Top 50/100 Disney Movies List

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
The top 5 countdown will begin tomorrow.

Predict the order. If you get it spot on your get infinity brownie points! Here are the contenders.........
monsters-inc-3d.jpg

the-lion-king-a-wi-mo-weh-a-wi-mo-weh-a-wi-mo-weh-a-wi-mo-weh-jpg.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

toy-story-3-nos-cinemas-creditos-11.jpg

aladdin.jpg

The Paranoid Pineapple

Reaction score
Supports
mighty, mighty Ks
It was always going to be 'Let it Go'. Dare I say, this is the most catchy and sung song since 'Hakuna Matata' from the Lion King? Simple lyrics and a big belting chorus. It's the stuff young girls dreams are made of. Despite my annoyance at the amount I've heard this song, I can't deny it's a bloody good Disney tune which they've struck gold with. Listen at your own pleasure/risk.

I enjoyed its seemingly interminable stay in the UK singles chart. Love an insane chart run... Let It Go went as follows (bizarrely ending up as one of the top 10 selling singles of 2014 despite failing to ever make the top 10):

67-67-57-44-36-31-22-20-20-23-18-31-22-31-30-27-17-{11}-15-13-11-11-12-13-13-15-19-21-21-21-25-25-27-30-28-29-32-36-44-51-54-60-53-48-54-54-36-42-28-19-25-26-24-25-19-25-34-40-43-54-54-66-68-> 63 weeks

Good film too.

Don't have many qualms about the top 5 (although three Toy Story flicks in the top ten is REALLY BORING). I am, however, going to nail my colours to the mast - The Lion King FTW

slaphead

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
The fact that Toy Story 3 and Monsters is in there fills me with horror. Beauty and the Beast and Nemo are far superior. I question the choices of some on here that TS3 is even in the top 50.

Veggie Legs

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Beauty And The Beast was the first film I ever saw at the cinema. I cried because the beast was too scary.

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
MOAR MOVIES!

Pirates of the Caribbean is worthy of its nice finish, I reckon. Say what you will about the sequels, but I'd say that the first one is comfortably the best pirate movie ever made (that I've seen, at least, though I'm not sure there is much competition in that field). Really good story to it, and obviously one of the most iconic movie characters to come out in over a decade, in a very charismatic Jack Sparrow.

Frozen is actually a superb movie, if you can give it a chance and actually watch it rather than doing the whole "it's so popular I'm going to not watch it/give it a chance because I'm hip as fuck" thing. There is a reason for its overwhelming popularity beyond a few great comedy moments for kids (provided mostly by Olaf of course), it just ticks all of the boxes... and then goes ahead and does a whole lot to break the stereotypical expectations we'd have from a Disney movie. On the surface it looks like a particularly girly movie, but in honestly the most girly thing about it is that it just happens to star two female characters... yes, there is romance and talk of "true love", but it's in no way the focus, the focus here is on the relationship between sisters/family. And in fact, it uses the expectations we'd have of a movie like this to tell its story to greatest effect, drawing you into thinking it's going down certain routes and treading that well worn path of most Disney movies, only to throw a couple of curve balls in there to really keep it unique.
I have no problem with it finishing 12, it did very well on my own list. And as for those who (somehow) haven't seen it yet, I really do think that it's worth you giving it a go... and I'm certain that you'll like it more than you expect to.

Cool Runnings... I've never actually seen :eek: I always see so much about it... damn... maybe that 11th placed finish is enough to get me to finally check it out.

Up is fantastic, and again, did well on my list... but let's be honest, if it wasn't for that brilliant/heartbreaking opening sequence, it'd have probably not finished half so high. That's not to say that the movie isn't still full of great stuff (a very mature subject matter for a Disney movie, Kevin and, most importantly, Doug), it's just, damn, that opening sequence is powerful stuff.

The Jungle Book is fucking brilliant, and was actually the first movie I ever owned on VHS. Watched the living shit out of it as a kid. So many great songs, characters and what not. Fuck me I love that film.

If Toy Story 2 were the only Toy Story movie ever released, it may well have won this entire thing I reckon, it only gets downplayed due to how great the other two movies are. Such a fantastic film by its own right, and it always seems so harsh to call it the "weakest" of the 3 films, because there is nothing weak about it.

Finding Nemo is such a weird one for me... I watched it yonks ago, and remember liking it, but I just don't remember all that much about it. I've had it on Blu Ray for ages... damn I really need to see it again. I just don't know why I haven't. I love Pixar movies, and it's often seen as one of their very best. The fact that I've only ever watched it once, and that was a long time ago, makes no sense to me :lol:

Beauty and the Beast, obviously a classic and one of Disney animations very strongest outings. I feel as if I put it far too low on my own list... in fact, I don't even remember if I put it on there. Fucking hell Oaf.

As for the final 5... I'm hoping:

5) Monsters Inc
4) Aladdin
3) Toy Story 3
2) The Lion King
1) Toy Story

Monsters Inc is fine, but I've never really seen why some (mostly on here from what I see) seem to regard it quite so highly. Top 20 would have been about right, top 10 is pushing it, but top 5 seems quite an injustice to the other movies on this list.

As for the other 4... can't really pick between them. I'm sure that the above order I've put them in is different from what I had on my own list, but that only goes to show how close I rate them all in my head :lol:

Pyeman

Reaction score
Supports
Burnley
1 Lion King
2 Toy Story
3 Aladdin
4 Toy Story 3
5 Monsters Inc

This is the correct answer.

Frozen is actually a superb movie, if you can give it a chance and actually watch it rather than doing the whole "it's so popular I'm going to not watch it/give it a chance because I'm hip as fuck" thing. There is a reason for its overwhelming popularity beyond a few great comedy moments for kids (provided mostly by Olaf of course), it just ticks all of the boxes... and then goes ahead and does a whole lot to break the stereotypical expectations we'd have from a Disney movie.

My boss at work introduces the idea of gender constructs to our A-Level students using Disney films. He goes through the more traditional films like Cindarella with very clear and defined gender roles, then he develops the idea with Frozen and how Disney now portray women as much stronger characters in their own right. The most significant thing about the film as you point out is the unexpected ending, where the true love needed to save the day is sisterly love, again moving away from the notion women need a man to rescue them.

I think that's why I still love Disney films now, even as an adult. They're obviously entertaining, but there's a whole other level to the narratives that you don't really pick up on as a kid.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
My boss at work introduces the idea of gender constructs to our A-Level students using Disney films. He goes through the more traditional films like Cindarella with very clear and defined gender roles, then he develops the idea with Frozen and how Disney now portray women as much stronger characters in their own right. The most significant thing about the film as you point out is the unexpected ending, where the true love needed to save the day is sisterly love, again moving away from the notion women need a man to rescue them.

I think that's why I still love Disney films now, even as an adult. They're obviously entertaining, but there's a whole other level to the narratives that you don't really pick up on as a kid.

Agree with this. To be fair, a lot of the earlier Disney films were very set in their pre-1950s gender construct ways. Not just with portraying the women as helpless damsels who needed a man to save them, but also a lot of the men were quite lily livered and didnt really have to work very hard to be the hero. Look at Snow White and Cinderella. The dwarves and the mice do all the work, and the prince just turns up at the end and gets the girl! I think thats why I always loved Sleeping Beauty, because it was the first one really where the Prince really had to fight for the princess. They've got better and better since then really. Some of the best Disney villains are female, Ursula, Madame Mim, Cruella De Ville, Madame Medusa, Malificent, and there are plenty of good strong female protagonists, Ariel, Miss Bianca, Belle, Esmerelda, Mulan. But the thing about Disney is that they havent gone all full on over the top feminist overkill. As they have fleshed out their portrayal of females, while still doing the same thing with their male characters. Simba, Eric, the Beast, and more recently, Flynn and Kristoff.

Pyeman

Reaction score
Supports
Burnley
Agree with this. To be fair, a lot of the earlier Disney films were very set in their pre-1950s gender construct ways. Not just with portraying the women as helpless damsels who needed a man to save them, but also a lot of the men were quite lily livered and didnt really have to work very hard to be the hero. Look at Snow White and Cinderella. The dwarves and the mice do all the work, and the prince just turns up at the end and gets the girl! I think thats why I always loved Sleeping Beauty, because it was the first one really where the Prince really had to fight for the princess. They've got better and better since then really. Some of the best Disney villains are female, Ursula, Madame Mim, Cruella De Ville, Madame Medusa, Malificent, and there are plenty of good strong female protagonists, Ariel, Miss Bianca, Belle, Esmerelda, Mulan. But the thing about Disney is that they havent gone all full on over the top feminist overkill. As they have fleshed out their portrayal of females, while still doing the same thing with their male characters. Simba, Eric, the Beast, and more recently, Flynn and Kristoff.

That's an interesting point on films like Snow White and Cindarella. I'd never considered how the men are portrayed in the films.

Now I do think about it, some of those earlier films really do glorify the roles of the men without them having to do practically anything.

mnb089mnb

Ian
Reaction score
Supports
Coral.co.uk & Ladbrokes.com
Twitter
@taylorswift13

tumblr_kr8nybGVqn1qzmvbao1_5001.jpg

Murphy

Bloody Nice Chap
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham & Redbridge and Stephen Mulhern.
Twitter
@NickMurphy1995
Jungle Book not being in the top 5 is criminal, probably the best 'old' Disney movie ever, and that soundtrack as well. Who honestly hasn't gone round the house singing bear necessities?

I quite liked Toy Story 2, too, shame that's below Toy Story 3 for me, Clive.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
I'm the only person I know who finds Finding Nemo a shit film. Dory is bloody annoying and the only good characters in it are the sharks.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
Crazy arsed first day back at work. I've just stopped and need a few hours to chill so this will resume tomorrow evening with 5th place being unveiled.

FARCE.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
5th) Aladdin (17) (5) (17) (15) (8) (12) (12) (8) (9) (18) (15) (16) = 152
jasmine-1436817111.gif

Making 12 lists but perhaps surprisingly not topping any, Aladdin squeezes into our top 5. I must admit, I expected it to finish a little higher but I'd say 5th is perhaps right. I think Aladdin has been so successful for a number of reasons. A very likeable main character with an amusing sidekick. An excellent evil villain. And the crowning glory, Robin Williams playing the fantastic genie. Added to a compelling story and consistently superb soundtrack, Aladdin ticks every Disney box going. It was one of my favourite childhood film and it's rare I meet anybody who dislikes it. I'd be intrigued actually if any of you dislike it over what exactly there is to dislike because I just think it's brilliant.

large.gif

Iconic Disney songs

I chose two songs here. The classic and a personal favourite. First up, we have the song everybody thinks of when they think of Aladdin. A Whole New World is one of the best Disney love songs there is, if not the best. Although it's been covered awfully in recent memory, it's a fantastic duet that really captures the on screen imagery at the time. I've also gone for 'Friend like me'. Although not a 'classic' it's a Robin Williams track and he deserves some recognition for his fantastic portrayal of the Genie throughout. 'Friend like me' is upbeat, fun and slightly mad but it highlights Robin Williams' voice work tremendously.

IMDB rating: 8.0
Rotten Tomatoes: 94%

4 remain..............

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
4th) Toy Story 3 (19) (9) (15) (15) (16) (15) (13) (9) (19) (12) (18) (9) (2) = 171
tumblr_lf8mocawSj1qa6ql2o1_500.gif

Streaking 19 points clear of Aladdin and making 13 lists (but not topping any) is Toy Story 3. The third of one of the best ever film trilogies lives up to the level that the previous two set. Set 11 years after the 2nd, Toy Story 3 manages to maintain it's original charm and this is thanks largely to the original cast of voice actors still able to conjure up the old magic of wit and humour.

The story sees a grown up Andy leave for college and his Mum accidentally throws the toys into the rubbish. The toys jump into a charity box and their adventures all take place in a daycare facility. As with any Toy Story film, there's ups and downs, doubts and excitement, oh and a villainous toy. There are some excellent moments throughout. I particularly like the break out attempt from the Daycare centre and the whole Barbie/Ken interactions. There are also a couple of heart rendering moments. One being when the toys creep towards a furnace, look doomed yet clutch hands ready to be together in their final moments. That one got me in the cinema. Another moment was the ending of the film where Andy gives his toys away. I think any adult can empathise with that and it represent a completed journey across 3 films. A fantastic film and although 4th may be a little high, it definitely deserves it's place in the top 10.

toy-story-andy-woody.gif

IMDB rating: 8.4
Rotten Tomatoes: 99%

mistermagic

Reaction score
Supports
Stoke City (I don't make the rules, Epic73 does)
Twitter
@FinallyFifou
Can't believe this Toy Story bollocks is finishing ahead of Big Al. Shame on all of you!

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Dat furnace scene doe :(

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
TS3 was better than the first I thought. Furnace scene would've made me cry if the music they used wasn't so dramatic.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I've seen Frozen many many more times than I would have liked but agree with above, it is actually a pretty good film. Got pushed out of my top 20 late on but it will stand the test of time.

Only one complaint of the top 5 is Nemo most definitely, 100% should have been there. It's a top 3 film.

Other than that, Lion King should rightfully walk it. Toy Story 2nd. Monsters Inc 3rd. Though I've not actually seen Aladdin since it was first released so could be doing it a injustice there.

Murphy

Bloody Nice Chap
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham & Redbridge and Stephen Mulhern.
Twitter
@NickMurphy1995
I've never seen Lion King.

Does that make me a bad person?

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
3rd) Monsters Inc (9) (10) (16) (6) (14) (6) (15) (9) (17) (14) (7) (18) (10) (16) (11) (1) = 180

Perhaps a shock this, Monsters Inc beats various Disney classics to finish as YOUR 3rd favourite ever Disney/Pixar film. Strangely, Monsters Inc made an unbelievable 16 lists but only reached the top 5 in 4 of them. Perhaps that shows that it's a widely appreciated movie but not many rate it as one of the very best. I think that ties in with my own opinion. I love the film but putting my critical head on, it's not a 'classic', it's just an incredibly easy watch.

I think the mass appeal towards Monsters Inc comes from it's concept. It's so simple it's ingenious. Monsters scare children to provide an energy source. Everybody can relate to a fear/curiosity about monsters when they were younger and it's fascinating to watch a film about what potentially could have been a monster's perspective when you were younger. Alongside this, the characters are great throughout. My favourite though is Roz. "Alllllllllwaaaaaaaaaaaaays watching"

Monsters Inc also has a simple yet captivating story. The relationship between Mike and Sully works brilliantly throughout and the supporting characters play their part. The design of the monsters' world is superb as well. Every monster has a unique look with different characteristics. It's very easy on the eye. Some will be outraged at this but Monsters Inc has a charm and appeal and was a staple of money of this forum's childhood I imagine.

tumblr_n2186wxPMb1rd4558o1_500.gif

IMDB rating: 8.1

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

So, we're down to the final 2!

I can tell you remarkably that the top 2 absolutely trounced everything else. There was only 6 points between them and the lead changed various times throughout. 2nd place finished 91 points clear of 3rd just to give you an indication or how 'two sided' this was.

So who won? Find out tomorrow evening!

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
Monsters Inc has massively over achieved here. Like I said before, around 20th is around about where I'd have thought it would be...

I feel like I need to give it another watch to see what I'm missing. It's very good, but third?! Madness!

Not surprised to see that Toy Story and Lion King walked this though... they're the best by a fair bit, I reckon.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Maybe not top 3 (I had it 5th tbf) but definitely far better than 20th. It's in that elite group of Pixar films with Toy Story (1,2,3) and Finding Nemo imo. Watertight nearly faultless film.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
Agree, I love Monsters Inc and it placed very highly on my list too. Great characters, looks beautiful, very funny, and like all the best Disney films, has a lot of heart.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
2nd) The Lion King (18) (20) (17) (20) (20) (17) (16) (19) (17) (18) (20) (18) (17) (8) (14) (12) = 271
giphy.gif

Making a whopping 16 lists and coming top on 4 of them, The Lion King storms to an impressive 271 points............but it's not quite enough to take the title. It was leading for quite a bit of the way but a late surge by our victor saw it overtaken.

The Lion King is a cracking Disney and heralded by many as the best. A combination of emotion, stunning scenary and possibly one of the best film soundtracks ever make this a must watch. TLK also has a superb villain (arguably the best) in Scar. A pure nasty and manipulative piece of work who is responsible for one of the most shocking deaths in film history during the sublime stampede scene. "Long live the kinggggg"

I could ramble on about this for ages but I won't do it enough superlatives. If you haven't seen it (I'm looking at you Murphy) you have to, it's a masterpiece.

Iconic Disney songs

I could list about 6 or 7 songs here. From the amazing opening of "Circle of Life" to the romantic ballad "Can you feel the love tonight?". You also have the fantastic 'Hakuna Matata" midway through the film that shows Simba's transition from child to adult. But I'm going to be a bit selfish here and show my two favourites, possibly two that get a little lost amongst more commercial hits.

Jeremy Irons' voice work throughout is one of the finest things about The Lion King. His one solo song though is my favourite ever Disney song. It's tremendously dark, full of rasp and venon whilst containing excellent lyrics if you listen closely. It portrays Scar as the evil bastard that he truly is whilst setting out his intentions for the rest of the film. Just superb.

Another one of my all time favourites. Along with Hakuna Matata, this is the feel good song of The Lion King. However, whilst Hakuna Matata appeared to be the break out song of the film, I always preferred this. I love the imagery throughout, the beat is extremely catchy and it's impossible to not smile whilst listening. Superb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=193&v=HwSKkKrUzUk

A shameful edit. I can't not include this really can I. It's as iconic as it gets really. A stunning opening sequence with a stunning sountrack.

IMDB rating: 8.5
Rotten Tomatoes: 91%

1st) Toy Story (20) (2) (10) (16) (18) (14) (19) (17) (12) (8) (19) (16) (16) (20) (19) (20) (15) (16) = 277
article-2261943-16EB459B000005DC-367_634x369.jpg

I think there were around twenty lists entered into this so for Toy Story to make 18 lists is a sensational effort, topping 3. Whilst maybe not the most popular winner (as I think many had their heart set on The Lion King), it would be harsh to say this is not deserved as Toy Story has been an instant hit with children from any generation since it's release 20 years ago.

The film has barely aged a day with superb voice acting and animation that would pass if it was released in cinema tomorrow. The storyline is a big part of Toy Story's success. Themes of jealously, acceptance and survival are displayed throughout and allow you to empathise with the characters immediately. Talking of the characters, I would say it is them that make Toy Story. The instantly recognisable voices of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen create two main characters that have become icons. The supporting cast though are just as effective. Everybody had a favourite whether it was Slinky, Rex, Potato Head or Ham. They each had their own amusing quirk that made the viewer laugh. Also, Sid was a bloody good villain. Although not downright evil, his sheer size compared to the toys and his nasty streak made him a very dangerous foe.

tumblr_ntcc7uRAZE1upygi4o1_500.gif

Again, I could talk about different elements of this for ages which is a testament to how much of a good film it is, for children and adults. A worthy winner.

Iconic Disney Song

Although not sung by any characters or appearing at any point other than during the opening and closing credits, Randy Newman's song became synonymous with Toy Story. It just works. I don't even know how to analyse why it works but it just does. Maybe it's Andy's voice in between lyrics or the relaxed, happy tone initially. I really don't know. But this is a cracking film tune nonetheless.

IMDB rating: 8.3
Rotten Tomatoes: 100%

Last edited:

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
Also, just a few separate lists for you to consider, from your votes.

Disney top 20

1) The Lion King
2) Aladdin
3) Beauty and the Beast
4) The Jungle Book
5) Frozen
6) The Little Mermaid
7) Robin Hood
8) Pinocchio
9) The Sword in the Stone
10) Dumbo
11) Lady and the Tramp
12) Peter Pan
13) Hercules
14) Mulan
15) Big Hero 6
16) The Aristocats
17) The Hunchback of Notre Dame
18) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
19) Tangled
20) Sleeping Beauty

Pixar top 10

1) Toy Story
2) Monsters Inc
3) Toy Story 3
4) Finding Nemo
5) Toy Story 2
6) Up
7) The Incredibles
8) A Bug's Life
9) WALL-E
10) Cars

Live action top 10

1) Cool Runnings
2) Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl
3) Mary Poppins
4) The Mighty Ducks
5) Muppet Christmas Carol
6) Bedknobs and Broomsticks
7) National Treasure
8) Honey I shrunk the Kids
9) Pete's Dragon
10) Homeward Bound

I've really enjoyed running this. Thanks to everyone who submitted a list and who responded to my nagging PMs. I think we've had so many lists that sometimes they get missed on the forum or people think I'll do that later and forget. Sometimes a little push is all that's needed to get something up and running. Thank you for all the comments and analysis you've provided in here as well, I've enjoyed reading them. Maybe I'll repeat this feature in 2-3 years and we'll see if any placings dramatically change.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Lion King has greatest opening sequence to any film ever tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!