Predictions 2021/22

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Oh yeah I remember Ian Holloway banging on about how other clubs were being irresponsible in preparing for a season that might not happen. Any media outlet that gets him on as a supposed canny old expert in lower league football needs their head checked after that.

Did well with Blackpool, but then seems to have lived off his Match of the Day interviews for a decade. Also seems like a really thick bloke whenever he's interviewed.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
I think we’re probably missing a reliable goal scorer, seems as if we’ll be a lot more pacy and creative this year but whether someone can stick the chances away or the goals can be spread out, who knows.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Given the freedom to have as many players as possible Micky Mellon would have a squad of about 35 players looking back over his managerial career so he obviously wouldn't be happy with only having 23 currently. I personally have far less experience of managing a team than him and do not question his views on that basis.
The owners of the club also have far more experience running a football club than me so its only fair that i give them some leeway for turning a dying club into one that is thriving off the field.
We are in a far better situation than most clubs because we are run properly and do not throw money around like confetti.
If a season of building is the price for having a strong football club that still exists in 25 or 50 years then thats a fair cost in my eyes.
Last season 3 of the 4 promoted clubs did not throw money at it or have huge squads, they had solid squads.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Bristol Rovers, Tranmere, Vale and Salford will be there abouts.

I think Orient have acquired some decent additions, but as I alluded to in another thread, I’m not sure about their attacking options. If they can address this area, they’ll be my dark horse.

As mentioned, we’re entering the season with Andy Cook and Lee Angol as our only strikers. We’re still in the market for a number ten, so depending on who we bring in, it could end up defining our season. I’m not overly concerned at the minute, because we have a number of attacking-wide options available.

I expect us to be fighting for automatic promotion.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Given the freedom to have as many players as possible Micky Mellon would have a squad of about 35 players looking back over his managerial career so he obviously wouldn't be happy with only having 23 currently. I personally have far less experience of managing a team than him and do not question his views on that basis.
The owners of the club also have far more experience running a football club than me so its only fair that i give them some leeway for turning a dying club into one that is thriving off the field.
We are in a far better situation than most clubs because we are run properly and do not throw money around like confetti.
If a season of building is the price for having a strong football club that still exists in 25 or 50 years then thats a fair cost in my eyes.
Last season 3 of the 4 promoted clubs did not throw money at it or have huge squads, they had solid squads.

Last edited:

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Right i have ignored you all pre season, but you cannot let it go
it is all relative. Which is the better run club Bolton turn over 10m wages 7m or Morecambe turnover 2m wages 3m
How much money did Morecambe lose last season.

T.A

Reaction score
Supports
Berry
I think we’re probably missing a reliable goal scorer, seems as if we’ll be a lot more pacy and creative this year but whether someone can stick the chances away or the goals can be spread out, who knows.
There are a lot of clubs in a similar position tbf. Tranmere, Bradford, Orient + others. All seem sound in defence and midfield but seem to be missing that goalscorer.

I think Mansfield is a good shout if Johnson scores likes he did last season for Orient. Clough is a good manager so I expect them to do well.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
A

A hell of a lot less than £3•5m.
While we are on the subject of wages where do you get those figures from. Last season there was a wage cap for half of the season and minimum income. You state that Bolton had a £10m turnover and £7m in wages and Morecambe had a £2m turnover and £3m in wages. £5•5m over the wage cap hardly strikes me as well run, never mind another club paying double it considering they struggled to get 4 figure crowds on occasions pre 2020.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I thought about and if pushed might tip you for playoffs but wasn't pushed so remained on the fence since I was unsure if you were strengthening much or if you were starting to fall away after so many nearly seasons. At this point Exeter for playoffs has almost become a default prediction and this season doesn't seem like one for that kind of prediction.

Mansfield, are still highly fancied by the bookies I notice. Not really sure why though, when Radford throws his money about they struggle, so now he's not doing that any more but I'm unsure why they would still be considered serious challengers, unless someone knows something I don't.

Data wise Clough turned us in and around a top seven side, and that was with two strikers in the entire club and neither could find the onion bag, I’m guessing you didn’t know that.

Money isn’t being thrown about like it used to but we are clearly still competitive considering some of the signings, I’m wary to predict anything but atleast this time we have a proven manager. It’s still 8/9 players to come in and settle though, I expect improvement this season but I’m not sure how much!

Simpo

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Rule of thumb with Oldham is predict 17th, and you won't be far wrong.

1627138887677.png

T.A

Reaction score
Supports
Berry
Winning 15 games, scoring 72 goals and then finishing 18th is an impressive achievement tbh.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Oh yeah I remember Ian Holloway banging on about how other clubs were being irresponsible in preparing for a season that might not happen. Any media outlet that gets him on as a supposed canny old expert in lower league football needs their head checked after that.
Much as I despise that arsehole for what he did to our club, I was also pretty certain at the start of last season that the season would at some point be cut short and voided too.

Simpo

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Winning 15 games, scoring 72 goals and then finishing 18th is an impressive achievement tbh.
Scored 31 goals all season in 16/17, and finished 17th *shrug*

Never trust an Oldham team

SELatic

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
We finished tenth three seasons in a row back in the Conference...which I thought was pretty consistent...but it pales into insignificance compared to Oldham's record.
I wouldn’t mind consistent top 10 finishes! It’s the consistent dirge we’re served up every year that’s soul destroying

Sydney Posse

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
I think Bradford will be up there. Not convinced with Bristol Rovers, think they will be affected by managerial hoo haa and were poor last season. Salford are always one of the favourites but never seem to manage it. Maybe Tranmere, Cheltenham, Orient and Walsall to be there or thereabouts. If we hold onto our key players before the window closes we should be up there, but if we lose Randall, Jay and Key all bets are off

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
I think Bradford will be up there. Not convinced with Bristol Rovers, think they will be affected by managerial hoo haa and were poor last season. Salford are always one of the favourites but never seem to manage it. Maybe Tranmere, Cheltenham, Orient and Walsall to be there or thereabouts. If we hold onto our key players before the window closes we should be up there, but if we lose Randall, Jay and Key all bets are off
i'm pretty sure Cheltenham won't be in the top 24 places in League 2 this season.....

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Still nowhere near getting a squad together. Had 9 triallists playing yesterday at Weymouth! None of them looked great, apparently. We’re deciding on Anthony Grant and McKirdy this week - no brainers for me.

I think we’ll have a first XI similar in quality to the title winning side - minus Doyle and Yates. If we’re going to play fanny, possession football we have to have someone capable of sticking the chances away. The big lump option looks a non starter and relying on some young loanee is chancy. At the moment our only striker is a first year professional, Harry Parsons.

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
I think it's hard to look past Bradford considering the money they're spending and the manager that they've got. FGR, Exeter and Newport will probably be around the play-offs like they always seem to be. Can see Orient doing well this year as well.

We're basically nailed on for relegation barring a miracle string of signings before the season starts. I think Hartlepool, Swindon and Rochdale will be down there fighting for that second relegation spot.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
1. Bradford
2. Exeter
3. Tranmere
--------------------------------
4. Bristol Rovers
5. Salford
6. Leyton Orient
7. Mansfield
-----------------------------------
8. Northampton
9. Port Vale
10. Newport
11. Colchester
12. Rochdale
13. Forest Green
14. Carlisle
15. Walsall
16 Barrow
17. Swindon
18. Stevenage
19. Hartlepool
20. Harrogate
21. Crawley
22. Oldham
--------------------------------
23. Sutton
24. Scunthorpe

BogDaddyO

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
A lot of people seem to be going hard in on Bradford - got to be honest, I'm far from convinced. Adams did well at Morecambe, but I still don't particularly rate him as a manager, sets up to be hard to beat but I'm so pleased he's not down the Orient as its really tedious stuff. They've made a few good signings, but Angol has never had a consistently good season in his career, talented player but his attitude is beyond awful, I can't see him staying in good spirits under Adams in a cold Bradford winter either. Cook is decent, but if either one gets injured there's no way they finish top.
Same for Brovers, rock bottom last time out, but I don't really know many of their team so can't really comment, but pleased to have the away day back, will be surprised if their tp 3 material though.
$alford was unfortunately be up there, as will Mansfield and potentially Walsall. Whilst the Orient are far from the finished article there's no reason why we can't challenge for top 3 with the defense/midfield we have - add a quality winger and a target man into the mix and we could be champions (this is all on paper of course).
Expect Vale to be right up there, though they do love bombing mid season.
Scunthorpe look in all sorts of trouble, but I've never liked them for luckily beating us in the 99 play off final and for that horrible cheaty goal in L1 so they can go down - think Pools will struggle without Oates as well.
Hopefully FGR struggle, never liked them either, and not really a league side and they still boast perennial cheat and general nasty piece of work Ebou Adams, so I wish them the worst.

If I had to call it:

Top 3: $alford, Vale, Orient
Play Offs: Bradford, Rochdale, Exeter, Brovers.

To drop: Pools, Scunny.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I think it's hard to look past Bradford considering the money they're spending and the manager that they've got. FGR, Exeter and Newport will probably be around the play-offs like they always seem to be. Can see Orient doing well this year as well.

We're basically nailed on for relegation barring a miracle string of signings before the season starts. I think Hartlepool, Swindon and Rochdale will be down there fighting for that second relegation spot.
What money we have spent?

We are the same as everyone else recruiting out of contract players .

We have been turned down by 3 strikers this summer due to not being able to compete salary wise.

Very pleased with getting Derek Adams on board who seems to have the knack of getting the very best out of players and has got every club he has been at previously promoted.

But moneybags we aint!

Reactions: loz

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
What money we have spent?

We are the same as everyone else recruiting out of contract players .

We have been turned down by 3 strikers this summer due to not being able to compete salary wise.

Very pleased with getting Derek Adams on board who seems to have the knack of getting the very best out of players and has got every club he has been at previously promoted.

But moneybags we aint!
Well you brought in two players we couldn't afford to keep and they were two of our higher earners. I would imagine Andy Cook and Oscar Threlkeld are on a fair bit considering they came from Mansfield and Salford.

You paid compensation for a manager, something most clubs in this division can't afford to do.

I would guess you've probably spent the most this summer out of L2 clubs, maybe Port Vale just because of how many experienced players they seem to have brought in.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Crawley should be safe.

Our back five look very solid but out midfield still looks porous defensively (no matter how good your centre backs are having people running unchallenged at them will always cost goals).

Going forwards I still think we need a back to goal striker but Nadesan will give defenses kittens with balls over the top and Nichols will score and create about 15 goals. With Sam Matthews and Jack Payne creating too we should be mid tablish.

Like the look of Bradford and Orient and I predict Swindon will have a poor start but come good in the second half of the season a la Bolton.

Gas look to have a circus going on (Barton's two court cases) which may distract them and Northampton look good but not promotion good. Exeter always seem to do well and if Port Vale can put there beginning and end of the seasons runs together they're be right up there. Then there's Mansfield, Salford, Walsall, Rochdale, Newport and Colchester....sod me its going to be a struggle this season.

Bradford
Orient
Vale
Swindon
Salford
Mansfield
Walsall

Dark horses Stevanage.

The doom out of Scunthorpe depresses me. It must be horrendous for their fans and Hartlepool need to get their skates on with player acquisition or they could be in trouble.

Casey

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
A lot of people seem to be going hard in on Bradford - got to be honest, I'm far from convinced. Adams did well at Morecambe, but I still don't particularly rate him as a manager, sets up to be hard to beat but I'm so pleased he's not down the Orient as its really tedious stuff. They've made a few good signings, but Angol has never had a consistently good season in his career, talented player but his attitude is beyond awful, I can't see him staying in good spirits under Adams in a cold Bradford winter either. Cook is decent, but if either one gets injured there's no way they finish top.
Same for Brovers, rock bottom last time out, but I don't really know many of their team so can't really comment, but pleased to have the away day back, will be surprised if their tp 3 material though.
$alford was unfortunately be up there, as will Mansfield and potentially Walsall. Whilst the Orient are far from the finished article there's no reason why we can't challenge for top 3 with the defense/midfield we have - add a quality winger and a target man into the mix and we could be champions (this is all on paper of course).
Expect Vale to be right up there, though they do love bombing mid season.
Scunthorpe look in all sorts of trouble, but I've never liked them for luckily beating us in the 99 play off final and for that horrible cheaty goal in L1 so they can go down - think Pools will struggle without Oates as well.
Hopefully FGR struggle, never liked them either, and not really a league side and they still boast perennial cheat and general nasty piece of work Ebou Adams, so I wish them the worst.

If I had to call it:

Top 3: $alford, Vale, Orient
Play Offs: Bradford, Rochdale, Exeter, Brovers.

To drop: Pools, Scunny.
Jacketts style of play isn’t very different from Adams’ so I wouldn’t get to excited if you’re after exciting football, he has success but seems to outstay his welcome after a while especially at Pompey and Wolves. This level isn’t particularly about entertainment anyway pragmatic managers usually have success as we did with Parkinson last time we went up.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
We've signed some good defensive players this summer - But in terms of the strikers it seems we're looking to throw some money at getting someone in to score the goals for us. Kabongo Tshimanga & Alfie May were bid for by us earlier in the summer, but nothing seems to have come of it so far.

Having lost our two top scorers last season to fellow League Two sides, I think our owners want to show intent by spending money on a proven striker.

In terms of everyone else. I expect Bradford, Salford, Port Vale, Mansfield & Newport to be in the promotion hunt. Salford have made two impressive signings in Liam Shepherd and Conor McAleney.

Bristol Rovers now have a huge question mark above them due to Bartons circumstances.

As it stands I expect Scunthorpe, Hartlepool and Sutton to struggle.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
A

A hell of a lot less than £3•5m.
The 3.5 was not last year but the previous year when we docked 12 points relegated etc etc
This included some charges paying off on parcels of land and the first effects of covid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!