Tues 28/Weds 29 Mar, 1 April

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
An OK performance but results are most important at this stage of the season so a valuable 3 points. Forest Green weren't interested in attacking until we went ahead. We tailed off a bit after that and both teams subsequently had a few half chances.

Another triumph for our medical team who cleared Clark Robertson to start the game and then pull a hamstring second half. This has happened so many times this season that it's beyond a joke now.

However, we find ourselves somehow only 3 points off the play-offs and looking forward to a two-leg semi against Wednesday :animatedf:

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Happy with that, well worth the win today. Port Vale were poor but that’s not our fault, we were actually fairly decent.

If, and it’s “a big IF”, we beat fleetwood on Friday then the great escape is on. At the moment this is just one good win in an otherwise poor season.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Happy with that, well worth the win today. Port Vale were poor but that’s not our fault, we were actually fairly decent.

If, and it’s “a big IF”, we beat fleetwood on Friday then the great escape is on. At the moment this is just one good win in an otherwise poor season.

You were to be honest. Thought you moved the ball through the lines pretty nicely or a lot better than I was thinking. Definitely the worthy winner, no arguments there.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Cracker of an away trip. Very much the better side and worthy of the three points.

I think we might just do it. I really do.

SuffolkBlue

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Cracker of an away trip. Very much the better side and worthy of the three points.

I think we might just do it. I really do.
Was up there with one of the best this season. We’re a different side with our January signings. They say decisions evened out over the season, didn’t see much in their disallowed goal but we’ve definitely earned the luck. Knew we had a run like this in us

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
You were to be honest. Thought you moved the ball through the lines pretty nicely or a lot better than I was thinking. Definitely the worthy winner, no arguments there.
What lines? The midfield was none existent second half! It’s the most angry I’ve been walking out of Vale Park for a long long time and that takes some doing with some of the shit we’ve endured down the years.

It’s a working class club, minimum, absolute minimum is work rate and effort, second home game in a row we didn’t fancy it and were on the beach. If we were safe I’d forgive that a little but we are far from it yet!

Interesting interview with DC after, he’s clearly apoplectic and gone nuts in there and rightly so. Told some of them they’ve “run their race” and he’s finally lost patience.

Nuts how we picked up 32 points, beat Derby and Plymouth away, won as many as we lost and looked a very decent side first half of the season yet look a mess since and only 13 points second half of the season. That said we play like we did last week we win today, we are so up and down performance wise and at home for whatever reason we’ve completely downed tools.

That today was cowardly.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Our record against the top 7 is pretty daft really considering where we are in the league - only lost 3 out of 12 against them with the two games against Posh (0-4 and 0-3) being anomalies in terms of performances.

We've only won 4 out of 12 against the bottom 7 and 3 out of 12 against the top 7. :lol:

Anyway, good point today given the side that was out there and players out of position.

SuffolkBlue

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Our record against the top 7 is pretty daft really considering where we are in the league - only lost 3 out of 12 against them with the two games against Posh (0-4 and 0-3) being anomalies in terms of performances.

We've only won 4 out of 12 against the bottom 7 and 3 out of 12 against the top 7. :lol:

Anyway, good point today given the side that was out there and players out of position.
Your defensive performance at PR was the best I’ve seen in years

Pompeyblueboy

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Yep once they got the first the question really was only how many they’d score not if we’d fight back. We look on the beach certainly in the home games. Away the performances have been generally better as we did at Portsmouth last week.
We wern't very good at Pompey either

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
What lines? The midfield was none existent second half! It’s the most angry I’ve been walking out of Vale Park for a long long time and that takes some doing with some of the shit we’ve endured down the years.

It’s a working class club, minimum, absolute minimum is work rate and effort, second home game in a row we didn’t fancy it and were on the beach. If we were safe I’d forgive that a little but we are far from it yet!

Interesting interview with DC after, he’s clearly apoplectic and gone nuts in there and rightly so. Told some of them they’ve “run their race” and he’s finally lost patience.

Nuts how we picked up 32 points, beat Derby and Plymouth away, won as many as we lost and looked a very decent side first half of the season yet look a mess since and only 13 points second half of the season. That said we play like we did last week we win today, we are so up and down performance wise and at home for whatever reason we’ve completely downed tools.

That today was cowardly.

The rest of the post I agree with but you lose me with the bit about not being safe yet. With 7 games to go trust me the multiple teams that would need to make up the 10 point gap plus GD in terms of the bottom four is simply not going to happen.

His post-match interview was a milder version of his “I can’t wait to get rid of the deadwood” one he did after we lost Mansfield in his first season. Does suggest he is going to be pretty ruthless like he was then once it comes to the retained list in a months time. In truth it can’t come too soon.

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
Played like we lost that match on purpose to me. No effort sliced clearances missed placed passes on the beach half arsed crap. I've basically decided now that I won't be having a season ticket next season now as I've had enough of it.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The rest of the post I agree with but you lose me with the bit about not being safe yet. With 7 games to go trust me the multiple teams that would need to make up the 10 point gap plus GD in terms of the bottom four is simply not going to happen.

His post-match interview was a milder version of his “I can’t wait to get rid of the deadwood” one he did after we lost Mansfield in his first season. Does suggest he is going to be pretty ruthless like he was then once it comes to the retained list in a months time. In truth it can’t come too soon.

We haven't played a game since 18th March, yet are still the same amount of points from 21st as we were then. Same league position too!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

If we lose to Stanley which if we play like today we will heavily then it’s only 7? Granted FGR and Morecambe are gone, hard to judge Cambridge on that as any Professional side beats us on that showing but we still need a win to be sure and on todays showing that’s unlikely!

The fact he’s pretty much told some of them times up won’t exactly help get 100% for the rest of the season. The Mansfield game was end of season.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Played like we lost that match on purpose to me. No effort sliced clearances missed placed passes on the beach half arsed crap. I've basically decided now that I won't be having a season ticket next season now as I've had enough of it.
Aaron Donnelly man. Early doors plays a stunning cross field pass to Wozza, it was DJesque after that he was absolutely toss. He’s been that poor on a few occasions, was Derek any worse against Burton? He’s not ready for league one and I would be bringing Mal back in and moving Forrester to LCB with Sammy RCB.

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
One of the best games we've seen at Highbury all year. 2 really good sides with plenty of cracking football all over. Fleetwood will be disappointed not to have won it but a draw was probably a fair result. Great away support considering the distance and hope they arrive safely back before Easter

coronakopite

Reaction score
Supports
cambridge united
Just back.

Jaw is aching from the grin.

One of the few times I'm pleased that the forum is full of Vale fans.

Met up with my long lost cousin who is a Vale fan. Enjoyed some Titanic and Oatcakes in the Bull's Head. Told him we're gone and Vale were welcome to the points to ease the stress that their fans seem to be experiencing. He warned me that there'd be no goal threat, the back 3 weren't capable of playing out as DC required and the midfield were not up to it. He was right on all 3 points.

I'm not expecting us to win more than one more and at best, with a following wind, get to 43 points but who knows? I'll be there for the ride.

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
Aaron Donnelly man. Early doors plays a stunning cross field pass to Wozza, it was DJesque after that he was absolutely toss. He’s been that poor on a few occasions, was Derek any worse against Burton? He’s not ready for league one and I would be bringing Mal back in and moving Forrester to LCB with Sammy RCB.
For me I'd set up in a different formation and try something different as teams know what formation were going play as it's the same every week. Clarke slagged John askey off for playing 433 every week but he does the same every week with the 532 3 centre backs and 2 wing backs formation.

We don't have a great record at Accrington either only won there once on a Tuesday night 2 1 Craig Davies and Kris Taylor scored. You can right off Ipswich and Plymouth games as losses already, even if we play well against them were still losing.

I don't know if donelly is actually a left wing back playing as a left centre back or not and we're having to play him there as we have nobody else to play that position as hall got sold and Jones injured for the rest of the season.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
For me I'd set up in a different formation and try something different as teams know what formation were going play as it's the same every week. Clarke slagged John askey off for playing 433 every week but he does the same every week with the 532 3 centre backs and 2 wing backs formation.

We don't have a great record at Accrington either only won there once on a Tuesday night 2 1 Craig Davies and Kris Taylor scored. You can right off Ipswich and Plymouth games as losses already, even if we play well against them were still losing.

I don't know if donelly is actually a left wing back playing as a left centre back or not and we're having to play him there as we have nobody else to play that position as hall got sold and Jones injured for the rest of the season.
Forrester is a left centre back so never get why not play him there and Sammy at RCB until Cass is back, can’t be much worse.

Mal had a good game last week so weird to drop him.

What frustrated me most though is Woz was murdering their number 11 yet we never focused on working that side enough. It’s the most Vale thing to lose to a side that’s won 1 in 16 or whatever it is and go and win at Ipswich to be honest! Although play like today we’d get hit for double figures.

We miss Garrity though, remember Exeter in the FA Cup followed by the Oxford debacle when he was last out. We leak goals without him ratting in midfield. Today was crying out for him and they would never get anywhere near the freedom second half in that midfield had he been there.

Need to somehow find the points to stay up and then a huge overhaul this summer otherwise we will suffer the same fate as Cambridge/Morecambe in their second season.

That said we have to see what’s going on behind the scenes first with Garlick out the door.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Your defensive performance at PR was the best I’ve seen in years
Yeah we've had a few of them this season and only really had 3 absolutely stinkers - Posh x2 and away at Bristol Rovers. Take those 10 goals out and we've only conceded 31 in 35.

I was saying on our forum the other day that speaking generally about football fans, there's bit of snobbery and a dismissive nature around well drilled and organised sides as though it's some kind of inferior skill but it's still a fundamental part of the game. I know people would point to it being easier to set a team up that way and easier to defend in numbers, and I'd agree to a point, but there's still a lot of coaching time that goes into it and provides a good base to any side. I don't know how many clean sheets we've kept overall this season, probably somewhere between 15-20 and for a side like us who're very short on goals, it's imperative.

I think it was Laker a few weeks back who said not to underestimate or get bored of draws and ticking over, and I agree with that. It's kept our heads above water. Not necessarily a long term way to go about it but it can keep you digging in for a season or two whilst the squad transitions!

I'm a big fan of 1-0's/2-0's rather than 3-2's and 4-3's! No fun having to score 2 or 3 a game to take something from it!

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
I was saying on our forum the other day that speaking generally about football fans, there's bit of snobbery and a dismissive nature around well drilled and organised sides as though it's some kind of inferior skill but it's still a fundamental part of the game. I know people would point to it being easier to set a team up that way and easier to defend in numbers, and I'd agree to a point, but there's still a lot of coaching time that goes into it and provides a good base to any side. I don't know how many clean sheets we've kept overall this season, probably somewhere between 15-20 and for a side like us who're very short on goals, it's imperative.
I'm a big fan of 1-0's/2-0's rather than 3-2's and 4-3's! No fun having to score 2 or 3 a game to take something from it!

10 men behind the ball is definitely legit, and not easy to implement - defending is a hard skill to pull off well and takes balls and a willingness to put your body where it hurts.

1-0s though…depends on how it’s done, I still shudder to recall us under Peter Taylor, grabbing a scrappy goal early doors (typically a header, tap-in or goalmouth scramble from a set piece) and then shutting up shop…it was terrible to watch.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Yeah we've had a few of them this season and only really had 3 absolutely stinkers - Posh x2 and away at Bristol Rovers. Take those 10 goals out and we've only conceded 31 in 35.

I think it was Laker a few weeks back who said not to underestimate or get bored of draws and ticking over, and I agree with that. It's kept our heads above water. Not necessarily a long term way to go about it but it can keep you digging in for a season or two whilst the squad transitions!

My comment about draws came from the fact we’ve won as many games as Lincoln this season yet they’re all but safe whereas we are miles from safety. It’s Lincoln’s draws which have given them league 1 status next season, not to be sniffed at.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I've waited until now to post because I wanted to post with a clear head.

What has happened to us? Cambridge, on as poor a run as you can be on, were by far the better team and deservedly won. That's just not acceptable.

Clarke is correct in the fact that some of these players have hit their absolute ceiling and are probably playing way above their actual capability.

All the goodwill and good feeling after our exploits has simply evaporated. There's all sorts of rumours flying about which don't happen when the team is playing well.

Since Plymouth in early December, we've been appalling. Yes, we've played well in one or two games, but we've still either lost or drawn. I don't recall a home game all season where I thought we played well.

Clarke and the gang are going to have to have a huge reset in the summer and probably a wholesale clear out as this current squad will take us back down.

We're fortunate that we've probably got enough points already as we are nosediving at the moment. This was an Aspin/Glover performance...as bad as I can remember since the season we finished just above the relegation zone in league 2.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Forrester is a left centre back so never get why not play him there and Sammy at RCB until Cass is back, can’t be much worse.

Mal had a good game last week so weird to drop him.

What frustrated me most though is Woz was murdering their number 11 yet we never focused on working that side enough. It’s the most Vale thing to lose to a side that’s won 1 in 16 or whatever it is and go and win at Ipswich to be honest! Although play like today we’d get hit for double figures.

We miss Garrity though, remember Exeter in the FA Cup followed by the Oxford debacle when he was last out. We leak goals without him ratting in midfield. Today was crying out for him and they would never get anywhere near the freedom second half in that midfield had he been there.

Need to somehow find the points to stay up and then a huge overhaul this summer otherwise we will suffer the same fate as Cambridge/Morecambe in their second season.

That said we have to see what’s going on behind the scenes first with Garlick out the door.
That's probably the only small criticism I have of Darrell Clarke; the talk of 'projects' for each game tinkering with the starting line up and paying too much respect to the opposition.
IMO you play your best team in the favoured formation and let the opposition worry about you.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
I hope not
So you get to play us next year and see a proper crowd. Bless ya.

Also Hirst is loving life now he’s playing for a proper side. We will be getting him in the summer permanently that’s for sure. Sorry to break the news to you..

Last edited:

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
One of the best games we've seen at Highbury all year. 2 really good sides with plenty of cracking football all over. Fleetwood will be disappointed not to have won it but a draw was probably a fair result. Great away support considering the distance and hope they arrive safely back before Easter
Cheers, I didn't quite see it as entertaining, particularly the second half, but interesting to hear your view. Felt like there were more than 375 of us there.
Game marred for me by the Stanno injury, can see him being out for the rest of the season and so that may be the last we've seen of him.
Marriott obviously a class act, but thought your wingers had pace and made our defence look slow.
But at the end of the day, another point and looking good for the mid table championship.

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Starting to think it’ll be Ipswich and us that get promoted. Fair play to Ipswich, absolutely relentless and injuries seem to have caught up with Wednesday. Barnsley are ready to pounce though!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
That's probably the only small criticism I have of Darrell Clarke; the talk of 'projects' for each game tinkering with the starting line up and paying too much respect to the opposition.
IMO you play your best team in the favoured formation and let the opposition worry about you.
To be honest it’s not been right since the Portsmouth rumours, a lot seem to know he was interviewed and Pompey couldn’t afford the compensation, if the case since the. We’ve been generally nose diving.

One thing you could always guarantee with last season and this seasons side is running through brick walls for each other. Yesterday we played like a pre season game at Kidsgrove. It’s the most worrying aspect. If we lose giving it a good go and putting in the effort then you can tolerate that, we are not world beaters by any means but to lose like that was very very worrying as it was downed tools. Only Pett and Worrall seemed arsed.

With Garlick being the latest departure a lot of negative rumours flying about since January and the fans are rightly worried.

Real let down, the only positive is there was still 6500 home fans yesterday but keeping them isn’t going to be easy if we end the season playing like that.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
10 men behind the ball is definitely legit, and not easy to implement - defending is a hard skill to pull off well and takes balls and a willingness to put your body where it hurts.

1-0s though…depends on how it’s done, I still shudder to recall us under Peter Taylor, grabbing a scrappy goal early doors (typically a header, tap-in or goalmouth scramble from a set piece) and then shutting up shop…it was terrible to watch.
Yeah, I bet, we're not great to watch either. Wasn't Matt Harrold your top scorer with 7 that season?

I can remember you coming to us one season, I'm pretty sure it was a Tuesday night and you played Neil Lennon, Gary Holt and Tommy Doherty as DM's and they didn't move from in front of your back four all game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rednwhite socks

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!