there as well, thank god Gillespie was back.

Beee

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
I'm usually wary of fans of opposing teams who have just beaten us saying "you played well, don't worry". If you play well and lose then what the hell happens when you play badly?

Remember people on TFF saying that to us after every game we lost under Stimson, in the end we had to sack him after only 3 wins before the new year or something like that.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I think regardless of the number of shots we had, the 'luck going against us' or anything else, to concede 3 goals against any team is a sign of something being majorly wrong on the day. It's not unlucky that we lost, it's just poor defending. Allen will come out with this spiel about how good we were and so on, but really it's a poor, poor sign.
To be honest, the way we play... there's no shame at all in conceding three goals, only the best defensive sides this season, or our strikers having an off day will keep us from scoring two or three. It was just your inability to score that cost you, although on occasion you were unlucky not to have scored... villain of the day for Barnet fans should be John Akinde for quite possibly the most selfish piece of football and worst miss I have ever seen. But for Akinde it would and should have been 3-3 at the very least.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I'm usually wary of fans of opposing teams who have just beaten us saying "you played well, don't worry". If you play well and lose then what the hell happens when you play badly?

I know what you mean to be honest. At the end of the day it's an opportunity to get three points gone begging, and you don't quite look like you'll be taking three points off the promotion contenders this season so not taking them off teams like us has to be flagged up as a problem... that said it's only one game and there are still plenty of teams who who should be able to take points off.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Martin Allen:
You had to be here to believe it. I've never been involved in such a one-side dominant performance in 19 years,

Such a tit. I don't think you'll find many United fans who will argue that we were the better team... but an unprecedented one-sided display. Not sure about that Mad Dog.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Martin Allen:

Such a tit. I don't think you'll find many United fans who will argue that we were the better team... but an unprecedented one-sided display. Not sure about that Mad Dog.
Yeah that's a slight exaggeration. I mean they definitely deserved to win on the chances they had, but we had more possession than them and scored 3 goals ourselves so it can't have been that much of an unpredecented one sided game.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I think it's obvious that we struggle against big physical sides. Without dominating the ball, today Barnet bullied us, we simply couldn't deal with the power of Akinde, the constant peppering of balls into our box, the dangerous corners and set pieces, the long throw ins from Muggleton. They were all put into our area with real quality and we couldn't cope. Everytime Barnet got a corner I felt like they had a penalty.

It's something we're going to have to address if we're to do anything this season. We have to find a way of dealing with that kind of thing better.

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
Definitely agree with you on their set pieces, every corner led to a chance and they should've put a couple of them away. The throw-ins were also threatening.

Akinde dominated Raynes/Miller throughout, and both Barnet centre-backs were solid.

Will we ever keep a clean sheet?

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Definitely agree with you on their set pieces, every corner led to a chance and they should've put a couple of them away. The throw-ins were also threatening.

Akinde dominated Raynes/Miller throughout, and both Barnet centre-backs were solid.

Will we ever keep a clean sheet?
If we can just start keeping the odd clean sheet here and there and limiting teams to a single goal on other occasions (like most defenses in this division can do) we would piss this tinpot league.

Courtney, get on your treadmill and cancel your Nandos loyalty card.

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
If we can just start keeping the odd clean sheet here and there and limiting teams to a single goal on other occasions (like most defenses in this division can do) we would piss this tinpot league.

Courtney, get on your treadmill and cancel your Nandos loyalty card.
Nah, he'll be too busy playing bingo :lol:

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Just wanted to illustrate something, and why I have sympathy for Raynes today, despite the slip that should have led to a Barnet goal and got him a lot of stick from the home fans.

On paper, this was our back five.
Back%205%20in%20theory%20v%20Barnet.jpg

However, I paid a bit of attention to the positioning of our defenders today, and came to the conclusion that in practice, our defenders took up the following positions.

Back%205%20in%20practice%20v%20Barnet.jpg

Thompson isn't a wing-back really, he's a winger, and played as one. Brough is a wing-back, however both of them were rarely to be found behind the ball when Barnet were in possession.

Grainger and Miller are both wide players and just naturally drifted wide on many occasions when I looked down the pitch from my vantage point just behind Gillespie, Grainger and Miller were the widest standing players on the whole pitch and didn't often come within the width of the box. Grainger and Miller both also like to get forward a bit, which is fine when they're playing as wing backs (both did well getting forward as wing-backs against Hartlepool) but not as centre backs (Miller's goal though was from a set-piece, taken by Grainger, which is fine for a centre-back).

Our formation this season has been 3-5-2 and is often described as more like a 3-1-2-4 (with the 1 defensive midfielder being Joyce), but today it was more like 1-3-2-4. I would say that the entire area within the width of the penalty box and behind the half-way line was often being run by Raynes and Joyce alone, allowing Barnet free reign, something which was improved when Dicker and McQueen came on. Like I say, I don't hold it against Raynes how poor we were at the back today, and he seemed visibly bothered by his slip, which I can understand given the pressure he was under all game. At the final whistle, when all the other United players celebrated the three points, Raynes instead walked towards the Warwick Road End and held his hands up in apology... poor lad.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
Well you do not really know how to report that game really, one thing i will say is for most of the wrong reasons it was ridiculously entertaining, I cannot really think of a moment when that game was dull.

I think it was the most undeserved win i have seen us get in my time following Carlisle, but at the same time i do not know if Barnet can say they deserve the win because they flogged so many opportunities, not just chances......but tap ins and simple easy things and if you keep flogging chance after chance after chance, then you've no right to claim the win.

but it was just bizarre, we played our usual 3-3-4 formation, yet never hardly ever got going with it. Barnet came playing 3 attackers vs our 3 defenders and it led to numerous catastrophes from our side which meant we got sucked into too many worries and ended up playing into their hands really.

Action began after about 30 seconds when i personally thought Barnet should have got a pen, but didn't (and bad from their player if he dived as he was through) then a minute later we score from a free kick and all looked good with us playing well.

Then suddenly Barnet came right into it and how they never scored i'll never know, neither will anyone else in the ground, a mixture of awful finishing, lots of luck and couple of last gasp stuff, we then scored on the break and it looked fine with us confident and in a solid position, but Barnet just went for it and really dominated the first half.

Our defending was comical at best, we won zero headers so decided to therefore allow Barnet all the room and space in the world to pump in cross after cross or give them set piece after set piece. Our side looked lazy in midfield, a disaster at the back and to be fair to Ibere and Asamoah they did the best on what little they had.

But we clubg on and clung on with lots of luck until finally Barnet scored then equilized a minute later................it had been long since coming.

then came panic from the stands and lots of pressure on the side, but they clung on to half time where i personally think we did stabalise abit, the first 30 minutes of the second half we did fine, I think Barnet only had 2 chances in that period, a long range effort just wide and that ridiculous Akinde chance where we pretty much passed the ball to him saying 'there you go score!' and he somehow messed it up, probably was so busy laughing at the horrific defending that he forgot he had to put ball in the net.

Mind our fans at that point were not laughing and had big shouts of anger at Curle at this moment as the fans got very panic stricken. still i did at this time feel more comfortable but we were offering nothing, I did hope Jabo would get his one moment and if he did then he'd score, but we just couldn;t get out of worrying about the defence or coping with Barnet's style.

We made changes and it worked, good play down the right side with our sub led to our winner, a very good move on the break and also a great couple of chances where we could get ball into box but it never went anywhere sadly. The last 15 minutes seen Barnet go all out again and game turned into first half with them doing everything to score but not getting the goal, hitting bar, 2-3 good saves, lots of blocks etc, etc it somehow stayed out for an unlikely win.

Overall my view is that Allen had his gameplan spot-on today from the Barnet side of things. They worked out our formation, had Jabo in their pocket and forced our extreme attack formation to collapse after 20 minutes as we couldn't cope with theirs. The tactics were spot on for them, the gameplan was spot on, but the reason they failed is their players are not good enough and that is what may cost them.....Allen showed why he does get good teams most of the time, he outmatched Curle Tactically on the day, but our better forward play won this game and the areas that mattered for Barnet.......the defence and attack failed during the game.

but it was alot of fun, a ridiculous game, heart-attack stuff at times, they hit bar twice, had it cleared off line 3-4 times with last gasp stuff, missed numerous easy chances and tap-ins and our keeper made some good saves, we looked horrific at the back, but we do have some good battle and spirit there, we came back from abuse, panic, pressure, stuff which would have collapsed teams at 2-2 and re-grouped, improved and won the game.

Last edited:

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
One thing Curle seems to do very well is substitutions.
True, but today I think the first sub he made (McQueen for Thompson) shouldn't have needed to be done. McQueen should have been on the pitch from the off.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Well you do not really know how to report that game really, one thing i will say is for most of the wrong reasons it was ridiculously entertaining, I cannot really think of a moment when that game was dull.

I think it was the most undeserved win i have seen us get in my time following Carlisle, but at the same time i do not know if Barnet can say they deserve the win because they flogged so many opportunities, not just chances......but tap ins and simple easy things and if you keep flogging chance after chance after chance, then you've no right to claim the win.

but it was just bizarre, we played our usual 3-3-4 formation, yet never hardly ever got going with it. Barnet came playing 3 attackers vs our 3 defenders and it led to numerous catastrophes from our side which meant we got sucked into too many worries and ended up playing into their hands really.

Action began after about 30 seconds when i personally thought Barnet should have got a pen, but didn't (and bad from their player if he dived as he was through) then a minute later we score from a free kick and all looked good with us playing well.

Then suddenly Barnet came right into it and how they never scored i'll never know, neither will anyone else in the ground, a mixture of awful finishing, lots of luck and couple of last gasp stuff, we then scored on the break and it looked fine with us confident and in a solid position, but Barnet just went for it and really dominated the first half.

Our defending was comical at best, we won zero headers so decided to therefore allow Barnet all the room and space in the world to pump in cross after cross or give them set piece after set piece. Our side looked lazy in midfield, a disaster at the back and to be fair to Ibere and Asamoah they did the best on what little they had.

But we clubg on and clung on with lots of luck until finally Barnet scored then equilized a minute later................it had been long since coming.

then came panic from the stands and lots of pressure on the side, but they clung on to half time where i personally think we did stabalise abit, the first 30 minutes of the second half we did fine, I think Barnet only had 2 chances in that period, a long range effort just wide and that ridiculous Akinde chance where we pretty much passed the ball to him saying 'there you go score!' and he somehow messed it up, probably was so busy laughing at the horrific defending that he forgot he had to put ball in the net.

Mind our fans at that point were not laughing and had big shouts of anger at Curle at this moment as the fans got very panic stricken. still i did at this time feel more comfortable but we were offering nothing, I did hope Jabo would get his one moment and if he did then he'd score, but we just couldn;t get out of worrying about the defence or coping with Barnet's style.

We made changes and it worked, good play down the right side with our sub led to our winner, a very good move on the break and also a great couple of chances where we could get ball into box but it never went anywhere sadly. The last 15 minutes seen Barnet go all out again and game turned into first half with them doing everything to score but not getting the goal, hitting bar, 2-3 good saves, lots of blocks etc, etc it somehow stayed out for an unlikely win.

Overall my view is that Allen had his gameplan spot-on today from the Barnet side of things. They worked out our formation, had Jabo in their pocket and forced our extreme attack formation to collapse after 20 minutes as we couldn't cope with theirs. The tactics were spot on for them, the gameplan was spot on, but the reason they failed is their players are not good enough and that is what may cost them.....Allen showed why he does get good teams most of the time, he outmatched Curle Tactically on the day, but our better forward play won this game and the areas that mattered for Barnet.......the defence and attack failed during the game.

but it was alot of fun, a ridiculous game, heart-attack stuff at times, they hit bar twice, had it cleared off line 3-4 times with last gasp stuff, missed numerous easy chances and tap-ins and our keeper made some good saves, we looked horrific at the back, but we do have some good battle and spirit there, we came back from abuse, panic, pressure, stuff which would have collapsed teams at 2-2 and re-grouped, improved and won the game.

Dave, your match reports are absolutely excellent. They really portray what it's like being a Carlisle fan watching our team. The News & Star should give you a column.

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
The funniest moment of the game today, was when the referee used the white spray for a free kick in our own box. In fact, he used it for a free kick on the halfway line too.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
The funniest moment of the game today, was when the referee used the white spray for a free kick in our own box. In fact, he used it for a free kick on the halfway line too.
Odd refereeing today... all white spray, no cards. Akinde managed to avoid even a booking for Danny Grainger in the face, yet Mark Gillespie got booked for timewasting about 5 seconds after the ballboy returned the ball to him.

Also found it quite amusing when the Barnet player had to run up into the East Stand to retrieve the ball.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
Dave, your match reports are absolutely excellent. They really portray what it's like being a Carlisle fan watching our team. The News & Star should give you a column.

well the best report would be

aaarrrgghh, Get in!!, oooh, eeeek, aarrgghh, Yeeeaah, phew, oh god no, aarrggh, out!!!, jesus wept, phew again haha, b*gger, gobsmacked b*gger & B*llocks, urrrgh....cup of tea.....Grrrrr CURLE!!!, OMG!, Waaaay, PUSH OUT!!, arrrgh, oooh, eeeek..........hooray!

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

aaarrrgghh, Get in!!, oooh, eeeek, aarrgghh, Yeeeaah, phew, oh god no, aarrggh, out!!!, jesus wept, phew again haha, b*gger, gobsmacked b*gger & B*llocks, urrrgh....cup of tea.....Grrrrr CURLE!!!, OMG!, Waaaay, PUSH OUT!!, arrrgh, oooh, eeeek..........hooray!

I reacted to quite a lot of our defending by just putting my hands over my face and screaming muffled into them

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

I was more FFS GET BACK!!! PUSH OUT!!! CHANGE IT CURLE!!! GET MCQUEEN ON!!! ORRRRR FUCKIN HELL RAYNES!!!! JESUS CHRIST!!!! HE WAS ONSIDE FUCKIN HELL ARE YOU BLIND!! LEARN THE FUCKIN RULES LINO YOU BELLEND!! YEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

In the first half he did a white spray line that was almost vertical in relation to the free kick position. The players looked confused. I think everyone was

WSBee

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Fantastic report from BigDaveCUFC.

I'll throw in my views now.

We had 28 shots, with 11 on target - scored twice. Bit of an issue here.

Off the top of my head, I can remember the shot from Gash going over or not going over the line, Akinde not having a penalty given for a handball, Dembele hitting the bar twice from corners and Akinde fluffing a one on one when it was easier to square to Gash. You could say we were hard done by, but with finishing like today, we weren't - we were the masters of our own downfall.

That being said, we did dominate large periods of the game and it would be hard for Carlisle fans to deny we deserved something for the game. I'd much rather win without deserving it than lose without deserving it.

As for Carlisle, they were such a top heavy side - at most points in the game it looked as if they were playing 4 up front, leaving them very open in midfield and in defence. That being said, they took their good chances and were prolific - something we can't say for ourselves. Their defence, on the other hand, is appaling - no wonder they have conceded 14 goals in their last 6. I thought we shackled Ibhere well, but Carlisle will outscore quite a few teams this season.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Fantastic report from BigDaveCUFC.

I'll throw in my views now.

We had 28 shots, with 11 on target - scored twice. Bit of an issue here.

Off the top of my head, I can remember the shot from Gash going over or not going over the line, Akinde not having a penalty given for a handball, Dembele hitting the bar twice from corners and Akinde fluffing a one on one when it was easier to square to Gash. You could say we were hard done by, but with finishing like today, we weren't - we were the masters of our own downfall.

That being said, we did dominate large periods of the game and it would be hard for Carlisle fans to deny we deserved something for the game. I'd much rather win without deserving it than lose without deserving it.

As for Carlisle, they were such a top heavy side - at most points in the game it looked as if they were playing 4 up front, leaving them very open in midfield and in defence. That being said, they took their good chances and were prolific - something we can't say for ourselves. Their defence, on the other hand, is appaling - no wonder they have conceded 14 goals in their last 6. I thought we shackled Ibhere well, but Carlisle will outscore quite a few teams this season.
Didn't see the handball incident, but I'm almost certain that the ball didn't cross the line. I think your player has stated post match that it didn't, so that's that.

I don't think you'll find many Carlisle United fans denying that you deserved something from the game. In my opinion you deserved all 3 points. We were atrocious.

WSBee

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Didn't see the handball incident, but I'm almost certain that the ball didn't cross the line. I think your player has stated post match that it didn't, so that's that.

I don't think you'll find many Carlisle United fans denying that you deserved something from the game. In my opinion you deserved all 3 points. We were atrocious.

Fairs HG.

Couldn't see from my angle so it would be unfair to comment either way on my part.

Thought that McQueen was classy, couldn't understand why he didn't start. Also liked the look of Hery and Asamoah - some very good players there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!