(Potential) Starting XI’s

RLC

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
GK: Joe Murphy (or Celtic loanee, if he arrives)
RB: Josh Cogley
CB: Peter Clarke
CB: Nathaniel Knight-Percival
LB: Callum MacDonald (when fit)
CM: Ryan Watson / Chris Merrie
CM: Jay Spearing
RM: Callum MacManaman
AM: Liam Feeney / Kieron Morris / Mark Duffy (when confirmed)
LM: Paul Glatzel
CF: Mani Dieseruvwe (or Marc McNulty, if he arrives)

Quite a few caveats still for us.

James Frost

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Potential starting 11 for County:

GK: Nick Townsend
LWB: Ryan Haynes
CB: Mickey Demetriou
CB: Matt Dolan
CB: James Clarke
RWB: Cameron Norman
MF: Finn Azaz
MF: Christopher Missilou
MF: Aaron Lewis
FW: Lewis Collins
FW: Jermaine Hylton

Defence looks strong again this season. Day may interchange with Townsend in goal. The back line has been retained save for Shepherd going to Salford but Norman & Clarke in from Walsall are good acquisitions.

Demetriou, Haynes & Lewis are quality and bring attacking options from defence. Assume Flynn will go with wing backs and rely on Dolan to bring the ball out from the back as per last season.

Farquharson could be a starter in the back four/five. Bennett also an option in defence or defensive midfield. Upson is another defensive midfield option. Missilou looks a solid replacement for Labadie. Azaz seems a decent addition.

Baker-Richardson &/or Hylton will hopefully bring creativity to the midfield / forward line. Senior is out for 6 to 9 months unfortunately. Hoping for a big season from Lewis Collins upfront. He was a key player in the run in last season. Amond, Ellison, Abraham and/or Telford are other options up front. Wilmott could be a useful sub if put on the wing.

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale

Defence looks strong again this season. Day may interchange with Townsend in goal. The back line has been retained save for Shepherd going to Salford but Norman & Clarke in from Walsall are good acquisitions.

Demetriou, Haynes & Lewis are quality and bring attacking options from defence. Assume Flynn will go with wing backs and rely on Dolan to bring the ball out from the back as per last season.

Farquharson could be a starter in the back four/five. Bennett also an option in defence or defensive midfield. Upson is another defensive midfield option. Missilou looks a solid replacement for Labadie. Azaz seems a decent addition.

Baker-Richardson &/or Hylton will hopefully bring creativity to the midfield / forward line. Senior is out for 6 to 9 months unfortunately. Hoping for a big season from Lewis Collins upfront. He was a key player in the run in last season. Amond, Ellison, Abraham and/or Telford are other options up front. Wilmott could be a useful sub if put on the wing.
Some decent options there up front. Wouldn't mind seeing Dom Telford in a Dale shirt if he's not getting much game time at Newport...

James Frost

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Some decent options there up front. Wouldn't mind seeing Dom Telford in a Dale shirt if he's not getting much game time at Newport...
We haven’t seen a lot of Telford. He didn’t feature much after he was signed in the January window nor has he had many minutes in the pre-season friendlies.

Not sure that Flynn fancies him & if that’s the case he may be loaned out. Would be a shame given how good he was at Bury a couple of seasons ago.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers

Must admit thought Ed Upson would have been a starter.

James Frost

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Must admit thought Ed Upson would have been a starter.
He may well do. It’s difficult to call the starting 11 at this stage. There is a good strength in depth in the squad in terms of defenders/defensive midfielders.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
1st IX
------------------Dawson---------------
----Sweeney---Ray---Hartridge---
Key----------------------------------Sparkes
--------Atangana-- Collins----------
--------------------Jay------------------
---------Randall---Nombe----------

2nd IX
--------------------Lee--------------
Caprice---Dyer---Diabate--Rowe
--------------Dieng-- Kite----------
------------------Brown-------------
-------Cox---Seymore--Coley---

Last edited:

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
GK: Joe Murphy (or Celtic loanee, if he arrives)
RB: Josh Cogley
CB: Peter Clarke
CB: Nathaniel Knight-Percival
LB: Callum MacDonald (when fit)
CM: Ryan Watson / Chris Merrie
CM: Jay Spearing
RM: Callum MacManaman
AM: Liam Feeney / Kieron Morris / Mark Duffy (when confirmed)
LM: Paul Glatzel
CF: Mani Dieseruvwe (or Marc McNulty, if he arrives)

Quite a few caveats still for us.
Macdonald hasn't featured pre=season due to shin-splints, not going to be ready for Walsall and no idea when he'll be back in contention, so LB is likely to be Maguire.

Hard to say which pairing of central defenders Micky will go for though the right-footer left footer combo you suggest is most likely.

Think Dierseruwe flanked by Glatzel and Mcmanaman is the most likely up front. Even if McNulty/another striker comes in they're unlikely to start in the early period due to a lack of match-fitness.

Haven't got a clue re midfield, would expect Spearing to start but who else? Watson looked good in pre-season, but Merrie filled in at left-back so hard to judge him. If Duffy signs, doesn't look fit enough to start but a decent bench option.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
From what we’ve currently got, would go for something like;

GK McGee

RWB Wilson
RCB Godwin-Malife
CB Moore-Taylor
LCB Cargill
LWB Cadden

CM Stevenson
CM Adams
AM Hendry

CF Matt
CF Young

Subs Thomas, Bernard, Sweeney, Whitehouse, Edwards, March, Stevens
Having seen the two pre-season games at home I would pretty much agree with what you posted. I definitely think McGee has the nod over Thomas, although to be fair he wasn't tested too severely in the time he was on the pitch and from memory all the goals we conceded were after Thomas had come on as sub. I think the defence pretty much picks itself, Bernard may consider himself unlucky not to get in the starting line up as he finished last season strongly but I expect him to get plenty of game time across the season.

In midfield I would have Adams as the attacking midfielder, with Hendry filling a more deep-lying playmaker role as this seems to be what he is more suited to. Stevenson in the centre of midfield completes a pretty impressive trio, all offering something different, probably the best we have had for years.

Up front is where we might struggle, Matt is an automatic choice for me, if he is fit to play then he does. My only concern is who should partner him, we have a group of young forwards who are much of a muchness, plenty of promise but no stand outs...Aitchison, Allen, March, Stevens, Young...who knows?

Bench is pretty much anyone who didn't make the starting eleven, I thought Diallo looked pretty good in the first half against Swansea, but did he do enough to earn a place in the starting eleven...he might be lucky enough if Adams isn't fit to start against Sutton. I think Elliott is some way off being available for selection, against Cardiff he struggled to walk down the steps in the Main Stand, but looked far more mobile on a flatter surface before the Swansea game.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Agree on the midfield, my line up was done before we'd played a game so pretty clear now that Hendry will play deeper and Adams further forward. Diallo and Aitchison signed since then as well and like you say, will definitely be involved in the 18, with Diallo covering for Adams and Aitch competing with the other strikers to start alongside Matt.

We're a bit light on numbers if we get injuries, especially at the back so wouldn't be surprised to see a loan or two come in before the end of August.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
We're a bit light on numbers if we get injuries, especially at the back so wouldn't be surprised to see a loan or two come in before the end of August.
I think the squad as it is looks ok, we have cover in defence and midfield, even if the forwards still present questions for me. I agree with you about the potential impact of injuries, possibly suspensions later in the season, and COVID is still hanging over everyone. However, I think we may find that all teams start the season with smaller squads than previously, so any issues that we suffer will probably be replicated across the Division.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Kind of exciting to be discussing the line-up of a match to be played next week! In front of an unrestricted crowd!

___________________________Norman_________________________

Tanner________Hayden____________McDonald________Armer

____________Riley___________Guy________Mellish_____________

Mampala________________Clough________________Dickenson

Bench: Jensen, Whelan, Charters, Dixon, Touré, Alessandra, Abrahams

Injuries: Feeney, Devine

Our final friendly last night probably gave an indication of who will make up our starting line-up and who is fit. We've tried a few formations too but 4-3-3, or some slight variation (i.e. same players but forwards sitting deep or a midfielder further forward to make it something like 4-2-3-1) I think will remain the preferred one as it was last year.

Magnus Norman played the full 90 last night after playing the second half against Blackpool and the first hour against Everton. It could just that he's been given game-time to make up for missing the first few friendlies with injury, but Jensen hasn't played a full 90 since arriving on loan so my guess is that Norman is being readied to start.

Feeney may have been the front-runner to take over the centre-back slot vacated by the departure of Rhys Bennett, but picked up an injury and won't be fit. McDonald has returned from injury and got a second half run-out last night. Whelan has been the other option and seems to be improving after a shaky start (according to my friend who was at the Chorley game anyway).

He's not the most popular among our fans but honestly I'd go with McDonald's experience... that added to the fact that McDonald is left-footed and with him in the starting line-up we have a back-five that have a year of playing together behind them already (admittedly not always as first choices)

Tanner has also played the majority of minutes since apparently returning from injury, and so I expect he'll be back.

Midfield picks itself, we've been a bit experimental in some of our friendlies but we haven't brought in any serious competition to the established three as a partnership. Devine is injured, Dickenson may be used in this role but I prefer him on the wing and we have a couple of exciting youngsters in Charters and Dixon who can play here but for now, I think we'll stick with what we know.

Up front, Clough has given plenty of reasons why he should be ahead of everyone else, he occupies the edge of the box and drops back deep but is a real goal threat... reminds me of a young Jamie Devitt.

Either side we've got some options and you could argue for most of them to be starting. I've noticed from standing behind Beech during the last couple of friendlies (not my usual position) that he shouts the names of whoever is in these positions more than anyone else so I think he's still not 100% satisfied that everyone here is playing to his game-plan, though they've all had decent pre-seasons.

Mampala holds the ball up really well, takes on defenders and has a good finish, his style of play seems most complementary to Clough's, so I'll put him ahead of the others.

Dickenson I think is more comfortable as a 4-4-2 winger than 4-3-3 but has looked really sharp in pre-season, looks fitter and stronger than last season, he's left-sided and with Riley able to play more on the right, a formation with Dickenson in it may look a little like a 442/433 hybrid. Also Colchester are his former club so there's that.

Touré has looked good in friendlies I've seen him in, and if he starts this season the way he started last then he should be high up the list. He looks to have taken particularly well to playing alongside Mampala as they can both turn defenders, win the ball high up the pitch and he's benefited from having players around him who keep up with his tricks. He's also probably the most capable of swapping sides during the match, which Beech likes to see in an attacker. I put Dickenson ahead of him for the reasons mentioned, but only just.

Alessandra should be as dependable as ever and I prefer seeing him centrally rather than out wide where he's been used in most of the friendlies. Clough doesn't really sit deep to the point where the other two forwards come in for the link-up play but that's more Alessandra's thing. Perhaps providing support to someone like Abrahams. It's been a bit harder though to try and judge what position we're looking for Abrahams to play based on the pre-season. He's been a bit more peripheral in the two home friendlies I've seen but seemed to be scoring plenty in the previous ones that I wasn't at. I think he's maybe seen as more of a striker but he's the one I know least about so maybe I'm judging him harshly but I can't figure out where he'd fit in with the starting line-up.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I'm going to guess our line-up will be similiar to how we set up against Hull, we are still looking for a CB after our deal fell through for Tom Naylor, which was a blow, think that signing would be tough to top this summer for L2. How we set up very much varies often with Clough, I'm happy with our squad with a bit of worry in regards to our defence, Kellan is suspect at best at defending and like I mentioned we lack another quality CB.

GK - Nathan Bishop

Defence
Kellan Gordan
Farrend Rawson
James Perch
Stephen McLaughlin

Midfield (Usually diamond)
George Maris
Ollie Clarke
Stephen Quinn
George Lapslie

Attack
Danny Johnson
Oli Hawkins

That leaves the likes of Jordan Bowery(ST), Harry Charsley(CM), Rhys Oates(ST), Ryan Burke(young loan LB), George Shelvey(young loan GK), Elliott Hewitt (CB/RB) Ryan Stirk (young loan CM)

plus quite a few from our academy that were given a chance last season and did quite well including Tyrese Sinclair (CAM) Jason Law (CM) James Clarke (RB) Keaton Ward (CM) Jimmy Knowles (ST) Jaden Charles (LB) Sinclair is likely to feature a bit this season, he's good at doing what Grealish did for England, coming on and creating chances and getting plenty of free-kicks, a few of the others will go out on loan I imagine.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
On June 30th, on page 1 of this thread I posted what I thought would be the starting side for Crawley. Since then we've had friendlies and players performing well and woefully, players retiring and others not coming back from injury.

I was going to update it but realised that we could be signing some of the trialists tomorrow (first working day in August) which would/could change the line up.

The one thing I'm sure off is that it will be strange not to have Dannie Bulman's name anywhere after his decision to quit playing.

Casey

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
I'm going to guess our line-up will be similiar to how we set up against Hull, we are still looking for a CB after our deal fell through for Tom Naylor, which was a blow, think that signing would be tough to top this summer for L2. How we set up very much varies often with Clough, I'm happy with our squad with a bit of worry in regards to our defence, Kellan is suspect at best at defending and like I mentioned we lack another quality CB.

GK - Nathan Bishop

Defence
Kellan Gordan
Farrend Rawson
James Perch
Stephen McLaughlin

Midfield (Usually diamond)
George Maris
Ollie Clarke
Stephen Quinn
George Lapslie

Attack
Danny Johnson
Oli Hawkins

That leaves the likes of Jordan Bowery(ST), Harry Charsley(CM), Rhys Oates(ST), Ryan Burke(young loan LB), George Shelvey(young loan GK), Elliott Hewitt (CB/RB) Ryan Stirk (young loan CM)

plus quite a few from our academy that were given a chance last season and did quite well including Tyrese Sinclair (CAM) Jason Law (CM) James Clarke (RB) Keaton Ward (CM) Jimmy Knowles (ST) Jaden Charles (LB) Sinclair is likely to feature a bit this season, he's good at doing what Grealish did for England, coming on and creating chances and getting plenty of free-kicks, a few of the others will go out on loan I imagine.
Here is Nigel Clough’s low down on the squad

Big Bird

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
----------------------Wollacott------------------------
-------Conroy------Baudry----Crichlow--------
Kesler-----------‐---------------------------------Hunt
-------------------------Grant----------------------------
-----------------Payne------Reed---------------------
------------------------Gladwin-------------------------
------------------------Simpson----------------‐-------

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams

Some fantastic attacking options there, if you can keep them fit. Defence looks a bit suspect, though.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

Romoney Crichlow Noble? He’s never a centre back in a million years, LB/LWB is his position, gonna struggle if he’s one of your CB’s

Simpo

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Oldham

3-4-3

GK Jayson LEUTWILER

CB Harrison McGAHEY
CB Carl PIERGIANNI
CB Jordan CLARKE

WB Sam HART
CM Ouss CISSE
CM Jamie BOWDEN
WB Nicky ADAMS

LW Davis KEILLOR-DUNN
ST Hallam HOPE
RW Dylan BAHAMBOULA

Only one proper centre mid is on the books at the moment. I expect a couple to come in soon.

If Bahamboula goes, slot Dearnley in up top and Hope shifts to the right.
Updated our centre midfield with today's signings. I can suggest a bench now too:

GK: Danny ROGERS
CB/FB: Alan SHEEHAN
CB/DM: Raphael DIARRA
WB/MF: Dylan FAGE
CM: Callum WHELAN
W: Jack STOBBS
ST: Zak DEARNLEY

Unfortunately we'll have some key players missing today due to a small, but contained, covid outbreak.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Some fantastic attacking options there, if you can keep them fit. Defence looks a bit suspect, though.
Defence is very injury prone. Baudry and Conroy are decent defenders but I always expect either or both to get injured every game.

Romoney Crichlow Noble? He’s never a centre back in a million years, LB/LWB is his position, gonna struggle if he’s one of your CB’s
Think he came on down the left for us today and did well. Not sure what the plan is long term!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!