Southern League 2015/16

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Delroy Gordon has joined Courtney Herbert in signing up for the season at Diamonds.

Gordon is a defender with experience at the top of non-league and a name some might know, last season he was at Leamington in the Conference North. Gordon was apparently an old R&DFC youth, though he is 30 now.

Herbert joined last week, having played for Cogenhoe, Corby, Banbury and Aylesbury as well as his stint at Northampton.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Our squad is getting completed now. We've got huge competition for places at the back and up front, but in terms of players signed up we are a little shorter in midfield. Ideally I'd still like a goalkeeper to challenge for the starting spot while our young lad develops in the U21s, though he's looked good in the mins he's had in pre-season.

We've had some great news as Scott Joseph, arguably our best striker last season, has signed up. I say arguably as they were all quite different players, but Jospeh never really had a pre-season and when he re-joined us last year was clearly lacking in match fitness/practice and cohesion with the unit. That was remedied over time and he finished with 14 goals. If he plays regularly I can see him being a 20+ man, even with the step up.

Hopefully over the next week Spriggs will sign, and maybe Fitzgerald too, both players currently on trial and have played numerous games to give us the personnel on the wings. I feel we're looking pretty strong right now, maybe need to get things clicking a bit more in attack, but we're getting there. A positive pre-season so far.

Anyone else in any Southern League division getting there?

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Wasn't sure if it was worth it's own topic on the subject of gambling and the rules which came in to force at the start of last season or not, but either way it's certainly Southern League news that two players from our neighbours up the A6 (Kettering) have been charged by the FA of betting on football. The players are Brett Solkhon and Elliot Sandy.

Just to recap, the rule is that anyone involved with a club (player, official, board member, employee or even regular volunteer) cannot bet on any football. This applies from the PL all the way down to step 4. Below that the rules are the old ones where you are only banned from betting on competitions you are involved in.

Precedent hasn't been set yet as to what sort of punishment will be handed out, if it will involve a fine or suspension, or even both. I guess it depends on how many matches and which competitions (i.e. if they also fall afoul of the old rules then it's clearly worse).

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds

I'd missed that. Though with all the details the article offers I'm not sure how... ;)

Looking it up, it apparently actually to a bet in 2008! This is from a game he played in, and is clearly a far worse offense than if the Kettering players are being done for betting on PL matches or similar. This is possibly being done under the old rules (i.e. the ones which saw Mangan banned for 5 months). Another incident under these rules was Andy Burgess who actually bet on Diamonds to win a game while he played for us, and for him to score in the same match. He may have gotten off lighter because he backed himself/his own team, and/or because neither happened! He was banned while he played for Mansfield.

Woodworm

Reaction score
Supports
Fulham
How the bookies have it...

WIN/DRAW/WIN

15:00 Bedworth - Biggleswade Town 2.17 3.77 2.91
15:00 Bideford - St. Neots 3.13 3.77 2.06
15:00 Cambridge City - Weymouth 2.38 3.77 2.60
15:00 Dorchester - Histon 2.28 3.77 2.73
15:00 Dunstable Town - Chippenham Town 2.49 3.77 2.49
15:00 Hitchin - Stratford 1.97 3.78 3.35
15:00 Leamington - Chesham 2.28 3.77 2.73
15:00 Merthyr Town - Kings Lynn 1.85 3.78 3.78
15:00 Paulton Rovers - Hungerford 2.60 3.77 2.38
15:00 Poole Town - Kettering 2.06 3.77 3.13
15:00 Redditch - Cirencester 2.38 3.77 2.60
15:00 Slough - Frome 2.33 3.65 2.73

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
No odds on games for the Div1's.

AFCR&D are priced at a ludicrously low 7/2 which is joint favourites with Royston Town, and then others are at 12's etc. This probably reflects how Div 1 Central lost a number of the stronger sides one way or another.

In Div 1 S&W the favourites are Banbury and Evesham both at 5/1, Didcot and Tuanton are at 8's before it drifts out to 12s and 14s

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Diamonds got off to a reasonable start with a 1-1 draw against also newly promoted Petersfield Town.

The result was probably overall fair, with a well contested middle period bookended by a couple of periods of dominance from Rushden. Petersfield moved the ball well and scored the first goal early in the second half when an attack was poorly defended and a looping cross was nodded in at the back post. The equaliser was also nodded in, this time from a throw in. It was one of the new boys Delroy Gordon who got the goal. We had numerous chances in the opening period and a couple of good ones near the back end to win it too, but it wasn't to be, and a draw was probably fair overall against a well organised and hard working side. Difficult to gauge the level of the league and where we are in reference to this as both teams are newly promoted, but it was a good contest, though up and down in entertainment value.

Before the game Claudiu Hoban was signed, he made his debut from the bench late on.

A

anonymous1605point1

Tivvy lost 2-0 away at North Leigh not a good start

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
The season is starting thick and fast with another round of games tonight.

The first away game for AFCR&D at this level, and the first relatively established Southern League side faced will be St Ives. St Ives were promoted from the UCL a few years ago after finishing second behind big spending Long Buckby.

In terms of squad news, we are down by a man with experienced CB Liam Dolman injured during Saturday's match, limping off after about 15 mins. Local paper is also saying that Wilkinson will be unavailable, though that is mitigated somewhat by the return of Joe Merrill from a chest infection. This likely means Delroy Gordon will move across to CB and Merrill will come in at RB, though it will leave us relatively short of options if something goes wrong at the back.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Another draw last night for us, this time 2-2. Goals we conceded were a penalty and a header from a free kick. Set pieces are definitely where we are weak, this was a pattern last season. According to our twitter we had a penalty appeal turned down just before theirs, and the decision to give them a spot kick was a soft one. Apparently our second goal was an absolutely stunner, so I'm looking forwards to seeing that on highlights.

The St Ives manager came out and said they were lucky to get a point, and I'm sure our manager will feel aggrieved that we didn't pick up all 3, with the equaliser coming on ~85 mins.

Still you only have the points on the board from the score at 90 mins. Conceding late on was a problem in the past occasionally too. At least we didn't lose, created chances up front and took a few. Generally a point away from home is a good result, just need to start picking up some wins. Only 2pts behind the playoffs as only two teams have won both their opening fixtures! (so far, Aylesbury United play tonight having won their opening game).

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds

Highlights here. Based on these and reading both match reports an even first half followed by a dominated second half. Their penalty is a bit soft, giving us one would have been about the same though (see our number 7 getting taken down by the 'keeper earlier on after playing the ball and losing posession). Our equaliser is good after a fantastic flick, the one to take the lead it's hard to tell if it's a cross or a shot, but it's in and that's all that matters. Terrible goal to concede at the end though.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Well three games and three draws as AFCR&D drew at Ware.

It was another case of what should have been, with Diamonds leading until a late equaliser. We were comfortably the better side but failed to take our chances again.

We've been persisting with playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 (depending on who you ask!) but I'm not sure how well it is working.

Defensively we've rarely been troubled in all of the games so far, so maybe we can just consider ourselves unlucky at that end of the pitch, but we certainly need to sharpen up at the other end a bit to give ourselves some breathing space.

I mark it as 4 points dropped, with the games at St Ives and Ware should have been wins really. Still there are positives to take, we are clearly holding our own at the higher level, we are creating chances and we are limiting the opposition to few. If this continues then it shouldn't be too long until we get our first win under the belt, and our next opportunity comes about quickly as Aylesbury United visit on Tuesday. They were put to the sword 5-1 at home to Bedford last Wednesday... so there is an indication that they might have some weaknesses at the back to exploit.

Etty Abrics

An otter disgrace
Reaction score
Supports
Dover Athletic
Twitter
@EttyAbrics
First off, I have a bugbear against the sponsor names, but I'm still greatful for the sponsors so Evostik Evotik Evostik. I'll just explain that these make it confusing as they change so regularly, but pretty much everyone knows what the Southern League is. Do they know that the Evostik Premier Division 1 South is actually part of the Northern Premier and not the Southern... I'm not so sure. Southern League = easy.
Beazer Homes League for the win :) or dare I say it...Doc Martins....

Good luck for the season Jemfy.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
4th time is the charm for AFCR&D! Diamonds beating Aylesbury United 2-1 in a good game on Tuesday night at the Dog and Duck.

It was an eventful entertaining game, and very similar to the match at Ware, Diamonds had the better of the first half, but not by such a margin as Saturday's game. Again it was Hoban who cut inside from the left and fired in to the far corner to give AFCR&D the first half lead. Similarities continued to follow with several missed chances for Diamonds before Aylsebury equalised late on, about the 85th min. Mistake from the visitors however as this let us get down the other end and win a penalty. CB Liam Dolman put it in the bottom corner with the 'keeper going the wrong way and the home crowd enjoyed a glorious moment following the disappointingly predictable equaliser. It's the first maximum this season, and we're still unbeaten.

Next up on Saturday is another home tie, this time Chalfont St Peter the visitors. Chalfont have picked up 3 wins and a loss from their 4 games so far, so this should be a tough one based on opening form at least.

Modernist

Reaction score
Supports
Freedom
4th time is the charm for AFCR&D! Diamonds beating Aylesbury United 2-1 in a good game on Tuesday night at the Dog and Duck.

It was an eventful entertaining game, and very similar to the match at Ware, Diamonds had the better of the first half, but not by such a margin as Saturday's game. Again it was Hoban who cut inside from the left and fired in to the far corner to give AFCR&D the first half lead. Similarities continued to follow with several missed chances for Diamonds before Aylsebury equalised late on, about the 85th min. Mistake from the visitors however as this let us get down the other end and win a penalty. CB Liam Dolman put it in the bottom corner with the 'keeper going the wrong way and the home crowd enjoyed a glorious moment following the disappointingly predictable equaliser. It's the first maximum this season, and we're still unbeaten.

Next up on Saturday is another home tie, this time Chalfont St Peter the visitors. Chalfont have picked up 3 wins and a loss from their 4 games so far, so this should be a tough one based on opening form at least.
Surprised to see such a low crowd for your last game Jemfry, good for that level but seemed lower than you were getting.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
It was Beazer Homes when I first started watching Cheltenham. Happy days.
I remember watching your lot at Castle Field. How times have changed.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Surprised to see such a low crowd for your last game Jemfry, good for that level but seemed lower than you were getting.

It's about average really, maybe on the low end which can happen in August due to holidays etc.

The other factors which may play a part are the price increase on promotion, and the fact that the entrance to the club is a bit obscured because of the building works on a retail unit next to the ground. I'd expect these to have little impact though. We did have 530 for the only Saturday home game so far. We tend to average about that over a season.

I'd hope we'll push the average up over the bigger fixtures, especially the ones where we might even see an away crowd! ;)

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Well I failed to update this after we beat Chalfont St Peter last week, we saw them off 3-1 in a game we deserved to win, but a two goal margin might have flattered us. They were probably the strongest side we've played so far and have a fantastic player in the winger Victor Osobu who will get a massive haul if he stays at this level.

Now that we are through in the FA Cup, as are Bedford, this means that the bank holiday game can go ahead on Monday with no replays to remove the tie from the calendar. We played Bedford in the FA Cup last year, defeating them in a replay after a disappointing home performance we went there and utterly dominated them. Though that will clearly have no bearing on Monday's game.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
AFCR&D 2 - 0 Bedford Town

What the scoreline should have been: AFCR&D 7-0 Bedford Town.

That was a good game. Despite the rain we passed it around really well and totally dominated. We should have had about 5 in the second half alone, and in the first we were unlucky to go in at the break just one up. Scott Joseph got his first start, and a good goal for the second. Great to see someone playing with a smile on their face and he really was after that goal, though he really should have got another from his backside as he slid too early and the ball bobbled as he then shinned it over the bar from inside the 6 yard box. Pretty much everyone played well, including all the subs. Courtney Herbert was the only disappointment but when he was replaced by Lamb-Johnson we took a step up in quality.

Bedford weren't the best side we've played, but that doesn't matter. They weren't woeful either, and the victory does move us up above them.

We're playing good football on the floor. We're tightening up at the back and allowing fewer chances, and we're creating more going forwards. This has been a good first month at this level!

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Bit of a late update from me for this weekend.

North Greenford 1 - 3 AFCR&D

North Greenford were in all truth poor. Thankfully we won the toss and elected to go uphill in the first half on a pitch with a gradient close to that of Underhill. Greenford, who confusingly play in blue, were clearly well aware of this and employed a "shoot on sight" policy. It's a good thing for us that they were barely able to find the target as the slope clearly provided an advantage, as Finlay found out when a shot from distance that looked to be sailing over managed to dip and hit the bar. They did get the lead in the first half from a defensive mix up, with a short back pass met early as the striker closed Finlay down and the kick rebounded straight in to the net. Thankfully we were able to restore parity before the break as Tommy Berwick rose to place a volley in to the bottom corner with the side of the foot. Another goal resulting from a long throw!

The second half saw us take full advantage of the slope. We were far from our best in the first period, while we were brighter in the second half we were still far from our best. That said the opening goal of the half will be one for the end of season highlight reel as Elliot Lamb-Johnson smashed a shot in to the top corner from about 25 yards up the hill. This may or may not have been the precipitating factors as Diamonds took full control of the game, with the home side seemingly more interested in a game of "kick Claudiu". Not the first or last time it's going to happen this season, and Claudiu Hoban nearly had the last laugh. Hoban had to wait an age for the ball to come down from a cleared corner. He clearly only had the back of the net on his mind, with a clean strike the shot was on target, only for Scott Joseph to deflect it in and claim the goal for himself.

Happy with another good result despite a below par performance.

Tables don't mean anything at this stage of the season, so that's all I'll say about them right now...

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Gary Mills has resigned as manager of Rugby Town just hours before their FA Cup game at Ilkeston FC tomorrow

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Gary Mills has resigned as manager of Rugby Town just hours before their FA Cup game at Ilkeston FC tomorrow

Might want to check your threads as this is the Southern League one and those are a couple of Northern Premier League clubs... :p

That said, didn't last long did it?!? He'd only joined them in the summer.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Not much going on in the Southern League this weekend as all clubs were off from league action for FA Cup 1Q round.

If anyone wants to put updates on D1S&W or SLDP then feel free, otherwise I'm just going to keep talking to myself about SLD1C until someone joins me...

With most teams on 6/7 games the table still doesn't really mean anything, so there's no reason for us to talk about it right?!?... It will be a while before it really does begin to mean anything, maybe around Christmas. We're heavy in to cup season now, with the preliminary round of the FA Trophy coming up and a good number of teams still in the FA Cup after 2 rounds, meaning the table will start to have more games in hand before the weather starts to play it's part.

There are still 4 teams at the bottom looking for their first win, and while the table doesn't mean much a 6/7-match winless run at any point in the season is bad! (n.b. Fleet are only 5 having had a game called off for floodlight failure, though it's worth noting there were 4-0 down at the time). Bottom club Arlesey have only one point from their opening 7 fixtures and already look like they could be headed to the AGM cup with a rather telling -14 GD (next worst is -7). The top isn't quite so clear for a favourite with a number of clubs doing well, with the highest GD only +7, and practically no points at all separating the pack. 6 points dropped is already the best anyone has done unlike in some of the higher leagues, all in all it is looking like a tight division so far with 1/6 of the season gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!