Pre season friendlies

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Tbf Grimsby fans don’t usually read too much into pre season results…
The HMS piss the league photo that Dan Phillips kindly donated to this forum before his strange disappearance once Vale started losing was gonna be out in force in the Non League forum today had we beaten Rotherham but alas it was not to be. :(

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
The HMS piss the league photo that Dan Phillips kindly donated to this forum before his strange disappearance once Vale started losing was gonna be out in force in the Non League forum today had we beaten Rotherham but alas it was not to be. :(
He can't play world of warships anymore because it gives him flashbacks.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Beat Maidenhead 2-1, goals from Darren Pratley and a late Ruel Sotiriou Penalty. We had 6 players out for various reasons and ended the game with only 4 experienced players on the pitch. In the end we did well to win the game with the youngsters we had on the pitch.

We had Marcus Barnes on trial, he mised an open goal leading up to our first goal and then came off injuring his achillies a few minutes later.

We looked a good organised side, but lacking alot of nous at the top end of the field.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
I think a good few hundred will be present despite having to pay £16 and you lot getting in for nothing.
Your pubs and bars will be full...... As for the game..mainly playing players who have had no minutes or little game time so far. Gilks, Brockbank,Thomason, Darcy,Doyle will all start...........Biggest cheer of the day will be for Politic back after being out for 12 months.

Thomason should enjoy it being a son of the town

Not for me i have prior engagements for today and next Saturday.
you were right about the biggest cheer bit.
number 25 in midfield looked good.
Joel Dixon played well (as expected)
Your number 4 is a walking yellow/red card though.
overall a good match between 2 even teams, settled by a defensive mistake.
Funniest part was Tom White turning and leaving 2 Bolton players going the wrong way and Sarcevic getting upset and fouling him. White just laughed at him....

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Did you go to the match then?

Who was missing, except for Santos then? Evatt will have been livid with his team's lack of effort - certainly didn't tolerate it when he was our manager.
No as stated i never attended........Our opening game against Mk Dons will proberbly see Gilks starting in Goal
Johnston and Santos at centre backs
Sheehan, Sarcevic in midfield Amaechi/Bakayoko up front with Doyle who like Declan John is not yet match fit.
So thats 7 who did not start and 2 that only featured for the first time this pre season

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
No as stated i never attended........Our opening game against Mk Dons will proberbly see Gilks starting in Goal
Johnston and Santos at centre backs
Sheehan, Sarcevic in midfield Amaechi/Bakayoko up front with Doyle who like Declan John is not yet match fit.
So thats 7 who did not start and 2 that only featured for the first time this pre season
I'd be very surprised if Dixon doesn't start your first league match - Evatt rates him very highly.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
you were right about the biggest cheer bit.
number 25 in midfield looked good.
Joel Dixon played well (as expected)
Your number 4 is a walking yellow/red card though.
overall a good match between 2 even teams, settled by a defensive mistake.
Funniest part was Tom White turning and leaving 2 Bolton players going the wrong way and Sarcevic getting upset and fouling him. White just laughed at him....
Think you are winding me up if you did not know number 25 is Barrow born George Thomason
Number 4 MJ Williams is quality he wins the ball back and is comfortable on the ball
Seems like you had the best of the game

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I'd be very surprised if Dixon doesn't start your first league match - Evatt rates him very highly.
Think Gilkes had a minor knee op this summer so you may be right.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Think you are winding me up if you did not know number 25 is Barrow born George Thomason
Number 4 MJ Williams is quality he wins the ball back and is comfortable on the ball
Seems like you had the best of the game
thought 25 might have been him - he looked your best player in the starting 11.
Williams was one of 2 players booked - perhaps he's not 100% match fit yet.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
thought 25 might have been him - he looked your best player in the starting 11.
Williams was one of 2 players booked - perhaps he's not 100% match fit yet.
was not at the game Williams has been praised by Evatt nearly every game...Played every game since we signed him in January, may have had a off day

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
was not at the game Williams has been praised by Evatt nearly every game...Played every game since we signed him in January, may have had a off day
he was the sort of player that you hate if he's in the other team - but most fans want a similar player in their own team.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
It's pre season and it doesn't really mean a lot, but we've now lost back to back to Non League North teams. if anything it might highlight we need to spend some money and get bodies in.
Challinor walked out at full time and didn't talk to the players just got in his motor and buggered off.

You do get the feeling he's feeding off the scrapheap in terms of players. As it stands we are weaker than last season. None of the signings so far look like they'll improve us.

Whether it's budget, lack of prep time or play off hangover. The vibes aren't good.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
We beat Warrington 1-0, Mani Dieseruvwe scoring from the penalty spot after MacManaman was tripped. A decent performance, but it is clear we are still lacking a centre forward, something that will hopefully be addressed in the next few days.
Agreed. Rovers were easy on the eye and played some decent football. Warrington had the best effort from open play, a one on one saved by Murphy, while penalty winner aside, we barely tested their triallist keeper.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Challinor walked out at full time and didn't talk to the players just got in his motor and buggered off.

You do get the feeling he's feeding off the scrapheap in terms of players. As it stands we are weaker than last season. None of the signings so far look like they'll improve us.

Whether it's budget, lack of prep time or play off hangover. The vibes aren't good.

We're still trialling young strikers two weeks before we kick off, aye it looks like we'll have a frontline of Olomola and Cullen but they're both about 5ft5, feel like we need a big lad, or someone who can put himself about a bit upfront.

It sounds like we gift wrapped all four goals yesterday, DC wanted a reaction after losing to Spennymoor and was fuming after that game, he must've been apocalyptic at full time, hopefully he just needed to cool off after such a dog shit display and speaking to the media would've been a pointless endeavour? I dunno, it's very weird though.

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
he was the sort of player that you hate if he's in the other team - but most fans want a similar player in their own team.
Based on his two years with Dale, here's a summary of MJW.
Pros: reads the game well, big and can win headers, uses the ball well (normally plays it short, but can do long crossfield passes to a winger very well)
Cons: lack of pace, turning circle of a small oil tanker, hence picks up bookings for late tackles.

Good player at lower L1/upper L2 level. His lack of pace may cost him his place with Bolton if they go up (I fancy them to make the playoffs)

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
We lost 1-0 to Weymouth. The club to make a decision on Anthony Grant and McKirdy this week. I suspect both will be offered deals. McKirdy has looked very bright.

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
The three Trialists who played in the win at Fylde have been identified as
GK - Jake Turner (ex Bolton youth/Newcastle youth/Morecambe loanee)
RB - Donald Love (ex Sunderland, Shrewsbury - born in Rochdale)
CB - Max Taylor (Ex Man Utd youth)

Sestonpoolie

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
We're still trialling young strikers two weeks before we kick off, aye it looks like we'll have a frontline of Olomola and Cullen but they're both about 5ft5, feel like we need a big lad, or someone who can put himself about a bit upfront.

It sounds like we gift wrapped all four goals yesterday, DC wanted a reaction after losing to Spennymoor and was fuming after that game, he must've been apocalyptic at full time, hopefully he just needed to cool off after such a dog shit display and speaking to the media would've been a pointless endeavour? I dunno, it's very weird though.
Just watched the lowlights & we gifted them all four goals,the second & fourth being particularly embarrassing.
I can see why DC was seething & him driving off,still not speaking to the press ,is very concerning.
I’ve just got a gut feeling & god I hope I’m wrong,that he may call it a day.
Something just doesn’t seem right.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Just watched the lowlights & we gifted them all four goals,the second & fourth being particularly embarrassing.
I can see why DC was seething & him driving off,still not speaking to the press ,is very concerning.

This is Pools so anything is possible but I can't see him chucking his first chance at EFL management away over a pre season friendly, I'd like to think he was just immensely pissed off and maybe even a bit embarrassed to have to front up to the media after another poor showing from his players, he'll have to speak to them at some point and it's gonna be brought up at the first opportunity so he should've just fronted up there and then.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Well, Crawley won 0-3 at East Grinstead with mostly fringe players. I laid a wildflower meadow .

Trialist, who was said to be, Alex Battle scored our third goal and Jordan Maguire-Drew was also said to be trialing.

Battle has scored 4 goals in our pre season games so that should earn him a contract.

Maguire-Drew was on trial at Southend so I'm presuming that didn't work out for him. I wouldn't mind him being here but there again if he wasn't I wouldn't count it as a disaster.

No mention of Josh Wright.

Casey

Sestonpoolie

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Well, Crawley won 0-3 at East Grinstead with mostly fringe players. I laid a wildflower meadow .

Trialist, who was said to be, Alex Battle scored our third goal and Jordan Maguire-Drew was also said to be trialing.

Battle has scored 4 goals in our pre season games so that should earn him a contract.

Maguire-Drew was on trial at Southend so I'm presuming that didn't work out for him. I wouldn't mind him being here but there again if he wasn't I wouldn't count it as a disaster.

No mention of Josh Wright.

Casey
East Grinstead,what a lovely name for a town.

RiftHouseLad

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
This is Pools so anything is possible but I can't see him chucking his first chance at EFL management away over a pre season friendly, I'd like to think he was just immensely pissed off and maybe even a bit embarrassed to have to front up to the media after another poor showing from his players, he'll have to speak to them at some point and it's gonna be brought up at the first opportunity so he should've just fronted up there and then.
what he wants to say is not for public, i would think.
think Raj is going to have to put his money where his mouth is,
the manager needs his full support NOW not later.

its a good job there are some really poor squads in Div2.

Its now time for the captain to step up, Think Donaldson would
of had a couple up against the wall.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
West Grinstead is about 30 miles away so technically Crawley, Horsham and about 100,000 other people could be living in Grinstead.

The place is actually famous as the home of the Guinea Pig club. Where WW2 pilots received pioneering plastic surgery after being burned.

Casey

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Just watched an interview with Asst. Manager Lee Bradbury regarding yesterday's game.

He praised Alex Battle and Joe Lynch by name which is odd for trialists. I always thought the clubs and players wanted the names kept quite to save embarrassment if they didn't choose to stay or the club didn't offer a contract.

He also said that another centre half trialist was " Outstanding" . No idea who though.

Casey

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Just watched an interview with Asst. Manager Lee Bradbury regarding yesterday's game.

He praised Alex Battle and Joe Lynch by name which is odd for trialists. I always thought the clubs and players wanted the names kept quite to save embarrassment if they didn't choose to stay or the club didn't offer a contract.

He also said that another centre half trialist was " Outstanding" . No idea who though.

Casey

If they're comfortable naming names then you'd have to think they've already signed a contract with you and are having to hang fire on officially announcing until their previous contracts have expired or their new one with yourselves have started?

I know we've 'signed' Mark Cullen, but he keeps being referred to as 'trialist' for this reason.

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
If they're comfortable naming names then you'd have to think they've already signed a contract with you and are having to hang fire on officially announcing until their previous contracts have expired or their new one with yourselves have started?

I know we've 'signed' Mark Cullen, but he keeps being referred to as 'trialist' for this reason.
Possibly a similar situation to us with Clayton Donaldson ‘signing’ for York weeks ago (including doing all their new shirt promo), when in fact he officially joins on 1st August meaning he can claim an extra months wage from us because he’s not technically signed up with anyone yet since his release here.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Lots of stuff I'm hearing about behind the scenes all not being well but I'm willing to give Raj a crack of the whip (what's left of it is pretty short though like). There's apparently not been much help or support to anyone on the payroll since we went up.

what he wants to say is not for public, i would think.
think Raj is going to have to put his money where his mouth is,
the manager needs his full support NOW not later.

its a good job there are some really poor squads in Div2.

Its now time for the captain to step up, Think Donaldson would
of had a couple up against the wall.
Maybe there are some poor squads about, I dunno, I've hardly followed L2 since we dropped out but I'd wager ours is one of or the weakest.

As it stands what we have would struggle to finish top 7 or even top 10 in the Conference.

It's probably too late to get anyone better in. If we can somehow not be too far adrift then in Jan the alarm bells might ring and we can actually sign some proven league standard players.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Indeed it is, and as Creepy mentions there is also a West Grinstead which is little more than a hamlet about a mile from the equally lovely Partridge Green...there is far more to West Sussex than Worthing and Bognor Regis.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
We should be playing Swansea on Wednesday evening, however they called off a game against the Gas on Saturday due to an outbreak of COVID in their first team bubble...half expecting this game to be cancelled, hope the club take the right decision on this, don't want to risk an outbreak of the virus in our squad with pre-season preparations so well advanced.

RiftHouseLad

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Lots of stuff I'm hearing about behind the scenes all not being well but I'm willing to give Raj a crack of the whip (what's left of it is pretty short though like). There's apparently not been much help or support to anyone on the payroll since we went up.

Maybe there are some poor squads about, I dunno, I've hardly followed L2 since we dropped out but I'd wager ours is one of or the weakest.

As it stands what we have would struggle to finish top 7 or even top 10 in the Conference.

It's probably too late to get anyone better in. If we can somehow not be too far adrift then in Jan the alarm bells might ring and we can actually sign some proven league standard players.
Its a funny ole game, Good job we don,t play on paper.
Think its for the best for problems to surface now rather
Than Aug 7th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!