Who should be the next England manager?

• Total voters

smat

Reaction score
Supports
arsenal
Twitter
@mrsmat
I'm old enough to recall people complaining about how dull Roy Hodgson's football is. Even when it wasn't. It was about a month ago. How Allardyce is suddenly everyone's favoured option is completely beyond me. Nothing makes sense post-Brexit.

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Premier League Champions 15/16
I don't mind him getting it. Mind you I'm at the point where I think we should take a radical approach, the experiment of a public lottery to determine who gets the role wouldn't be all that bad an option anymore. It'd generate interest at least.

Last edited:

Hamez

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Twitter
@jarmstrong_10
I'm old enough to recall people complaining about how dull Roy Hodgson's football is. Even when it wasn't. It was about a month ago. How Allardyce is suddenly everyone's favoured option is completely beyond me. Nothing makes sense post-Brexit.

To be fair, I saw his Sunderland side on the box a couple of times last season, and they played half decent football. Soaked up pressure & hit teams on the break. Think that'd probably suit England at this minute.

TomPNE94

Big Mak Fan
Reaction score
Supports
Simon Makienok
Twitter
@TomMonks94
Only leave voters want Allardyce

#AgainstModernBritain

Nilsson

Reaction score
Supports
Man Utd
We scored 1 goal from open play against Russia, Wales, Slovakia and Iceland, people had every right to complain about how dull the football was under Hodgson.

smat

Reaction score
Supports
arsenal
Twitter
@mrsmat
We scored 1 goal from open play against Russia, Wales, Slovakia and Iceland, people had every right to complain about how dull the football was under Hodgson.
If I was to ask you for 100 ways to fix this, where would 'appoint Sam Allardyce' feature?

mistermagic

Reaction score
Supports
Stoke City (I don't make the rules, Epic73 does)
Twitter
@FinallyFifou
It's not that it's a good decision, it's that it's the only decision/alternative that the FA can make/have at its disposal. Some names have been thrown in the mass media lately but it looks like made-up tabloid thrills. Big Sam makes sense when you see that the European champions are a largely unadventurous side with a couple of decent players and one world class player. Which is basically the England side only, y'know, without CR7 but whom Portugal didn't need to beat France.

Good appointment.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Hopefully someone like Sam Allardyce will get the job and sort out all these weak, skinny, pissy pants, long sleeve wearing fancy Dan England players!!

MadMongoose

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Twitter
@ItsFootballm8
Big sam all the way - he cant do any worse than the previous managers. Sam will gladly bollock players too which from memory i cant remember another manager like that.

Liam_SWFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
For me I'm not totally against Sam Allardyce being appointed, but I don't see how this is a step forward from Roy. I can already see what kind of line up England would have and it seems to involve Andy Carroll and Jermaine Defoe. It also reeks of purely giving it him because he's the most experienced English man out there, why does the man in charge have to be English? This is going to hamper us massively as the pool of English managers to choose from is very limited.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
It also reeks of purely giving it him because he's the most experienced English man out there, why does the man in charge have to be English? This is going to hamper us massively as the pool of English managers to choose from is very limited.

Depends on your stance I guess, but for me international football should be your country's best versus another country's best and that includes management staff, not just players.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
Depends on your stance I guess, but for me international football should be your country's best versus another country's best and that includes management staff, not just players.

It's not that simple these days though, is it? The line of what nationality a player is has become a bit blurred in football. And where would you draw that particular line? Costa and Pepe are just two examples of players who decided to play for other countries than their birth, Brazilians who play for Spain and Portugal respectively. Would sometimes tenuous family connections to another country be reason enough for a player or manager to play or manage that particular country for you? Or would they need to have been born/raised from a young age there?

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Premier League Champions 15/16
Costa and Pepe don't represent the country of their birth but they are nationals of their country aren't they? Capello and Sven are not British nationals nor have even tenuous links. So regardless of the lines being blurred, neither of the two we appointed in the past have anything to do with England at any level.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
For me I'm not totally against Sam Allardyce being appointed, but I don't see how this is a step forward from Roy. I can already see what kind of line up England would have and it seems to involve Andy Carroll and Jermaine Defoe. It also reeks of purely giving it him because he's the most experienced English man out there, why does the man in charge have to be English? This is going to hamper us massively as the pool of English managers to choose from is very limited.
Both Carroll & Defoe are the best of their type England has to offer, why would it be so wrong for either of them to be involved?

The way England set up you could've done with a poacher like Defoe and a target man like Carroll. You went with counter attacking forwards against teams that sat back, LOL. Sam wouldn't make that mistake. People keep demeaning Sams tactics (they must still believe the myth of 'playing the right way' whatever that is) yet fail to understand that the squad that went to France would actually massively suit his tactics. Your new age pool consists of fast technical players that are ideal for the quick transitions that Sam will be looking for.

Sam would be your most successful manager since Tez.

mnb089mnb

Ian
Reaction score
Supports
Coral.co.uk & Ladbrokes.com
Twitter
@taylorswift13

Does it include physio, kit manufacturer and the company that makes your official merchandise?

I mean, Panini is an Italian company. Should they really be making the stickers?

mnb089mnb

Ian
Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@taylorswift13
It's not that simple these days though, is it? The line of what nationality a player is has become a bit blurred in football.

It's become a bit blurred in society. Many people have a valid claim to more than one nationality.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
It's become a bit blurred in society. Many people have a valid claim to more than one nationality.

I never suggested otherwise. Personally, I don't buy into this mentality that everything about an England sports team (of whatever sport) should be English and English only. And the same goes for any other national team.

mnb089mnb

Ian
Reaction score
Supports
Twitter
@taylorswift13
I never suggested otherwise. Personally, I don't buy into this mentality that everything about an England sports team (of whatever sport) should be English and English only. And the same goes for any other national team.

I never said you suggested otherwise. Not everything on here is an argument. (or at least I don't think it is).

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
1182613534533.gif

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Completely agree that it is a bit trickier knowing where to draw the line in terms of backroom staff and so on. Ultimately I just don't think it's comparable to club football where players and managers switch sides regularly. Your country is your country - you have that limited pool of players to pick from, and I think the manager and coaching team should be similar really.

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
A single unitary authority for urban Dorset
Being reported down here (and in the Daily Mail & Daily Star for what it's worth!) that the FA have asked Bournemouth for permission to speak with Eddie Howe about "some kind of position, possibly part time, within the England setup". AFCB refusing to comment, and Howe is currently over in the USA with the squad on pre season tour.
:dk:

If true, it'd seem like a distraction we could do without.

FrazerLloyd

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle
Twitter
@FrazerLloyd
I'd give the job to Slaven Bilic. He'd probably cost a fair bit, but it's not like the FA are afraid of splashing the cash is it?

He's had relative success on the international stage, he's done a good job in the Premier League since he's been here and in managerial terms he isn't very old either. Sure, he's not English but I can live with that. Heck, I wouldn't care if Maradona was in charge if he won us the World Cup. It's the least he could do...

I'm not overly against Big Sam, but personally feel Bilic would be a better option.

As far as Howe is concerned, leave him at Bournemouth. His time will come. What he has done at Bournemouth is brilliant but Bournemouth to England is a massive leap. I'd leave him there, wait for a bigger club to poach him (which they will do) and once he has success there, snap him up.

Dirk

Wir kommen wieder!
Reaction score
Supports
Hamburger SV
I'd give the job to Slaven Bilic. He'd probably cost a fair bit, but it's not like the FA are afraid of splashing the cash is it?

Big Sam Allardyce is really considered for the job? Blimey. That would mean no end of 50 year curse :D. Sorry, but this guy isn't one for bringing England back on track (only my personal opinion). He's one for those teams who want to stay in the league (like Sunderland last season) but no one with a vision to form a competitive National team (again, only imo)

Sure, he's not English but I can live with that. Heck,.

to Slaven Bilic: I like him since his playing days in the Bundeslga at Karlsruhe back in th 90's and he's done a great job at West Ham so far and I would think that the Hammers are very reluctant to let him coach the Three Lions, or?

Sure, he's not English but I can live with that.

That's something where you are ahead of us Germans. Up until now a Coach for the German National-team has to be "Deutsch" (not that it is in the job description but it seems we are very reluctant to let a foreigner coach our "sanctum" ;). )

Is Jürgen Klinsmann still in the queue? He is a foreigner, too (for the english people) but at least he has some PL experience and all I can say about his short stint as German National team coach (although he didn't coach because he hadn't the necessary "Trainerschein" at that time, that was already the job of Joachim Löw ) he has turned the German Football with his visions. I can't say anything negative about his time as German National coach.

I wouldn't care if Maradona was in charge if he won us the World Cup. It's the least he could do..
Maradona and "the Hand of God" :D That would be an irony. Is he actually fit to coach a team?

FrazerLloyd

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle
Twitter
@FrazerLloyd
Big Sam Allardyce is really considered for the job? Blimey. That would mean no end of 50 year curse :D. Sorry, but this guy isn't one for bringing England back on track (only my personal opinion). He's one for those teams who want to stay in the league (like Sunderland last season) but no one with a vision to form a competitive National team (again, only imo)

Big Sam is currently the favourite to get the job and has been speaking with the FA about it. The FA are taking their time and it is believed that they are sounding out other options, but Big Sam appears to be their favourite.

I think he's done relatively well in his career and if I'm not mistaken, he's never been relegated from the Premier League. However, it is like you say, I believe he's good at surviving the drop and whether he can put his hand to challenging for major honours, I'm not sure.

With that being said, players and coaches speak very highly of him.

to Slaven Bilic: I like him since his playing days in the Bundeslga at Karlsruhe back in th 90's and he's done a great job at West Ham so far and I would think that the Hammers are very reluctant to let him coach the Three Lions, or?

I don't think West Ham would like to see him go at all, and I'm not sure whether he'd want the job either.

Nonetheless, the England job is the best paid in International football and the FA will have no problem paying the compensation for their target.

Is Jürgen Klinsmann still in the queue? He is a foreigner, too (for the english people) but at least he has some PL experience and all I can say about his short stint as German National team coach (although he didn't coach because he hadn't the necessary "Trainerschein" at that time, that was already the job of Joachim Löw ) he has turned the German Football with his visions. I can't say anything negative about his time as German National coach.

I believe Klinsmann is still in the queue.

He was originally the man I wanted for the job. However, during EURO 2016 and just after our exit I was over in the US. They want us to take him off them!

On the face of things it looks like he has done a good job in America but when you look into it, he plays a boring and largely ineffectual style of football. I know the USA aren't the biggest footballing nation but neither are the opposition and if he is struggling over there, then I don't hold much hope for him in England.

Maradona and "the Hand of God" :D That would be an irony. Is he actually fit to coach a team?

Obviously, I'm not a massive fan of Maradona but as you'll know, football fans are fickle. It's been far too long since England last challenged for a trophy, let alone won one, that I'm almost done with caring as to who the manager is.

For the record, I doubt he'd make a good coach and his appointment certainly wouldn't go down well!

Dirk

Wir kommen wieder!
Reaction score
Supports
Hamburger SV
I believe Klinsmann is still in the queue.

He was originally the man I wanted for the job. However, during EURO 2016 and just after our exit I was over in the US. They want us to take him off them!

On the face of things it looks like he has done a good job in America but when you look into it, he plays a boring and largely ineffectual style of football. I know the USA aren't the biggest footballing nation but neither are the opposition and if he is struggling over there, then I don't hold much hope for him in England.

Here in Germany Klinsmann (and especially his Co-Coach Joachim Löw) are jointly responsible for the resurgence of the German National team. After their nadir at the Euro 2000 (with a nearly 40 year old Lother Matthäus and the worst ever Bundestrainer (National Coach) Erich Ribbeck there were six hard years (ok, we reached the World Cup Final 2002 nonetheless but more because the other teams we played were even worse or we had the luck) and with Klinsmann's debut in 2004 we could already see the "new german style" technicallly, skilled young players not the "Panzer" or "Stuka" (as we were often called in the british tabloids) anymore. And this technical style is still valid now. And Klinsmann's vision with the youth academies etc has brought many young talents. So I consider his 2 year stint as a great success and even as Manager of the US Team he has brought them success. You can't expect that the US Team wins suddenly the World Cup but in 2014 they were in the German Group and Germany was lucky to win 1-0. later in the 1/8 Final they lost in a great game against Belgium but their style was far from boring.
I haven't seen the 2016 Copa America due to the Euro but the US Boys were in the Semi-Final. I consider this as a success, too.
If the Americans think that they need another coach so be it, other countries are happy to get a coach like Klinsmann. For the Americans it seems that only winning a Cup is a success. But they forget that Football isn't "their game" (they don't even call it Football :D. No disrespect but I think they won't win a World Cup during my lifetime (I am 53 now ;).
Germany on the other side won't win the World Cup in Ice-hockey or Baseball or Basketball either :D

In Germany we have a saying "Schuster, bleib bei deinen Leisten" (Cobbler stick to your last) for this.

To cut a long story short: If Klinsmann would be the next England manager then I have (a bit ) hope for the Three Lions ;).
But: Do the English fans accept a German as their National Coach? :lol:

edit: I voted for "Other" in the Poll.

Last edited:

Dirk

Wir kommen wieder!
Reaction score
Supports
Hamburger SV
I think Klinsmann would be widely accepted as English coach despite being German. He's well respected in the game and has played in England before.

Here's an article that sums up his weaknesses in America quite well.

Jürgen Klinsmann's US reign so far: tactically chaotic and often embarrassing

A lot to read for me (in english). OK, we have voices here in Germany, too, that Klinsmann (like Franz Beckenbauer at the World Cup 86 and 90) was functioning only as the Shining Light and that the tactics was mainly the task of the co-trainer (especially Löw). This is a bit harsh in my opinion.
And iwhen his weaknesses brought the US Boys nonetheless to the 1/8 final of the World Cup and the semi-final of the 2016 Copa America (not to mention a win in Germany against the actual World Cup Holders) then the US Boys are more skilled than I thought and with a new coach they will win the next World Cup /i :D

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
A single unitary authority for urban Dorset
It would be a tough pill to swallow at first I think, but as far as Germans go he's pretty well known and 'Anglophied' due to his time and exposure here, so it wouldn't be a great stretch to accept him as long as there were signs of progress and a plan we could recognise and get behind. The issue would come when our press explode at him at the first opportunity, poor performance or silly result.

I also don't think he'd get the same wide remit and level of control with our English FA and system as he got with Germany and the USA to make reforms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yellowman

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!