The First Ever Official ‘GOING FOR IT’ Thread

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Biggest surprise of the season so far - Barrow, nobody else comes close.
Biggest disappointment of the season so far - Salford and Bradford
Best side you’ve faced - Mansfield
Worst side you’ve faced - Quite a few to pick from but will go with Newport
Side you think will turn a corner - Grimsby
Top 3 - Mansfield, Stockport, Wrexham :£
Bottom 2 - FGR and Sutton.

Gi Dalor

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Biggest surprise of the season so far - Crawley.
Nearly everybody expected them to finish bottom. Their signings were largely non-league. They let go pretty much everyone who was considered to be their top players, and signed a bunch of nobodies, many of whom are playing the best football of their careers by a country mile. They're operating within their financial means. WAGMi Utd have stopped shooting themselves in the foot. Most people know that Barrow can be successful for half a season. Nobody believed in Crawley.
Biggest disappointment of the season so far - Salford. They'd improved season by season. They'd finally stopped sacking their managers and were building their way to success. I know they've had injuries, but they've just fallen off a cliff.
Best side you’ve faced - I don't think we can credit Notts County for one half of football, although they did us a big favour in showing what wasn't going to work for us. MK Dons haven't really seemed to press on from that early honeymoon under Mike Williamson, but they looked great that one night.
Worst side you’ve faced - Forest Green, I think. I have the feeling that I'm missing somebody even worse, so it will be interesting to see if other city fans job my memory. of course, we've faced some of the worst L2 ides ever , but we lost to them all.
Side you think will turn a corner - I'd say that Grimsby have already turned that corner. I think that Forest Green will survive, although I don't expect them to so it particularly impressively.
Top 3 - Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield
Bottom 2 - Colchester, Sutton.

Reremnart

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers/Pittsburgh Steelers
Biggest surprise of the season so far - Barrow. Having played them first game of the season when they beat us with a wildly deflected goal and a worldie which were their only 2 shots on target being second best for much of the game I though they would do well to finish in the top half but fair play to them

Biggest disappointment of the season so far - Gillingham. I predicted them to go up after their cash injection and all their signings but although they like to knock it about they have very little up front from what I have seen, and Bradford. I really expected more from them this season but they look better on paper than on the pitch sadly for their fans.

Best side you’ve faced - Notts County looked a very good side when we played them at Meadow Lane in September but it looks like the wheels are beginnng to come off.

Worst side you’ve faced - Forest Green. They were shocking at Prenton Park a few weeks back and were lucky to get away with only a 3-0 defeat.

Side you think will turn a corner - Hopefully us. Now we have a decent manager instead of Dawes, given a couple of signing in the window and Luke Norris coming back we should push up into mid table and possibly give it a good go next season

Top 3 Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield
Bottom 2 Sutton and Forest Green

Last edited:

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Glad nobody is tipping us for top 3 (trying to get back under the radar again)

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Biggest surprise of the season so far - can’t see past Barrow, although I do think they’ll finish outside of the play-offs

Biggest disappointment of the season so far - the obvious one is my club, Bradford City. Externally, Salford. They have some great players on paper.

Best side you’ve faced - no one has stood out. I’m yet to attend/watch a game and think, phoaar, they’re a bit good. Morecambe perhaps because they dicked us 3-0, but I think it was more to do with how shit we were than anything else.

Worst side you’ve faced - probably FRG

Side you think will turn a corner - us! Just depends on how the team react after their next loss. Elsewhere; Tranmere.

Top 3 - 1 or 2 of the current top 7 will fall away. Mansfield and Barrow. As for top three, Stockport, Wrexham and Bradford

Bottom 2 - Sutton and FGR

Pilot_Phonic

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Biggest surprise of the season so far - Barrow - Like an elephant up a tree. It's there but not sure on how it got there.
Biggest disappointment of the season so far - MK Dons. Expected a lot more the way they trounced us on the opening day, especially 3 months before we had 2 divisions apart, and they caught us cold. Leko and Eisa on top form that day thinking we need players like them to survive.
Best side you’ve faced - Stockport. Yeah we got smashed 5-0 and most of the goals conceded were from our own mistakes, but when presented with 5 chances, and took all of them, and ran at us, can't really knock them.
Worst side you’ve faced - Tranmere - local derby with absolutely zero passion or idea on what to do with that white round thing. We only won 1-0 but it was a matter of when, not if, we'd score. Special mention to Swindon - 4-1 up at half time and conceding 2 in injury time to grab a draw. incredible scenes (again!)
Side you think will turn a corner - Grimsby - new manager in charge and get them playing football again.
Top 3 - Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield.
Bottom 2 - FGR and Sutton. Colchester playing catch up to them 2, 10 men on the weekend for 70+ mins and didn't have a clue what to do.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Biggest surprise: Crawley expected them to be cut adrift by now before the season started.
Biggest disappointment of the season so far: Wrexham, thought they would have won the League by now! (Joke) has to be Salford.
Best side you have faced: I would say Mansfield, even though we got a point they totally outplayed us, we may have lost heavily in other games but we didn’t compete in those, we turned up against Mansfield and really got battered.
Worst side you’ve faced: Colchester nothing more to say.
Side you think will turn a corner: I’m hoping it’s us but aside from that Grimsby.
Top 3: Stockport, Wrexham, MK Dons.
Bottom 2: Sutton, FGR.

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Biggest surprise of the season so far -

Plenty of choices. Us, definitely. Expected to be bottom 8, sat in the play-offs all season. Morecambe, expected to be in the bottom 4, consistently top half on a shoestring budget. Barrow, people said play-off dark at best, but now competing for the top 3. Wimbledon under Jackson, thought he was hopeless but he's assembled a decent team there.

Morecambe take it, how they've managed to scrabble together a squad of cast offs, misfits and young loanees and turned into a decent team is baffling. Fair play to them.

Biggest disappointment of the season so far -

Salford, MK Dons, Doncaster, Grimsby, all good shouts. MK Dons at the moment for sure given the amount of top end talent in their squad, although they are starting to look like the Dons of old, so the rest of the league needs to watch out.

Best side you’ve faced -

Stockport probably take it, although bizarrely we've made a lot of teams look good against us. Mansfield, Swindon, Wimbledon, Colchester, Doncaster, Accrington. Stockport just snuffed us out and gave us no attacking joy at all.

Worst side you’ve faced -

FGR. Just nothing about them at all and a horrible weakness defensively. Most other teams have shown flashes of potential and ability, they just had nothing.

Side you think will turn a corner -

Bradford. They look a decent team all of a sudden under Alexander and I think they'll get the chequebook out in January to make up for the shite Hughes left them with. Think they are well in with a shout of the top 7.

Top 3 -

Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield. Can't disagree with this. The likes of us, Morecambe and Barrow might suffer at the end of the season from small squad and smaller budgets. These 3 should be able to strengthen in January and put a hold on the top 3.

Bottom 2

FGR and Sutton. Both look hopeless, but Colchester, Salford and Donny aren't out of it yet. Nor are Tranmere, they've had a good run of form, but could still get dragged back into it.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Biggest surprise of the season so far -

Plenty of choices. Us, definitely. Expected to be bottom 8, sat in the play-offs all season. Morecambe, expected to be in the bottom 4, consistently top half on a shoestring budget. Barrow, people said play-off dark at best, but now competing for the top 3. Wimbledon under Jackson, thought he was hopeless but he's assembled a decent team there.

Morecambe take it, how they've managed to scrabble together a squad of cast offs, misfits and young loanees and turned into a decent team is baffling. Fair play to them.

Biggest disappointment of the season so far -

Salford, MK Dons, Doncaster, Grimsby, all good shouts. MK Dons at the moment for sure given the amount of top end talent in their squad, although they are starting to look like the Dons of old, so the rest of the league needs to watch out.

Best side you’ve faced -

Stockport probably take it, although bizarrely we've made a lot of teams look good against us. Mansfield, Swindon, Wimbledon, Colchester, Doncaster, Accrington. Stockport just snuffed us out and gave us no attacking joy at all.

Worst side you’ve faced -

FGR. Just nothing about them at all and a horrible weakness defensively. Most other teams have shown flashes of potential and ability, they just had nothing.

Side you think will turn a corner -

Bradford. They look a decent team all of a sudden under Alexander and I think they'll get the chequebook out in January to make up for the shite Hughes left them with. Think they are well in with a shout of the top 7.

Top 3 -

Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield. Can't disagree with this. The likes of us, Morecambe and Barrow might suffer at the end of the season from small squad and smaller budgets. These 3 should be able to strengthen in January and put a hold on the top 3.

Bottom 2

FGR and Sutton. Both look hopeless, but Colchester, Salford and Donny aren't out of it yet. Nor are Tranmere, they've had a good run of form, but could still get dragged back into it.

We won't be getting the cheque book out next month.

The only significant incoming will probably be the recall of our own player Jake Young.

GA wanting to trim the squad. The size of our squad is ridiculously big for a league 2 side.

Tinpot and proud

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow
No strengthening required really for us in Jan, we’ve plenty of depth and basically two first team squads....don’t know why some folk are saying we may fade away due to small squad and depth ?
We may fade away a little if the big boys go depth crazy with the fat wallets

Gunit

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton
Biggest surprise of the season so far - Crawley
Biggest disappointment of the season so far - Sutton
Best side you’ve faced - Stockport
Worst side you’ve faced - Morecambe
Side you think will turn a corner - Bradford
Top 3 Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield
Bottom 2 FGR, Colchester (wishful thinking)

Meadow

Not a lad
Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
Biggest surprise of the season so far - Barrow.
Biggest disappointment of the season so far - Sutton.
Best side you’ve faced - Accrington.
Worst side you’ve faced - Tranmere.
Side you think will turn a corner - Bradford.
Top 3 Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield.
Bottom 2 FGR, Sutton (sadly).

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Biggest surprise- Crawley. Only because everyone said they were a basket case.
Biggest disappointment- Bradford. Big club, playoffs last season, terrible start to the season.
Best side faced- Mansfield, strong, assured, just looked a good bet for promotion. We haven't played Stockport yet.
Worst side faced- Newport. Pretty much our only easy never in doubt win of the season. They offered nothing.
Side you think will turn a corner- MK Dons and Bradford already have so I'll go for Salford. It may take a different manager but there are too many good players to not hit form at some point.
Top 3. -Stockport, Mansfield, Wrexham. All have managers with promotions, all have big budgets, all have the squads in place to see the season through.
Bottom 2.- Sutton, Colchester. Hope Sutton survive, Matt Gray has done wonders but I'm not sure they will. Colchester have been circling for a few seasons, remind me of us before we sunk.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Biggest surprise of the season so far:
Morecambe not being in the relegation zone given they had about 4 players at the start of August.

Biggest disappointment of the season so far
I think I had Bradford and Swindon to be up near the top.

Best side you’ve faced
Stockport had an easy afternoon against us (though we should’ve been playing against 10 men…).

Worst side you’ve faced
Probably Walsall, and by all accounts Colchester and Swindon were also terrible - the last three we’ve faced.

Side you think will turn a corner
MK Dons to recapture early season form.

Top 3
Stockport, Wrexham, Crewe - I think we’ll scrape into the play-offs.

Bottom 2
Forest Green, Sutton

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Biggest surprise of the season so far - Like many others have said, has to be Barrow. I rate Wild and their squad looked solid enough but I expected them to be midtable rather than up in the top 3 at the midway point.
Biggest disappointment of the season so far - Salford should be promotion contenders given their resources.
Best side you’ve faced - Stockport I think the scoreline flattered them but they were easily better than us and looked strong when we played them. Mansfield came a close second but in our league game they were badly missing a striker.
Worst side you’ve faced - Tranmere. Absolutely wretched.
Side you think will turn a corner - MK Dons - this is already happening I think, but they looked a decent side when we played them and Williamson was a smart appointment. Also Tranmere who are a better team than they were when we played them.
Top 3- Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield
Bottom 2- Sutton, FGR

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Biggest surprise of the season so far - Crawley - expected Barrow to do well having seen how good Wild was in the National League, but even then they've done better than I thought.

Biggest disappointment of the season so far - Assumed you could pencil in Salford for top seven at the start tbh.

Best side you’ve faced - Mansfield. By absolutely miles as well. Obviously not played Stockport yet, though.

Worst side you’ve faced - Newport were particularly bad.

Side you think will turn a corner - Grimsby, think Artell is a good manager and they've got some good players.

Top 3 - Stockport, Mansfield and Wrexham.

Bottom 2 - Sutton and Forest Green.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Biggest surprise of the season so far - Crawley, think nearly all of us had them bottom 2 on the league prediction.

Biggest disappointment of the season so far - Bradford so far after last seasons play off campaign, still plenty of time left I suppose. I would say Salford but I wouldn’t class them being toss as a disappointment.

Best side you’ve faced - Wrexham for me, played them twice (1 in the fa cup) they were very organised and defensively brilliant against us in the league game and played some great football on a horrendous pitch in the cup.

Worst side you’ve faced - Harrogate, we had about 40 shots in that game. Ridiculous

Side you think will turn a corner - Bradford, Started well under Alexander. There’s always one side that comes from the bottom half and gets into the play offs isn’t there?

Top 3 - Wrexham top, Stockport 2nd, Mansfield 3rd

Bottom 2 - Sutton and Forest Green.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Still too early to say I told you so?
Possibly, our injury list is absolutely ridiculous and has been all season. I know we definitely have 2 new signings coming in on the first of January but we need another 3 minimum that are a) not injured and b) can tackle. We have a lot of players who need to be gone from the club. Let’s see how January pans out before I agree with you

Birmingham Rover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
Possibly, our injury list is absolutely ridiculous and has been all season. I know we definitely have 2 new signings coming in on the first of January but we need another 3 minimum that are a) not injured and b) can tackle. We have a lot of players who need to be gone from the club. Let’s see how January pans out before I agree with you
Still too early to say I told you so?
This aged like milk!

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I think we’d give it a go but the budgets that the likes of wrexham, gillingham and county will have will probably blow us out the water.

It’s going to be a tough league and they’ll be plenty of sides who’ll be disappointed.

There’s also sides who’ve every capability like swindon and tranmere who had poor seasons by their standards who i’m sure will be making a better fist of it.

Turns out swindon and tranmere didn’t make a better fist of it :ffs: :blush:

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Been around all season fella, up and down the country. Just because I don’t spend my life posting on this forum doesn’t mean I wasn’t around
I meant on this forum, dead easy to make a snide comment after the fact and you must spend sometime to troll through the posts to find it

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
And he mysteriously starts posting again when Donny win 9 in a row but his internet wasn’t working when they were down near the bottom. :D

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I'm just hoping for a season of consolidation and trying to avoid the dreaded double drop
1713705254988.gif

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I was hoping nobody had either remembered, or noticed, that comment...guess the answer was they did.

Should I avoid saying at the start of next season that my main wish is to avoid the triple drop...or would that be tempting fate?
When I clicked on the thread it brought the first page up that’s the only reason I spotted it.

Birmingham Rover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
And he mysteriously starts posting again when Donny win 9 in a row but his internet wasn’t working when they were down near the bottom. :D
I knew it wouldn’t take long before you had a nibble! To think you even bothered posting in this thread as a Grimsby fan :lol::lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!