Retained/Release Lists 2021

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Yeah it’s not good. Some of the chairman’s comments and decisions are baffling. It’s been a steady decline for the last 4 years barring the few months when Steve Bruce was here. We’re under an embargo yet again but can sign frees and loans which seems to be what most L1 sides do so I’m not overly concerned about that, it’s more being able to attract new players when the current lot are still waiting for previous months wages.
Can we have Bannan back... to free up some wages for you...He was so good for us when he came on loan.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Yeah it’s not good. Some of the chairman’s comments and decisions are baffling. It’s been a steady decline for the last 4 years barring the few months when Steve Bruce was here. We’re under an embargo yet again but can sign frees and loans which seems to be what most L1 sides do so I’m not overly concerned about that, it’s more being able to attract new players when the current lot are still waiting for previous months wages.
Darren’s very good at getting loans in but they tend to be young, quality yes but little experience. We found that to our cost this season, lots of injuries and some of the youngsters just ran out of steam.

Tea Towel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Can we have Bannan back... to free up some wages for you...He was so good for us when he came on loan.

He still is. Didn’t have the best of seasons last year, Monk played him too deep and teams sussed out if they stopped Bannan, they stopped us. Pulis reign, the less said about that the better. Under Moore he played a bit further up and had more freedom looking more like his old self. He dictated everything when we beat Cardiff 5-0.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
we got Bannon at the wrong time/manager would love to see him here but its not happening

If i could take 3/4 from lge 2 last season who would improve us they would be Matt,Jay, Gomez and the lad from Grimsby who was on loan from Fleetwood

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
It’s not entirely about budgets but they do allow you to get better quality players. Yes you have a settled team that did great in a league below this one, look at the teams that came up last season, Crewe had a settled squad that did well but ultimately found it a step up, if you add quality to what you have then yes maybe you can achieve back to back promotions.
Crewe are a good benchmark we played them 3 times at the start of last season and Crewe won all three
They were quite simply a level above us.
I dont see that now, i think we would be to strong for them now.
Top half and a couple of decent signings will do me.
In all honesty if the board want championship football they have laid the right foundations this last year
Maybe waiting another season would be the best option

Tea Towel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Crewe are a good benchmark we played them 3 times at the start of last season and Crewe won all three
In all honesty if the board want championship football they have laid the right foundations this last year

What are you basing being “”too strong” for them on? I get that you massively improved in the second half of the season but to say you’d be too strong for a team that finished comfortably mid table in the division above seems a bit of a stretch.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
What are you basing being “”too strong” for them on? I get that you massively improved in the second half of the season but to say you’d be too strong for a team that finished comfortably mid table in the division above seems a bit of a stretch.

I wouldn't be surprised if they suggest Bolton would be too strong for Man City the way this thread has gone.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
we played them three times with basically a team made up of players we discarded because they were not simply good enough August september time they were better than us in all three games yet did not hammer us.......Also around that time we was being beaten by teams from league 2 who we won the reverse fixture in the back end of the year.
Just going off that nothing more

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I wouldn't be surprised if they suggest Bolton would be too strong for Man City the way this thread has gone.
I have said top half............ And not good enough currently for the automatics
Should not ever be worried about playing the Oxfords of the world period

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
We have players who will ease into league one........A few have played over 50 games in that league and many have played higher including your ex player Kieran Lee

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
It’s not entirely about budgets but they do allow you to get better quality players. Yes you have a settled team that did great in a league below this one, look at the teams that came up last season, Crewe had a settled squad that did well but ultimately found it a step up, if you add quality to what you have then yes maybe you can achieve back to back promotions.
I also don't agree that budgets have nothing to do with it... it certainly helps! Look at the Championship and teams with tens of millions head start. I'd say though that League 1 is a lot different from League 2. L1 has been super competitive in recent seasons.

Tea Towel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
We have players who will ease into league one........A few have played over 50 games in that league and many have played higher including your ex player Kieran Lee
Don’t get me wrong, I think Bolton have got some decent players and expect you to be competitive next season but it’s a bit early to be saying you’ll be too strong for anyone when a ball hasn’t been kicked yet.

Lee is probably my favourite Wednesday player of the last 10 years, outstanding between 2012-2017 but after a couple of long injury lay offs he didn’t look anywhere near what he used to be. Glad to see he’s done well for you though, has he managed a decent run of games?

eric read

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
I have said top half............ And not good enough currently for the automatics
Should not ever be worried about playing the Oxfords of the world period

You sound like one of the deluded Sunderland fans that this league has had to get used to. They're still here, so very much having to "play the Oxfords of the world" every year.

We've played Bolton 23 times in total, over the last 53 years, and the record is 7 wins, 8 draws, and 8 losses, so you've not exactly dominated us have you!

I'll confidently predict we'll finish above you next season. Oh, and you also have to live in fucking Bolton, living the dream eh?

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Looking at your squad I struggle to see how you will too strong for the likes of us. Players like Sarcevic won’t get you towards the top of league 1. Infact looking at it I’d say you need abit more quality to just insure your not in a relegation fight. Mid table would be the highest I see this Bolton squad getting. Strikers are much more clinical up here, the gap between the two leagues I think is abit bigger than people think. I’m expecting a strong league next year, I’d be shocked if we finish as high as we did last season in truth.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
we got Bannon at the wrong time/manager would love to see him here but its not happening

If i could take 3/4 from lge 2 last season who would improve us they would be Matt,Jay, Gomez and the lad from Grimsby who was on loan from Fleetwood
I agree with those 4. All looked very good players especially Mendes-Gomes. He’ll be picked up by a championship team i’m sure. There’s a few others I’d take, like Hladky at Salford. Mullin is probably worth a punt on a free after that season but previous record not great. If he does it again this season there will be some big clubs interested. Sometimes a player and a club just fit. He may regret leaving Cambridge if he does. Manny Monthe is like a left footed Santos. But I’m not convinced they’d play well together. It would be incredibly physical but I think they both play better with an experienced head beside them.

Looking at the number of quality frees available this summer I’d be surprised if we spent a transfer fee on anyone unless it’s someone we genuinely feel we can make a profit on.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Looking at your squad I struggle to see how you will too strong for the likes of us. Players like Sarcevic won’t get you towards the top of league 1. Infact looking at it I’d say you need abit more quality to just insure your not in a relegation fight. Mid table would be the highest I see this Bolton squad getting. Strikers are much more clinical up here, the gap between the two leagues I think is abit bigger than people think. I’m expecting a strong league next year, I’d be shocked if we finish as high as we did last season in truth.
I agree mid table should be the target. Doyle has a great record in league 1 to be fair and we do have players that are experienced at this level. I think the step up from league 1 to the championship is much bigger than the league 2 to league 1 step up but there are some big teams in league 1 this season.
I think we will find it a bit easier to play football this season the way Evatt wants to play it as there are fewer sides that sit in and generally much better stadiums with bigger, better pitches. In an end to end slugfest id fancy us...against a lot of teams but we really struggle against the teams that just sit in 10 behind the ball.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Don’t get me wrong, I think Bolton have got some decent players and expect you to be competitive next season but it’s a bit early to be saying you’ll be too strong for anyone when a ball hasn’t been kicked yet.

Lee is probably my favourite Wednesday player of the last 10 years, outstanding between 2012-2017 but after a couple of long injury lay offs he didn’t look anywhere near what he used to be. Glad to see he’s done well for you though, has he managed a decent run of games?
I am far from saying we are too strong, i am saying i expect us to finish top half
Lee was brilliant in most of the games he played for us as a holding midfielder...Evatt played him higher up when Sarcevic got injured.....It just was not lee game.
Think he played 27 games for you the season before last and about 18 for us.
Evatt managed him well taking him off after 60 mins if we had midweek games

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
We had Baptiste and quite frankly he wasn’t upto League 1 and that’s 2 seasons ago.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
You sound like one of the deluded Sunderland fans that this league has had to get used to. They're still here, so very much having to "play the Oxfords of the world" every year.

We've played Bolton 23 times in total, over the last 53 years, and the record is 7 wins, 8 draws, and 8 losses, so you've not exactly dominated us have you!

I'll confidently predict we'll finish above you next season. Oh, and you also have to live in fucking Bolton, living the dream eh?
you may live in Oxford but you certainly never got educated there
So what your saying in fact is over the last 53 years we have beaten you more times than we have you have beaten us.
Not a chance Oxford will finish above us
I have said we will finish top half......What do you expect me to say we will be lucky to stay up

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Hey its about opinions and i respect yours
I agree we need more quality, but i dont see a stand out squad at this time.....Strip those loan players away and the are some bare squads in this league.
We need someone to give Doyle competition and players like that cost

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
So what your saying in fact is over the last 53 years we have beaten you more times than we have you have beaten us.
I have said we will finish top half......What do you expect me to say we will be lucky to stay up
What does the last 53 years have to do with now? If you don’t play Oxford in the first 10 games I can guarantee they will be far too good for the squad you have at present. In respect to loans every team at this level has them, its unavoidable and how good they are is the difference between top ten and lower.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
What does the last 53 years have to do with now? If you don’t play Oxford in the first 10 games I can guarantee they will be far too good for the squad you have at present. In respect to loans every team at this level has them, its unavoidable and how good they are is the difference between top ten and lower.
Not a clue it was brought up by Eric Read.....We may as well not turn up next season because teams like Oxford, Doncaster and Crewe will be too strong for us
We will see......Dont think any of you have a clue about our squad personally
Heard all this before blah, blah, blah
We are a club on the up and within a year or two we will be in the championship
Everything about this club is right at the moment...........our stay in lge 1 is temporary

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Not a clue it was brought up by Eric Read.....We may as well not turn up next season because teams like Oxford, Doncaster and Crewe will be too strong for us
Everything about this club is right at the moment...........our stay in lge 1 is temporary
My god are you 12 or needing counselling, turning up on a forum spouting your mouth off and not expecting to be challenged.

eric read

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
I stated 53 years, as that's when we first played Bolton in the League. It wasn't a random date, it takes account of all League games against you.

Looking forward to coming back to this later on in the season, as I think you're the one who hasn't a clue. You were dismissive and arrogant in reference to Oxford, so we'll see who has the last laugh pal.

eric read

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United

Says the man with seven grammatical errors in four lines of text!

Reactions: T.A

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
We had Baptiste and quite frankly he wasn’t upto League 1 and that’s 2 seasons ago.
Mate we had Baptiste several years ago in his prime and he was pants. Different player this time round for some reason. Was absolutely quality second half of the season when the team settled into the 4 at the back. He didn’t look good in the 3/5 at the back.

Sometimes it’s the right place at the right time for a player. Mullin had done nothing until this season.

Last edited:

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
My god are you 12 or needing counselling, turning up on a forum spouting your mouth off and not expecting to be challenged.
here we go.....challenge by all means

you have a view as do i

We will leave it at that

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I stated 53 years, as that's when we first played Bolton in the League. It wasn't a random date, it takes account of all League games against you.

Looking forward to coming back to this later on in the season, as I think you're the one who hasn't a clue. You were dismissive and arrogant in reference to Oxford, so we'll see who has the last laugh pal.
fair enough.......honest view

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Says the man with seven grammatical errors in four lines of text!
Some of the greatest minds in History could not read or right
your point on football is?????????????

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
here we go.....challenge by all means

you have a view as do i

We will leave it at that
I’m not saying you can’t have your views, by all means put them up, just don’t expect them not to be shot down in flames when others feel they have no substance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bantamshell
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!