Tell us about your last away day

hbk4894

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
the last away day i went to was Tranmere vs Bolton in August 2013 , set off at about 6pm (it was a 7.45pm kick off) got there about 7.05pm , parked in the car park near by and made about a 5 minute walk down to the ground , we lost on penalties so we got in the car park and went to the nearest petrol station after asking someone where it was and arrived home about 11.30pm.

The Southbank

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
went to the nearest petrol station after asking someone where it was and arrived home about 11.30pm.

Bouncing-Back.jpg

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
A 2 and a half hour Journey to Brackley Town. Parked up the car at the ground and went round the town a bit as I was early. Didnt even realize there was a pitch inspection. Fortunately it just about passed. We were dog shit first half and went 1-0 down. We then roasted them second half and won 4-1! Good day.

Looking forward to my next away day a week tomorrow at Curzon. A day in Manchester and a look round the National Football Museum before the game. :)

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Southport 0 - 4 Grimsby, got there about half 1 went in the working mans club right next to the ground, all a really friendly bunch in there.
My first time at Southport and i love their ground, if we are still down here next season i will definately be going back.
Strange game, we won 4 nil but pretty much scored every chance we had, highlight of 2nd half some of our younger fans rolling down the terrace in a big bin, and their 'toilet' which was so cramped that everybody ended up just pissing behind it against a fence, which meant one of the Southport cameramen missed the sending off at the end because he was also there taking a leak!
Next one i'm at is FC Halifax on 20th Feb, which should be a cracking atmosphere as it seems every man and his dog is planning on going.

The_Boss

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield FC
the last away day i went to was Tranmere vs Bolton in August 2013 , set off at about 6pm (it was a 7.45pm kick off) got there about 7.05pm , parked in the car park near by and made about a 5 minute walk down to the ground , we lost on penalties so we got in the car park and went to the nearest petrol station after asking someone where it was and arrived home about 11.30pm.
Are you James Milner?

Reginald Fodstain

Not Scouse
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I wish I'd gone on that away day.
I was there ;) From what I remember, Ian Goodison was immense and Notlob had two goals ruled for offside. My last away was a 1-1 draw at Halifax, haven't been arsed enough to go to any since.

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Woking vs. Halifax Town last Saturday, set off at about 7:20am got to a petrol station about 11:30am, went down to the ground at 2:35pm, we drew 1–1 and we went back to the car and arrived home about 9:15pm.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
With working Saturday mornings at the minute I've not managed to get to an away game since October when we drew 0-0 with Braintree. I had gone over to my best mates in York and we went from there but it was quite memorable afterwards and actually made the papers!

It’s all cheers for Grimsby Town fan Les Brechin and his colleagues at David Bury Electricals

“Be honest,” I groaned to my best mate Dave Cockrill as I pushed open the door to the pub. “Was that match really worth the journey?” The two of us had travelled all the way down from York to Braintree, Essex, to see our beloved Grimsby Town draw nil-nil against Braintree Town. It had taken hours and hours. We’d just got back to York in time to catch last orders. Dave, 45, grinned and shrugged. “That’s football,” he said. “Pint?”

I nodded. To be honest, I wasn’t really complaining. Ever since I survived an almost fatal brain tumour seven years ago, I’ve learnt to appreciate the little things in life, and not sweat the small stuff.

Although occasionally, something gets my goat. Like the Lotto. I’d pushed for our work lottery syndicate to swap from the Lotto to The Health Lottery. We’d been going 20 years and hadn’t had much luck at all. Given the fact you’re 21 times more likely to win the jackpot on The Health Lottery, the move seemed wise. Our first draw had taken place that evening.

Settling myself at a table, I got my phone out. There was an email. I clicked. ‘Congratulations!’ I read, ‘You have won The Health Lottery!’ The numbers danced in front of my eyes. It said £10,000. Now I’d had a few pints throughout the day, but I didn’t think I was drunk!

Dave planted the pint glasses on the table. “What’s up?” he asked, frowning at my bemused expression. “It says here my syndicate has won ten grand!” I snorted. “Probably a mistake or a scam.”

After sinking the pints, Dave and I went back to his house. We checked the numbers online. The email was correct! The cash was paid into my account, and I distributed it amongst our small syndicate at David Bury Electricals in Grimsby, where I work in the accounts department. I splashed out on a much-needed holiday with my brother Pete, 63, in Plockton, a stunning village near the Isle of Skye. There were some award-winning places to eat and drink, so we didn’t stint on enjoying ourselves. After all, it’s all about appreciating life’s blessings!

-----------------

I reckon another Saturday away day is well overdue!

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Went to the ASDA petrol station in North Hykeham (Lincoln) last week. filled up and bought a ginsters. Had to go in the shop to get it cos the petrol station is a pay at booth one which are shit. Tbh I was being a greedy fucker seeing as we'd already stopped off at "Back of the Net" to grab some cod n chips, but I thought I might want something when I got home. Also having had a few pints it was better to have a bit of food inside me so I could stay under the limit.

Next time I come to Lincoln *Removed by Moderator* before heading off home.

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
With working Saturday mornings at the minute I've not managed to get to an away game since October when we drew 0-0 with Braintree. I had gone over to my best mates in York and we went from there but it was quite memorable afterwards and actually made the papers!

It’s all cheers for Grimsby Town fan Les Brechin and his colleagues at David Bury Electricals

“Be honest,” I groaned to my best mate Dave Cockrill as I pushed open the door to the pub. “Was that match really worth the journey?” The two of us had travelled all the way down from York to Braintree, Essex, to see our beloved Grimsby Town draw nil-nil against Braintree Town. It had taken hours and hours. We’d just got back to York in time to catch last orders. Dave, 45, grinned and shrugged. “That’s football,” he said. “Pint?”

I nodded. To be honest, I wasn’t really complaining. Ever since I survived an almost fatal brain tumour seven years ago, I’ve learnt to appreciate the little things in life, and not sweat the small stuff.

Although occasionally, something gets my goat. Like the Lotto. I’d pushed for our work lottery syndicate to swap from the Lotto to The Health Lottery. We’d been going 20 years and hadn’t had much luck at all. Given the fact you’re 21 times more likely to win the jackpot on The Health Lottery, the move seemed wise. Our first draw had taken place that evening.

Settling myself at a table, I got my phone out. There was an email. I clicked. ‘Congratulations!’ I read, ‘You have won The Health Lottery!’ The numbers danced in front of my eyes. It said £10,000. Now I’d had a few pints throughout the day, but I didn’t think I was drunk!

Dave planted the pint glasses on the table. “What’s up?” he asked, frowning at my bemused expression. “It says here my syndicate has won ten grand!” I snorted. “Probably a mistake or a scam.”

After sinking the pints, Dave and I went back to his house. We checked the numbers online. The email was correct! The cash was paid into my account, and I distributed it amongst our small syndicate at David Bury Electricals in Grimsby, where I work in the accounts department. I splashed out on a much-needed holiday with my brother Pete, 63, in Plockton, a stunning village near the Isle of Skye. There were some award-winning places to eat and drink, so we didn’t stint on enjoying ourselves. After all, it’s all about appreciating life’s blessings!

-----------------

I reckon another Saturday away day is well overdue!

Don't be coy now. What times did you set off, arrive at Braintree, and get home for? And what petrol station did you use? Give the story a bit more colour.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
I went to see us play at Stevenage on Saturday. What occurred there didn't deserve to be called a football match...
No petrol stations for me as I took the train and then cycled to the ground. Apart from actually going to this match was my decision to play it safe and take the 12:58pm from Finsbury Park which meant I ended up spending an hour and three quarters in Stevenage, what a waste of that time! Now I know that I can take the 1:58pm and still get to the ground with plenty of time to spare..

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
Really looking forward to seeing what petrol stations I end up at now, on the way to and from Altrincham tomorrow. Full report to follow.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Don't be coy now. What times did you set off, arrive at Braintree, and get home for? And what petrol station did you use? Give the story a bit more colour.

Ha ha. Petrol station?? We were on the train, well 8 trains to be precise. York to Peterborough. (an hour in Peterborough for a Wethers brekkie), Peterborough to Ipswich (another 45 minutes in Ipswich for some more liquid refreshment), Ipswich to Witham, then Witham to Braintree and then the reverse.

We were quite fortunate going back as the train from Ipswich was 20 minutes late and we only had an 18 minute wait to catch the last train back from Peterborough to York. Thankfully the York train was a couple of minutes late and both trains pulled into Peterborough station at the same time so we hotfooted it over the bridge and just caught the York train with seconds to spare. If we had missed that train it would have meant going from Peterborough to Leeds, then Leeds to York and we wouldn't have got back to York until 2am!

It was a bit of a longwinded way of getting there but it worked out about £20 each cheaper doing it that way, rather than going into London and back out again, and it only took about 15 minutes longer.

Tom Fgr

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Last away day was Torquay United. Woke up in fantastic Christmas spirit. Went into Costa and got 2 coffees for me and the Mrs. Then briefly drove to torquay where I went to the local 'bensons for beds' store. We found a tempur cloud mattress, it was awesome. Then we went into a rather heaving Pc World, to look at further potential investments.(we got to Torquay questionably early) The clock was soon ticking, and it was time to make a move to the extremely beautiful Laura windows stadium. After a pile of shite game, and personally asking 2 players to come over for a chat, we left the ground furious that not only we lost, but we paid for parking when there was plenty of free street parking. We then headed back on the motorway, and found the nearest petrol station, which i believe was a BP.which had 'Krispy Kreme' donuts. I bought 2, I was so sad that I went back and bought a box of 12 glazed donuts for 8.95. That's how sad I was. Then I had a somewhat uneventful drive back. If anyone is still reading these (which I highly doubt) then well done. I then got home around 8 ish.

Aberstone

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
I left Luton at 11:15am with sat nav in tow to make the trip to Eastbourne. Allowing for brief stops in traffic at the M25/M4 junction and the M23 slip road I made it to the South Coast in good time. Parked up in a side street at 1:45pm and entered Eastbourne's clubhouse to catch the conclusion of the Norwich vs. Liverpool match, after paying £4 for the privilege of a Fosters Shandy and a pack of Quavers - the robbing bastards!

Entered the ground at around 2:50pm, grabbed myself a burger and a bovril and embarked on 2 hours of painful viewing.

Drive home took a fair bit longer as Brighton were home and the A27 was at a standstill at the AMEX. Still Danny Holmes, Mistajam and a Chicken Legend with BBQ Sauce from McDonalds at Cobham services kept me company until I arrived home at 8:05pm.

Sensibly I'd put petrol in the car on Thursday night so did not need any on the way there or back. There was a petrol station on the A23 charging 98.9p for a litre of unleaded for any of you petrol connoisseurs who want a cheap bargain.

yellow

Reaction score
Supports
Torquay
and it was time to make a move to the extremely beautiful Laura windows stadium.

we left the ground furious that not only we lost, but we paid for parking when there was plenty of free street parking.

a) Who's Laura Windows and can I see a pic?

b) :lol: where on earth did you park!?

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Bloody Torquay, got kicked out of 2 shitty clubs for absolutely nothing last time I went, and was so off my face I ended up sleeping in a skip. And to top it off we lost and had Stuart Fleetwood sent off.

Tom Fgr

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
a) Who's Laura Windows and can I see a pic?

b) :lol: where on earth did you park!?

In the excitement of posting, I mispelled launa windows. I paid to park outside the community centre, paid a extortionate fee if around 3.00. I've barely calmed down since

The_Boss

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield FC
Can someone please remember this when it comes to thread of the season voting!!!

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Can someone please remember this when it comes to thread of the season voting!!!

There is no way this is beating the Garry Hill thread in any category...

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
Eastleigh, January 2015. We stopped at a motorway service station around Oxford. I twice opened my car door onto the considerably posher car next to us. The occupants were so upper-middle class that the driver said "Careful" and "good grief man". On the way back from the match we stopped at the petrol station nearest Eastleigh's ground. There was quite a queue as there was only one person serving. A great weekend.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Braintree, Oct 15, like Les. Couldn't get in until 3:05 because there was a queue of about 100 people with two turnstiles open. Game was an abomination. We stopped at a Cambridge? Services on the way which was pretty awesome. Had everything like Noodles and Mexican. I got noodles. Caramel and sweet n sour chicken :hail:. We bought sweets and chocolate pudding from M&S and ate it in the car. We didn't get petrol. Our car takes diesel.

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
I left Luton at 11:15am with sat nav in tow to make the trip to Eastbourne. Allowing for brief stops in traffic at the M25/M4 junction and the M23 slip road I made it to the South Coast in good time. Parked up in a side street at 1:45pm and entered Eastbourne's clubhouse to catch the conclusion of the Norwich vs. Liverpool match, after paying £4 for the privilege of a Fosters Shandy and a pack of Quavers - the robbing bastards!

Entered the ground at around 2:50pm, grabbed myself a burger and a bovril and embarked on 2 hours of painful viewing.

Drive home took a fair bit longer as Brighton were home and the A27 was at a standstill at the AMEX. Still Danny Holmes, Mistajam and a Chicken Legend with BBQ Sauce from McDonalds at Cobham services kept me company until I arrived home at 8:05pm.

Sensibly I'd put petrol in the car on Thursday night so did not need any on the way there or back. There was a petrol station on the A23 charging 98.9p for a litre of unleaded for any of you petrol connoisseurs who want a cheap bargain.

An impeccable report detailing all the crucial points of a proper away day. Do you write for a living?

Grimsby away in 2013/14 was a cracker. Set off at 5pm, got there at 7:00pm because my driver decided going over the Humber Bridge was the better way and got disgruntled by the toll. Left at 10pm after a bit of dancing down the streets, got back at 11:30pm. No petrol stops, but it didn't need them.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
I went to Oxford for our Super Sunday clash last week, actually it was the week before if I'm being totally accurate. I picked up my friend in Chepstow, I live in South Wales at the moment you see. We proceeded over the Severn bridge ( the old one and my personal favourite although the fancy Dan " new " one does have its charms) Anyhoo I digress( apologies) we encountered some fairly heavy traffic ( for a Sunday morning) but to be fair there was a major boot sale going on. We were tempted to have a quick perusal and perhaps purchase some treasures but common sense prevailed:hypo: and we ploughed on. We arrived in Oxford with plenty of time to spare and a fairly heated discussion occurred about whether it was too early for lunch ( ridiculous imvho), common sense prevailed and we adjourned for a burger and chips. We got to the ground for about 2.52 with very little hassle( well done Oxford! ) and enjoyed the game although one of my friends was rather rude about their missing stand and seemed intent on questioning the parentage of many of the Oxford supporters. In his defence he is a bit of a "lad" ( even if he is a bit old for it imo:ffs:)

I will post the story of our glorious victory and entertaining journey home at a later date. Always leave 'em wanting more is what I always say. Thanks for reading x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!