The L2 Playoffs

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I saw the post match interviews. God knows where you got the job done vibe from. Just about everyone - McKirdy and Williams plus Garner all said it’s only job half done.
'We've won the game which is great and we're going to do the same on Thursday now - win the second leg'.....sounds like a man who thinks it's already done to me. Not 'we're hoping' or 'we'll try'

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Not going to lie, it’s going to be tough on Thursday but it does look as though we are the team in form

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
'We've won the game which is great and we're going to do the same on Thursday now - win the second leg'.....sounds like a man who thinks it's already done to me. Not 'we're hoping' or 'we'll try'
You’ve obviously missed “ and we’re going to do the same on Thursday…….. and then we have 9 days to prepare for Wembley “, although he didn’t say that. It just sounds like confidence to me, however if you feel that this will be fuel for Clarke’s team talk then run with that

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
You’ve obviously missed “ and we’re going to do the same on Thursday…….. and then we have 9 days to prepare for Wembley “, although he didn’t say that. It just sounds like confidence to me, however if you feel that this will be fuel for Clarke’s team talk then run with that
It just lacked humility. Better would have been to say ' We know it's only half way and the game on Thursday will be tough but we're going to go there to try and win, as we have today '. Perhaps I'm being too sensitive but there seemed to be an air of cock sureness and arrogance that didn't sit well with me. Aided and abetted by some incredibly biased Sky coverage.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The point is that Ben Garner doesn’t have overall control of any transfer budget. The DOF Ben Chorley will have that with some minimal input from BG
I don't really understand your post. The manager never does

T.A

Reaction score
Supports
Berry
It just lacked humility. Better would have been to say ' We know it's only half way and the game on Thursday will be tough but we're going to go there to try and win, as we have today '. Perhaps I'm being too sensitive but there seemed to be an air of cock sureness and arrogance that didn't sit well with me. Aided and abetted by some incredibly biased Sky coverage.
It’s classic English behaviour to dislike anything or anyone that has confidence. It’s why most of us are glum as fuck and that’s on a good day.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Haven’t seen what any of them said other than some short clip of McKirdy when asked about scoring against his former club said something along the lines of ‘I never got the chance to play for them so they’re not really a former club’. Obviously there’s a reason he didn’t but can’t argue with what he’s achieved since.

DC in any case just love his honesty. Think he’s laid down the standard he expects on Thursday.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
It’s up to Swindon if they want to be arrogant, cocky or vice versa or whatever really, that’s their prerogative, we’ve got to focus on ourselves regardless.

We beat ourselves a bit today, did most things right to the game plan but then Smith does that to give a corner away, and no one marks the little man for a free header.

Stone parries a shot back into the danger zone when he should push it round the post.

We’ve got to get them things right on Thursday but it’s that kind of shooting ourselves in the foot that’s cost us this season.

Overall the stats were pretty even bar the one that mattered the most.

At home with a big home crowd it’s going to be up to us to put in a performance, we’ve had some bloops but at times some great fight and character to pull games around and no reason we can’t in this one but we’ve got to cut the mistakes at the back which have been hindering us for much of the past few weeks.

Frustratingly we are down to the bare bones a bit which isn’t helping and there’s not a lot of options with no DJ, Walker or Hussey.

We wanted to stay in the tie, first play off tie at VP in 3 decades so we’ve got that let’s hope for a massive shift, sounds like DC have them a bit of a roasting at FT so see how we react. We’ve got to want it at the end of the day, we’ve blown the automatics when we should see it through and if we blow this as well we can’t blame hard luck stories when mentally you haven’t done the business. We’ve had more than enough chances to have avoided this altogether and been sat with a cigar watching these from the sun lounger.

To lose 1 in 19 then 4 in 5 is typical Vale but we always go the hard road.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It’s up to Swindon if they want to be arrogant, cocky or vice versa or whatever really, that’s their prerogative, we’ve got to focus on ourselves regardless.

We beat ourselves a bit today, did most things right to the game plan but then Smith does that to give a corner away, and no one marks the little man for a free header.

Stone parries a shot back into the danger zone when he should push it round the post.

We’ve got to get them things right on Thursday but it’s that kind of shooting ourselves in the foot that’s cost us this season.

At home with a big home crowd it’s going to be up to us to put in a performance, we’ve had some bloops but at times some great fight and character to pull games around and no reason we can’t in this one but we’ve got to cut the mistakes at the back which have been hindering us for much of the past few weeks.

Frustratingly we are down to the bare bones a bit which isn’t helping and there’s not a lot of options with no DJ, Walker or Hussey.

We wanted to stay in the tie, first play off tie at VP in 3 decades so we’ve got that let’s hope for a massive shift, sounds like DC have them a bit of a roasting at FT so see how we react. We’ve got to want it at the end of the day, we’ve blown the automatics when we should see it through and if we blow this as well we can’t blame hard luck stories when mentally you haven’t done the business. We’ve had more than enough chances to have avoided this altogether and been sat with a cigar watching these from the sun lounger.

I think that game against us was the turning point. Had you won that you may well have gone on to get 3rd. All ifs and maybes, just gotta tonk Swindon now...... the whole season rests on it and im sure thats what DC will be ramming home to his players

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

I think that's a good assessment.

With Conlon and Walker in that midfield, we would have won today and in fact would have been promoted by now.

We're basically muddling through with a second choice midfield which doesn't possess the quality of the above two and relying on workrate to push us through. We need some of the players to regain their ability on the ball somehow as on our big pitch we can end up chasing shadows at times.

Treat it as an FA cup tie, go out fast and I think Swindon could wilt. They don't seem a team of scrappers. Give them too much respect (which I felt we did today ) and their midfield will overrun us.

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
I don't really understand your post. The manager never does
But you said he did? “He came into a winning team who were 4th in L1 at Christmas and destroyed it by brining in absolutely terrible players who were young and not ready for EFL football”

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think that game against us was the turning point. Had you won that you may well have gone on to get 3rd. All ifs and maybes, just gotta tonk Swindon now...... the whole season rests on it and im sure thats what DC will be ramming home to his players
Maybe but it didn’t have to be, you were the best side to visit us this season so take in on the chin and win one of the two after against a poor Walsall and out of form Newport with nothing to play for.

The huge turning point was Brad Walker going off at Hartlepool injured, he’s been a huge loss, especially as Pett now has had to be rushed back, we’ve got Worrall and Proctor injected up to the eyeballs and Pett rushed back which isn’t ideal.

But Walker whilst being a solid tackler has real quality to on the ball to switch it and we’ve missed that outlet, especially with Tom Conlon missing the last five months whos our stellar midfield man.

Take Reed and Payne out of Swindon what happens? So it’s difficult to be too critical of the lads because they’ve put everything in to get to this stage, just need one more big effort now and see if that’s enough but does feel like we are running a bit on empty the last few weeks.

RLC

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Of the four clubs involved, I hope Swindon go up.

Unlike a lot of our supporters I have a bit of a soft spot for them, and see quite a lot of similarities between our two clubs. We both had our glory days in the early nineties and some great encounters in that period, but with leaner years since. If they are promoted it will also take another of the well supported, big budget sides out of the equation next season.

I think they are also the best footballing side of the four teams involved, although we mullered them at Prenton Park shortly before our wheels fell off.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But you said he did? “He came into a winning team who were 4th in L1 at Christmas and destroyed it by brining in absolutely terrible players who were young and not ready for EFL football”
To which you replied, “The point is that Ben Garner doesn’t have overall control of any transfer budget.”

And I said yeah, manager doesn’t control the budget…?

Vale on Trent

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
As Darrell Clarke said, win our home game and we have a chance, whether that’s in 90 mins or 120 mins. It’s that simple. Nothing has really changed I guess, we were always going to need to win one of the games.

I do think that either Northampton or Vale will turn around their deficit and end up going through.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
As Darrell Clarke said, win our home game and we have a chance, whether that’s in 90 mins or 120 mins. It’s that simple. Nothing has really changed I guess, we were always going to need to win one of the games.

I do think that either Northampton or Vale will turn around their deficit and end up going through.

it’ll be us.

We’ll panic and collapse on wednesday.

clough will go uber defensive, northampton will dive about all over the place again and sooner or later we’ll get done by a set piece.

Last edited:

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
24 tickets available in home areas for Wednesday. Sixfields will be rocking.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

It will be interesting now in both ties actually, at 2-0 both Swindon and Mansfield probably have one foot in Wembley, Vale Park and Sixfields are flat as a pancake midweek and its a damp squib but especially with how late ours was the mentality and complexion of tie is completely different, the positivity of the fans for example and both grounds will be packed and rocking.

Its set up for two humdingers.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
We’ve flogged all our tickets. Bring it on, I say. Nice early goal and Bob’s yer Uncle! 5 wins on the spin now.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
We’ve flogged all our tickets. Bring it on, I say. Nice early goal and Bob’s yer Uncle! 5 wins on the spin now.

Which is why I’m maybe expecting a cautious approach from us. Hopefully our fans will understand what’s going on there rather than pure blood and thunder and try to end Swindon in the first twenty. Even if you do score first it’s not the end of the world. Would only have to win 2-1 to take it to extra time. Far from impossible.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
This thread is like a trip to the circus for me.

It's really fun watching people do this crazy shit but you don't want to be involved in it in any way. Thinking about it I'd rather be launched out of a cannon than have to go through these playoffs.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Which is why I’m maybe expecting a cautious approach from us. Hopefully our fans will understand what’s going on there rather than pure blood and thunder and try to end Swindon in the first twenty. Even if you do score first it’s not the end of the world. Would only have to win 2-1 to take it to extra time. Far from impossible.
Unsure, I think we will be cautious and try and suffocate the midfield again as there is time so no need to go gung ho, but on the flip side the changes we made late on did pin them back. Depends on if Charsley/Proctor is fit I imagine.

We've had those blistering starts in home games this season so see if we go with that or be more cagey.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
24 tickets available in home areas for Wednesday. Sixfields will be rocking.
Maybe but it didn’t have to be, you were the best side to visit us this season so take in on the chin and win one of the two after against a poor Walsall and out of form Newport with nothing to play for.

The huge turning point was Brad Walker going off at Hartlepool injured, he’s been a huge loss, especially as Pett now has had to be rushed back, we’ve got Worrall and Proctor injected up to the eyeballs and Pett rushed back which isn’t ideal.

But Walker whilst being a solid tackler has real quality to on the ball to switch it and we’ve missed that outlet, especially with Tom Conlon missing the last five months whos our stellar midfield man.

Take Reed and Payne out of Swindon what happens? So it’s difficult to be too critical of the lads because they’ve put everything in to get to this stage, just need one more big effort now and see if that’s enough but does feel like we are running a bit on empty the last few weeks.
I thought you might get something at Swindon after that Exeter result, as Exeter dont give much away at home.
Swindon looked far better at our place than they did at the County Ground which is a common theme for them this season, so maybe they have done the hardest job by winning at home.
Next goal in both games is crucial. Hope vale go through though!

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This thread is like a trip to the circus for me.

It's really fun watching people do this crazy shit but you don't want to be involved in it in any way. Thinking about it I'd rather be launched out of a cannon than have to go through these playoffs.
I did think that, but having seen the games a tiny bit of me wishes we were in them as id be very confident of winning promotion.
Also it would have been ideal to beat Mansfield, and then Swindon as we didnt manage to beat either this season, but probably should have.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
All sold out now. Hopefully a nice fast start and an early goal.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Unsure, I think we will be cautious and try and suffocate the midfield again as there is time so no need to go gung ho, but on the flip side the changes we made late on did pin them back. Depends on if Charsley/Proctor is fit I imagine.

We've had those blistering starts in home games this season so see if we go with that or be more cagey.

We have, most recently against Oldham where we came out swinging and threatened to blow them away before a couple of mental errors at the back (that more than anything has been the pattern lately). I think playing the longer game is the better option. We can’t win it in the opening of the game but we can go a long way to losing it.

I’d be tempted to drop Martin and move Smith to the middle and then Gibbo at RCB or switch to a back four. This is one team we don’t need big lumps at the back. Bring in Benning too. A lot of the issue is how much if at all can we get out of Proctor. I’m thinking have him on the bench as an option deeper into the game and extra time. Swindon to me were starting to visibly fade physically at the end of that game and that might be the time to go hell for leather on them.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
VAR in the final will be a nightmare for a L2.

If we got to the final, Hawkins will probably get about 15 penalties due to his shirt being pulled but O’Toole will probably concede about that many penos too!

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
VAR in the final will be a nightmare for a L2.

If we got to the final, Hawkins will probably get about 15 penalties due to his shirt being pulled but O’Toole will probably concede about that many penos too!

Wait until they appoint Trevor Kettle for the final. This will last longer than some NFL games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bantamshell

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!