Tues 28/Weds 29 Mar, 1 April

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Suppose it depends how you look at it how happy Wednesday should be. On the one hand from 2-0 to get one more point closer to promotion is a good thing. On the other hand the last week really hasn’t left much more margin for error given Ipswich have the GD advantage.

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
Mixed feelings after that, obviously gutted we couldn't hold on but Wednesday absolutely battered us last 15 mins and should have won it in the end.

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
Suppose it depends how you look at it how happy Wednesday should be. On the one hand from 2-0 to get one more point closer to promotion is a good thing. On the other hand the last week really hasn’t left much more margin for error given Ipswich have the GD advantage.
With the chances they missed in stoppage time I don't think they'll be happy!

Tea Towel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday

We’ve taken 2 points from 12 and completely fucked the games in hand we had. If anyones happy just because we came from 2 down they aren’t wired up right.

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Haven’t played a game for over a week and yet we’re in a better position now than when we last played.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Considering we’ve not played in ages, it’s been a quality week.

Since we last played:
- Sheffield Wednesday lost at Barnsley
- Sheffield Wednesday lost at Forest Green
- Barnsley lost at Exeter
- Sheffield Wednesday drew at Cheltenham

If we can win at Derby Saturday, it’s been the biggest week for us of the season. Momentum, belief, form and goal difference would all be on our side.

Tea Towel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Considering we’ve not played in ages, it’s been a quality week.

Since we last played:
- Sheffield Wednesday lost at Barnsley
- Sheffield Wednesday lost at Forest Green
- Barnsley lost at Exeter
- Sheffield Wednesday drew at Cheltenham

If we can win at Derby Saturday, it’s been the biggest week for us of the season. Momentum, belief, form and goal difference would all be on our side.

You’ve got to keep it going for another 9 games though.. not easy

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
You’ve got to keep it going for another 9 games though.. not easy

We're not conceding goals though - zero in the last seven games.

Wednesday seem to be imploding in what are, on paper, easy fixtures.

A couple of weeks back I said you would be rightful Champions, I now would be disappointed if we finish behind you. Albeit, I'd take it providing we finished 2nd.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Mixed feelings after that, obviously gutted we couldn't hold on but Wednesday absolutely battered us last 15 mins and should have won it in the end.
I said to a bloke in the queue for the toilet after the game - it was a strange feeling. I was both gutted but full of pride. Wednesday will say they were shite, and blah blah blah, but we were fantastic from the first minute and only Stockdale kept them in the game in the first half.

Wednesday came at us at the start of the second half, but once we rode that 5-10 mins we were brilliant again and deserved our lead. Going 2-0 was just wonderful. Unfortunately, we just didn't have the fitness to keep going and the last 15 Wednesday were all over us, but for 75 mins we were the better team, and we've not been able to say that much at all this season.

Had that shot gone in at the end I think it would have been a travesty of a result.

Not one to criticise a fanbase for noise, especially supporting Cheltenham, but the Wednesday fans were extremely quiet last night - almost nervy - and I wonder if that seeped into the players until they got their goal back.

Tea Towel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
We're not conceding goals though - zero in the last seven games.

Wednesday seem to be imploding in what are, on paper, easy fixtures.

A couple of weeks back I said you would be rightful Champions, I now would be disappointed if we finish behind you. Albeit, I'd take it providing we finished 2nd.

Agree we are but I wasn’t talking about us. Form can change quickly which was my point. We broke the club clean sheet record the other week and now we’re all over the place. To keep it going you’ll have to put a 16/17 game run together. I’m sure you’re capable of it though.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Massive game against Derby. I'm a natural pessimist so I'm not very confident about this one. When I look at their squad, it's very good so I'm surprised about their recent downturn in form. Hopefully they come at us, as this suits our play a lot more. If we beat them, I will start to feel a bit optimistic about the potential for top 2.

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Massive game against Derby. I'm a natural pessimist so I'm not very confident about this one. When I look at their squad, it's very good so I'm surprised about their recent downturn in form. Hopefully they come at us, as this suits our play a lot more. If we beat them, I will start to feel a bit optimistic about the potential for top 2.
Downturn in form could be down to some ageing players playing big parts in a long season

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Agree we are but I wasn’t talking about us. Form can change quickly which was my point. We broke the club clean sheet record the other week and now we’re all over the place. To keep it going you’ll have to put a 16/17 game run together. I’m sure you’re capable of it though.

Can't argue with that.

Plenty of banana skins ahead, starting with Derby away. They've looked more than indifferent recently; but we only need to slip up once or twice in the remaining games. Hopefully we're peaking just at the right time.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
I said to a bloke in the queue for the toilet after the game - it was a strange feeling. I was both gutted but full of pride. Wednesday will say they were shite, and blah blah blah, but we were fantastic from the first minute and only Stockdale kept them in the game in the first half.

Wednesday came at us at the start of the second half, but once we rode that 5-10 mins we were brilliant again and deserved our lead. Going 2-0 was just wonderful. Unfortunately, we just didn't have the fitness to keep going and the last 15 Wednesday were all over us, but for 75 mins we were the better team, and we've not been able to say that much at all this season.

Had that shot gone in at the end I think it would have been a travesty of a result.

Not one to criticise a fanbase for noise, especially supporting Cheltenham, but the Wednesday fans were extremely quiet last night - almost nervy - and I wonder if that seeped into the players until they got their goal back.
I’ve said on here before I always hope to see Cheltenham do well as it’s an area I love (purely for the racing Festival in March every year) and it’s full of good people.

I did genuinely want yous to stay up as I said earlier in the year on the relegation thread. I’d noticed your upturn in form in recent weeks but to be getting results against Sheffield Wednesday and Peterborough of late means surely you’re going to be fine? It’s one thing getting a one off result (Forest Green the other day being the obvious example) but an unbeaten run at this stage in the season for a side down the bottom surely means you’ll be playing league 1 again next season. Just hopefully not against us!

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Can't argue with that.

Plenty of banana skins ahead, starting with Derby away. They've looked more than indifferent recently; but we only need to slip up once or twice in the remaining games. Hopefully we're peaking just at the right time.
It does have the feeling on twitter and TWTD as being one of the biggest games for us in years. Hopefully we don’t bottle it. Sheffield Wednesday (a) and Plymouth (h) both felt huge at the time too and we played well both times I thought but ultimately failed to get the 3 points. If we can play like we did those days but not panic as the game goes into the last 15 minutes, I’m very hopeful of getting what would be a huge win.

Am looking forward to the trip. Last time I went to Pride Park we got beat I believe but it was an end of season game and meant nothing to either side. Whereas Saturday is huge for both teams.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’ve said on here before I always hope to see Cheltenham do well as it’s an area I love (purely for the racing Festival in March every year) and it’s full of good people.

I did genuinely want yous to stay up as I said earlier in the year on the relegation thread. I’d noticed your upturn in form in recent weeks but to be getting results against Sheffield Wednesday and Peterborough of late means surely you’re going to be fine? It’s one thing getting a one off result (Forest Green the other day being the obvious example) but an unbeaten run at this stage in the season for a side down the bottom surely means you’ll be playing league 1 again next season. Just hopefully not against us!
I've felt we were safe for a while now - there's no way Accrington will get 10 more points than us in the final 8 games of the season.

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham

I think we're pretty much there, maybe one more win would do it but with the form of the bottom 5 we might already have enough points on the board.

Looking forward to our game against you over Easter, was one of the most enjoyable games last season - similar to last night, at home under the lights and holding our own against one of the bigger teams. Mad that we're actually unbeaten against you, largely down to a double dose of shithousing at Portman Road :whistle::bg:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
That's Cheltenham safe now I would say, would need Accrington to win 3 and draw 1 of 8 and form suggests that's not overly likely to happen.

Cheltenham on the day's we played them were really poor both times, arguably the poorest we have faced (although typically we drew both of them due to wastefulness!) so fair play to them they seem to have turned their form around and picked up some really impressive results in recent weeks. Their commentary team were really negative about their chances when we played them of getting out the mess.

Looks like Burton and below are the ones in the scrap still, all be it Burton probably need 1 more win and have 10 to play.

The top is getting lively although looking at the fixtures Wednesday still have a decent chance with their run in, you'd expect them to win their home games and away trips don't look too tricky on paper so if just a blip I am sure they will turn it around, I expect at home they will be too strong for Lincoln which should kick start them.

The point probably keeps Wednesday in a good position and in their own hands.

Ipswich have been solid defensively but a lot of their run has been against sides down the bottom so some tricky tests to come, could go down to the wire.

Derby are the ones most likely to miss out on the top 6 for me from currently in it, I was stunned that their form last 10 is actually only slightly better than ours average just over a point a game.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
That's Cheltenham safe now I would say, would need Accrington to win 3 and draw 1 of 8 and form suggests that's not overly likely to happen.

Cheltenham on the day's we played them were really poor both times, arguably the poorest we have faced (although typically we drew both of them due to wastefulness!) so fair play to them they seem to have turned their form around and picked up some really impressive results in recent weeks. Their commentary team were really negative about their chances when we played them of getting out the mess.
It's not been pretty at times this season and, before we played Fleetwood in the first weekend in March, Wade Elliott was in the very last chance saloon. The common consensus being that he needed to beat one of Fleetwood and Lincoln in the next two games (Fleetwood was Saturday, Lincoln the following Tuesday) to keep his job.

We got 4 points and it helped, but then following that we beat Peterborough 3-0 away and all of a sudden we're playing with a bit of confidence. To follow that up with another win against Exeter - thanks to our famously dodgy pitch according to one Exeter fan - and last night's performance has meant that we're all being made to eat our words about Wade.

This season was a transitional one - Michael Duff left because he couldn't take us any further, we lost a lot of backroom staff to clubs higher than us, we lost a couple of our best players (and by that I mean best in the club's history) and the replacements took time to bed in. Wade was on a hiding to nothing, and I was prepared for him to have the whole season - some were very quick to jump on his back though because he's not the most passionate in interviews. He made us stronger defensively, but until March we didn't score 3 goals in a League game. In fact we have still scored less than a goal a game, despite scoring 8 in our last 3!!!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
It's not been pretty at times this season and, before we played Fleetwood in the first weekend in March, Wade Elliott was in the very last chance saloon. The common consensus being that he needed to beat one of Fleetwood and Lincoln in the next two games (Fleetwood was Saturday, Lincoln the following Tuesday) to keep his job.

We got 4 points and it helped, but then following that we beat Peterborough 3-0 away and all of a sudden we're playing with a bit of confidence. To follow that up with another win against Exeter - thanks to our famously dodgy pitch according to one Exeter fan - and last night's performance has meant that we're all being made to eat our words about Wade.

This season was a transitional one - Michael Duff left because he couldn't take us any further, we lost a lot of backroom staff to clubs higher than us, we lost a couple of our best players (and by that I mean best in the club's history) and the replacements took time to bed in. Wade was on a hiding to nothing, and I was prepared for him to have the whole season - some were very quick to jump on his back though because he's not the most passionate in interviews. He made us stronger defensively, but until March we didn't score 3 goals in a League game. In fact we have still scored less than a goal a game, despite scoring 8 in our last 3!!!
Its a solid turnaround and like MK at the right time.

Its hard to see past Accrington and Morecambe joining Cambridge and FGR in L2 next season at the moment with the form they are both in and the run ins they have, felt Exeter was one Accrington would be targeting getting something from and they got pumped 5-0 and Morecambe's home record has deserted them lately.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I'm sure I have it right, but if both go down then it will be the first time in the histories of both Forest Green and Morecambe.

In Forest Green's case that is only because they were reprieved on one occasion (I'm sure it was just the one).

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I'm sure I have it right, but if both go down then it will be the first time in the histories of both Forest Green and Morecambe.

In Forest Green's case that is only because they were reprieved on one occasion (I'm sure it was just the one).
Was it one, I seem to recall it being multiple years in the 00's but I could be very wrong of course!

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Supports
FGR

I think that's right, which I believe would leave Arsenal as the only club in the league never to have suffered relegation. And I think they're already safe this year.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I think that's right, which I believe would leave Arsenal as the only club in the league never to have suffered relegation. And I think they're already safe this year.
Arsenal were relegated in 1912/13, finishing bottom of Division 1.

They then bought their way into Division 1 at the end of the First World War having finished 5th in the 1914/15 table.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
I see we have Wednesday at home and Argyle away over a 7 day period. Could be interesting ?

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR

Twice. Thanks to Salisbury and errr someone else. (Edit: Northwich Victoria)

Apparently we have been relegated once before, back in the 1950s, in the depths of one of the Gloucestershire leagues.

I've absolutely no idea when (or if) we've ever finished a season with a worse goal difference than the one we will end up with this year though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!