Promotions/Relegations up and down the pyramid

Silver Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Maidstone United
This thread is terrific.

For us it's simple, a combination of three points gained by us or three points dropped by Hendon gives us the title. Looks like a thousand or so Stones will be making the trip to Dulwich on Saturday to see the possible clincher against our BFFs from Champion Hill.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
This thread is terrific.

For us it's simple, a combination of three points gained by us or three points dropped by Hendon gives us the title. Looks like a thousand or so Stones will be making the trip to Dulwich on Saturday to see the possible clincher against our BFFs from Champion Hill.

Strictly speaking, it's 4, but that's neither here nor there, the GD is big enough in practice to be like the extra point. Having looked though, you must be one of the league leaders with the smallest GD!

From a personal perspective it's a shame that you guys are going to pip Hendon, I'd like them to make it in the playoffs at least. Might even make it to one of their games. They were very friendly when we visited and we had a great game against them in the FA Cup. It's nothing against you lot, who I am neutral to positive on - I'm just more positive on Hendon after our experience there.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
What level are Guernsey at now?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
According to the BBC - 3 go down from the conference North (or Bananarama North or whatever its going to be called) but only 2 go down from the conference south. Am i to assume that's just the BBC being crap as usual, or have the leagues been reformatted or something?

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
According to the BBC - 3 go down from the conference North (or Bananarama North or whatever its going to be called) but only 2 go down from the conference south. Am i to assume that's just the BBC being crap as usual, or have the leagues been reformatted or something?
Yes

Andy Harrier

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
I'm not certain off the top of my head, but if right,I guess it would be because of Salisbury's expulsion from the South before the season started so they had one less team.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I'm not certain off the top of my head, but if right,I guess it would be because of Salisbury's expulsion from the South before the season started so they had one less team.

Ah.

Good old Salisbury, how many times have they done that now!?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Ah Yes. Id forgotten about Salisbury. Yes thats correct then. Apologies

You guys hopeful of stopping up, looking a little dicey?

Sorry we can't have the derby next season, we're hoping to go back to more traditional rivals like Notts Co next season :p

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
You guys hopeful of stopping up, looking a little dicey?

Sorry we can't have the derby next season, we're hoping to go back to more traditional rivals like Notts Co next season :p
Haha! Flattered that you even refer to us as your "rival" ;)

Personally in my hearts of hearts I think we will fall agonisingly short and go down on goal difference. Bloody hoping I am proved wrong though.

You coming tomorrow?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Haha! Flattered that you even refer to us as your "rival" ;)

Personally in my hearts of hearts I think we will fall agonisingly short and go down on goal difference. Bloody hoping I am proved wrong though.

You coming tomorrow?

Where to?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
The Impact Arena? Its pay what you want day. You can get in for as little as 1p. That is of course if your not making the trip to Cambridge?

Ah. Hope you get a decent attendance out of it and put in a good showing, you need to.

I won't be going to alfreton or Cambridge actually, saving pennies for the home game against portsmouth next week and the final day fancy dress at accrington.

You'll win, am sure of it

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Thanks all for the kind words, and apologies for the mistakes that keep cropping up! I'm getting better at understanding where these are coming in from. Some are me just being an idiot!

I did this because I wanted this information and it wasn't readily available elsewhere. It seems to have turned in to quite the commitment to keep up! Still, not long to go now anyway until most of these are decided...

Things that happened midweek:
New Mills Relegated - I wrote Padiham, the already relegated side when I meant Radcliffe Borough. They won. Gap is 7 with 2 to play (NPLD1N)
Phoenix Sports Promoted - I seem to have missed this for some reason... Won and with it the title and promotion (SCEL)

Nice and simple with not too many league fixtures, though I did manage to mess up the preview! Let me try again for the weekend, see if I can get through this one without massive mistakes...

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Here is your weekend preview:

Step 2
Conference North
Barrow have a 3 point lead, and with 6 to play for they can seal it should the gain more points than Fylde this weekend. Relegation matters have Leamington 3 points behind the next two, both of which they need to catch. They can drop, but it's a bit more picky - they would have to get less points than one or both Brackley and Staylbridge Celtic, and/or equal or less than Colwyn Bay. Simple! (2/3 of those does it).

Conference South
With Boreham Wood not playing, having already played their penultimate game Bromley need a win to win the league. Anything else and it comes down to the last day. Relegation matters are closed up, and it's bottom club Staines who have the pleasure of sitting back and finishing the season a week early.

Step 3
Northern
FCUM look like they are trying to throw the title away! They do have a game in hand, but on current form would lose it anway. Despite this they can still win the title if they can win and both Ashton and Workington fail to do so. It's curtains for Marine if they lose and Stamford win, or Frickley gain at least a point. If Marine draw they still go down if either Stamford or Frickley win.

Southern

Midweek excitement has the title race hotting up! It can't be decided, but it's down to a single point, with 2nd placed Poole having a game in hand over leaders Corby. The two meet next Saturday too! 3rd placed Truro can mathematically claim the title, even accounting for the fixture at 5pts behind the leaders. Both Banbury and Arlesey could be relegated. Arlesey would need to get less points than Frome. Banbury must win and hope that Frome don't.

Isthmian
Maidstone need more points than Hendon to win the league. Otherwise they could win it midweek while not playing, or on the final day. The permeutations are a bit too many at the bottom with it being 4 down, and only 1 down mathematically so far! Hornchurch will be on the other end of that game in hand, the only one in the division left, this means they can still mathematically escape. If they fail to win, or the mark moves up by 2 points from it's current 47 they will be down. The same actually applies to Witham Town who are 3 points ahead without the game in hand. Harrow Borough, VCD Athletic and Peacehaven are all on 47, with the last the one losing out on GD and facing a drop as things stand. They can't be mathematically relegated of course.

Step 4
NPLD1N
GD could be key at the top if both teams hold their nerve. Both relegation spots already gone.

NPLD1S
Mickleover only fail to win the title if they lose and Leek win. Relegation is settled with 3 teams resigning, and Tividale going via ground grading.

SLD1C
All over, the bottom two just jostling for reprieve position.

SLD1S&W
Bishops Cleeve could stay up on merit only if they win and Wantage lose. They do need to cut in to a 33 GD defecit in the process but it could be done mathematically....

ILD1N

Nice and simple as leaders Needham host 2nd placed Harlow. Needham can win the title by winning the game. Any other result and it depends on the final day. Barkingside can be relegated if they lose and one of Redbridge and Romford win. Those two will likely fight over the last place on the final day, currently both on 42pts. Maldon on 45 could be drawn in still Practically will be fighting over a reprieve anyway.

ILD1S
Title gone ages ago, it's two teams on equal points straddling the relegation zone again here - Ramsgate and Hastings. Redhill trail the pair by 6 with 2 to play so could do it in theory, but a point for either ends it. Horsham obviously already gone.

Step 5:
CCL - Won't be decided this weekend. Molesey trailing by 3, with 2 games in hand - 4 to play total.

ESL - With the top 2 meeting, this league is over if Bowers & Pitsea don't overturn Haringey Borough

Mids - Basford lead by 12, Coleshill have 12 to play for. Anything but a Basford loss and Coleshill win and it's Basford promoted.

NWCL - Glossop win it with an equal or better points haul than Runcorn Linnets.

NCEL - Still won't be decided yet, keeps swinging both ways, currently the Aquaforce leading Worksop by 2. 5 and 4 games remain respectively.

Western - I don't know. One table has Slimbridge able to catch. One doesn't. Rumour has it Melksham failing ground grading so it doesn't matter, if that happens then by either table Slimbridge can still make 3rd and take promotion.

Can happens:
Barrow (P) - Gain more points that AFC Fylde
Bromlesy (P) - Win
Leamington (R) - 2/3 of: gain less points than Brackley. Less points than Staylbridge. Equal or less than Colwyn Bay.
FCUM (P) - Try again to gain for a win, and Ashton and Workington both to not win.
Maidstone (P) - More points than Hendon
Marine (R) - Lose and Stamford win or Frickley gain a point. Draw and Stamford and Frickley both win.
Banbury (R) - Only avoided with a win and Frome not doing so too.
Arlesey (R) - Less points than Frome
Hornchurch (R) - Fail to win or 2/3 of the teams on 47 don't lose (Peacehaven, VCD and Harrow Borough)
Witham (R) - Fail to win or 2/3 of the teams on 47 don't lose (Peacehaven VCD and Harrow Borough)
Mickleover (P) - Anything but a loss and Leek Town winning
Needham (P) - Win.
Bishops Cleeve (R) - Anything but a win and a Wantage loss.
Barkingside (R) - Lose and one of Romford and Redbridge win
Redhill (R) - Fail to win or one of Ramsgate or Hastings gets a point.
Haringey Borough (P) - Win.
Basford (P) - Anything but lose and Coleshill win
Glossop (P) - Equal or better points than Runcorn Linnets

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
On Sunday - A run down of what happened Saturday, and then a full list of things that are decided, and a catch up on the mess that is reprieves. I'll need to do some research on ground grading pass/fail results as it could lead to extra reprieves or even possible extra step 5 promotions.

Edit: Disclaimer - all step 5 promotions subject to confirmation via ground grading of course.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Here we go! Big weekend roundup!

Step 2:
Conference North
Barrow maintained their 2pt lead as both the top 2 won, both with 4-1 scorelines. They do however have a worse GD! Leamington are relegated with a draw against North Ferriby not enough, and Colwyn Bay dropped in to the final relegation spot as they lost and both Brackley and Stalybridge Celtic won, Colwyn now trail this pair by 2pts, and only have 1 game to play. Stalybridge do play midweek too.

Conference South
Bromley are promoted and champions
with their win while 2nd placed Boreham Wood didn't play. Relegation spots are already wrapped up meaning the only thing of note to close out the regular season will be playoff qualification and order - which does have a significant effect at this level.

Step 3:
Northern
Ashton United lost and can no longer catch FCUM, it's just Workington who can do so - they are 2pts behind and have one remaining match. FCUM play their game in hand against Stourbridge on Tuesday, and a win would hand them the title. It's worth noting at the bottom end Frickley didn't play, and now have a game in hand also to be played midweek. Stamford and Marine in the relegation spots picked up 1pt between them - for lower placed Marine to set up a tense finale. Witton Albion also lost, and could go down with another loss in theory, and that game will be against Stamford.

Southern
The top pair won, the gap is still 1pt with Corby leading and Poole having a game in hand. The outcome of that will decide what result is needed from the final game where the two face off - at Poole. 21st placed Arlesey are relegated with their loss and Frome picking up a point. Not enough to relegate 22nd placed Banbury however, they scored a massive 4-0 win which keeps their hopes of catching Frome alive mathematically. Given that there are 3 games to be played for the two of the clubs, and Banbury are currently 4 worse off in GD, it's possible practically too! Banbury can obviously be relegated with anything but a win on Tuesday.

Isthmian
Maistone have not won the title... yet. They will lay claim to it if Hendon fail to win in midweek, otherwise it's just any points, or sit back and let the GD gap be high enough with a loss - all presuming Hendon win. A draw means AFC Hornchurch are relegated having failed to beat relegation rivals Peacehaven, though they would have been down even with a win. Witham are also relegated after they lost. The draw at Hornchurch for Peacehaven wasn't great as they lost ground in their bid for surival, however there are 4 clubs on 50 points, 2 above their 48. It would be likely that a final day win would be enough to get them ahead of one of them!

Step 4:
NPLD1N
Darlo slipped up and look destined for the playoffs again, with Salford claiming a win, and extending the lead to 5 points. Darlo have a game in hand they can use to keep the title from being secured before the final day. If they win both their games they can claim the title if Salford draw or lose their final match given they already have superior GD and would have to remain that way if the results went for them. Given the reprieve situation Padiham are certain to be relegated now that they cannot catch New Mills and leave the bottom spot. Unless something happens which causes them to place one of the other clubs 22nd.

NPLD1S
Mickleover take promotion
and the title with their win at Lincoln United. The relegation situation here is a disgrace, but Kidsgrove beat Rainworth and might actually stay up on merit! (Despite talk of placing Norton 22nd and therefore bumping Kidsgrove etc up a place).

SLD1C
This division is already done, just playoffs to be decided!

SLD1S&W
Bishops Cleeve are relegated
- they take the drop after losing and failing to take advantage of Wantage losing. They will however be reprieved as will be shown later... despite only having 19 points!

ILD1N
Harlow kept the title race alive with their 90th min equaliser in the match with Needham. Exciting stuff with a 2-2 draw, but Needham must remain favourites to close out the season and win the title being 1pt ahead and ahead on GD. Harlow clearly need a win and Needham to fail to cross the line with 3pts. At the bottom the order of things all changed. Redbridge took a heavy defeat, but Barkingside won, as did Romford. Maldon only drew so are still ahead of this group, but must be getting a little twitchy. Still 2 places to be decided, but more than likely Redbridge will have one of them!

ILD1S
Redhill are relegated!
Their own loss was bad enough, but they were also condemned by both Hastings and Ramsgate winning. This puts them both ahead of East Grinstead, who must win their final game for a chance of closing the 2pt gap and staying up. Well on merit anyway.

Step 5:
CCL
Some discrepancies as to if Molesey have played 37 or 38, but both tables have them as ahead on GD, with 1 or 2 games in hand on Camberley after beating them 3-0. They won't be able to win the thing until next weekend according to the officially scheduled fixtures. The source of the discrepancy appears to be the official table has them adjusted to win a game that was abandoned and the unofficial one has it listed as a win. Either way they have the same points, and more matches than their rivals to play and will likely now take the title and promotion.

ESL
Harringey Borough promoted
after beating Bowers & Pitsea 3-2.

Mids
Basford promoted
with their 5-2 win!

NWCL
Glossop North End promoted
with a 3-0 win and now can concentrate on preparing for the Vase final

NCEL
Aquaforce held to a draw, but it extends their lead as Worksop lose! Shaw Lane Aquaforce still with a game in hand will be playing in to May to finish their season!

Western
Edited - Confirmed Melksham will NOT be promoted. Slimbridge have a slim chance of taking 3rd place and getting promotion, but it looks very unlikely.

What happened:
Bromley (P) - Conference South Champions
Leamington (R) - Dropping out of Conference North
Arlesey (R) - Saying goodbye to the Southern League Premier Division
Witham (R) - Gone from the Isthmian Premier
AFC Hornchurch (R) - Also relegated from Isthmian Premier
Mickleover Sports (P) - Win the NPLD1S
Bishops Cleeve (R) - SLD1S&W finally finished relegating sides!
Redhill (R) - Drop out of ILD1S... or do they...
Harringey Borough (P)* - Champions of the ESL
Basford United (P)* - Champions of Midland Football League
Glossop North End (P)* - Champions of NWCL

*As ever step 5 promotions all dependent on sufficient ground grading

In the next post - Full list of promotions and relegations mathematically confirmed steps 2-4, plus the reprieve status at steps 3 and 4!

Last edited:

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Status update for each transition. Note relegation are without concern for reprieves which is judged next...

Step 2 Promotion: (2 each in 1 + 1 in playoffs)
Bromley promoted from Conference South
Playoffs and Conference North champions TBC

Step 2 Relegation: (6)
Farnborough and Staines relegated from Conference South, Salisbury failed to complete the season.
Leamington and Hyde relegated from Conference North. One more TBC
No reprieves to be carried out as Salisbury removed from CS table and effectively 22nd.

Step 3 Promotions: (6, 2 each in: 1 + 1 in playoffs)
None decided yet! A few nearly there though.

Step 3 relegation: (12, 4 from each of the 3 divisions)
Belper and Trafford relegated from the North. 2 places TBC
Arlesey, Banbury and Burnham relegated from the Southern Premier
Hereford United failed to complete the season and take de-facto 24th in the Southern Premier
Hornchurch, Bury Town and Witham relegated from Isthmain. 1 TBC
1 repreive to be applied from above due to Salisbury, to the highest PPG 21st placed team from any division. No other reprieve sources.

Step 4 promotion: (12, 6 divisions giving 1+1 again)
Mickleover Sports from the NPLD1S
Kettering Town from SLD1C
Merthyr Town from SLD1S&W
Burgess Hill from ILD1S
NLPD1N and ILD1N still TBC.

Step 4 Relegations: (14, Isthmian give 3 each, Northern and Southern give 2 each).
Resigned: Norton United, Rainworth Miners Welfare, Brigg Town
Failed ground grading: Tividale
NLPD1N - Padiham and New Mills
NPLD1S - Only resigned teams
SLD1C - North Greendford United and AFC Hayes
SLD1S&W - Bishops Cleeve and Bashley
ILD1N - Burnham Ramblers (+ 2 TBC)
ILD1S - Horsham, Redhill (+1 TBC)
1 reprieve from above from Hereford to be given to clubs in Southern League divisions only.
1 reprieve from above from Salisbury to be given to any division
2 reprieves from below to be given to any division due to definite non-promoting leagues
3 reprieves to be given without confirmed mechanics due to 4 teams ejecting/leaving Northern League Division 1 South, with 1 (Brigg) assigned bottom spot
No bottom placed club should be reprieved

Step 5 promotions: (14, 1 per league - top 3 and successful application and ground grading)
CCL - TBC
ECL - No eligible candidate (reprieve to step 4 relegation)
ESL - Harringey Borough
Hellenic - Flackwell Heath
Mids - Basford United
NWCL - Glossop North End
NCEL - TBC
NL - No eligible candidate (reprieve to step 4 relegation)
SCE - Phoenix Sports
SSM - Kings Langley
Sussex - Dorking Wanderers (The only one on the list to finish behind a non-applicant).
UCL - AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Wessex - Petersfield Town
Western - None as thing stand, but not no possible candidate.
All are subject to ground gradings. Failed grading may lead to other applicants who are available, or reprieves above.

Reprieve situations:

Step 3 - 1 reprieve PPG. As it stands:
Peacehaven 1.07 (48/45)
--
Stamford 1.04 (47/45)
Arlesey 0.84 (36/43)

Step 4: 8 reprieves
As it stands there are 8 reprieves, which is also the maximum. This will go down to 7 if Slimbridge in the Western fail to get in to the top 3. If other leagues fail to promote or other clubs from above step 5 lose a club for whatever reason, then it is likely extra promotion will be done on a PPG basis.
As things stand bottom clubs are the only ones relegated. If Slimbridge remove one reprieve then the it's PPG between the 23rd placed Isthmian sides. Since both finished with full compliment of 24, it's effectively points, and will go to Redbridge (or whoever) in the ILDN1 as 23rd placed Redhill in the ILD1S cannot reach the same total of 42.

Edit - Effectively relegated sides from step 4:
NPLD1N - Padiham
NPLD1S - None/Brigg/Norton/Rainworth/Tividale
SLD1C - TBC (AFC Hayes as thing stand)
SLD1S&W - Bashley
ILD1N - Burnham Ramblers
ILD1S - TBC (Horhsam as thing stand)

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
I've investigated ground grading situations now!
(11/14 leagues which will have a candidate)
CCL - Molesey - TBC and Camberley Town - TBC
ESL - Harringey Borough - passed, Bowers and Pitsea - passed
Hellenic - Flackwell Heath - passed
Mildand - Basford United - unconfirmed but believed passed
NWCL - Glossop North End - passed
NCEL - Shaw Lane Aquaforce - TBC or Worksop Town - TBC
SCE - Phoenix Sports - passed
SSM - Kings Langley - Unconfirmed, believed passed
Sussex - Dorking Wanderers - passed
UCL - AFC Rushden & Diamonds - passed
Wessex - Petersfield Town - passed

4 leagues to be confirmed, but I believe they should all be promoting.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
I have no idea who Shaw Lane Aquaforce are but what a quality name. I hope their badge includes someone getting an enema.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
FT Tonight in the Southern Premier. Weymouth 0-0 Poole.

Thats leaves the table looking like thiis
W D L F A GD PTS
1 Poole 28 7 8 82 32 +50 91
2 Corby 28 7 8 83 45 +38 91

Final day Fixture Corby v Poole.

That promising to be some game!

LondonOrn

Reaction score
Supports
Watford
God, those places are the best part of 200 miles from each other. Still, could be worse, with Truro in the same division as Corby - so much for "regional" football!

How does the Southern League actually work? Wouldn't it be better to have a league that includes all Step 3-4 clubs from the South (so the Isthmian + SW clubs) and one representing the Midlands, in addition to the Northern Premier which to me makes the most sense out of the three?

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
I think the problem comes with the sheer number of teams in the South-East. I think a Southern Premier, Northern Premier and Midlands division could work, but the Isthmian/Southern would probably have to expand to include a Division 2. Although I'd split the regions East and West and you could solve some of the issues. You'd still get massive travelling distances though, Truro would have to face clubs like Leiston, Margate etc... but then I think they'd expect travel regardless of where they are placed.

wilsontown

Reaction score
Supports
York City
A word for Tadcaster Albion, who've been having a great season in the NCEL: they're 4 points behind the mighty Shaw Lane Aquaforce and 2 points ahead of Worksop, all three have 3 games to play and Tad play Worksop at home in the last game. So Tad could still nick it...

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
A word for Tadcaster Albion, who've been having a great season in the NCEL: they're 4 points behind the mighty Shaw Lane Aquaforce and 2 points ahead of Worksop, all three have 3 games to play and Tad play Worksop at home in the last game. So Tad could still nick it...
Its certainly gonna be an interesting end to the season in the NCEL. Workshop won 5-1 away at a very decent BartonTown Old Boys last night so they are still in it.

wilsontown

Reaction score
Supports
York City
Well, Tad got smashed 1-4 last night against Cleethorpes Town in the NCEL league cup, and looked like a team that had also played on Tuesday night. They have another match on Saturday, away to...Cleethorpes Town! Maybe the wheels are finally coming off, and I couldn't really see them catching Shaw Lane anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rednwhite socks

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!