Top 50/100 Disney Movies List

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
Completely agree with the bold bit, and in my opinion that contradicts the first sentence. It's got great heroes, classic villains and a superb soundtrack - what more could you want? It placed third on my list and could easily have been first.

I can't put my finger on it. Compare it to say Pinocchio for example. It just doesn't have the same depth and heart rendering moments. Maybe because it's a retell it lacks a bit of depth in places. I'm not sure. Still, the beauty of opinions.

I'll do a few more tonight as I'm off out now.

HarvSFC

Jaffa Cake Quiz Champion 2015
Reaction score
Supports
Southampton
On the subject of Pinocchio. How good was this version:

pinocchio-600x300.jpg

Absolutely loved it as a child.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
16th)A Bugs Life (4) (5) (4) (17) (11) (5) (11) (18) = 75

a-bugs-life-9.jpg

Following the huge success of Toy Story, Pixar's 2nd outing was A Bugs Life. At the time, there was a fair bit of controversy as Dreamworks were releasing a very similar title in Antz. As it was, both did very well at the box office. A Bugs Life did a very good job of recreating the famous Ant and Grasshopper fable. Although I don't think it quite recaptured the magic of Toy Story, it was another excellent display in animation and had a very likeable main character in Flik. Hopper was also a real nasty piece of work as the villain.

Without a doubt, my favourite scene in the film is where Hopper dies. It really allows you to remember the size of these creatures and how nature works. Cringing is fully aloud also as it leaves the graphic details to your imagination.

IMDB rating: 7.2

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

15th) The Little Mermaid (7) (14) (12) (20) (16) (10) = 79

disney-little-mermaid-learning-game-app_39141_1

I've never seen The Little Mermaid. Again, it's one of them girly Disney films and I've just never really had an urge to watch it. So yeah, I can't really review this. I'm actually a little surprised it didn't finish a bit higher but I suppose on a male orientated forum, 15th is a pretty good showing. I'll leave this to others who have seen it.

Iconic Disney songs

I just couldn't decide between these two. Both are classics. Part of your world was the 'Let it Go' of the 1980s. I remember girls in primary school singing the song all the time. It had been a while since Disney had released a real 'girly' animated film like Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. This was the ballad that all girls sung. On the other hand, Under the Sea is one of the best feel good and upbeat Disney songs. You know how good a song is by how identifiable it is and I imagine most people would associate both of these songs with The Little Mermaid immediately.

IMDB rating: 7.6

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

14th) The Incredibles (14) (11) (17) (13) (20) (4) (11) = 90

zsgvoxbtaxrvsln6917x.jpg

This is my favourite Pixar film without a doubt. I just bloody love The Incredibles and any fan of animation who hasn't needs to see this right now. The basic premise is of a family who need to hide their identities and blend in with normal life. They then have to use their superpowers to help the Dad who gets lured into one more mission by a crazed ex fan. Think Spy Kids but a million times better. All of the characters have charm and humour. In particular, Edna..........

(No capes!!!)

I'll be interested to see what others think but The Incredibles for me is one of Pixar's finest.

IMDB rating: 8

Rotten Tomatoes: 97%

This feature will take a break until Sunday now as I am away for the next few days!

Last edited:

Pyeman

Reaction score
Supports
Burnley
Under the Sea is possibly my favourite Disney song. I've just got it stuck in my head, and it will be lodged there for days.

mistermagic

Reaction score
Supports
Stoke City (I don't make the rules, Epic73 does)
Twitter
@FinallyFifou
The Little Mermaid is up there with the best. Great Disney.

Murphy

Bloody Nice Chap
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham & Redbridge and Stephen Mulhern.
Twitter
@NickMurphy1995
Bugs Life was definitely in my 5, absolutely love it. The game on PS1 was excellent as well - but the film is magnificent. In one sense I'm gutted a sequel was never made, but at the same time it leaves the first one without being tainted.

Pyeman

Reaction score
Supports
Burnley
I didn't submit a list of my own because I'm a lazy shit. But I have had quite a lot of fun this evening guessing the top 13 picks.

Aberstone

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
I'm with you on that Lee, The Incredibles is Pixar's best film.

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
I love A Bugs Life. And like Murphy said, the game on the PS1 was awesome as well! My brother actually borrowed that off of one of his mates back when it came out, and we still have it now somewhere :lol:

I'd never watched The Little Mermaid until a few months ago, and it is really good. As others have said, on the surface at least it is a very "girly" movie which obviously puts a lot of people off, but I am so glad I took the time to check it out. I did kind of realise that most of the Disney animations that I'd never watched tended to be the ones with female lead characters, The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Mulan... I was even put off watching the likes of Tangled and Frozen to be honest. But I'm happy that I've caught up now and checked most of them out.
Also, with the song, yes yes, part of your world and whatever, fuck fuck that. The Little Mermaid has ONE song, as compared to it, the rest of the (ok, pretty decent) soundtrack is irrelevent. Under the sea is about the catchiest fucking song ever made.

The Incredibles though, damn, I hoped that'd finish higher. When putting my list together, it was a movie that started up among the top spots but just kept falling on my list due to remembering others that I simply could not put behind it. But it still managed a decent 7th placed finish for me. I love it, and not even just because I'm a massive super hero nerd, just because it's fucking brilliant.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
Bugs Life was definitely in my 5, absolutely love it. The game on PS1 was excellent as well - but the film is magnificent. In one sense I'm gutted a sequel was never made, but at the same time it leaves the first one without being tainted.

Ive never actually seen a Bug's Life (I saw Antz at the pics and loved it so never bothered!) but I had that PS1 game! Was quality.

Not impressed with The Little Mermaid being so low! I love it. Under the Sea always takes the plaudits as best song, but to be honest, all of the songs in it are very good. Part of Your World is my favourite, but Kiss The Girl and Ursula's song, think its called Poor Unfortunate Souls are great as well. The first Disney film I ever saw at the pictures, so there is an element of nostalgia, but it's also one of very few that I still watched loads even as an adult. Ursula is another great Disney villain.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
13th) Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (10) (7) (9) (15) (2) (15) (12) (20) = 90
pirates-caribbean-5-casting-story-johnny-depp.jpg

I can't believe this film is 12 years old now. It seems like yesterday that it came out. PotC featured on 8 different lists and is definitely one of Disney's most successful live action movies. With a star studded cast, Johnny Depp steals the show as Jack Sparrow. In his normal eccentric manner, he brings the character to life making him a loveable maverick. The other star of the show for me is Captain Barbossa. He really comes into his own during his cursed skeleton form as an excellent villain. All in all, the film is an excellent adventure for kids but also succeeds in being very watchable for adults due to some of the humour within.

IMDB rating: 8.1

Rotten Tomatoes: 79%

12th) Frozen (13) (3) (10) (6) (13) (1) (13) (3) (14) (17) = 93
1391719799471_frozen-lede.jpg

Somehow, and I'm not sure how, despite working in a school I've managed to completely avoid ever seeing Frozen. Once upon a time I would maybe have wanted to see it but I'm not sure I can sit down and watch it now after 'THAT' song. Still, Frozen is the first entry on our countdown to feature on 10 lists. Dubbed as one of, if not the, best Disney animated picture this side of the millennium, Frozen is the story of a princess setting off with a snowman, reindeer and iceman to find her trapped sister. It has received overwhelmingly positive reviews. I'll let someone else rave about it.

Iconic Disney song

It was always going to be 'Let it Go'. Dare I say, this is the most catchy and sung song since 'Hakuna Matata' from the Lion King? Simple lyrics and a big belting chorus. It's the stuff young girls dreams are made of. Despite my annoyance at the amount I've heard this song, I can't deny it's a bloody good Disney tune which they've struck gold with. Listen at your own pleasure/risk.

Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

11th) Cool Runnings (20) (18) (13) (19) (12) (2) (18) = 102

article-2542846-03B2AF880000044D-14_306x451.jpg

Haha, I haven't seen this for years. The first film to break the 100 points total is the cult classic Cool Runnings. It only made 7 lists but featured extremely highly on most of them.
JC-john-candy-24931170-320-240.gif

Featuring the star of most feel good 80s and 90s movies John Candy, Cool Runnings is absurd yet completely loveable. I love the ending of the film where they walk across the line with the sleigh above their heads to mass applause. The sort of spine tingling snatching success from failure type ending. In particular though, the film actually inspired a real life Jamaican Bobsleigh team to enter the 2014 Winter Olympics. It's not the best film ever made, but it's a bloody feel good film and that's why it's heralded as one of Disney's best live action movies.

IMDB rating:6.9

Rotten Tomatoes: 75%

Starting Monday. THE TOP 10 COUNTDOWN

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
I didnt vote for any live action, but the Pirates of the Caribbean films are all good fun. Classic good old fashioned family friendly adventure films

Pyeman

Reaction score
Supports
Burnley
I'm slightly surprised Frozen did so well on a predominantly male populated forum.

Cheese & Biscuits

Reaction score
Supports
Daggers
I never understood the love for Cool Runnings. Decent, watchable film but not much more.

Pirates of the Caribbean was excellent at the time though. A cracking film. Not sure the endless sequels have added anything but the original was top notch.

mistermagic

Reaction score
Supports
Stoke City (I don't make the rules, Epic73 does)
Twitter
@FinallyFifou
Litterally never ever heard of Frozen.

IanH

Reaction score
Supports
Anyone but Barça
In 1998 my middle school had a 5-a-side World Cup competition amongst the years 5 and 6s. Each side had to have at least one year 5 and one girl, and my team chose to represent Jamaica (who in real life were about to mark their WC debut). Our carefully selected, yet modest squad consisted of myself, stephen and beth from year 6, and japanese jonny amd goalkeeper sam from year 5. We eased through a group stage consisting of Nigeria, Scotland and some other bunch of no marks, and then conquered England 1-0 aet in the semi-finals on a Monday lunchtime, thanks to a rasping, dipping drive from yours truly, which their keeper hotly contested (no real goals until the final) as being over (definitely in). On Tuesday, with our place in the final already assured we watched the Netherlands fall at the feet of the mighty Brazil, setting up a green and yellow clash of epic proportions, staged to take place after Year 4 parents evening on the Wednesday. Come 7pm (kick off was 7.30) the school field was packed the the rafters, Adrian (Jonny's older brother) had made a huge JAMAICA banner, and there were at least two flags (there were 3) being waved on that warm June afternoon. So, your brave Jamaican 5, up against Matt, Dan, Paul and Jason from year 6 (all 5 foot 6 and 100 pound brutes) and some female ogre that they'd found behind the bike sheds in year 5. The 300-odd crowd didnt really know what to expect as we took to the field, the plucky underdogs up against the goliaths, but with the help of our Nigerian, Scottish and English chums, along with Jonny's brother's mates we soon had the whole place rocking, and singing "Nuff people say they cant believe....ooooooooooh, JAMAICA WE HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM, YA. We have the one Ian, the one Stephen, and a Jonny, Sam and a Bet'any. The bestest of the bestest Jamaican 'ballers". We won the toss, opted to defend the goal (proper 5-a-side goals now) backing on to the music hut, and took our positions for the 20 minute match against Brazil What happened next is like a dream-sequence, flashes of diving into tackles, Sam making heroic saves and Dan elbowing Beth in the face as she nutmegged him, but with the clock ticking into the final moments, we held a 3-1 lead and embarked on a move the (Real) Brazil 1970 team would have been proud of, culminating in Jonny jinking down the goal-line and squaring for Beth to tap in just as the full time klaxon rang out. If the crowd was 50/50 at kick off, it was 95/5 at full time (What can I say, I grew up in Surrey - we can glory hunt with the best of them) and we were all carried off atop shoulders and the party went on until well after 8.15pm, when we were awarded the inaugaral (and possibly only) Horsell C of E Football World Cup trophy, and firmly fixed into the Jamaican sporting record books.

That has almost absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but Cool Runnings inspired our success, and it also taught us not only to find victory in the face of adversity and put our faith in our teammates (regardless of age and gender) but also how to do wicked-amazing Jamaican accents.

slaphead

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Only just stumbled upon this thread so a few brief views.

As a father of two and grandad of another two, three of which are girls I feel I'm pretty well qualified to comment on this. Having seen just about all of the stuff Disney and Pixar have produced, some of it over and over again, there are a few points I'd like to make.

Most of the Pixar stuff is shite. Bollocks like Cars, and WALL-E should have been drowned at birth. Honourable exception goes to Toy Story.

The prettiest Disney Princess by far is Ariel. The End.

Classics like Dumbo, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty et al should be the default top 10. Without them there would be no Disney.

The greatest Disney film ever made is The Lion King. The story is superb, the characters amazing and the music sublime. I watched it again (at the girls request) 5 days after my own Dad died last year, and the bit where Simba talks to Mufasa at the waterhole had me howling for hours. If fact, it brings a tear to my eye now just thinking about it. Soft shite.

Disney is the staple of any parent and grandparents life. Without it, I'd have been in a padded cell years ago.

EDIT:- Cool Runnings is my mother-in-laws favourite film. Reason enough for it to be never shown the light of day ever again.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
THE TOP 10

10th) Up (12) (4) (18) (15) (10) (11) (10) (3) (18) (10) = 109
married-life.jpg

Our first entry into the top 10 is one of Pixar's most critically acclaimed films, Up. Considering the vast amount of classics we've already seen in the tens and twenties, Up is placed a little too highly for me but 10 of you thought it deserved a place high up on the list. Up itself is a very good film. The basic premise is an old fellow who wants to get away from his life and fulfill a promise to his late wife so he ties hundreds of balloons to his house (as you do) and flies away to South America. In particular, I love the tranquil nature of that scene. It's one of Pixar's finest.

Up does have a great sense of humour and is just beautiful to watch. I think it was nominated for Best Picture at the Academy awards which is a rare feat for an animated film just showing how spectacular some of the visuals are. Up perhaps isn't commercially the most well known of Pixar's films but it is a little gem hidden amongst their film collection. Watch it if you haven't!

IMDB rating: 8.3

Rotten Tomatoes: 98%

9th) The Jungle Book (8) (4) (10) (18) (20) (5) (4) (9) (15) (20) = 113
The-Jungle-Book-1967-010.jpg

It's been years since I've seen The Jungle Book but I remember liking it very much as a kid. 10 of you agreed as it rockets into 9th place and even made two top positions on lists. This was the last film Walt Disney made as he died during production of it. Basically, Mowgli has been raised by wolves but is in danger as Shere Khan the tiger has returned to the jungle. On a side note, Khan is a bloody good villain throughout this whilst Kaa the snake plays the part of sly but spineless snake excellently. Baloo and Bagheera, bear and panther try to persuade Mowgli to leave throughout. A great classic Disney film.

Iconic Disney song

The Jungle Book possesses an excellent soundtrack and these two are proof of that. First we have 'Bare Necessities'. A fantastically cheerful song with a very easy to sing along chorus. It's a song that just screams Disney. Next, possibly a song so catchy it rivals Little Mermaid's Under the Sea. "I wanna be like you" is just..........I can't even find the words for it. It's just a bloody good song with elements of swing and simple lyrics to ensure maximum sing along potential. One of my favourite ever Disney songs!

Rotten Tomatoes: 85%

8th) Toy Story 2 (16) (2) (8) (13) (3) (2) (11) (17) (7) (16) (17) (19) (3) = 134
toy-story-2.jpg

The first of the Toy Story trilogy to fall and we're within the final 8 films. Toy Story 2 made a whopping 13 lists and is 21 points clear of 9th but it isn't enough to go any higher on this countdown. Seemingly dubbed, the weakest of the 3, that is reflected here with Toy Story 2's position. However, that isn't to say that it's a poor film. Far from it, Toy Story 2 is simply a very good film placed between two iconic excellent films.

The film manages to retain the humour and excellent production values from the original. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly where it doesn't quite live up to the original as it does come up with original ideas throughout. My main gripe would be that Jessie is an extremely irritating character in this (far more so than in the 3rd). Still, we're talking small bits and there are probably people who love Toy Story 2 more than the others. In particular, I love the Buzz and Zurg showdowns, the nod to Star Wars made me laugh out loud at the time as well. Whilst it doesn't quite hit classic proportions, there's no doubt Toy Story 2, even as a stand alone film, holds up extremely well and well deserves a place high up on this list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMK9vXuN-Cc

IMDB rating: 7.9

Rotten Tomatoes: 100%

A bit later today, we'll see which two films just miss out on making the top 5!

Last edited:

slaphead

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
UP in the top 10..... the world is fucked.

The Jungle Book is ace, the bit where Baloo pulls Bagheera's tail when he's in the tree ans says 'Get with the beat Baggy' makes me chuckle every time and I've seen it a thousand times over...

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
I would guess Im one of very few who rates Toy Story 2 higher than 1. Then again, its probably because I saw more of 2 when I was a kid, as I did own it, so I think I just know it better.

While we're on the subject of Toy Story, has anyone ever seen the theory online about the link between Woody, Jessie, Andy and his mum? Now little silly theories like this always pop up on the internet, and I think the majority are rubbish, but there is just enough weight in this one to make me wonder!

http://jonnegroni.com/2014/02/24/the-true-identity-of-andys-mom-in-toy-story-will-blow-your-mind/

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
UP in the top 10..... the world is fucked.

The Jungle Book is ace, the bit where Baloo pulls Bagheera's tail when he's in the tree ans says 'Get with the beat Baggy' makes me chuckle every time and I've seen it a thousand times over...

Its still a running joke in my family to quote the lines from the monkeys when Baloo's monkey disguise is revealed... "Its Baloo the Bear!" "Yeah thats him!"

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
7th) Finding Nemo (1) (19) (16) (9) (11) (15) (6) (8) (14) (10) (3) (13) (13) = 138
disney-pixar-finding-nemo-book_21335_1

Flying onto 13 lists is Finding Nemo. Until a few years ago, I'd never seen all of Nemo, just caught little tidbits here and there. Without doubt, it has been an enormous success both critically and commercially. But is it the 7th best Disney movie of all time?

Nemo is visually stunning as you'd expect from a movie set under the sea with all that unknown and colour to explore. It also does an excellent job in bringing the sea to life and giving every species a personality. In particular, the main characters are portrayed excellently. Nemo and Dory are a great double act and the humour is spot on appealing to kids and adults. In summary, Finding Nemo is a great film, excellent in fact. But I'm having a hard time with it being the 7th best.

IMDB rating: 8.2

Rotten Tomatoes: 99%

6th) Beauty and the Beast (19) (9) (5) (1) (7) (7) (13) (20) (16) (17) (14) (12) = 140

Beauty-and-the-Beast-3D.jpg

Now this is class. A classic love tale but with a fantastic array of characters, including a very strong supporting cast. I didn't know this before a bit of research but Walt Disney actually tried to convert the story into a Disney film initially in the 30s and 50s. It was the success of The Little Mermaid that persuaded Disney as a company to go ahead with it in the early 90s.

Where as some of Disney's love stories have felt a little bit girly or sickly on occasions, Beauty and the Beast captures a fine balance between the romantic element, redemption and effective humour throughout. As said earlier, the supporting cast of household objects that were once servants each have their own persona and are all very likeable. All in all, Beauty and the Beast is an excellent Disney film and deserves it's place in the top 10 as being another great movie from Disney's golden late 80s/early 90s period.

Iconic Disney song

Probably the film's iconic scene and a fantastically understated and mellow romantic song to go with it. You can't help but smile when you hear/see the song and film in motion together. It just works. I also like the recorded version with Peabo Bryson so I'll stick that below.

IMDB rating: 8.0

Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
Cant believe Beauty and the Beast is outside the top 5...brilliant film, got everything all the best Disney films do. Likeable heroine, great character arc with the beast, great supporting characters and humour, and one of the downright nastiest and most dislikeable villains in Disney history in Gaston.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!