21st Feb League Match Thread

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
Not a great set of results for us today.

Amazing what happens when you take the one-man out of Barnet's one-man team. :fl:

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980

Amazing what happens when you take the one-man out of Barnet's one-man team. :fl:

The same thing that happened a few weeks ago at Blundell Park with the one man playing? :dk:

Beee

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet

Defeat had little to do with Akinde's absence and everything to do with the fact that defensively we've been all at sea since Christmas.

Our defence was at the source of all our problems today.

Beee

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Did he not dive in that game then?

If by "dive" you mean "go down following poorly timed tackle" then yes, he probably did dive.

Still not got over that then? You know, Grimsby brought nearly four times the number of fans you guys did and we had no confrontation of stewards or riot police deployed. Funny that.

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
Double over Barnet is brilliant for our confidence levels, we've got no excuse to not turn up in the playoffs this year. Apart from Bristol we've beaten everybody near the top at least once. Frustrating though that if we'd not had a few stupid results earlier in the season we'd easily be sat at the top quite comfortably.

Excellent to score three goals, Disley has always been reliable but to get goals on Pittman and Jolley is a nice bonus. When Palmer is back we're going to have some great competition for up front. While they're all decent at best, they do get a good amount out of each other. They're a good bunch considering none of them are out and out goalscorers.

Gotta give a word of praise to our following today as well. Just shy of 1k, looked like the best awayvday for years. Glad we got the result for them, especially in that fashion. The class of our away fans will always be permanent no matter how rotten we might get on the pitch.

Dan_Macclad

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield
We have to see this as a big opportunity now that Barnet are faltering, lots to play for and a shame we had no game today.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Poor performance today, just seemed a bit lethargic and never really got out of first gear. Ref also did his best to ruin the game, just the lack of consistency which annoyed me. Doesn't give pulling on the shirt at one end but does at the other, that sort of thing. Very much a 'poor performance but good result' kind of day.

Alty really impressed me though, no surprise they're one of the form teams. Amazed me that Sinnott decided to take off Perry in the second half, him and Reeves were really 'in sync' with each other, flick-ons etc. working well and Sinnott Jr. didn't do much when he came on. Very physical team but also play some good stuff, although we gave Clee far too much space at times and he nearly punished us. Alty can't feel aggrieved re: the offside goal though, the scorer was pretty far offside.

Excellent stuff from Disley too! Grimsby fans will be pleased to hear there was a chorus of 'One Craig Disley' going around the Mem when the goal went in! :) Still very much admired at BRFC, particularly after today!!

We move on to Tuesday, Braintree will want to bounce back after today so we've got to play better than we did this afternoon.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Rovers to win the league and bag me a bit of cash at the same time, put the bet on when they were about 8 points behind too :)

Good idea mate. That's what I did last year when Luton were something like 7 or 8 points behind us, having played a game more than us too. I thought if we were going to get overtaken by them, then at least I'll make some cash. Obviously, would've been happier if we won the title and didn't have to go through the tension and nail-biting the play offs invariably bring.

Bluandwite

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
Poor defeat but I suppose it was due, Eastleigh had two good chances in the first half but otherwise just frustrated us and nicked the winner in the second half, a tap in after some poor defending, pitifully soft goal to concede. I'll be staggered if they somehow drag themselves in to the play-offs on that showing.

Another fortnight off for us now.

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
If anyone scores the goal to send us up I sincerely hope it's Disley. What a way to round up a career. Can't have many years left but he's been well liked everywhere he's been as far as I know which comes as no surprise. He just oozes passion for the game and almost always comes up with the goal we need. Dare say he's a cult hero already but hopefully he's got one script left up his sleeve to solidify it.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Based on Grimsby's performances against us, I can understand why they're not top of the league.
I don't see how Stack contributed to their first goal. Elliot tried to shepherd it out but Mackreth was too strong for him.
Just like at Blundell Park we lacked the pace to win the second balls or get behind their defence whereas Grimsby had a number of clear chances due to their speed on the break.
We need to start on the front foot, beginning at Alty next week.

immariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town FC
Based on Grimsby's performances against us, I can understand why they're not top of the league.
I don't see how Stack contributed to their first goal. Elliot tried to shepherd it out but Mackreth was too strong for him.
Just like at Blundell Park we lacked the pace to win the second balls or get behind their defence whereas Grimsby had a number of clear chances due to their speed on the break.
We need to start on the front foot, beginning at Alty next week.
Do you mean 'can't understand'? We've been great against you both times. Shame about a number of our other games.

Video of our fans at the Hive today:
haha ace!

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Do you mean 'can't understand'? We've been great against you both times. Shame about a number of our other games.

Video of our fans at the Hive today:
haha ace!
It's iPhone predictive text wrecking havoc again. Yes, it's supposed to be can't!

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Same thing as I've been saying for a while, teams have been raising their games against us lately. Lincoln, Grimsby x2 and Wrexham lately have all had some of their best games of the season/of their recent form against us, and we've been unable to cope with it.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Dont see much from Aldershot fans on here?

Well I am sorry but we just were not good enough today.
The three goals we have conceded were atrocious. A stupid challenge for the Pen. stonewall pen and certain Red card. Then immediately from the kick off fuck knows what we are doing. The whole back for caught square from a long punt up field and Brett Williams slots home. Third goal is a total mess up between keeper who is so hot and cold its unreal and the new lad from Plymouth and Hatton slots in to a empty net

The score flatted us tbh. We did have chances to grab a point but it would have been a travesty for Aldershot. Thought they were a decent outfit to be honest and looked much better than a team in 18th place. Very Impressed by McCollin.

Poor post match interview by Nicky. It looks like he ran out of Ideas to be honest. He was extremely downbeat understanably but he continues to lament us for poor errors but I am sure but in that case why are you continuing to sign young 19 year old kids. We need someone who has been there and done it. A Cliff Bryne or a Chris Westwood figure. Saying that he keeps telling the players the same thing that he was after game one, after game 34 and they arent listening/carrying out his instructions means its perhaps time for a different approach.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Win or bust on Tuesday. Anything other than 3 points we are down. Simple as.

And I cant see us doing enough to win. We arent good enough at the back. Conceding 3 to a team like Aldershot at home isnt good enough.

Beee

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Win or bust on Tuesday. Anything other than 3 points we are down. Simple as.

And I cant see us doing enough to win. We arent good enough at the back. Conceding 3 to a team like Aldershot at home isnt good enough.

Don't underestimate how much of a mess Jody Brown can make at Welling.

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Awful 90 minutes, but the way that winner came in was one of those transcendental moments of football. Neither side anywhere near scoring pretty much all game, disallowed winner before added time, winner just inside added time. Braintree always play this unwatchable 0–0 stuff with us and we honestly seem to lower ourselves to it, so it's formidable to see us break that streak in such style this afternoon. The players must deserve this season to spring back into life now.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
Barnet Bias coming out but I genuinely don't remember you having too many bad decisions, but then I was right down level with Barnets penalty area, was quite away from your end. Booking Disley for celebrating is stupid though.

Just remembered one key example - the Lino giving Barnet a throw then the ref, who was behind 2 players and 20 yards away, gives it to Grimsby. Just niggly things like that for the most part, and they add up to big consequences - such as your second.

Just want to say I'm in no way denying Grimsby a great performance here. Don't want to take anything away from them.
The beeb live text said the booking was for a bad foul, bloody priceless, didn't think it would of been.
Does the person who does the updates actually pay attention to at the conference games?

slaphead

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town

Give us a bloody chance to get home, most of the lads who post here travel.

Given that, I'm just home so here goes. Alfreton were awful again for the second time in three weeks I've seen them. Sorry to say it, but they're going down. A fair summary from DSL, so I've not much to add, just to say they could well have finished with 9 men after the rib high 'tackle' from Graham that Josh Scott reacted to and rightly got dismissed. I thought we have shown a massive improvement in the last couple of weeks and with Dartford at home next week, and an 8 point gap to the relegation places, we have a real chance to secure ourselves in this division for next year.

Shotsfan1993

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Twitter
@SamOS1993

Just got home.

Thought we looked a lot more threatening going forward after a terrible start. As you said the penalty and red card was stonewall, and we punished you for it with scoring the penalty and then scoring less than a minute later. The 3rd goal should have ended the game but that isnt the Aldershot way - we love to make things difficult for ourselves!

Hatton was superb - I was dissapointed when I saw the team at 2:15 and he was starting but in hindsight it was a great decision as he was by far the best player on the pitch. We also saw the Williams of last season, scored a very good goal and was a threat in the 2nd half. Hopefully Jarvis will be ok as it didnt look to good when he was fouled for the penalty and had to go off.

The biggest change Barker seems to have made is that we seem to battle harder and when things dont go perfectly for us or when other teams get back into games we seem capable of grinding out results. 2 months ago we would have got 2 points maximum out of the Welling and Alfreton games but under Barker we have won both by battling hard and grinding out the win even when we maybe haven't played fantastically.

Also, I think that Josh Scott was the luckiest man in Alfreton today. Whatever happened previously, it is no excuse for kicking an opponent like he did. Fully deserved to be sent off and fully deserves to sit the next 3 games out. He should be grateful that his stupidity did not cost us in the end.

Lew

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Huge win. 8 points off the drop with plenty of home games remaining.

Credit to Barker & the team, you could tell they really wanted it today. Hatton has received a lot of rightful criticism this season but he was superb, confident penalty and great determination to snatch the ball from the keeper and slot home. Williams came on and scored after 42 seconds, haven't seen our strikers attack the opposition's defence in a while and it paid off with a great finish. Both the goals we conceded could have easily been prevented, the first was a combination of a poor clearance and a lack of communication. The second seemed like Barks took too many touches and was caught in possession. As for Josh Scott.. only just returned from injury and he will now sit out for three more games.. had that cost us three points, I'd hope he would be fined, lucky it didn't and we dug in for the last 13 minutes.

As for Alfreton, I think they will go down. Big difference between them and Welling who we played last weekend. Utterly woeful defence, probably the worst in the league. Dartford go up there on Tuesday, lose that and Dartford are just one point behind Alfreton. We've got Dartford next weekend so I'm not sure what result would be best.

I still would want a new manager rather than Barker. If we win next weekend, I think the board will give it to him.

BeesKnees

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet FC

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
How'd Gash do? Because as good as he can be he's not got the legs to play up front as a lone striker?

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
He did pretty well but was too isolated and as you said he doesn't have the pace to get behind a defence.

springerbfc

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Based on our current style of play, Gash was a complete waste of time. He lacks pace, looks quite clumsy and was well marshalled by the Grimsby back line who completely dominated him in the air.
That said, we spent the entire game pumping balls up towards him so it's difficult to know whether he had more to offer in terms of link up play when the ball is played in to him.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Just home after a great weekend away. One if the most enjoyable away games for a long time. It's games like that which make all the travelling and expense worthwhile. A superb turnout by our fans (almost double what I though there'd be).

I thought we were superb in the first half and Jack Mackreth had his best 45 minutes in a Mariners shirt and did brilliantly for our first goal. Barnet offered very little in the first half but it was a different story in the 2nd half as they upped their game considerably and their equaliser had been coming for a few minutes before they scored. I actually though McKeown had saved it as he managed to get his hands to it but the shot was just too powerful.

As the game entered the last 10 minutes or so it was Barnet who looked the more likely to grab a winner and I thought our chance had gone when Nathan Arnold sliced his shot wide when he should have scored. The free-kick which led to our 2nd was met with audible groans around me as we wanted the ball played into the box but what looked like it was some sort of routine off the training ground worked out with Disley putiing us in front to spark wild celebrations behind the goal and then Pittman but the gloss on it with the 3rd.

All in all a very enjoyable game/weekend and I've nothing but praise for Barnet as a club and their stewards. The only slight gripe was that they could do with a few more people serving in the away bar although I'm pretty sure they're not always used to getting a near 1000 away following.

Last edited:

TheGas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Just home after a great weekend away. One if the most enjoyable away games for a long time. It's games like that which make all the travelling and expense worthwhile. A superb turnout by our fans (almost double what I though there'd be).

I thought we were superb in the first half and Jack Mackreth had his best 45 minutes in a Mariners shirt and did brilliantly for our first goal. Barnet offered very little in the first half but it was a different story in the 2nd half as they upped their game considerably and their equaliser had been coming for a few minutes before they scored. I actually though McKeown had saved it as he managed to get his hands to it but the shot was just too powerful.

As the game entered it last 10 minutes or so it was Barnet who looked the more likely to grab a winner and I thought our chance had gone when Nathan Arnold sliced his shot wide when he should have scored. The free-kick which led to our winner was met with audible groans around me as we wanted the ball played into the box but what looked like it was some sort of routine off the training ground worked out with Disley putiing us in front to spark wild celebrations behind the goal and then Pittman but the gloss on it with the 3rd.

All in all a very enjoyable game/weekend and I've nothing but praise for Barnet as a club and their stewards. The only slight gripe was that they could do with a few more people serving in the away bar although I'm pretty sure they're not always used to getting a near 1000 away following.

Nothing better then an away win with a brilliant following in a stand that's easy to make noise. That's why I wonder how some people LOVE following their clubs even though they take 50 fans everywhere. Credit to them though

ComeOnIrene

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It was pretty tense around The Mem towards the end of the game yesterday because we weren't playing all that well despite being in front, and the referee seemed to do whatever he could to present Alty with a chance to get the ball in our box. He ignored every foul their defence committed on Blissett, Taylor and Harrison but penalised everything imaginable in their favour, even when there was nothing to give a foul for! The refs never fail to amaze me in this division, they really are something else.

Anyway, we were nervous and desperately hoping we'd cling on to the lead and then all of a sudden news filtered through that Disley had scored. The full time whistle was just about to blow to seal 3 points for us and a former Gas great had done us a massive favour by scoring a last gasp winner against the league leaders. Needless to say we went mental and sung the ginger one's name loudly and proudly!

We couldn't have written a better script if we tried!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bantamshell

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!