Saturday 6th August 2022

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
For 1st time away visitors to attend match against FGR it is well worth a shufti through the relevant page on ‘Football Ground Guide’
https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-two/forest-green-rovers-the-new-lawn.html
Some of the information is out of date – the 63 bus from Stroud only now runs once an hour.
The actual maximum ground capacity is just over 4,000 with no more than 1,224 away supporters.

The view of the pitch for away fans is possibly one of the best in the EFL. They stand only yards from the touch-line with the sun on their backs. Home fans must squint to watch game on sunny days. Wonderful in good weather but awful in the cold and wet. The away stand has no roof and TNL is the highest altitude stadium in the EFL. So during winter take an extra set of thermals and a decent raincoat. Oh yes, the commentary gantry is above the away supporters so on video replays it sounds as if they always out-sing the home crowd.

There are no pubs or cafe’s near TNL, the nearest are in Nailsworth, a 15 minute walk up steep hill to ground. Within the ground it is only Vegan food on sale. Last season there was at least one very serious complaint, amongst others, about its quality. So best for fans to eat heartedly elsewhere before match. For those travelling by train to match I recommend they dine in the Five Valleys shopping centre in centre of Stroud which has 21 different eateries. Here even the Vegan option is better than at TNL.
thanks for this, I was looking at that site yesterday. We are hoping to come up on the 20th via the supporters coach. However, I would imagine more than 1200 janners will want to go, so to get our four tickets we’ll need to be sharp when they are released.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
It’s a relatively new stadium isn’t it? I’d be amazed if the EFL allowed you to be significantly below the minimum allowed especially having been a league club for some time now. There are some older grounds where the capacity is reduced (Vale being one) but I don’t think that really applies here.
The stadium opened in 2006, more than a decade before we were promoted to the Football League, so at that time we were complying with Conference regulations. The ironic thing is that the ground was apparently built with one eye on promotion to the League, although I doubt the directors ever seriously considered us having attendances over 4k on a regular basis. The attendance record was set not too long after the ground opened, for a visit by Derby in the FA Cup Third Round, but at that time attendances for league games were around 1k. The only positive was that we didn't need to make too many alterations on promotion, the main one being installation of a control room, to meet league standards.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
The stadium opened in 2006, more than a decade before we were promoted to the Football League, so at that time we were complying with Conference regulations. The ironic thing is that the ground was apparently built with one eye on promotion to the League, although I doubt the directors ever seriously considered us having attendances over 4k on a regular basis. The attendance record was set not too long after the ground opened, for a visit by Derby in the FA Cup Third Round, but at that time attendances for league games were around 1k. The only positive was that we didn't need to make too many alterations on promotion, the main one being installation of a control room, to meet league standards.
I still find it incredible that you can get away with having so few seats available for visiting fans.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
I still find it incredible that you can get away with having so few seats available for visiting fans.
That stand with seats in looks like an 18 tonne artic truck with its curtains pulled back and some deckchairs put in. It’s about as non league as it gets. Sort it out.

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
I think my view is that the only clubs in the 92 with a worse away experience than our place are probably Barrow and Bristol Rovers. The latter at least have no excuse. (Sutton is self-evidently a work in progress). The main problem is structurally there is little that can be done with the we(s)t terrace (including covering it) and subdividing any of the other stands is close to impossible, or at any rate would be excessively costly considering the plans to move out soonish.

A few changes for the better were made towards the end of last season - notably the opening of a fan zone with beer and food, just outside the turnstiles but particularly, but not only, aimed at visiting supporters.

Outside the ground, the 63 bus is supposed to be back to half-hourly again, but is notably less reliable than it used to be, with loads of cancellations. And if you don't mind a steep walk (up flights up stairs on the hillside), the George pub, towards the Newmarket segment of Nailsworth is the nearest pub to the ground, and a pretty decent choice.

We had a full turnout of away fans last time we played Argyle, I'd expect the same this year.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Barrow looks unsafe in that corner. Like something from step 4 or 5.
I’m all for promotions and going through the leagues but you need decent facilities and capacity as well. Especially at league 2 when you are playing a Bradford for example.
They manage it pretty well abroad. I’m in Greece currently and some of the lower league grounds are much better than ours - albeit with no roof.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Barrow looks unsafe in that corner. Like something from step 4 or 5.
I’m all for promotions and going through the leagues but you need decent facilities and capacity as well. Especially at league 2 when you are playing a Bradford for example.
They manage it pretty well abroad. I’m in Greece currently and some of the lower league grounds are much better than ours - albeit with no roof.
Your grounds decent (apart from our first visit!)

Salford's is one for you all to try mind... not ideal if you have a big following, same as Crewe's stand down the side with its one exit!

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
Interesting game for us at Fleetwood. I’ve got no real idea of how they’ll get on under Scott Brown. They’ll either surprise a few or it’ll be a disaster I think, no inbetween. They’ve made a few good signings to be fair, Brendan Wiredu and Callum Morton the stand outs although Wiredu isn’t proven at this level.

I missed Barnsley at home as I was at a concert in the big smoke but by all accounts we played very well and could of scored 3 or 4 and it wouldn’t of been harsh on Barnsley.

Hopefully we can be more clinical. If we have a similar amount of chances created / shots (19 last weekend) then I think we’ll win.

0-2 Argyle.
Scott Brown was pretty scathing about Fleetwood's performance at the weekend, 'we were bullied ' Defensively crap, attack wise sweet fa, but apart from that not bad. I liked his reaction and expect a massive improvement come weekend. We've all been round the block enough times watching our teams, by the end of October we should have a better idea of how the team is shaping up. Meanwhile a draw on Saturday won't be a bad result, it's the attitude out there on the pitch which counts and hopefully it will be a step in the right direction

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
Really looking forward to this one. A bloody long trek but looks like a beautiful part of the country and have heard great things about the local fans being really friendly. I wonder whether to use the park and ride and just not ride, so that I can explore the area, or whether to try local roads or car parks.
Park and Ride is a good idea. At the end of well attended matches the narrow road from outside ground to bottom of hill gets fully gridlocked. Last time it took me over an hour to get to travel the 1/2 mile.
Obviously this affects the buses so it might be worthwhile walking down hill and hiring a taxi to your car or even walking back to it. That way you'll be driving home while those in the Supporter's Coach are still sitting on the hill.

Another idea could be to use Park and Ride, catch bus to TNL carrying a scooter. Use it at end of game and you'd be half way home even before some of the locals enter their front door.

Last edited:

Sydney Posse

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Ben Garrity was on Paddy Pimbletts podcast not long ago and said when we played you on the last day our players were constantly in Exeters players ears telling them that Mansfield were beating FGR to get them to ease up against us. Suspect those tactics won't work this time. One of those games you'd expect both clubs will be targeting for points. I expect first goal will win it.
I’d not heard about that. I guess these things happen between players on key occasions like that. I reckon both sides will see this as an opportunity for 3 points so expecting it to be full on. Should be a decent crowd by our standards too.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Park and Ride is a good idea. At the end of well attended matches the narrow road from outside ground to bottom of hill gets fully gridlocked. Last time it took me over an hour to get to travel the 1/2 mile.
Obviously this affects the buses so it might be worthwhile walking down hill and hiring a taxi to your car or even walking back to it. That way you'll be driving home while those in the Supporter's Coach are still sitting on the hill.

Another idea could be to use Park and Ride, catch bus to TNL carrying a scooter. Use it at end of game and you'd be half way home even before some of the locals enter their front door.
Thanks for this! Sounds like Park and Ride is definitely best. It will be good to walk to and from the ground anyway, as it's a long drive!

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Fair play to the Vale players for those kind of tactics back in May. You’ve got to do what you can to get the win in those situations.

As for this Saturday, it’ll be a totally different type of game, but I still expect it to be quite close. Is Wilson still missing for Vale? I like the sound of the Massey signing and the midfielder (Ojo?) so I can see Vale being solid this season.

Blackman should start in goal for us, which will be a big boost, but if not Scott Brown will continue against his old club. I expect that Jay may come back in to team too but then Coley did himself no harm last week. If Brown and Nombe click, I can see us having a good game and getting 3 points, if not we may well lose.

I’ll go for an optimistic 2-1 win. I’ll be cheering us on while drinking a nice beer or two on the island of Gozo, regardless :woo:

nelsonpfc

Reaction score
Supports
Pompey
Big bit for Pompey this Saturday. First time in almost 10 years we've been able to fully open one of our stands due to it failing health and safety inspection so it was running at 2/3rd capacity. Hopefully a big crowd and alot of noise

Daviddcfc

DLF
Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
We play charlton . Not Bobby.

Last time we played these CRYSTAL PALACE wannabeeees was when ??

Not sure ...

I do remember this club sacking Curbishley when he'd kept them in the PREM for so long lol lol lol

This club and FANBASE is desperate to link up with the other LONDON clubs ...

I'm going Charlton 2 v 1 RAMZ

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
We play charlton . Not Bobby.

Last time we played these CRYSTAL PALACE wannabeeees was when ??

Not sure ...

I do remember this club sacking Curbishley when he'd kept them in the PREM for so long lol lol lol

This club and FANBASE is desperate to link up with the other LONDON clubs ...

I'm going Charlton 2 v 1 RAMZ
Who is this fucking crayon chewer

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Fair play to the Vale players for those kind of tactics back in May. You’ve got to do what you can to get the win in those situations.

As for this Saturday, it’ll be a totally different type of game, but I still expect it to be quite close. Is Wilson still missing for Vale? I like the sound of the Massey signing and the midfielder (Ojo?) so I can see Vale being solid this season.

Blackman should start in goal for us, which will be a big boost, but if not Scott Brown will continue against his old club. I expect that Jay may come back in to team too but then Coley did himself no harm last week. If Brown and Nombe click, I can see us having a good game and getting 3 points, if not we may well lose.

I’ll go for an optimistic 2-1 win. I’ll be cheering us on while drinking a nice beer or two on the island of Gozo, regardless :woo:

It should be a decent battle, I really enjoyed our visit in May, plenty of respect from both sets of fans and class from both clubs in how they were with congratulating each other and the respect for DC on his return, and obviously at half time Scotty Brown got a great reception when warming up the keeper.

Two similar clubs, well run, solid defensively and should be a close game, obviously we still only have one striker as that search is dragging on a bit so need to keep Proctor fit (unless Wilson returns but think thats a week off) but with DC you never know.

Massey was out last week but think that was down to lack of training so should come in and would play him off Procs rather than throw in 17 year old McDermott in again away from home, big ask that for him despite his decent debut.

Looks like the new swanky away kit will get its first run out too!

Draw would be ok here despite our decent form against Exeter in recent seasons, regardless I wish them well and hopefully we can both have a good solid first season back in L1.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think my view is that the only clubs in the 92 with a worse away experience than our place are probably Barrow and Bristol Rovers. The latter at least have no excuse. (Sutton is self-evidently a work in progress). The main problem is structurally there is little that can be done with the we(s)t terrace (including covering it) and subdividing any of the other stands is close to impossible, or at any rate would be excessively costly considering the plans to move out soonish.

A few changes for the better were made towards the end of last season - notably the opening of a fan zone with beer and food, just outside the turnstiles but particularly, but not only, aimed at visiting supporters.

Outside the ground, the 63 bus is supposed to be back to half-hourly again, but is notably less reliable than it used to be, with loads of cancellations. And if you don't mind a steep walk (up flights up stairs on the hillside), the George pub, towards the Newmarket segment of Nailsworth is the nearest pub to the ground, and a pretty decent choice.

We had a full turnout of away fans last time we played Argyle, I'd expect the same this year.
Keen to hear your justification why we have no excuse? And what you define as “match day experience”?

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton

No you don’t.

The last time you played at The Valley you went home with a huge gaping bum hole after we had finished with it.

DannoBwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton Wanderers
Not entirely sure what to expect this weekend. Wycombe beat us twice last season and the season before if i'n not mistaken so they're definitely a decent side.

Hopefully an improved performance this week, I felt Ipswich controlled things last Saturday, particularly in the second half. Young Connor Bradley on loan from Liverpool looked lively down the right hand side. Would like to see Keiran Sadlier get a start, the man is a baller.

How I hope we'll line up:

-------Trafford-----
--Jones--Santos--Johnson--John
---------MJ Williams------
--Bradley--Morley---Sadlier--
-------Charles--Dapo----

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
Bolton might do well to try and get in our young keeper’s face, he’s very inexperienced (we’re still trying to get a more established #1 in on loan) so could be prone to errors if you pile the pressure on.

Last week was his first senior appearance for the club - he did fine but was never really challenged at any point by a shot-shy Burton side.

Ainsworth has told our local rag that our decent record v BWFC should be forgotten, and we need to just take the game as it comes, so no overconfidence here.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Not entirely sure what to expect this weekend. Wycombe beat us twice last season and the season before if i'n not mistaken so they're definitely a decent side.

Hopefully an improved performance this week, I felt Ipswich controlled things last Saturday, particularly in the second half. Young Connor Bradley on loan from Liverpool looked lively down the right hand side. Would like to see Keiran Sadlier get a start, the man is a baller.

How I hope we'll line up:

-------Trafford-----
--Jones--Santos--Johnson--John
---------MJ Williams------
--Bradley--Morley---Sadlier--
-------Charles--Dapo----
dont think we will set up 4/1/3/2
May see three or so changes but the system will be with 2 wing backs and three centre backs
like to see Iredale, Dempsey,Sadlier and Bodvarsson start

DannoBwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton Wanderers
dont think we will set up 4/1/3/2
May see three or so changes but the system will be with 2 wing backs and three centre backs
like to see Iredale, Dempsey,Sadlier and Bodvarsson start

Aye, more than likely. 20 minutes in and they're doing what they want anyway :lol:

Hope Dempsey has a good season he's worked hard pre-season.

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Keen to hear your justification why we have no excuse? And what you define as “match day experience”?

Specifically the experience of being in the away stands, which doesn't seem quite up to scratch at the Mem. Terracing/standing is generally a good thing, but when it's crammed in towards one end of the pitch and without great sightlines it's less great. Being uncovered is no problem in dry weather (we've been lucky recently then), but if not... As for the "temporary" tent seated stand.....not comfortable, not great to stand in, difficult to generate atmosphere in, sightlines also obstructed and it just feels...naff. Or like being in Crawley at least. Other facilities are not that different in standard from those of a fair number of long-standing lower league clubs, it's the pitchside that's the real problem. In other ways (and outside the stadium) it's a really good awayday.

No excuse, as compared to Barrow, as you've been (to my eyes at least) "a big club" for, well, a long time, and have been at the Mem long enough to sort out some of these things. Yes, I know there are complications (and numerous plans to move), but at some point surely some redevelopment is long overdue, without turning it into a soulless identikit place

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
Shayden Morris joins Aberdeen for a substantial undisclosed fee. Yet another huge success which our academy has produced following James Hill to Bournemouth and Jay Matete to Sunderland. This week the club have signed another 2 young Northern Irish lads to develop and bring through, ( we now have something like 7 from that beautiful island ). The only way Fleetwood can survive is by finding young talent, making them very good players and selling them on. Sad to see these lads go, but it's business....

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Specifically the experience of being in the away stands, which doesn't seem quite up to scratch at the Mem. Terracing/standing is generally a good thing, but when it's crammed in towards one end of the pitch and without great sightlines it's less great. Being uncovered is no problem in dry weather (we've been lucky recently then), but if not... As for the "temporary" tent seated stand.....not comfortable, not great to stand in, difficult to generate atmosphere in, sightlines also obstructed and it just feels...naff. Or like being in Crawley at least. Other facilities are not that different in standard from those of a fair number of long-standing lower league clubs, it's the pitchside that's the real problem. In other ways (and outside the stadium) it's a really good awayday.

No excuse, as compared to Barrow, as you've been (to my eyes at least) "a big club" for, well, a long time, and have been at the Mem long enough to sort out some of these things. Yes, I know there are complications (and numerous plans to move), but at some point surely some redevelopment is long overdue, without turning it into a soulless identikit place
Completely agree with your assessment on the first paragraph. What people forget though is that it’s also the same down the other end for home fans, not that it makes your match day experience any better.

Whilst we could definitely do things like tart up the toilets/facilities, I think I remember an interview somewhere saying that the away end can’t have a roof as it would block off the view for those in the seats. In regards to the tent, in the current pitch position it also can’t go higher as it would block sunlight into other peoples gardens or something?

The problem with the Mem is that it needs serious cash to do anything to it as the pitch needs to be moved or stands completely rebuilt. Sadly, we don’t seem to have that sort of cash. Get where you’re coming from though

Last edited:

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
Oxford away which will undoubtedly be tough, decent game last year where Oxford really punished us in wide areas so hoping we’ll have come up with a plan to frustrate, I’d take a draw although we’re again a massive price on 365 @ 17/4, we proved last yr that on our day we can beat anyone.

KTF

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Might have my first footy bets for a while tomorrow.

Liking Plymouth at Fleetwood (odds against), Ipswich at Forest Green (evens) and Pompey to beat Lincoln (3/4) for a treble.

Tea Towel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Can see a low scoring one at MK tomorrow. Both Gregory and Smith out for us and their new signings could take time to gel.

Cue 4-4.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Unless we sign some players today, we’ll get hammered.

Barton has come out publicly and told 3 players to go. 2 started against FGR, 1 of which he gave a 2 year contract extension 6 weeks ago.

Neither of the 3 are allowed to train with the first team anymore meaning we now need about 8/9 signings and have no LBs at the club.

Shocking really. In other news Elliot Anderson who we had on loan last year has been confirmed to stay in Newcastles squad this season - fair play to the lad, he was streets ahead for L2. A cheat code really.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Unless we sign some players today, we’ll get hammered.

Barton has come out publicly and told 3 players to go. 2 started against FGR, 1 of which he gave a 2 year contract extension 6 weeks ago.

Neither of the 3 are allowed to train with the first team anymore meaning we now need about 8/9 signings and have no LBs at the club.

Shocking really. In other news Elliot Anderson who we had on loan last year has been confirmed to stay in Newcastles squad this season - fair play to the lad, he was streets ahead for L2. A cheat code really.
You will still win tomorrow. Don’t fret.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!