The Bolton (Promotion) Thread 2020/21

Roger Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Just reading the last couple of pages of this thread about the quality of the league this season, I’ve seen nobody so far that’s anywhere near the quality of the Crewe and Swindon teams of last season that demolished us. Obviously I can only gauge that on the one game against us but so far no team has been anywhere near either of those two, I’d say Exeter looked the most impressive to me of all the teams around the top 7.
Views can be blurred and depend a lot on how your team has performed against the so-called better teams - last year we beat Swindon home and away, Crewe and Plymouth at home. Since getting back into the FL in 2013 my over-riding view is that margins between success and failure are slim. There are usually 18-20 teams much of a muchness. Can count on the fingers of one hand the number of teams when I've thought shit they're good eg Portsmouth 16/17. Whereas usually there are a couple of basket cases struggling at the bottom each season, ourselves included.
Best teams I've seen this season Carlisle or Walsall. Worst Stevenage by a mile.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
just wondered as you seem to think we lose to everybody
out of interest masi51 what's your opinion of George Thomason - local Barrow lad who broke into your 1st team recently.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
out of interest masi51 what's your opinion of George Thomason - local Barrow lad who broke into your 1st team recently.
He was widely tipped to return to where he came from [ North west counties league] We signed him last season then loaned him out straightaway.He was then loaned out to Bamber Bridge at the start of this season.
The thing with going there he was training Monday to Friday with our first team and Evatt liked what he seen.
Football got curtailed in October and Evatt recalled him. He give him his Debut last month at the debacle that was the hammering by Port Vale.
He always shows and wants the ball, very comfortable and picks a pass. Still think he is still growing and i think Evatt will get him in the Gym to bulk up a little. Scored against Carlisle also hit the post.
Still only 18 and one of the plusses for this season.
Proberbly ended Whites loan deal with us......head and shoulders better than White

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
He was widely tipped to return to where he came from [ North west counties league] We signed him last season then loaned him out straightaway.He was then loaned out to Bamber Bridge at the start of this season.
The thing with going there he was training Monday to Friday with our first team and Evatt liked what he seen.
Football got curtailed in October and Evatt recalled him. He give him his Debut last month at the debacle that was the hammering by Port Vale.
He always shows and wants the ball, very comfortable and picks a pass. Still think he is still growing and i think Evatt will get him in the Gym to bulk up a little. Scored against Carlisle also hit the post.
Still only 18 and one of the plusses for this season.
Proberbly ended Whites loan deal with us......head and shoulders better than White
cheers for that - I know some of his relatives so just wondered what the fans thought.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
just wondered as you seem to think we lose to everybody
Yeah we’ve not done great against you that’s fair to say.
We did get a 3-3 draw at your place in around 93/94 that felt like a win.
We’d gone 2-0 up in the first 10 minutes and then for the rest of the game you absolutely battered us and we were down to 10 men (Livvo sent off for an elbow) and we were hanging on for a draw at 2-2.
Then you went 3-2 up right near the end around 87/88 mins and I was gutted.
Then in injury time we equalised from a scramble after a corner and we went absolutely crackers, sat in your home end too but we didn’t give a shit.
Happy days.

Edit: Here it is, check out the quality of Jobling’s shot for our second goal too. :eyes:

Last edited:

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Reading this thread about which teams have looked good is interesting. It really is a mixed bag simply because even the teams at the top of this level can be good one week then utter shite the following week.

The best teams I’ve seen against us are Tranmere and Cheltenham. But barrow fans would say Cheltenham are one of the worst. A Crawley fan would probably say Carlisle looked an impressive team, yet a Cambridge or a Grimsby fan would say Carlisle are a terrible or bang average team.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Reading this thread about which teams have looked good is interesting. It really is a mixed bag simply because even the teams at the top of this level can be good one week then utter shite the following week.

The best teams I’ve seen against us are Tranmere and Cheltenham. But barrow fans would say Cheltenham are one of the worst. A Crawley fan would probably say Carlisle looked an impressive team, yet a Cambridge or a Grimsby fan would say Carlisle are a terrible or bang average team.
Yeah after our game I was having words with a Carlisle fan gobbing off on Twitter and I said that Carlisle were in a false position near the top and would finish mid table as they were poor against us, but since then they have been ultra consistent so I’m presuming it was just a blip against us.
Thankfully the guy hasn’t requoted me on it where I told him that both Carlisle and Grimsby would finish close together in mid table. :bg:

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

I remember the Cambridge fans saying they didn't think we were that bad after losing 3-0 to them.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Yeah after our game I was having words with a Carlisle fan gobbing off on Twitter and I said that Carlisle were in a false position near the top and would finish mid table as they were poor against us, but since then they have been ultra consistent so I’m presuming it was just a blip against us.
Thankfully the guy hasn’t requoted me on it where I told him that both Carlisle and Grimsby would finish close together in mid table. :bg:
That could easily still happen.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I remember the Cambridge fans saying they didn't think we were that bad after losing 3-0 to them.

if I remember right, we weren’t bad in the middle of the pitch that day, but hopeless at both ends. Terrible goalkeeping, weak defending and toothless attacking play.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
That could easily still happen.

What after we've just signed Bennett up for the rest of the season? I don't think so.

If we don't at the very least finish in the top 7 this season then it will either be because of the biggest injury crisis ever or a mad conspiracy of the board not wanting us to get promoted.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
What after we've just signed Bennett up for the rest of the season? I don't think so.

If we don't at the very least finish in the top 7 this season then it will either be because of the biggest injury crisis ever or a mad conspiracy of the board not wanting us to get promoted.
Exactly. So could easily happen. The season is not even half done. Lots of things could happen, bad luck, bad decisions, many things. What if we were to lose beech and replace him with a complete clown of a manager? Pressley took us from 4th to mid table in less time than what’s left of this season.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum

Why do you think you're so good? You realise you're only 5 points ahead of 7th and they have a game in hand? We have 2 games in hand which could put us 2 points behind you..

The league is very close. We aren't even halfway through. Nobody is guaranteed a top 7 spot yet. You're not running away with it at all. Lose 2 on the bounce and teams win their games in hand and you'll be out the play offs.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Mansfield will make the playoffs.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Mansfield will make the playoffs.

Not even crossing my mind, I know we have won three in a row, but two of them (Scunthorpe and Port Vale) were dreadful. The three games before that we were pretty poor too, although we are pretty difficult to beat, love a draw too much!

Clough wants 3-4 going in both directions this transfer window, so I do think we will continue to improve anyway!

Keeping Lapslie will be important now because Clough has found that the midfield of Lapslie, Charsley, Maris and Ollie Clarke is working really well, and considering not one of them is a winger that's decent.

Last edited:

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Nice to see you tonk Wellens last night!

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Nice to see you tonk Wellens last night!

Came across a bit of a knobhead on his post match, he said we played well but then tried to suggest it was completely down to the poor pitch, and we 'played to the pitch well' when in reality we actually played some good football, and 2-1 completely flattered them.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Came across a bit of a knobhead on his post match, he said we played well but then tried to suggest it was completely down to the poor pitch, and we 'played to the pitch well' when in reality we actually played some good football, and 2-1 completely flattered them.
Doesn’t like losing - which isn’t a bad trait I suppose. Wonder if they stick with him if they fail this season. Next season they can’t be throwing the money around.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Why do you think you're so good? You realise you're only 5 points ahead of 7th and they have a game in hand? We have 2 games in hand which could put us 2 points behind you..

The league is very close. We aren't even halfway through. Nobody is guaranteed a top 7 spot yet. You're not running away with it at all. Lose 2 on the bounce and teams win their games in hand and you'll be out the play offs.
The main thing that gives me confidence is how inconsistent the rest of the division is. FGR have remained decent throughout but Newport have been on middling form for a while and Cheltenham's form has dropped off a cliff. You were the other team I saw as being up there and while postponed matches mean I think you're in a false position outside the playoffs your form remains a bit inconsistent, likewise Cambridge who keep falling away then coming back.

The other teams I thought were going to really threaten our position in the automatic places, Salford, Bolton and Tranmere look good on their day and were storming up the league a bit ago but the wind has gone out of their sails.

We've been on decent form for a while now and it's only really because of a poor start to the season that we've taken so long to establish ourselves in the automatic promotion chase. Had we started the season like this we'd have a comfortable cushion by now.

If we do lose two on the bounce, something that is admittedly possible given a tough run of fixtures in February, I can't see all of those teams I've mentioned going on winning runs and dumping us outside the top 7. Outside the automatic places maybe but not the playoffs.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

Because he’s carver.

We aren’t by any means this unbeatable best team in the league that carver thinks we are. We’ve lost 6 games, more than Exeter, nearly a third of the games we’ve played have been defeats. We’re only top because other teams games got postponed.

We’re doing very well, much better than anyone could have expected. But Carver is getting way ahead of himself.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
BREAKING NEWS: Chinese zodiac calendar animal for 2021 to be amended.

Government officials in China have today declared they will break hundreds of years of tradition and strip 2021 of its Ox status. General Secretary of the Communist Party, Xi Jinping, held a press conference earlier today and stated "We've been monitoring the situation at Field Mill closely and now that Cloughie is on board, Charlton look set to allow Lapslie to extend his loan until the end of the season and even Bowery is banging them in, the party voted unanimously to do the right thing and declare 2021 as the inaugural Year of the Stag." Sales of amber and blue dog scarves are expected to rocket within the East Asian market following the announcement. More to follow.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Because he’s carver.

We aren’t by any means this unbeatable best team in the league that carver thinks we are. We’ve lost 6 games, more than Exeter, nearly a third of the games we’ve played have been defeats. We’re only top because other teams games got postponed.

We’re doing very well, much better than anyone could have expected. But Carver is getting way ahead of himself.

Mate, mate, listen..

I never said we were unbeatable I can clearly see that we've lost some games because that's football we can't win them all, but I do believe we are the best team in the league not only because we're TOP but also because of the way we play and there's not one team I've seen us play so far that have looked superior and had us looking shaky apart from Bolton for about 5 minutes.

The teams that did beat us well they either caught us on a rare off day or we had a load of key players out injured or on international duty, yes international duty.

Oh and we've won more games than anyone else by the way and Exeter could easily lose those games in hand and unlike them no one has put 5 past us either!!

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd

Well I think we're so good because we're top of the league and won more games than any other team and no other team scares us, especially you lot who bottle your chances of going up each season.

Plus we don't have to resort to using dirty tricks to intentionally get players sent off if we can't handle them. :fing:

Only tinpot teams do that.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I hate to think how good we must have been to beat the Mighty Carlisle United. We're a team that can't even beat Stevenage at home!!

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Well I think we're so good because we're top of the league and won more games than any other team and no other team scares us, especially you lot who bottle your chances of going up each season.

Plus we don't have to resort to using dirty tricks to intentionally get players sent off if we can't handle them. :fing:

Didn't you get a Bolton player get sent off just after they equalised in the 90th minute after being 3-0 down to you recently?

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Carver, you’re acting like that Rotherham fan a few years back, SERAWA or something? You’re like masi was at the start of the season. Wind it in for fuck sake. You’re just setting yourself up for a massive fall. We’re having a good spell but it could easily go tits up. We’ve got a tough tough run of fixtures coming up against teams we’ve already lost to this season. Cease and fucking decist!

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum

Dirty tricks? Straight red all day hahaha

You're not top on ppg, you're top because you've played more than the teams around you. We ain't even half way through the season, yet you think you're good enough and deserve a top 7 finish already. Not every team has even played everyone yet. Rather embarrassing. It's incredibly close at the top, not sure why you think you're a standout club, you're not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!