Saturday 6th August

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
A lot better from Pools today ,coinciding with going back to 5-3-2.
The defence looked unregonisible from last week,with Mayo looking very good.
Midfield is still the big problem,Cooke had a good second half,but Sena was poor & Feath just kills any momentum we build up.We are just so slow.
Umerha looks a good signing,but desperately needs some support.
I think him & Joel Grey could strike up a good partnership,even so,goals are going to be at a premium.
Yeah I agree I don't think we're going to score much. We need more energy in the middle which is why I'd have Crawford, possibly even Shelton in there. Featherstone looks like he's slowing down, Niang doesn't look up to it on the ball. Grey up top with Umerah has potential. On the plus side we were well drilled and gives a bit of belief that we can go down to Northampton next up and get something.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
A tight game at Crawley settled by another Tom James special from outside the box.

Nothing really in the game, I was happy with the way we defended - albeit against a team that passed it around well but created very little, if anything - only one shot on target all game.

Crawley did have the games two best chances when they hit us on the break twice, James Tilley should've scored in the first half I felt.

The hot conditions meant for a slow paced game, happy with our two wins but again you could see some of our players today are playing catchup after a distrubted pre season, I thought their were moments in the game we should've managed better when we went in front, but I think that will come when the better match sharpness comes.

Crawley play it around well, but don't make the use of the good forward players they have and rarely took risks or got the ball forward quickly enough - they're the sort of team that need to score first in a game and once they do they should win, because in terms of keeping the ball overall they was quite good I felt. Its going to take time for Betsy to get it right I think, if he does..............

Koumas’Right-Boot

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
1-0 about right today, Tranmere pretty poor - Mansfield having a lot of the ball but lacked quality in the final third.

Referee had this five minutes of madness, he overruled himself and agreed with the lino to give a Tranmere throwing then minutes later the lino gave us a throwing and the bloke refused to give it us :lol:

Tranmere had two penalty shouts in first half, first one I missed and second was comical so need to rewatch that but about the right score.
The one on Nevitt in the opening exchanges was as nailed on a penalty as it gets, the referee clearly bottled it due to the time of game.

The one on Hemmings is one of those that probably gets a free kick but rarely a penalty so not as fussed about that one.

Turnbull, Davies & Morris all to come back into the side so no alarm bells from me.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
I've seen Crawley fans turn on the team before but never in the first home game of the season!

Our performance summed up by the chant 'we had a shot, how shit must you be? We had a shot'

We've got some decent players in that side. Balagizi. Omorole, Jenks but there seems to be a prohibition on passing forwards and don't get me started on Travis 'bsckwards' Johnson! The only time he passed forward was when he should have cut it back from the byline.

Fiver on Betsy to be the first boss sacked might be a good investment. 1 shot on target in 2 games!

Casey
In all honesty, it was a close game in hot conditions - You weren't THAT bad. If Tilley scores from that break in the first half, then its a totally different game.

But I can understand the frustration that comes when you have the ball for long periods and don't give your forward players anything to get their teeth into.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
You're more generous than I am towards Betsy Terminator.

As soon as you scored you just sat in and set traps to steal the ball and I thought you could've had a couple more goals.

Yes Tilley should if scored but it's always a problem playing a right footed player on the left in situations like that. Mind you I was a long way away from it.

Did think your keeper did well . When we actually started to get some ball in your half he had a sit down with the trainer on for a couple of minutes. Allowed the boss to have a chat.

Casey

Cas

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I'm not saying we were absolutely abysmal, but I almost took out my contact lenses at half time.

We were second best all over the pitch and second best in the dugout. Barrow were the better side in pretty much every aspect outside of the oh so overrated possession stat. When we got it back to 2-2 I was just about to whip out my phone to edit the 'greatest fucking thieves of all time' Wikipedia page. If Barrow can maintain that sort of performance then they'll do well this season and, you know, I think they'll finish above us.

Not really sure where to start with our performance. I'll start from the back. Harry Lewis - Meh. Brad Halliday makes me want to run out and buy an Oscar Threlkeld poster to put on my wall. Matty Platt will be getting a call from Dreamworks if they ever decide to do a remake of Shrek and are in need of a dopey fucking donkey. Crichlow is someone I like but he can't head a ball and I suspect it's that dopey rat of a haircut. Liam Ridehalg is slow as I am litterate. Harry Chapman is one lazy, sulky little bastard. "WAH WAH WAH. I wanted Turkey Dinos for tea, not broccoli." Shut up, ya fanny. Richie Smallwod is a master of recycling - I'll see you Wednesday for the bins m8. Ryan East is a bit too safe. Lee Angol playing like he's worried his third hamstring is gonna snap. Vidaine Oliver completely isolated and clueless. Probably forgetting someone.

Jake Young looked lively when he came on. He needs to be starting over Angol any day. Andy Cook is our best striker.

I said in pre-season that I thought we'd finish 9th. Looks a bit generous.

One of the most scenic drives to a football match ever by the way. Chatted to a couple of Barrow fans pre-kickoff who were great. Good luck for the rest of the season.

AR27

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Thought both sides were clueless first half. We had all the ball but did nothing with it.

Second half, Barrow had more energy, pressed us well and we stopped doing the few good things we did in the first half. Our midfield was all over the shop, Smallwood, Gilliead and East has no balance and if Walker is out a while then we're fucked.

At 2-2 I thought it was just about a fair result as neither keeper had anything to do other than picking the ball out their own net. But when we defend like we did for the 2nd and 3rd goal then we deserve to lose the game.

AR27

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I'm not saying we were absolutely abysmal, but I almost took out my contact lenses at half time.

We were second best all over the pitch and second best in the dugout. Barrow were the better side in pretty much every aspect outside of the oh so overrated possession stat. When we got it back to 2-2 I was just about to whip out my phone to edit the 'greatest fucking thieves of all time' Wikipedia page. If Barrow can maintain that sort of performance then they'll do well this season and, you know, I think they'll finish above us.

Not really sure where to start with our performance. I'll start from the back. Harry Lewis - Meh. Brad Halliday makes me want to run out and buy an Oscar Threlkeld poster to put on my wall. Matty Platt will be getting a call from Dreamworks if they ever decide to do a remake of Shrek and are in need of a dopey fucking donkey. Crichlow is someone I like but he can't head a ball and I suspect it's that dopey rat of a haircut. Liam Ridehalg is slow as I am litterate. Harry Chapman is one lazy, sulky little bastard. "WAH WAH WAH. I wanted Turkey Dinos for tea, not broccoli." Shut up, ya fanny. Richie Smallwod is a master of recycling - I'll see you Wednesday for the bins m8. Ryan East is a bit too safe. Lee Angol playing like he's worried his third hamstring is gonna snap. Vidaine Oliver completely isolated and clueless. Probably forgetting someone.

Jake Young looked lively when he came on. He needs to be starting over Angol any day. Andy Cook is our best striker.

One of the most scenic drives to a football match ever by the way. Chatted to a couple of Barrow fans pre-kickoff who were great. Good luck for the rest of the season.
Harsh on Halliday, I thought he was fine. But Ridehalgh was dreadful. That foul for the third for a supposed experienced player is absolutely criminal.

Cas

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Harsh on Halliday, I thought he was fine. But Ridehalgh was dreadful. That foul for the third for a supposed experienced player is absolutely criminal.

Harsh? Maybe. Agree on RIdehalgh though. I'd be dropping him for Foulds tbh if he plays like that again. Was really disappointed in him today. I stuck up for him last season when people were saying we need better but now I think they're right.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
In all honesty, it was a close game in hot conditions - You weren't THAT bad. If Tilley scores from that break in the first half, then its a totally different game.

But I can understand the frustration that comes when you have the ball for long periods and don't give your forward players anything to get their teeth into.

Anxiety around the ownership will be driving the overreactions, I reckon. Going to be no tolerance of on-field ineptitude with every fan who believes the entire structure of the club is a house of cards in the shape of a pyramid scheme.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
was really surprised by tranmere. they played football i really didn’t expect from them - appreciate we all struggle from injuries but that was something else,

Mansfield we’re wasteful - terrible in our conversion
Didn’t go, but the commentary and those who did think it was an improvement on last weekend, so will let you imagine how bad that was…

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Played fairly well and a draw was the least we deserved, a loss would have been a robbery. Showed we can play without McAtee but he definitely adds another dimension to us. We also absolutely need another (scoring) striker because it would’ve been comfortable today if we did.

Holohan and Smith (goal aside) and Glennon were very good today, thought Wearne and JMD changed the game coming on. Until the goal the game was pretty boring but fairly even but from then on we dominated. Encouraging signs with several first teamers still out injured and several others not 100%.
Koiki impressed for Northampton but the away fans did not - rubbish following that!

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Stockport will come good, the difference in league 2 is you aren’t playing the crown & anchor every other week

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds

I thought Critchlow looked decent - he must have had more touches than anyone as you kept passing it back to him for the whole first half. And also aimed every set-piece at him too. He should've had a red though for that body check on the half-way line.

Platt had a stinker, and there was a bit of irony that Canavan had another great game.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Was watching via Flashscore on the drive home from Cornwall (naughty). Waited all second half for the inevitable Salford goal but it never came. Guess there are some positives to take from that.

Might better off signing a couple of proper full backs than trying to get 3-5-2 to work.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I've got a feeling Rochdale and Harrogate are going to be two of the stragglers this season, but if in someway they are the standard of this league by God I forgot how God awful it was. They've both made us look like we could be a team to challenge towards the top.

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Was watching via Flashscore on the drive home from Cornwall (naughty). Waited all second half for the inevitable Salford goal but it never came. Guess there are some positives to take from that.

Might better off signing a couple of proper full backs than trying to get 3-5-2 to work.
I’d suggest you quite rightly had your eyes on the road rather than your screen as both Hutton & Clayton played well in the second half

Big Bird

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
I’d suggest you quite rightly had your eyes on the road rather than your screen as both Hutton & Clayton played well in the second half
Goal updates only, no video.

Glad we had some positive performances second half.

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Sounds like Mike Flynn got some stick from the Newport fans which is sad to here as thought he did well there.

End on a sour note?

Dale4ever

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
I've got a feeling Rochdale and Harrogate are going to be two of the stragglers this season, but if in someway they are the standard of this league by God I forgot how God awful it was. They've both made us look like we could be a team to challenge towards the top.
Don’t be fooled, you were nothing special. We are just that bad.

Hans Depp

Reaction score
Supports
FC Basel
If Harrogate are stragglers this season then what would that make Swindon?

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Goal updates only, no video.

Glad we had some positive performances second half.

The switch from 5 at the back to 4 made a difference as did the subs. Darcy, Hutton and Clayton all looked decent second half. I hate to comment on referees but Woolmer was ridiculous, handing out cards like confetti when there wasn't a bad foul in the 90. Mckirdy's second yellow when you see it again looked really harsh, but you knew he was just waiting for an excuse to give him a second yellow, the first was for mouthing off, surprise surprise!!

Hopefully we sack off the 5 at the back permanently, we are generally crap when adopted. It happened last season and Garner eventually changed it for the better, so not sure why the manager thinks it would be a good idea to go back to 5 this season. Oh and it was good to see Sol Brynn get man of the match after suffering some 'abuse' pre match from some of our fans.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Well that was a pathetic second half showing from us. After a decent first half, to put in such an inept second half I’m pleased to get out with a point.

4 points isn’t a bad start, but all the signs are there that we’re going to be struggling at the bottom end again. Poor going forward, and some calamity moments at the back. Simpson is a great manager but he’s not a miracle worker and with the tools at his disposal he needs to be. A better team would have taken us to the cleaners today. Worrying signs.

You're right HG we're shit and going to struggle now and probably won't be long until we go part time too.

Dark days to be a Carlisle fan..

Salvador

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
I don't like football.

immariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town FC
Think the highlights might already be available to view but wanted to comment on first impressions. First half we fairly cancelled each other out with little in the way of meaningful efforts on goal, Kiernan with probably the best chance, looping the ball well over the bar on the stretch after a decent cross into the box from Glennon I think.

Second half it mostly looked like only one team was going to win it, but then against the runn of play, a decent-looking dink over the top of Smith saw Hoskins free behind the defence. Having not seen it again, I was questioning Crocombe's positioning at the time and why he didn't come out to narrow the angle. It appeared that he was wary about the cut across the box and perhaps giving himself the chance to cut it out but in so doing it appeared on first viewing that he made Hoskins' mind up for him by leaving so much of his far post exposed. Not saying it's his fault we conceded the goal and I could well be being over-critical because I haven't seen anyone say similar. After that it was one way traffic with us having a number of decent efforts on goal, with the Northampton keeper, equal to them, before Maguire-Drew deservedly drew us level with a shot hit into the ground after an initial save. Immediately after Northampton had a half decent effort, I think on the turn, saved at the near post by Crocombe. We pushed for the winner in added time but despite a lot of pressure and crosses into the box, nothing of real note was created.

Despite being so close to 3 points, I suspect the 495 fairly quiet Cobblers will be pleased to come out of that game with a point, as much as we will be happy with the willingness shown to get another important late goal. If Northampton do end up being one of the sides towards the top, I'm hopeful we'll pick up enough points at home to see us looking up rather than down.

Other notes:
Crocombe -kicks poor
Efete- largely ineffective going forward
Green- off rhe pace a bit, needs game time
Holohan- best 90 i've seen him have for us
Smith- classy
Taylor- tried, didn't win an awful lot but the shocking ref gave him nothing
Wearne- showed a decent touch when he came on. Looking forward to him being 100%

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
Sounds like Mike Flynn got some stick from the Newport fans which is sad to here as thought he did well there.

End on a sour note?
Abuse Newport are looking into it and on the game we ground out a result in a game we would have lost last season not pretty like last week but effective still.Special mention for Peter Clarke absolutely immense today can't believe the bloke is 40 years old.

Hans Depp

Reaction score
Supports
FC Basel
Mark Hughes learning about Leagte Two very quickly!
There's precedent. Tim Sherwood went from managing Tottenham in the Europa League to getting Swindon relegated from League 1.

I wouldn't be surprised in a few years if we see Frank Lampard and/or Steven Gerrard at this level.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Tim Sherwood never managed Swindon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bantamshell

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!