Saturday 1st October 2022

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
It was one of those that was gutting fans were banned as it would have been an ace away day! Think its only about the third time we've ever beaten you and still have mares about the 3-1 loss on our previous visit when we were 3 down in 15 minutes! (Lawrie Wilson scored a stunner, signed for us and was then absolutely dross!)
I’m kinda glad fans were banned because Evatt 100% would have been sacked if we’d had fans in the stadium during the first half of that season and we wouldnt be where we are now. We were awful…basically had no players or staff or anything going into that season and the recruitment was really hit and miss because we had to bring in about 20 players. Then in January we got the likes of Dapo, Declan John and Kieran Lee got fit after signing before Xmas. We were a different team after that. It’s a huge shame we couldn’t be there for the run in the second half of the season mind!

White horse

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
The other 8 games you won? You've played 10 and named four above you haven't won, hmm.

And you have the best 20? Fuck off

So Bolton have played 10 games and not won 4 of them. So that leaves another 6 games. Out of those 6 games we have won 8 of them. That's how good we and our squad are !!

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Bit of weird set-up from Kennedy at the weekend because aside from 10 minute spells here and there (and perhaps 45 minutes at Posh?) we've not been a 3-4-3/5-4-1 kinda side this season. We've been 4-3-3.

So poor from Jackson for the penalty, he had the situation under control but tries to block the player instead of just dealing with the ball.

And poor old Roughan as well. 18 years old, makes his Ireland U21 debut in midweek and then has a right brain fart from his thrown-in for Bolton's second.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I’m kinda glad fans were banned because Evatt 100% would have been sacked if we’d had fans in the stadium during the first half of that season and we wouldnt be where we are now. We were awful…basically had no players or staff or anything going into that season and the recruitment was really hit and miss because we had to bring in about 20 players. Then in January we got the likes of Dapo, Declan John and Kieran Lee got fit after signing before Xmas. We were a different team after that. It’s a huge shame we couldn’t be there for the run in the second half of the season mind!
I was kind of pleased in a weird way that a) the season before ended and we missed the play offs, then we ballsed up the following season as bad as we did and saved the promotion for last! We have had 2 promotions in 28 years so to be behind closed doors when it happened and miss Wembley for the first time (new one) would have been gutting!

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Just seen our team news.

Anything over than a Cheltenham win would be an upset today. Marosi is out with a dislocated finger so the worst goalkeeper to ever grace League One, Harry Burgoyne is in goal. On top of this we’re without George Nurse (joins Udoh in being out for the season) and Jordan Shipley has had to pull out of the warm up as his mrs has gone into labour.

We’ve got to be the unluckiest team with injuries/circumstances in League One.

Lump on Cheltenham, should be atleast two or three nil Cheltenham.
Hope somebody saw this and made a few £££ come 5pm.

Unfortunately our season in terms of play off push is over already. Nurse & Udoh out for the season, Marosi is one of the best GK's in this division and we're now forced to play Harry Burgoyne or is about Northern Premier League standard as Marosi suffered a dislocated finger against Burton last weekend. Add to this O'Brien hasn't started a game yet so far this season as he signed from Pompey needing an operation. Then we've just managed to get Bennett back from a long term injury and Dacosta is coming back from a month out so both aren't quite sharp enough yet.

Extremely frustrating time to be a Salop fan. The summer started with a lot of optimism of an outside push for the play offs but injuries have decimated us to the point where we're having to put the youth on the bench. Such a shame as if everybody was fit I'd back us to do ok this year but now we'll be lucky to hit midtable.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Haha potential revision until 6th May*

I think on paper if everyone stays fit it will be Ipswich and Wednesday that go the distance for top 2. Like you say the top 6 is really anyones from that top 8. Could MK and Wycombe recover? Possibly but if I had to stick my neck on the line I’d go:

Ipswich
Wednesday
Plymouth
Pompey
Bolton
Derby

In that order. But it’s incredibly tough. Wouldn’t stick my mortgage on it!
Agree, too early to tell, but also agree it will probably come from those in the current top eight. Last year we got four points all season against the top six. Of those you list above we already have ten, and cannot play ourselves.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Bit of weird set-up from Kennedy at the weekend because aside from 10 minute spells here and there (and perhaps 45 minutes at Posh?) we've not been a 3-4-3/5-4-1 kinda side this season. We've been 4-3-3.

So poor from Jackson for the penalty, he had the situation under control but tries to block the player instead of just dealing with the ball.

And poor old Roughan as well. 18 years old, makes his Ireland U21 debut in midweek and then has a right brain fart from his thrown-in for Bolton's second.
Didn’t realise he was so young. Thought he’d had a decent game up to that point. That Mandroiu who came on looked really lively.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Barnsley are a dark horse, seem to be going about their business quietly.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Barnsley are a dark horse, seem to be going about their business quietly.
I dont think anyone that comes down from the Championship can be labelled as a dark horse, they just dont have many active fans on here so we dont hear much of them.
We certainly improved them by getting Luke Thomas' head right throughout last season

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
Intrigued to know what Derby fans made of Cambridge. Clearly we were just punished by a team that has quality we simply cannot and will not be able to bring into the club, but for large periods it seemed fairly even.

Another pretty “huff and puff” with no real edge performance from us which is slightly annoying, but more frustrated that at the moment it’s genuinely poor defending and abysmal individual errors (see: Zeno Rossi error today) that are costing us.

Unsure if Derby currently fit into the Pompey/Plymouth/Ipswich/Wednesday category but with a few weeks and months under Warne I’m fairly sure they’ll get there.

I watched on IPTV, so wasn't at the game, but it seemed to be similar to a number of games I've watched us away from home this season. We average nearly 65% of the ball away from home and the second most attempts on goal but we just can't seem to create really good chances or put them away.

It looked like it was going to be much of the same in the first half, with the ball being dominated and a number of half chances, but nothing clear cut. We then scored one from a mistake by your centre back who just got caught in two minds and panicked. Second half, you had more of the ball but I think it suited us and we were able to create better chances, albeit not score again until quite late on.

Cambridge really didn't get much change out of Derby, think it was 5 attempts on goal with 1 on target which I think came from a soft effort following a corner straight into the keeper's hands. 30% of Cambridge's passing went long which suited our defenders - Cashin, Chester & Davies - although not the quickest are extremely good in the air.

There was a big difference in our approach, as we played more hopeful balls than we have done all season. We looked to force the issue a little quicker although it did seem to create more of a chaotic performance on our side. However, I think that was going to be the biggest difference in Rosenior and Warne, with the former preferring to keep the ball and be risk averse - Warne looks like he just wants to force the issue and have a go. I liked our set up, 3-1-4-2, seemed to suit the players. Definite room for improvement on our end and think it was a good performance that embodied what the core philosophy of this Derby team will be going forward.

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Didn’t realise he was so young. Thought he’d had a decent game up to that point. That Mandroiu who came on looked really lively.
Only just turned 18 i think. Take out Jackson at the back, who is 28/29?, and assuming our oldest player is around 24/25? Crazy young squad.

Looking forward to see Mandriou. He's been injured since signing from Ireland in the summer, and was back in training last week for the first time.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton

feel for the kid.....Hopefully he will learn from it and have a decent career
His fuck up never cost you points though

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Our bench against Pompey;

Richard Keogh
Freddie Ladapo
Dominic Ball
Kayden Jackson
Kane Vincent-Young
Kyle Edwards
Vaclav Hladky

Lets not forget Camara and Leigh who are both out. Blows Boltons bench out the water. We then have the likes of youngster Cameron Humphreys who would be certainly be in the matchday squad for the majority of L1 sides, albeit the bench for many.

I believe Wednesday probably come close to, or could arguably match our depth. Aside from them, I don't see any other side in the league who can match us and that's what I'm hoping proves to be important in the latter stages of the season. The five sub rule also greatly benefits the likes of ourselves and Wednesday, plus to a lesser extent your Derby's, Pompeys, and granted, Bolton.
your first team have yet to blow us out the water in 3 meetings since we came back

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I agree with the general consensus that those with the biggest budgets will form the majority of the top 10. That is inevitable really. If a club can afford to pay 5 figures per week then clearly they're going to have some good players But that wasn't the point I was arguing. A few people stated on here (or intimated) that there was a vast difference in quality between the top and the bottom, but what I said is that there isn't. We're a case in point...apart from Peterborough (who played very well and we didn't), we've been beaten by the odd goal or drawn with the top teams. In fact, most of our games so far have been against teams in the current top 10, so I don't think our points haul is too bad.

The difference between the top teams in terms of budgets are 2 to 3 quality players that can produce something out of nothing (look at Saturday for example). But the general standard is not vastly different to league 2, there's still a lot of errors in general play but the gap between the top teams doesn't seem insurmountable. I suspect if we were to go up a tier there would be a much more discernible difference.

What we are currently missing in comparison to the top teams is a couple of game changers, particularly from midfield. We obviously can't go out and splash 5 figure wages at players but I feel confident that over a 2 to 3 year period and over 5 or 6 transfer windows that our management team will have found or developed these players from within and also tweaked in other areas to make us much stronger and more competitive.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
I watched on IPTV, so wasn't at the game, but it seemed to be similar to a number of games I've watched us away from home this season. We average nearly 65% of the ball away from home and the second most attempts on goal but we just can't seem to create really good chances or put them away.

It looked like it was going to be much of the same in the first half, with the ball being dominated and a number of half chances, but nothing clear cut. We then scored one from a mistake by your centre back who just got caught in two minds and panicked. Second half, you had more of the ball but I think it suited us and we were able to create better chances, albeit not score again until quite late on.

Cambridge really didn't get much change out of Derby, think it was 5 attempts on goal with 1 on target which I think came from a soft effort following a corner straight into the keeper's hands. 30% of Cambridge's passing went long which suited our defenders - Cashin, Chester & Davies - although not the quickest are extremely good in the air.

There was a big difference in our approach, as we played more hopeful balls than we have done all season. We looked to force the issue a little quicker although it did seem to create more of a chaotic performance on our side. However, I think that was going to be the biggest difference in Rosenior and Warne, with the former preferring to keep the ball and be risk averse - Warne looks like he just wants to force the issue and have a go. I liked our set up, 3-1-4-2, seemed to suit the players. Definite room for improvement on our end and think it was a good performance that embodied what the core philosophy of this Derby team will be going forward.
Have you figured out how to use Hourihane yet? When you signed him I assumed you had signed the one player that could challenge Bannon as best midfielder in the league. When I saw him play I was genuinely shocked how bang average he was. And also he seemed unfit, and was blowing at the end.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
your first team have yet to blow us out the water in 3 meetings since we came back
Is that your measurement for how strong the depth of a team is. If so, point of order we have scored six goals, you none, and taken nine points and you none. Don’t think that makes our bench stronger though.

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Only just turned 18 i think. Take out Jackson at the back, who is 28/29?, and assuming our oldest player is around 24/25? Crazy young squad.

Looking forward to see Mandriou. He's been injured since signing from Ireland in the summer, and was back in training last week for the first time.
In answer to my post earlier, starting 11 on Saturday had an average age of 23. Jackson oldest at 28, followed by Virtue in midfield at 26.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Is that your measurement for how strong the depth of a team is. If so, point of order we have scored six goals, you none, and taken nine points and you none. Don’t think that makes our bench stronger though.
No not at al
Were you actually at Home Park? You most certainly did not batter us. Yes you had chances and Coops made one of his regular saves, and yes you might on another day have got a draw. But battering, behave. We scored 2 you scored none. Stop being a historical revisionist. I came away from that game not thinking blimey we got away with one there, rather I thought, yup we were more clinical and deserved the three points. It was a good game. You are a good side. We are a good side. We won. End of.
Not a problem and yes you deserved the win.....just pointing out if you dont score you cannot win

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
No you said you battered us. You did not.
then i stand corrected....though 59 % possession to 41% to you 4 shots each on target and 10 corners to your two tells me another day we come away with the victory

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Our bench against Pompey;

Richard Keogh
Freddie Ladapo
Dominic Ball
Kayden Jackson
Kane Vincent-Young
Kyle Edwards
Vaclav Hladky

Lets not forget Camara and Leigh who are both out. Blows Boltons bench out the water. We then have the likes of youngster Cameron Humphreys who would be certainly be in the matchday squad for the majority of L1 sides, albeit the bench for many.

I believe Wednesday probably come close to, or could arguably match our depth. Aside from them, I don't see any other side in the league who can match us and that's what I'm hoping proves to be important in the latter stages of the season. The five sub rule also greatly benefits the likes of ourselves and Wednesday, plus to a lesser extent your Derby's, Pompeys, and granted, Bolton.
Not having it.....Look again at our bench then look at yours.............Maybe Keogh would get on our bench the rest not a chance

Put any player you want......as will i then look at there cv

SMH

Reaction score
Supports
Wigan
The top eight as it is now will remain the top eight under the end of the season. Ipswich will win the league. Might as well just simulate the rest of the top eight positions and come back in May.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Hope somebody saw this and made a few £££ come 5pm.

Unfortunately our season in terms of play off push is over already. Nurse & Udoh out for the season, Marosi is one of the best GK's in this division and we're now forced to play Harry Burgoyne or is about Northern Premier League standard as Marosi suffered a dislocated finger against Burton last weekend. Add to this O'Brien hasn't started a game yet so far this season as he signed from Pompey needing an operation. Then we've just managed to get Bennett back from a long term injury and Dacosta is coming back from a month out so both aren't quite sharp enough yet.

Extremely frustrating time to be a Salop fan. The summer started with a lot of optimism of an outside push for the play offs but injuries have decimated us to the point where we're having to put the youth on the bench. Such a shame as if everybody was fit I'd back us to do ok this year but now we'll be lucky to hit midtable.
With all due respect to Shrewsbury, were you ever really likely to have a ‘playoff push’. Surely a mid table season is still a decent one for you

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Not having it.....Look again at our bench then look at yours.............Maybe Keogh would get on our bench the rest not a chance

Put any player you want......as will i then look at there cv
Just to confirm, you’re saying Freddie Ladapo and Dominic Ball wouldn’t make the bench at Bolton? Surely that’s not what you’ve just suggested??

Dominic Ball - Played 90 games in the last three seasons for QPR in the Championship and a huge majority of their fanbase were disappointed to see him go. If he hadn’t started the season with an injury, he’d be a regular starter for almost every team in this league, let alone making the bloody subs bench.

Freddie Ladapo - One of the top strikers in the division four years ago for Plymouth (and was their top scorer that season with 18 goals). Left for Rotherham for their record transfer fee and played 104 times in the 3 years since with 1 of those being in the Championship. May well have been playing Championship football with them now had we not come along and have him put in a transfer request. He’s good enough to start for Bolton let alone make your bench.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Just to confirm, you’re saying Freddie Ladapo and Dominic Ball wouldn’t make the bench at Bolton? Surely that’s not what you’ve just suggested??

Dominic Ball - Played 90 games in the last three seasons for QPR in the Championship and a huge majority of their fanbase were disappointed to see him go. If he hadn’t started the season with an injury, he’d be a regular starter for almost every team in this league, let alone making the bloody subs bench.

Freddie Ladapo - One of the top strikers in the division four years ago for Plymouth (and was their top scorer that season with 18 goals). Left for Rotherham for their record transfer fee and played 104 times in the 3 years since with 1 of those being in the Championship. May well have been playing Championship football with them now had we not come along and have him put in a transfer request. He’s good enough to start for Bolton let alone make your bench.
These arguments are really difficult when you don’t see all the players every week but I did think Dom Ball was a cracking player at qpr. We have the likes of Josh Sheehan who is a Welsh international and he can’t even get on the bench/in the 18 atm post injury. Not saying he’s better than Dom Ball because I genuinely don’t know but he’s a really tidy player and without his knee ligament injuries I’m sure he’d be playing at least in the championship.

I have to say whenever I’ve seen Ladapo I’ve thought he was a bit meh. But I don’t see him week in week out so it’s hard to compare. We also do have 3 current international strikers in Charles, Bodvarsson and Bakayoko plus Dapo who got 17 goals last season (I think) and is currently on our bench too. So im not convinced on that one but it’s all opinions isn’t it.

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
As a neutral I'd say that Ipswich have both a better XI and squad than Bolton, quite comfortably too.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Let's face it, there are absolutely no excuses for Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday not to finish in the top two this season given their outlay and the quality of their squads compared to the rest of the division. January will be key when they are more likely to strengthen more than the rest of us.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Let's face it, there are absolutely no excuses for Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday not to finish in the top two this season given their outlay and the quality of their squads compared to the rest of the division. January will be key when they are more likely to strengthen more than the rest of us.
Outlay, I assume you're meaning wages from our point?

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Outlay, I assume you're meaning wages from our point?

Yes, correct me if I'm wrong but your lot and Ipswich must have the highest wage budget in the division? The signings you've both made are (mostly) too good for this level, too.

Like I said, no excuses for either of you.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Yes, correct me if I'm wrong but your lot and Ipswich must have the highest wage budget in the division? The signings you've both made are (mostly) too good for this level, too.

Like I said, no excuses for either of you.
Yeah that's fair, we've not paid out much in fees mind to mitigate that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!