PL shit that doesn't need it's own thread.

JoshBCFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
That steward is definitely a Manchester United fan

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
That steward is definitely a Manchester United fan

More likely a Bournemouth fan that was pissed off at the late equaliser and decided to make something up.

JoshBCFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
More likely a Bournemouth fan that was pissed off at the late equaliser and decided to make something up.
Probably haha. Seems a bit drastic given the fact losing to Manchester City is hardly the end of the world...

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Probably haha. Seems a bit drastic given the fact losing to Manchester City is hardly the end of the world...

Agreed, the steward was obviously gutted and thought the best way forward was to manhandle a celebrating fan and falsely accuse a footballer of assault!

JoshBCFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Agreed, the steward was obviously gutted and thought the best way forward was to manhandle a celebrating fan and falsely accuse a footballer of assault!
Clearly the only logical thing to do. How else would a normal person go about it?

Modernist

Reaction score
Supports
Freedom
Unfortunately there are stewards out there who can't wait for some 'incident' so they can behave like that. They get away with it too, thankfully this time a footballer stepped in. If other fans had complained they would no doubt have fallen on deaf ears.

I have to say though the cynic in me thinks that an English player wouldn't have stepped in like aguero did, players from other countries seem to be in tuned with fans and don't just see them as customers but are intrinsic to the game.

snortingfrogs

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Jamie Carragher has joined Swedish TV Network Viasat as a pundit.

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
That's massive fucking news.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
Unfortunately there are stewards out there who can't wait for some 'incident' so they can behave like that. They get away with it too, thankfully this time a footballer stepped in. If other fans had complained they would no doubt have fallen on deaf ears.

Correct. It would also be interesting to see what Bournemouth make of his idea of restraint and 'reasonable force.' Ive fairly certain if a copper is already restraining someone, it's not reasonable to then sit on top of the lad and put him in a chokehold.

And yet he classifies what Aguero did as a 'hit?' Hope the nasty prick gets sacked.

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
A single unitary authority for urban Dorset
If only it was a late equaliser.

Correct. It would also be interesting to see what Bournemouth make of his idea of restraint and 'reasonable force.' Ive fairly certain if a copper is already restraining someone, it's not reasonable to then sit on top of the lad and put him in a chokehold.

And yet he classifies what Aguero did as a 'hit?' Hope the nasty prick gets sacked.

Anyone who attends games will have come across tosser stewards at some point I'm sure. Though normally its about such silly things as standing up or entry into the ground for your mate who's a bit pissed. The bloke who gets pinned down looks to be a badly misused holding technique.

In terms of being sacked, they get paid peanuts for doing a few hours work, and if one goes they just hire another. Checking the training that they all get is probably the better solution.

Last I heard the police had arrested 3 City fans involved in that kerfuffle. Those individuals are potentially looking at a banning order now. Ultimately if they stay in the stand and celebrate, there's no issue.

I hope the nasty prick Mike Dean gets sacked as well, but there we go.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985

Anyone who attends games will have come across tosser stewards at some point I'm sure. Though normally its about such silly things as standing up or entry into the ground for your mate who's a bit pissed. The bloke who gets pinned down looks to be a badly misused holding technique.

In terms of being sacked, they get paid peanuts for doing a few hours work, and if one goes they just hire another. Checking the training that they all get is probably the better solution.

Last I heard the police had arrested 3 City fans involved in that kerfuffle. Those individuals are potentially looking at a banning order now. Ultimately if they stay in the stand and celebrate, there's no issue.

I agree with you that better training is the right way to go too, but it's clear that as an individual, this guy isnt up to the job. As has been pointed out, there are good stewards out there, and there are those who are on a power trip and think wearing a hi vis vest gives them carte blanche to batter anyone who steps out of line.

Ive said it before about Bournemouth though, there have been numerous pitch invasions from that away end (Ive been there twice where the away fans were sat in that section and ended up on the pitch when they've scored) and I think a lot of it is insufficient barriers. There is always a natural surge forward when you score, and at Bournemouth, there is nothing stopping you. Ive been on the front row before at Man City, and there is a small knee height wall, and when we scored and everyone surged forward, I hit that wall instead of ending up on the pitch. I think Hull had similar problems when they moved away fans into the East Stand, there were quite a few away fans who ended up on the pitch after big goals (Spurs one I remember when they scored a late winner there) I noticed though when I went there that last season, they too had built a small barrier at the front to stop it being a problem.

You can see the problem at Bournemouth on this picture...
32861190965_a4f20cc254_k.jpg

There is nothing stopping them putting gates in those gaps like everybody else does.

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°

Ooops, yes, late winner.

Unfortunately.

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
I agree with you that better training is the right way to go too, but it's clear that as an individual, this guy isnt up to the job. As has been pointed out, there are good stewards out there, and there are those who are on a power trip and think wearing a hi vis vest gives them carte blanche to batter anyone who steps out of line.

Ive said it before about Bournemouth though, there have been numerous pitch invasions from that away end (Ive been there twice where the away fans were sat in that section and ended up on the pitch when they've scored) and I think a lot of it is insufficient barriers. There is always a natural surge forward when you score, and at Bournemouth, there is nothing stopping you. Ive been on the front row before at Man City, and there is a small knee height wall, and when we scored and everyone surged forward, I hit that wall instead of ending up on the pitch. I think Hull had similar problems when they moved away fans into the East Stand, there were quite a few away fans who ended up on the pitch after big goals (Spurs one I remember when they scored a late winner there) I noticed though when I went there that last season, they too had built a small barrier at the front to stop it being a problem.

You can see the problem at Bournemouth on this picture...
32861190965_a4f20cc254_k.jpg

There is nothing stopping them putting gates in those gaps like everybody else does.

Yes it's the same all round the ground, that is taken from a home end. They're there for accessibility reasons. The front row around our ground is foremost for wheelchair users, and they need an emergency escape from the stand that doesn't depend on a gate being opened for them, be it home or away fans.

We have this summer ripped out some seats and built a second elevated wheelchair platform, so the need for wheelchair users to be located in the front row of the stands might now be reduced. In which case maybe we could fill the gaps with a gate in the away end, but it would mean no wheelchair using away fans could be in with their own fans, as i understand it.

There would seem to be something a little sad about having to gate in the away fans like children who can't be trusted, when the home ends have those same gaps with few issues resulting. But maybe that is now necessary.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
I know, I took it! It was just the clearest pic I had.

I dont think its an excuse to blame it on wheelchair access. There are wheelchair spaces along the front of the West Stand at Wigan, they still have gates that can be taken down if an emergency arises.
32310106083_c8bf1987cd_k.jpg

Away fans will always celebrate more wildly than home fans in general, and there will always be a surge forward. Its nothing to do with keeping away fans gated in, it's about not leaving a massive gap that people can be pushed through in the momentum of celebrations.

The whole attitude towards away fans like that is wrong. I was at Chelsea on Sunday, sat right next to the home fans in the East Stand. There was a line of stewards there sat on the steps, who when Chelsea scored, got up and run on to the pitch to form a line in front of the away end, like we were going to do something.

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
I know, I took it! It was just the clearest pic I had.

I dont think its an excuse to blame it on wheelchair access. There are wheelchair spaces along the front of the West Stand at Wigan, they still have gates that can be taken down if an emergency arises.
32310106083_c8bf1987cd_k.jpg

Away fans will always celebrate more wildly than home fans in general, and there will always be a surge forward. Its nothing to do with keeping away fans gated in, it's about not leaving a massive gap that people can be pushed through in the momentum of celebrations.

The whole attitude towards away fans like that is wrong. I was at Chelsea on Sunday, sat right next to the home fans in the East Stand. There was a line of stewards there sat on the steps, who when Chelsea scored, got up and run on to the pitch to form a line in front of the away end, like we were going to do something.

It's how the stands where designed and why they are there, from 15 years back. A lot of work was done to convert the ground for PL status, but that never came up. As I say, maybe it does need looking at now, especially if there are ways of gating it without compromising wheelchair users as you've suggested.

I do however find it a little contradictory to quite rightly bemoan the lack of trust given the away fans generally in football, yet want us to fit gating?

Watching the footage, there are City fans jumping over the advertising boards as well as surging through gaps. Obviously you can't really do much for those who are determined to get on.

I go to most away games and have done for over a decade in all 4 divisions. Seen many late winners in that time. I can't say I'm as forgiving and understanding about the encroachment as you are.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
Putting in gates is nothing to do with trust. Its a perfectly fine safety feature, when its possible for fans to be pushed onto a pitch in a celebration and receive a criminal record for it. It's funny you say the problem never came up before you were in the Premier League, Im guessing it did. My first visit to Bournemouth you were still a Championship club, and Watford fans ended up on the pitch that day too. More crowded away ends will always mean a higher likelihood of a pitch invasion following a celebration, as if its empty, you can sit where you want. It's happend now when late goals have been scored by Villa, ourselves and now Man City so there's at least 3. You'll struggle to find that many away fan pitch invasions as that in the whole of the rest of the Premier League in that time. That tells me you have a problem.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Naby Keita scored a Messi-esque goal earlier today - yep, he's better than Messi! :bdick:

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
Putting in gates is nothing to do with trust. Its a perfectly fine safety feature, when its possible for fans to be pushed onto a pitch in a celebration and receive a criminal record for it. It's funny you say the problem never came up before you were in the Premier League, Im guessing it did. My first visit to Bournemouth you were still a Championship club, and Watford fans ended up on the pitch that day too. More crowded away ends will always mean a higher likelihood of a pitch invasion following a celebration, as if its empty, you can sit where you want. It's happend now when late goals have been scored by Villa, ourselves and now Man City so there's at least 3. You'll struggle to find that many away fan pitch invasions as that in the whole of the rest of the Premier League in that time. That tells me you have a problem.

Where did I say that? It certainly wasn't as common though it must be said, and the away end's capacity was actually larger in the Championship than it is now, and usually sold out.

There's a 70 odd page document of ground regulations to upgrade for and comply with for this league (mostly relating to the media sadly, which says a lot about the PL). The ground as poor in many ways as it is, complies perfectly with these requirements.

I do hope there has been or will be a review though, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do change the front of the stand, if indeed they can get around the historical reasons for them. I think this one has been the most serious incident, or certainly highest profile. Obviously the club don't want to see this happen.

As I said I go away all the time, drink and enjoy myself. And Bournemouth as tinpot as we are, sell out plenty of away ends. I struggle to feel particularly sympathetic to people hurdling over rows of seats to celebrate a goal causing a surge. Especially if it's packed, it's stupid and dangerous. There's no need to do it. Behaviour has to come into it somewhere. I doubt the police arrests were people pushed on involuntarily by those behind. They were more likely the ones who jumped over the boards to get on.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
As I said I go away all the time, drink and enjoy myself. And Bournemouth as tinpot as we are, sell out plenty of away ends. I struggle to feel particularly sympathetic to people hurdling over rows of seats to celebrate a goal causing a surge. Especially if it's packed, it's stupid and dangerous. There's no need to do it. Behaviour has to come into it somewhere. I doubt the police arrests were people pushed on involuntarily by those behind. They were more likely the ones who jumped over the boards to get on.

You think in the midst of that kind of chaos, the police and stewards were saying to each other 'no leave him, that lad just fell over. Get him in the green coat though, he definitely jumped!' The arrests are the just the ones who got caught.

We're not going to agree. Ive been in plenty of away ends over the last 15 years too, most watching Everton, others as a neutral or watching Wigan. Surges arent as common as they used to be obviously now there are seats there, but if you happen to be on an aisle seat, they certainly still are. You can keep your sympathy if you dont want to understand that people get caught up in celebrations and can end up somewhere completely different to where they started. Bring back polite applause for celebrating goals eh? Arent moments like last minute winners like that why we go to football?

Brilliant article on the subject in the Guardian today by a former copper. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-bournemouth-police-stewards?CMP=share_btn_fb

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Trouble is there will be a few who probably aren't football fans and just think we are all a load of loud mouth thugs who cannot control ourselves at any point in the games (hence no drink in your seat or usual demands to sit down)

They probably do get a buzz out of it telling a group of "nasty football fans" off.

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
It's reported that La Liga has written to UEFA asking them to investigate Man City regarding Financial Fair Play, having also asked for PSG to be audited similarly. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41146009

La Liga claim that "both PSG and Man City benefit from sponsorships that make no economic sense and lack any fair value". La Liga president Javier Tebas said City and PSG's "funding by state-aid distorts European competitions and creates an inflationary spiral that is irreparably harming the football industry".

No comment as yet from UFEA themselves.

La Liga nursing a bruised ego over Neymar? Or do they have a fair point?

Bilo

Reaction score
Supports
Women writing about women
It's reported that La Liga has written to UEFA asking them to investigate Man City regarding Financial Fair Play, having also asked for PSG to be audited similarly. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41146009

La Liga claim that "both PSG and Man City benefit from sponsorships that make no economic sense and lack any fair value". La Liga president Javier Tebas said City and PSG's "funding by state-aid distorts European competitions and creates an inflationary spiral that is irreparably harming the football industry".

It's kind of like Bauer complaining that Johnnytodd is biased.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
Yeah, because Barcelona's ties with Qatar and Real Madrid being funded by the Spanish government are all clean and above board money...

Financial fair play is a load of crap. It's basically a rule for UEFA to keep the gate shut in their big rich boys playground. Its the equivalent of an ordinary guy winning millions on the lottery and trying to buy a Ferrari. Only to be told he cant have one because he was given his money instead of earning it.

TheMinsterman

Reaction score
Supports
York City & Italy

Barcelona and Real Madrid are constantly in the news over tax dodging in Spain lately, why is it fair that clubs who don't contribute to their own societies are allowed into the Chanpions League whilst clubs like City have at least regenerated the surrounding area to a degree and pay their way are under threat of removal?

FFP is a load of crap anyway, as long as clubs are making the transfer payments and paying their players bans are stupid, I really don't care if one got their money through ruthless protecting their historically established position at the top of their national food chain or they got investment, I care about them not paying their staff or business partners and still being allowed into the competition. If City and PSG are paying their bills then let them in.

Tax dodgers on the other hand...

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
UEFA have said no investigation will take place.

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Damn, this ended too quickly - I sense a cracker of a post from Silkyman was in the works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!