Stickied The Last Film You Saw Thread (& Discussion)

mowgli

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe Wanderers
Winchester (2018)
Helen Mirren plays an heiress to The Winchester Repeating Rifle Company set in 1906 in California where the victims of her company's guns haunt her mansion,started off slow but got better as it went on. 7/10.

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
The Boondock Saints (1999) 7/10

Stylish and fun in a cheeseball sort of way. The Boondock Saints is a dementedly loud, wilfully artificial thriller about a pair of Irish-American brothers who resolve to clean up the organised crime element in Boston. The film sort of plays out as a kind of cat-and-mouse between the law and the vigilantes, weird moments, not least Willem Dafoe's flamboyant performance, and Billy Connolly as the most unlikely hired killer of the 1990s. Starring Willem Dafoe, Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, David Della Rocco and Billy Connolly.

The Boondock Saints ll: All Saints Day (2009) 5/10

I thought the first film was much better than the sequel. A similar storyline that word comes that a beloved Irish-American priest has been executed back in Boston, with pennies in his eyes. The lads rush back to the states on a freight ship and go into action. This is done very well, in the way of stunts - etc. Starring Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, Billy Connolly, Clifton Collins Jr, Julie Benz and Peter Fonda.

claret50

Reaction score
Supports
West Ham & England
Operation Finale. (2018)

A film about the tracking down and seizure of Adolf Eichmann (Ben Kingsley) by Israeli agents in Argentina, who was taken back to Israel to stand trial for his part in the holocaust at which he was sentenced to be hanged.

deSelby

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
I watched Jane last night, a Nat Geo doc on Dr Jane Goodall, who in 1957 led (without any prior qualification and almost entirely solo) the first in-depth study of chimpanzees in the wild.

I liked it very much, largely because it's constructed (similar to Asif Kapadia's docs) almost entirely of archival footage, the only talking head the subject herself, sparely cut between what looks to be 1960s television-grade 16mm, gorgeously saturated, absolutely dripping green to every edge. There's admittedly a curious penchant for buttoning every plot development or revelation with sudden, epochal Philip Glass circulations and rapid fire montages of insects and Serengeti landscapes (shot by Goodall's first husband, Hugo van Lawick) and at one point, a bit like that early sequence in The Tree of Life, adding to the mix microorganisms, oceans, and galaxies, all of which may or may not be wholly justified and properly restrained, but it's all so pretty and entertaining I've little mind to find a way to be bothered by it. It's also in keeping with the general vibe of the piece, far more interested in the process of discovery and the feeling of wonder than it is in really over-egging any of a number of typical catnip narratives: the sexism she experienced as her work achieved prominence; the disruptive, groundbreaking nature of that work; the conservation efforts now critical to the preservation of chimpanzees in the wild. These are all clearly presented, important as they are, but they never end up steering the ship: the essence of the film remaining ultimately an experiential one, of adventure and dialogue with nature, Goodall's encounters with it and her observations always the anchor of the story.

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
The Meg (2018) 6/10

By all accounts this movie has made a fortune worldwide. The Meg is no masterpiece by any means I'd say a bit of a popcorn, fun, action, not to be taken seriously film. However, i thought it was decent and it manages to hit upon a reasonably effective blend of action and thrills. With Statham the perfect person for a film like this with his tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. Starring Jason Statham, Li Bingbing, Cliff Curtis, Ruby Rose, Jessica McNamee, Robert Taylor and Rainn Wilson.

The Gunman (2015) 4/10

Been a while since I've seen a Sean Penn movie. This is basically a good guys vs bad guys movie and obviously the good guy wins. Action packed, with tense and thrilling sequences with Penn flexing his muscles like Rambo. I suppose it Isn't the worst action film that I'll ever come across, but the type of movie that I'll be lucky to remember anything about it a couple of weeks after watching it. Starring Sean Penn, Javier Bardem, Ray Winstone, Jasmine Trinca and Peter Franzen.

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
The Darkest Minds (2018) 4/10

A cheaper version of The Hunger Games i would say about this movie, bit of a yawn but managed to watch it till the end. I suppose wasn't all that great but some of it was okay-ish.
In the film, teens mysteriously develop powerful new abilities and so are declared a threat by the government and detained. But sixteen year-old Ruby has other ideas, she escapes her camp and joins a group of runaway teens seeking safe haven. Starring Amandla Stenberg, Harris Dickinson, Patrick Gibson, Skylan Brooks, Mandy Moore, Miya Cech and Gwendoline Christie.

Sicario: Day Of The Soldado (2018) 7/10

Definitely inferior to the original. However, it was still a great film but it falls behind in my opinion when comparing it directly to the first. Del Toro is a shining light, but for me Isabela Moner did a fantastic job with her role. Who she will grow into is pure enigma, and the dynamic between her and Del Toro is the heartbeat of the film. Here's hoping they do a third and final film that goes back around to where it all started. Starring Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin, Isabela Moner, Catherine Keener, Matthew Modine, Jeffrey Donovan and Manuel Garcia Rulfo.

Craig

Reaction score
Supports
Danny Rose
Operation Finale. (2018)

A film about the tracking down and seizure of Adolf Eichmann (Ben Kingsley) by Israeli agents in Argentina, who was taken back to Israel to stand trial for his part in the holocaust at which he was sentenced to be hanged.

Spoilers.

claret50

Reaction score
Supports
West Ham & England
Chasing Sleep.

Possibly the strangest film I've seen, never understood a fucking thing about it....

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
Snow White And The Huntsman (2012) 6/10

A surprisingly compelling action-fantasy film, in which there is a sufficiency of medieval battle scenes, and a fairly exciting siege of the castle with catapults that hurl globes of burning tar. A dark film led by a perfectly cast Charlize Theron devouring the scenery as the evil queen.
A decent and gritty take on the classic. Starring Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth and Sam Claflin.

The Huntsman: Winter's War (2016) 4/10

The original film worked as a dark take on the familiar Snow White fable, with breathtakingly beautiful, brutal imagery. This one was like watching 'Frozen' in a tale of two royal sisters, one of whom discovers in a fit of rage that she has the ability to shoot ice from her fingertips, and then she exiles herself to a faraway land in the mountains. Starring Chris Hemsworth, Jessica Chastain, Emily Blunt, Charlize Theron, Nick Frost, Rob Brydon and Sheridan Smith.

Stagat

#stagat
Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Watched that Jim Carrey Christmas Carol with the missus on Xmas Eve like we do every year. Might not be the best version but it's our film and I love that it is.

disney-christmas-carol4.jpg

(that's her on the left)

Redpelt

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
The House That Jack Built ,garnered massive publicity with its inclusion of some extremely controversial content ,but I thought it was handled well by Matt Dillon who delivers a quite remarkable portrayal of the OCD affected serial killer and the intensity of Lars Von Trier's direction is at times 'although' shockingly visceral its also intelligently handled enough to slightly diffuse the ferity of the violence depicted.

I think parts of the film can be seen as deeply cynical and the scenes that caused such walkouts on mass at Cannes are without doubt the most impious in its cruelty to be seen on film,callous ,devoid of empathy and with little sympathy for its audience but when all is said and done this is a Lars Von Trier film and the viewer should be aware of the nihilism that eventually bleeds its way through all his work.

Last edited:

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
Sinister Squad (2016) 1/10

A very low budget movie which was absolutely horrendous, an enormous amount of the film consists of immense closeups of actors pulling faces as they insist on meaningless speeches. Starring Johnny Rey Diaz, Christina Licciardi, Lindsay Sawyer and Isaac Reyes.

Alpha (2018) 7/10

A very good and effective dog's tale adventure movie. Smit-McPhee gives a good performance here, showing the evolution of his character without much dialogue. It's a charming story about a boy who learns to be an alpha wolf. Starring Kodi Smit-McPhee, Johannes Haukur Johannesson, Priya Rajaratnam, Leonor Varela and Natassia Malthe.

claret50

Reaction score
Supports
West Ham & England
The Fourth Protocol (1987)

A thoroughly enjoyable spy/thriller film based on the book by Frederick Forsyth with Michael Caine and Pierce Brosnan in the lead roles.

Fompous Part

Erstwhile Scumbag
Reaction score
Supports
Fulchester
The House That Jack Built ,garnered massive publicity with its inclusion of some extremely controversial content ,but I thought it was handled well by Matt Dillon who delivers a quite remarkable portrayal of the OCD affected serial killer and the intensity of Lars Von Trier's direction is at times 'although' shockingly visceral its also intelligently handled enough to slightly diffuse the ferity of the violence depicted. I think the film is a deeply cynical one and the scenes that caused such walkouts on mass at Cannes are without doubt the most impious in its cruelty I've seen on film ,callous ,devoid of empathy and with little sympathy for its audience but when all is said and done this is a Lars Von Trier film and the viewer should be aware of the nihilism that eventually bleeds its way through all his work.
If the film is “deeply cynical” and the violence is depicted in a callous, unempathetic and nihilistic way, how, exactly, is Von Trier’s direction “intelligently handled enough to slightly diffuse the ferity of the violence depicted”?

Genuine question, not rhetorical. I haven’t no opinion about the film, which I haven’t seen and probably won’t bother with. Just questioning the logical consistency of your review.

Redpelt

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
If the film is “deeply cynical” and the violence is depicted in a callous, unempathetic and nihilistic way, how, exactly, is Von Trier’s direction “intelligently handled enough to slightly diffuse the ferity of the violence depicted”?

Genuine question, not rhetorical. I haven’t no opinion about the film, which I haven’t seen and probably won’t bother with. Just questioning the logical consistency of your review.

As soon as I posted it I realized I had contradicted myself ,but I thought 'fuck it' I will edit it at a later date . All I can proffer as an excuse is the post was typed in haste and apologize for my tardiness in not correcting it.

Fompous Part

Erstwhile Scumbag
Reaction score
Supports
Fulchester
No apology necessary.

Did you enjoy the film? It's hard to tell.

P.S. If "enjoy" seems an ill-fitting verb, change the question to: would you recommend it to others?

Redpelt

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
No apology necessary.

Did you enjoy the film? It's hard to tell.

P.S. If "enjoy" seems an ill-fitting verb, change the question to: would you recommend it to others?

I think we're in dire need of a wink emoji here and yes I would recommend people watch the film,if only to form a judgement or post 'a more considered or discernible';) appraisal other than that of my own.

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
London To Brighton (2006) 8/10

Another great British film with the impressive Johnny Harris in fine form, a definitely very dark and gritty, true to life storyline with some great performances, particularly Harris and the two main characters. It's a hard hitting picture from start to finish. My honest opinion this film is up their with 'Harry Brown'. Starring Lorraine Stanley, Georgia Groome, Johnny Harris, Sam Spruell and Nathan Constance.

Jonah Hex (2010) 2/10

This film was pure garbage. It was very bad, and even Megan Fox is in it trying her hardest to act hot again. Starring Josh Brolin, Megan Fox, Jimmy Hayward, John Malkovich and Michael Fassbender.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
:lol: (I hope she won't read this)

My favourite version is the one from the early 50's with Alastair Sim as Scrooge.
Mine too, saw it again the other week. :)

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Young Frankenstein [1974]

Not seen this in years, and it was even better than I remember. Hilarity throughout almost every scene, and Peter Boyle and Marty Feldman as the Creature and Igor were brilliant. Perfection. Highly recommended.

10/10

Key Largo (1948)

Classic John Huston film with Bogart, Bacall and Edward G. Robinson; where a WWII vet goes to visit his deceased friend's family in Key Largo, where they run a hotel which is being held hostage for a few days, by a legendary gangster 'Johnny Rocco'! All the while there is a great hurricane bashing down the doors and windows to the place. Great old school acting, and the tension built up nicely between Bogart and Robinson until their inevitable showdown.

8/10

Muppets Christmas Carol (1992) - 10/10

Scrooge (1951) - The best onscreen adaptation of Dickens classic with the great Alistair Sim and Arthur from Minder, 10/10

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (1989) - Still great, though this version was cut heavily bringing the score down; and my word Bev Di Angelo was sexy as hell in it, she even upstages a pre-Seinfeld Julia Louis-Dreyfus in the sexiness department! 8/10

Night Of The Demon (1957) - A parapsychologist tries to understand and debunk a powerful demonologist. Great in parts, though the ending was weak; and no where near as good as The Devil Rides Out. 6/10

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
Young Frankenstein [1974]

Not seen this in years, and it was even better than I remember. Hilarity throughout almost every scene, and Peter Boyle and Marty Feldman as the Creature and Igor were brilliant. Perfection. Highly recommended.

10/10

Key Largo (1948)

Classic John Huston film with Bogart, Bacall and Edward G. Robinson; where a WWII vet goes to visit his deceased friend's family in Key Largo, where they run a hotel which is being held hostage for a few days, by a legendary gangster 'Johnny Rocco'! All the while there is a great hurricane bashing down the doors and windows to the place. Great old school acting, and the tension built up nicely between Bogart and Robinson until their inevitable showdown.

8/10

Muppets Christmas Carol (1992) - 10/10

Scrooge (1951) - The best onscreen adaptation of Dickens classic with the great Alistair Sim and Arthur from Minder, 10/10

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (1989) - Still great, though this version was cut heavily bringing the score down; and my word Bev Di Angelo was sexy as hell in it, she even upstages a pre-Seinfeld Julia Louis-Dreyfus in the sexiness department! 8/10

Night Of The Demon (1957) - A parapsychologist tries to understand and debunk a powerful demonologist. Great in parts, though the ending was weak; and no where near as good as The Devil Rides Out. 6/10

A comic genius, I think Young Frankenstein was Brook's greatest film, not to mention Wilder's greatest performance.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
A comic genius, I think Young Frankenstein was Brook's greatest film, not to mention Wilder's greatest performance.
Yeah you're probably right. As a kid my favourite was Blazing Saddles, but parts of it drift, and the ending isn't satisfactory. Frankenstein flows throughout; there's never a dull moment in the whole thing. Its taut, superbly performed and well written from start to finish. Its nothing short of a masterpiece imo.

Redpelt

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Young Frankenstein can rightly be considered as one of Wilder's best films but it pales in comparison to The Producers ,which stretched Wilder's comedic artistry to new levels, his performance alongside the incomparable Mostel was brushed with genius.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Young Frankenstein can rightly be considered as one of Wilder's best films but it pales in comparison to The Producers ,which stretched Wilder's comedic artistry to new levels, his performance alongside the incomparable Mostel was brushed with genius.
Its a fine film, but its a long time ago since I saw it, and if I remember it does take a while to get going. Wilder was always great, a complete madman in everything he did.

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
Jack Reacher (2012) 6/10

Definitely entertaining. I tend to find Tom Cruise a little bit annoying at times. However i found this film pretty decent with some good action scenes in it as well. And a bit of romance between the camera man and Rosamund Pike's cleavage in which was a delight to watch. A thrilling, intense vigilante thriller. Starring Tom Cruise, Rosamund Pike, Richard Jenkins, David Oyelowo, Werner Herzog and Jai Courtney.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016) 4/10

Unfortunately this follow up isn't as good, but had it's moments. The action in this one is very basic as well and no where near as good as the first film. And the villain in this film was pretty dire. Starring Tom Cruise, Cobie Smulders, Danika Yarosh, Robert Knepper and Aldis Hodge.

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
Yeah you're probably right. As a kid my favourite was Blazing Saddles, but parts of it drift, and the ending isn't satisfactory. Frankenstein flows throughout; there's never a dull moment in the whole thing. Its taut, superbly performed and well written from start to finish. Its nothing short of a masterpiece imo.

Young Frankenstein is my first choice and is as funny as we expect a Mel Brooks comedy to be, but It's more than that. It shows artistic growth and a more sure handed control of the material by a director who once seemed willing to do literally anything for a laugh. It's more confident and less breathless. Definitely a masterpiece.

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington

Gene Wilder was a new face in the late 60s, he was also a character consumed by nervousness. His performance in The Producers is a shade shy of a panic attack. It's a really funny movie like most of Brook's films, The Producers is cheerfully willing to go anywhere for a laugh. A joy to watch.

Redpelt

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Gene Wilder was a new face in the late 60s, he was also a character consumed by nervousness. His performance in The Producers is a shade shy of a panic attack. It's a really funny movie like most of Brook's films, The Producers is cheerfully willing to go anywhere for a laugh. A joy to watch.

He was already used to treading the boards and had received wide spread acclaim for his off Broadway shows before dipping his toe into film. I'm surmising his awkwardness evolved after he was sexually molested whilst in military school and ran a gauntlet of racist abuse for being the solitary Jewish kid. As for the image he projected in The Producers it was precisely what Brooks had requested he deliver for his role as Bloom, a near feverish but acute portrayal of a man having multiple panic attacks. I think the fact he made it look so raw was a defining influence on why the film is considered a classic.

In my mind its Wilder at his most wired and for that alone its my favorite film of his.

Darlo On Tour

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
Sweet Country (2017) 9/10

By far easily one of the best films to come out of Australia, the story involves a middle-aged Aboriginal man who goes on the run after killing a bitter and cruel war veteran in self-defense. This is a great film with a very moving story. Starring Bryan Brown, Sam Neill, Hamilton Morris, Anni Finsterer and Ewen Leslie.

Ant-Man And The Wasp (2018) 6/10

I quite enjoyed this movie it was fun and entertaining, probably won't be to everybody's liking considering it was a Marvel movie. I thought Rudd and Lilly worked together with great chemistry and pulled it off. A decent film if you like a bit of light hearted comedy. Starring Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Hannah John-Kamen, Michael Douglas, Michael Pena, Judy Greer and Walton Goggins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!