Slovakia v England, 20th June, 8pm

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
Difficult not to be disappointed with this result, should be beating teams like Slovakia even if they don't intend to leave their own half. Despite our dominance in possession (mostly slow and unnecessary), we created few chances. Still, most top teams would've buried one of those. A similar pattern to the earlier games.

In the 3 games so far, I'd say Walker and Clyne have been our biggest attacking threats.

I don't mind who we face in the next round. I wouldn't be surprised if we face a similar set-up if it's Hungary or Iceland (and maybe even Austria), I just hope we can make our possession count for something and progress to the quarter-finals.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
You are a mod now mate, show some decorum! Henderson was a disgrace.
He was England's best player by some distance from what I saw when I wasn't watching real football played from Wales ;)

Saltire. C'mon mate, that toe-rag took three corners and couldn't get it past the first defender. Atrocious. I hope he plays like that in the PL next season.
Milner takes the corners for Liverpool so Hendo won't be involved with that anyway. He's going to be a revelation this coming season if he gets back to 100%, just watch :D
VuxY3bb.jpg

Right....it's all so clear now. ;)

I think it'll be Austria. I think Portugal will scrape out a win against Hungary and I also think Austria will beat Iceland.
Oh I think I've just creamed! Look at that blackboard!!! :woot:

mente captus

Reaction score
Supports
wins
i think it was a big mistake by Roy to let all the wingers out. very one dinensional upfront. close the gates in the middle and you are fine against England.

the second mistake he made was to think the opponents are playing the same attacking football as they did in the friendlies and his forward line will get the space to score no matter what.

Luke_1884

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
Twitter
@Barraclive
Typical england unimpressive meh football making a meh group look like world beaters.

And then you follow that up with the world "reality".

World beaters? The three teams we've faced have hardly been in our half. If they actually wanted a game of football I have no doubt we'd have played all 3 off the park.

Frustrating as hell maybe but passage through to the knock outs has been pretty straight forward, as our results have shown.

johnnytodd

Reaction score
Supports
Everton
As predicted play bang average Liverpool players and thats what you get.

If we play a decent team we'd get battered, Hodgson and his Liverpool love affair is killing this squad.

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
A single unitary authority for urban Dorset
The only issue is its patently obvious what's going to happen from here. We'll do alright in the second round, and being a knockout game itll open up at some point and we'll probably look quite good in that situation. And then we'll get embarrassed by France.

Whereas finishing top of the group I'd fancy us (now Wales) to have a proper go at the inconsistent and flaky Belgium in the quarters should they get there.

And doesn't the fact that we were a 92nd minute winner v Wales away from 3 draws and another group stage exit embarrass anyone else?

silkyman

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town/Manchester City. It's complicated.
There's very fine margins though. By the same argument, England were only a last minute goal from Russia away from topping the group.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There's very fine margins though. By the same argument, England were only a last minute goal from Russia away from topping the group.
Equally a last minute goal from drawing against Wales tbf - those games cancelled each other out in my mind.

Skinner

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Palace
Can't believe every team against us so far has just plonked 10 men behind the ball

Frustrating, tedious, but effective all the same.

Yawn.

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
People saying we can't break sides down... We had four clear goal scoring chances vs Slovakia and more against Russia but failed to take them.

It's a mentality thing. We need the early goal or the anxiety starts to creep in. If we face a side that defensive in the KOs we will beat them, even if it does have to take us 120 minutes.

Skinner

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Palace
Leading to a lack of composure and wrong choices. Sturridge should have gone with his head for his chance.

It's not just us struggling with it either.

Renegade

Show me what you got.
Reaction score
Supports
Trad Bricks
I reckon England's exit has 1-0 (or 0-0 and penalties) written all over it against a side that is stubborn defensively but has at least some attacking options. If England fail to beat Russia and Slovakia, whilst leaving it until the 90th to beat Wales, do you really fancy them to score against BBC for Italy or Spain's backline? I'm not sure how the draw actually sets up but I can see teams like Poland, Portugal, Croatia, Switzerland all having enough to sneak a 0-0 or 1-0 against England. Maybe even Belgium if they've got their shit in order.

This is the most enjoyable football I've ever seen England play at a major tournament, it's bizarre they don't have a cutting edge considering the options they have in attack. If Harry Kane arrived at this tournament playing anything like he has for Spurs, I don't think this would have been an issue. He is used to scoring goals against teams that park the bus, England's other strikers (bar Rooney I guess) aren't.

Roy fucked up by not fielding a stronger XI in this game, an easy draw and bagging a few goals in the last 16 could do wonders for the squad going into the later stages of the tournament. Maybe they'll get that vs Iceland or Austria anyway, I wouldn't be filled with confidence.

johnnytodd

Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Albania will beat England were that shit, our only decent player so far has been Kyle Walker and his end ball is gash.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Meltdown continuing I see.....

silkyman

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town/Manchester City. It's complicated.
Equally a last minute goal from drawing against Wales tbf - those games cancelled each other out in my mind.

That's basically my point. If a 'last minute goal' is somehow classed as lucky - i.e. we were lucky to beat wales, which is what's being implied, then surely by exactly the same logic, we were unlucky not to beat Russia.

Certainly should have won last night with the possession and chances. The biggest mystery of these Euros will be how England had two strikers who had shown such form in the domestic season that it was not only the first time that an Englishman topped the PL goalscoring charts, but they had a 1/2, since 1999/2000 - and other than a five minute spell from Vardy when he first came on against Wales - they have both been absolutely, and totally ineffectual and anonymous.

MJA

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
The annoying thing is that we keep hearing that our struggles are because teams are 'parking the bus' and we have struggled to break them down. Don't most of our players play for top clubs who have to face this conundrum most weeks? I don't see them struggling to break these teams down in every match during the normal season.

The problem for me is that we are yet again seeing an England manager trying to fit square pegs in round holes once again. It is clear for everyone to see that Roy picked a squad to suit the narrow, diamond formation and then just because it didn't work great against Portugal he decided to change to the 4-5-1 formation he is portraying as a 4-3-3. For me, the diamond formation would have worked had it been given a chance. The talk of us lacking width is rubbish as, even in the current system, our full backs have generally been getting further forward than any supposed wide attacking player and they would have done this in the diamond. We would then have more options up top as would have 2 actual strikers on the pitch and in central areas and the diamond would be better suited to work the ball through the middle third and into the final third which for me is where the major issue has been

A n d y

Reaction score
Supports
Gateshead
You've really got to credit Slovakia for getting what they wanted last night, they did ride their luck at times but Skrtel was outstanding for me, I'm not really to bothered by who we get from Group F but it'll be interesting to see Hungary's line up now and whether or not they'll be willing to rest players for the second round as a defeat would more than likely mean they'll be against us.

I guess the main thing is just qualifying from the groups at this stage so job done, looking forward to the second round game now.

Deepcut Cobbler

Reaction score
Supports
The Cobblers and Gladbach
Germany had a similar problem against Poland, struggled to score more against Ukraine after getting an early goal. Let's see how they do against NI who have already said that they will park the bus and attempt score on the break?

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That's basically my point. If a 'last minute goal' is somehow classed as lucky - i.e. we were lucky to beat wales, which is what's being implied, then surely by exactly the same logic, we were unlucky not to beat Russia.

Certainly should have won last night with the possession and chances. The biggest mystery of these Euros will be how England had two strikers who had shown such form in the domestic season that it was not only the first time that an Englishman topped the PL goalscoring charts, but they had a 1/2, since 1999/2000 - and other than a five minute spell from Vardy when he first came on against Wales - they have both been absolutely, and totally ineffectual and anonymous.
Apologies, didn't realise you were commenting on the post above yours, thought you were just talking generally about the Russia game.

What I am surprised at are people saying how impressed they are with Slovakia. Tbh, I was exceptionally disappointed with them last night. Obviously living out here, I follow them a little bit and while they were good defensively, they were poor. They're normally much better, attacking and all round more dangerous in general. Considering they've come into this tournament with some good form and impressive results, they should be disappointed in the way they set out last night IMO.

Luke_1884

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
Twitter
@Barraclive
The annoying thing is that we keep hearing that our struggles are because teams are 'parking the bus' and we have struggled to break them down. Don't most of our players play for top clubs who have to face this conundrum most weeks? I don't see them struggling to break these teams down in every match during the normal season.

This came up last night at work, along with the teams we play in qualifying who clearly park the bus. For me it's the quality of the teams now parking the bus that's changed, not our ability to break them down. It's alright cutting through San Marino with Geoff and Dave from the city chippy at centre half or Kieran facking Clarke and co of Aston Villa... we're now trying to break through better players who are more organised than anything we faced pre-tournament. You don't normally see the quality of Bale, Ramsey, Hamsik, Skrtel etc sat on the edge of their own area like we have against England.

I thought the Welsh were probably going to be the deepest we'd face this tournament but last night took the piss. Eric Dier in possession on the edge of the centre circle in Slovakia's half with Slovakia's players running past him to get back in position, no pressure on the ball at all. It's ridiculously frustrating as it's working for the smaller nations and if they did fancy a game of football all three sides we've faced would get taken apart so what do we expect. I personally thought that at a major finals that these international teams would have some balls and have a go but I've been horribly wrong so far.

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
I personally thought that at a major finals that these international teams would have some balls and have a go but I've been horribly wrong so far.

I suspect they would have done, but the 'best four third-place teams qualify' lark has killed off most of the excitement in the group stages. Why go for broke against a dangerous side when 3/4 pts are probably all you need to reach the next round?

"HEARTBREAK FOR SLOVAKIA... in a few days... possibly... or joy... depending on incredibly arbitrary criteria..."

Reaper

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham
People saying we can't break sides down... We had four clear goal scoring chances vs Slovakia and more against Russia but failed to take them.

It's a mentality thing. We need the early goal or the anxiety starts to creep in. If we face a side that defensive in the KOs we will beat them, even if it does have to take us 120 minutes.

Exactly this, heard alot of comments saying were struggling to break through a stubborn defence in our 3 games but we've had clear cut chances in every game but for what ever reason were not seem to be taking them it so frustrating. I also think were not getting any luck whatsoever so far aswel, ever clean strike seems to go straight at the keeper or just happen to hit the the keeper or defender without them knowing like the Clyne and Alli chances yesterday against Slovakia. Somebody is due for an hiding soon if we can get that early goal and a bit more luck.

MJA

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
This came up last night at work, along with the teams we play in qualifying who clearly park the bus. For me it's the quality of the teams now parking the bus that's changed, not our ability to break them down. It's alright cutting through San Marino with Geoff and Dave from the city chippy at centre half or Kieran facking Clarke and co of Aston Villa... we're now trying to break through better players who are more organised than anything we faced pre-tournament. You don't normally see the quality of Bale, Ramsey, Hamsik, Skrtel etc sat on the edge of their own area like we have against England.

I thought the Welsh were probably going to be the deepest we'd face this tournament but last night took the piss. Eric Dier in possession on the edge of the centre circle in Slovakia's half with Slovakia's players running past him to get back in position, no pressure on the ball at all. It's ridiculously frustrating as it's working for the smaller nations and if they did fancy a game of football all three sides we've faced would get taken apart so what do we expect. I personally thought that at a major finals that these international teams would have some balls and have a go but I've been horribly wrong so far.

I've not seen much quality in terms of the teams we have faced in the group stage. I mean, we are talking about Wales, Russia and Slovakia not France, Germany and Spain and we should be able to work our way through their banks of defensive players with the quality in our squad.

I actually thought having all of these extra nations at the tournament would have made it better, but if anything the fact that nations can sneak through in 3rd place with 3 points has made the tournament much poorer with too many negative tactics being deployed

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
Now almost a day has passed I'm a bit more relaxed about England.

We played 3 teams who literally put 10 men behind the ball and was near impossible to break down, we did it in 2 games but last night was on another level, the way they defended was ridiculous, Wales didn't have that, two of Wales' goals came from mistakes, so we are quite unlucky we didn't top the group.

I've not thought, while watching any of our games "This is shite, we're playing awful" because we've played decent football, we've created chances and the fact is the damage was done against Russia with that late goal.

I've got massive faith in the players, I think we've genuinely got a good, balanced squad and that's showed in the performances. We'll do better against teams that open up, and want to score.

We've been unfortunate/unlucky so far. Who have played better football than us? Spain obviously. Germany? Possibly. France? They've been awful, I fancy us against them to be honest.

What I don't have faith in is the manager, we've won 3 games in tournaments under him. He still doesn't know his best team and is tactically shite.

Do one Roy. Give it Neville and let's have some stability.

Storzy

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal
Could you imagine the response you'd get on this board if a Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd fan complained that the only reason they'd struggled is because of all the horrible teams playing for a point?

If a team sits off and gives you 60%+ possesion you have to punish them.

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Premier League Champions 15/16
You'd think we'd have worked on set pieces for games where the opposition just want to sit back. You get enough opportunities but there's nothing in our set pieces that you could say that they've worked on in training. It's literally whoever just kicks it into the box. Anywhere in the box. No cohesion and worse, no imagination. It's kind of odd that Dier scored a free kick yet prior to that and since he's never been a designated taker.

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
Could you imagine the response you'd get on this board if a Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd fan complained that the only reason they'd struggled is because of all the horrible teams playing for a point?

If a team sits off and gives you 60%+ possesion you have to punish them.

Chelsea and Man United have 38 games to prove their quality, we only have three, and no-one was complaining anyway -- most people are just making observations about how our games have gone so far and why we shouldn't panic too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!