The L2 Playoffs

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
Mansfield have to win it during the first leg, their away form for the season is much worse than other 3 clubs.

Vale vs Swindon is hard to say both have superb away form and therefore won’t worry about which leg they have.

Mansfield do have the old head as manager never sure how many play offs he has been involved with.

Think vale vs Swindon may end up penalties, vale winning with McKirdy being cocky and missing his.

Mansfield need to win by 2 goals In first leg or I think Northampton will win that one.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Im really looking forward to these play offs without having the stress factor.
Anything can happen, injury or red cards to key players and it can all change. Bad referee decisions which i'm sure will be plentiful going by what we have endured this season.
Good luck to you all, apart from Northampton, Swindon and Mansfield (Brady, Garner and O'Toole id rather see not have any success, nothing personal to the decent folk on here!)

Strawberry_Jam

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
Im really looking forward to these play offs without having the stress factor.
Anything can happen, injury or red cards to key players and it can all change. Bad referee decisions which i'm sure will be plentiful going by what we have endured this season.
Good luck to you all, apart from Northampton, Swindon and Mansfield (Brady, Garner and O'Toole id rather see not have any success, nothing personal to the decent folk on here!)
whats wrong with Brady may I ask? He's not a a paragon of virtue like Barton, but who is?!?

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Rovers fans are weird. They get obsessed with ex managers, ex players as if they are all part of some conspiracy to do them down.

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
Im looking forward to these as well ,must admit i was glad when bristol rovers got ahead of northampton ,then even happier when it turned out that we would be playing them just think we have a chance ,nothing more ,nothing less ,then if we get to wembley anything can happen

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
whats wrong with Brady may I ask? He's not a a paragon of virtue like Barton, but who is?!?
Gave us absolutely no credit yesterday. Barton definitely would have, had we not made it.
Also complained about the ref setting up our first goal in the home game, even though the ref was nowhere near the ball when it was played out wide (see pic). Didnt mention his players play acting to get Whelan sent off either.
Nton.JPG

Only minor things really but seeing Darrell Clarke getting promoted is the main one.

Last edited:

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
From a Vale perspective todays result is massive in relation to the play offs, had we scabbed in on four poor results and performances to boot then it would have been difficult to see us having any chance.

Going to Exeter and winning to secure it and actually putting in a resilient performance should at least see the mood in the camp (and fan base) completely different.

That and the Dazzler coming back to the dug out it’s been a big couple of days.

As I said though it’s flip of a coin stuff!
Nice to see him back mate.

Reactions: Soz

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
To be fair, he literally was part of a conspiracy to do them down.

Ben Garner did make sure we went down. Put us back years by signing shit players on long contracts. Luckily Barton has cleared a lot out but meant paying off contracts

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Gave us absolutely no credit yesterday. Barton definitely would have, had we not made it.
Also complained about the ref setting up our first goal in the home game, even though the ref was nowhere near the ball when it was played out wide (see pic). Didnt mention his players play acting to get Whelan sent off either.
View attachment 17168
Only minor things really but seeing Darrell Clarke getting promoted is the main one.
there was quite a bit of play acting from Northampton yesterday - particularly from Swan when he came on. He dived more before being an emergency goalie than did when in goal.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Ben Garner did make sure we went down. Put us back years by signing shit players on long contracts. Luckily Barton has cleared a lot out but meant paying off contracts
Put you back years? One year and you’re back where you were. You’re hardly likely to get much further until you get a new ground.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Put you back years? One year and you’re back where you were. You’re hardly likely to get much further until you get a new ground.
Only through paying off contracts or letting them go on frees to be able to get some new players in.
Zain Westbrooke was signed on a 3 year contract in L1 and cant even get in the Stevenage side in L2
Yeah the ground will always hold us back, but its not like we havent been discussing a new stadium or ground redevelopment for the past 15 years...nothing ever materialises though.

Lancs@(Bantam)

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
On my minimal evidence of the play off teams I'd say Mansfield looked the best at our place as not only did they out play us but more significantly they totally bullied us, albeit it was MH first game in charge so probably not the best game to judge on. From a selfish point of view I'd like Swindon to go up to get rid of another long treck game next season. Good luck to all as all 4 sides involved look closely matched and all solid outfits down here.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Only through paying off contracts or letting them go on frees to be able to get some new players in.
Zain Westbrooke was signed on a 3 year contract in L1 and cant even get in the Stevenage side in L2
Yeah the ground will always hold us back, but its not like we havent been discussing a new stadium or ground redevelopment for the past 15 years...nothing ever materialises though.
As I understood it, it was Timmy Widdrington who was in charge of recruitment and I doubt any coach/manager would have any input into contract length or salary.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Agree that there’s no standout team from the four that you’d expect to win the playoff spot. Didn’t watch either of Rovers games v Vale, so hard to assess their strengths, though on a purely emotional level it would be good for them to go up after what the manager’s been through. Swindon had a poor game on the Wirral, but seem to have come good since. Northampton and Mansfield both looked decent. If pushed, having predicted Mansfield to go up automatically, think they might manage it this way instead.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
We’ve not been in league one for nearly 20 years,

As the others have been there more recently and cocked it up, it’s only right that we should be afforded the chance to have a go. :lol:

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Well, you’ve certainly cocked up L2 a few times. Would only be fair, I suppose

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Well, you’ve certainly cocked up L2 a few times. Would only be fair, I suppose

touché haha.

I reckon league 2 will be harder next season than this.

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
On the grounds that
1) my uncle lived there and once, on a visit to him, I attended Field Mill as a "home supporter" (v Orient in the 1970s)
2) one of my Great-Great-Great Grandfathers was from Sutton (Ashfield NOT Surrey)
3) They share a nickname (nearly) with Ross County, who I dislike less than any other Scottish League club
4) They actually managed to beat Rochdale in the league q this season (unlike the other three)

Forza Mansfield

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Our couple of games against Vale are fascinating. I was very impressed with Vale when they beat us at the CG, they pressed high and hard and fully deserved their victory. At Vale Park we played well (with the caveat of course that Vale had their keeper sent off) and toyed with Vale who looked really laboured. Obviously you can't solely predict how the play offs will go based on those games, but the last few games we seem to have found a way of winning at home, whilst our away form has been scintillating all season.

Our current form is red hot and we've ended the season very strongly including beating champions FGR 2-1. I'm quite glad that we are away in the second leg as we'll know what we need to do and away from home should fear nobody. Against Walsall the front 3 of Davison, Barry and Mckirdy were excellent and with Jack Payne and Louis Reed in top form behind them we should give the Vale back line a lot of headaches. Vale Park is a big pitch and that suits the way we play. Interestingly, our pitch is the third narrowest in the league and may have been hindering the way we play somewhat.

I'm going to try and get to the second leg, as it's only an hour and half drive. (obviously depending on whether I can get a ticket or not) I think looking at both clubs and their recent ownership changes, we are on the up and whoever fails to go up should be there or there abouts next season. League 1 is a big step, there are some big teams up there and the chance to play against some of those sides is exciting. I'm not going to call who will come out on top, I'm fairly confident in this side but Vale are no mugs and beating Exeter in the final game is a fantastic result.

Que Sera.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Our couple of games against Vale are fascinating. I was very impressed with Vale when they beat us at the CG, they pressed high and hard and fully deserved their victory. At Vale Park we played well (with the caveat of course that Vale had their keeper sent off) and toyed with Vale who looked really laboured. Obviously you can't solely predict how the play offs will go based on those games, but the last few games we seem to have found a way of winning at home, whilst our away form has been scintillating all season.

Our current form is red hot and we've ended the season very strongly including beating champions FGR 2-1. I'm quite glad that we are away in the second leg as we'll know what we need to do and away from home should fear nobody. Against Walsall the front 3 of Davison, Barry and Mckirdy were excellent and with Jack Payne and Louis Reed in top form behind them we should give the Vale back line a lot of headaches. Vale Park is a big pitch and that suits the way we play. Interestingly, our pitch is the third narrowest in the league and may have been hindering the way we play somewhat.

I'm going to try and get to the second leg, as it's only an hour and half drive. (obviously depending on whether I can get a ticket or not) I think looking at both clubs and their recent ownership changes, we are on the up and whoever fails to go up should be there or there abouts next season. League 1 is a big step, there are some big teams up there and the chance to play against some of those sides is exciting. I'm not going to call who will come out on top, I'm fairly confident in this side but Vale are no mugs and beating Exeter in the final game is a fantastic result.

Que Sera.

More I think about it the more I think the tie will go the distance. You taught us a lesson in the game at VP even before Lucas now infamous moment of madness. Suppose though that those games seem a lifetime ago now and certainly for us the lineup will be different this time to the last one not least Proctor will play this time and Wilson was nursing himself back from injury.

I just hope whoever comes out on top that there isn’t some controversy that settles it like a bad refereeing decision etc.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
More I think about it the more I think the tie will go the distance. You taught us a lesson in the game at VP even before Lucas now infamous moment of madness. Suppose though that those games seem a lifetime ago now and certainly for us the lineup will be different this time to the last one not least Proctor will play this time and Wilson was nursing himself back from injury.

I just hope whoever comes out on top that there isn’t some controversy that settles it like a bad refereeing decision etc.

My main concern is how we defend set pieces, particularly free kicks, where we adopt a really high line and seem to get caught out. If your attacking set pieces are on point then I think this might be where you can hurt us. With that said, Dion Conroy and Mat Baudry are forming an excellent defensive partnership and Ward in goal has done quite well (looks like Wollacott has accepted a contract offer elsewhere and probably will be on the bench for the play offs).

I agree with you, hopefully they are 2 hard fought games that aren't settled in a controversial manner. And don't forget the Mckirdy factor! Again, hope Harry doesn't go overboard in any way and does his talking on the pitch.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
My main concern is how we defend set pieces, particularly free kicks, where we adopt a really high line and seem to get caught out. If your attacking set pieces are on point then I think this might be where you can hurt us. With that said, Dion Conroy and Mat Baudry are forming an excellent defensive partnership and Ward in goal has done quite well (looks like Wollacott has accepted a contract offer elsewhere and probably will be on the bench for the play offs).

I agree with you, hopefully they are 2 hard fought games that aren't settled in a controversial manner. And don't forget the Mckirdy factor! Again, hope Harry doesn't go overboard in any way and does his talking on the pitch.

They are quite patchy to be honest. Hussey when he plays has largely delivered some quality balls but with the exception of Garrity we never seem to attack the ball much. Even Proctor who considering he’s a target man doesn’t get on the end of many. If Hussey doesn’t play then to be honest our delivery leaves a bit to be desired, Benning doesn’t seem very accurate in his delivery and I think Worralls hip prevents him putting the same into his crosses nowadays.

For McKirdy he is just wired differently. To be fair to him he’s never really disrespected us too much since he left. I always feel with him the best thing Vale fans can do is greet him with silence as he will thrive off copping it a bit from the opposition fans.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
They are quite patchy to be honest. Hussey when he plays has largely delivered some quality balls but with the exception of Garrity we never seem to attack the ball much. Even Proctor who considering he’s a target man doesn’t get on the end of many. If Hussey doesn’t play then to be honest our delivery leaves a bit to be desired, Benning doesn’t seem very accurate in his delivery and I think Worralls hip prevents him putting the same into his crosses nowadays.

For McKirdy he is just wired differently. To be fair to him he’s never really disrespected us too much since he left. I always feel with him the best thing Vale fans can do is greet him with silence as he will thrive off copping it a bit from the opposition fans.
With Covolan being a bit of a penalty expert I believe could it be McKirdy v Covolan to decide the tie if we threw him on just for pens!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Que Sera.
It is a real tricky one to call... oddly with our previous at the Country Ground down the years it kind of feels thats our best chance in the first leg to swing the tie in our favour.

Both sides oddly will look at the away leg as the most winnable, we've won 5 of 6 away and lost twice on the road since early December (when we had no strikers!) so we have to ensure we keep that going on the away leg because your form away is very impressive. (its 1st v 2nd in the away table).

Should be a good tie.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Que Sera.
Also as you mention hopefully aside from the rivalry both clubs can at least celebrate being mis managed and now being free of that and having a bright future!

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
As I understood it, it was Timmy Widdrington who was in charge of recruitment and I doubt any coach/manager would have any input into contract length or salary.
Garner completely took apart a team who were 4th in L1, was given a free reign and completely cocked it up. Widdrington was also culpable and he has gone now, and we are far better for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanPep

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!