Catuvellauni v Carvetii (Cambridge v Carlisle - Jabundesliga)

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
No you weren't lucky at all, you deserved the win 'cos you lot were the better side. In fact, and if i'm being honest, you could've easily gone in 3-1 up at ht.
I'm just going off our commentator who pointed out a few refereeing decisions that benefited us, including no card shown when you were awarded a penalty and Tom Parkes possibly being due a second yellow, and then also in the second half he couldn't figure how Cambridge didn't score, especially one that hit the bar then the keeper's back and was somehow gathered by the keeper.

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
Great win, always a tough place to go. Sounded better in the first half but defended solidly in the second. Nice to get off the mark with a home game to follow.

Agree about Bonham, worries me every time the ball comes near him.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Btw, I wasn't aware you lot are turning into Wycombe Mkii. The second half was virtually unwatchable as your players took every available opportunity to waste time. But then again, whilst it's a fact that such antics put to bed any chances of an open flowing game, it's also something that's slowly becoming part and parcel of the British game nowadays, something that's been going on for ages in Spanish and Italian footy, esp by the away side. So don't get me wrong, I won't lie and say that we could have got a draw or a win if you lot didn't resort to such antics. We deserved nothing and got nothing.

Carlisle looked decent enough today, and most definitely didn't look like a side who'll struggle this year like some are saying. If they can add perhaps a couple of new decent signings, then I won't be surprised at all if they're around the play offs again this year. My only concern is that I'm not sure if we made it easier for them or not, but I suspect we did. But tbf, we weren't that poor in the first half and they still looked good, so make of that what you will.

Now, I'm going to go on a little rant so you can all stop reading. I apologise in advance but I have to get this off my chest, and I'm told this helps in making one feel better :lol:

I don't really care what some of my fellow U's think, but Derry has got to go now. No such shit like give him 5 or 10 games more and then we'll see where we are. The board can appoint some part time manager of some Scottish 3rd div side for all I care. He's stealing a wage and I can't take it anymore. His tactics today were so poor I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. Tactic one - lump it forward to Jabo and Uche, both man marked by one or more Carlisle players, while otoh, you've got 8 other players completely free and in space but no, you've got to lump it forward to these two. Tactic two - give the ball to Mingioa out wide to send in a cross even though not a single one of his crosses reached the intended target/s. But don't worry, just give him the ball anyway.

Such a limited manager, and he had the temerity to ask his agent to contact Hearts to inquire about the vacant managerial position :ffs:

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I'm just going off our commentator who pointed out a few refereeing decisions that benefited us, including no card shown when you were awarded a penalty and Tom Parkes possibly being due a second yellow, and then also in the second half he couldn't figure how Cambridge didn't score, especially one that hit the bar then the keeper's back and was somehow gathered by the keeper.

I'm not one for excuses Shoddy. I never say we were unlucky when we hit the bar or the post, it's just part of the game for me. Granted the ref didn;t have a great match, and Berry was a tad unlucky, but we're only talking about one incidence of so called 'bad luck'.

AmberRich

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
First half we were a shambles defensively, Legge has lost any pace he once had. Carlisle started and ended the half very well.

Second half I thought we were the better side. Not sure if Carlisle just sat back but we were all over them for most of the half, though Carlisle always seemed to do just enough to stop our attacks. We seemed to be caught offside a ridiculous amount, it will be interesting to see if the linesman was right when the highlights are shown. Uche looked great and was muscling everyone off the ball as usual, Jabo looked decent when he wasn't offside.

I would blame the ref for not giving a few cards out to a couple Carlisle players but according to someone standing next to me Uche got away with stamping on a Carlisle player. So I guess it worked both ways.

We need to make some changes to the defence and midfield in the next game. See how we play without Legge and replace one of the defensive midfielders with Osadebe or move Berry back into the middle.

Carlisle unfortunately weren't as bad I was hoping and have beaten us for the first time since 1997. Well done. You brought down a good amount as well.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
First half we were a shambles defensively, Legge has lost any pace he once had. Carlisle started and ended the half very well.

Second half I thought we were the better side. Not sure if Carlisle just sat back but we were all over them for most of the half, though Carlisle always seemed to do just enough to stop our attacks. We seemed to be caught offside a ridiculous amount, it will be interesting to see if the linesman was right when the highlights are shown. Uche looked great and was muscling everyone off the ball as usual, Jabo looked decent when he wasn't offside.

I would blame the ref for not giving a few cards out to a couple Carlisle players but according to someone standing next to me Uche got away with stamping on a Carlisle player. So I guess it worked both ways.

We need to make some changes to the defence and midfield in the next game. See how we play without Legge and replace one of the defensive midfielders with Osadebe or move Berry back into the middle.

Carlisle unfortunately weren't as bad I was hoping and have beaten us for the first time since 1997. Well done. You brought down a good amount as well.

Sounded to me like we sat back hugely in the second half. The commentators described it after the final whistle as surviving a Cambridge bombardment (as I type this, Dean Walling just said it again 'today there was an aerial bombardment the likes of which I've never seen'). It's something I've seen from us before, we take the lead and then play as if it'll take all the luck (and perhaps in this case, gamesmanship) in the world for us to cling on to it.

No stamp was mentioned, and I'd think if there had been the suggestion of one, the commentators would have at least noticed some sort of commotion. They felt the referee started well and then sort of lost it after 10 minutes and made some very strange decisions.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Such a disappointing performance. Thought we looked good at top and our keeper had an excellent game but between that we were dreadful. Carlisle were deserved winners and could have been 2 up within 10 minutes (worryingly this is the second week in a row we've conceded in the first 10 minutes).

As stated, Carlisle win the Wycombe award for game ms management and feigning injury whenever the opposition attacks.

And Carlisle's fans on here can fuck right off with their pessimism, bunch of funny c***.

On we go to next week. Don't judge a manager after two league games.

AmberRich

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Sounded to me like we sat back hugely in the second half. The commentators described it after the final whistle as surviving a Cambridge bombardment (as I type this, Dean Walling just said it again 'today there was an aerial bombardment the likes of which I've never seen'). It's something I've seen from us before, we take the lead and then play as if it'll take all the luck (and perhaps in this case, gamesmanship) in the world for us to cling on to it.

No stamp was mentioned, and I'd think if there had been the suggestion of one, the commentators would have at least noticed some sort of commotion. They felt the referee started well and then sort of lost it after 10 minutes and made some very strange decisions.
I didn't see a stamp but did see them coming together then a bit of a mess when the Carlisle player went down. It was in front of the commentary positions so like you said if he did stamp on someone it would have been mentioned.
Next time I see the guy I'll tell him to get some glasses.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I didn't hear about a stamp on our commentary, but they did mention Jabo swinging an elbow in Grainger's face.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Good. Grainger is a c*** and Jabo is more than aware of that playing with the fraud for two years.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
I'm very delighted with the win today, bit concerned though at our keeper making the same mistake as he did on Tuesday night where he catches the ball then drops it, so I hope he's not going to be a butter fingers keeper!

I think that as long as our defence stays injury free then we can have a decent season. Maybe last Saturday's poor performance was just a one off first match nerves and we will do much better from now on.

As for Cambridge, you need to get rid of Derry if you ever want to succeed in this league, so I suggest you put pressure on him and tell him to have a fucking shave, the scruffy bastard..

Last edited:

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
Btw, I wasn't aware you lot are turning into Wycombe Mkii. The second half was virtually unwatchable as your players took every available opportunity to waste time. But then again, whilst it's a fact that such antics put to bed any chances of an open flowing game, it's also something that's slowly becoming part and parcel of the British game nowadays, something that's been going on for ages in Spanish and Italian footy, esp by the away side. So don't get me wrong, I won't lie and say that we could have got a draw or a win if you lot didn't resort to such antics. We deserved nothing and got nothing.

Carlisle looked decent enough today, and most definitely didn't look like a side who'll struggle this year like some are saying. If they can add perhaps a couple of new decent signings, then I won't be surprised at all if they're around the play offs again this year. My only concern is that I'm not sure if we made it easier for them or not, but I suspect we did. But tbf, we weren't that poor in the first half and they still looked good, so make of that what you will.

Now, I'm going to go on a little rant so you can all stop reading. I apologise in advance but I have to get this off my chest, and I'm told this helps in making one feel better :lol:

I don't really care what some of my fellow U's think, but Derry has got to go now. No such shit like give him 5 or 10 games more and then we'll see where we are. The board can appoint some part time manager of some Scottish 3rd div side for all I care. He's stealing a wage and I can't take it anymore. His tactics today were so poor I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. Tactic one - lump it forward to Jabo and Uche, both man marked by one or more Carlisle players, while otoh, you've got 8 other players completely free and in space but no, you've got to lump it forward to these two. Tactic two - give the ball to Mingioa out wide to send in a cross even though not a single one of his crosses reached the intended target/s. But don't worry, just give him the ball anyway.

Such a limited manager, and he had the temerity to ask his agent to contact Hearts to inquire about the vacant managerial position :ffs:
Carver has swung the argument. Not much I can disagree with on here. I'll keep my head down for a few weeks, give my beard a trim and give our messageboard a miss.

Of course, he's not going anywhere in the near future.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
What's he done to offend Cambridge so much?
Grainger and Adams were enjoying winding up the biters in the Habbin - not in the Kevin Ellison league but a nice warm up for when we have the pleasure of his company in the next home match.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Sounds like Parkes and Ellis play really well together at the back. So please no more playing Liddle as a centre back!

I'm quietly confident we can do well this season as long as there are no injuries to our defence and do not forget we still have Kennedy and Etuhu almost back from injury.

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
The clown has to go, that's all I want to say about yesterday....

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Grainger and Adams were enjoying winding up the biters in the Habbin - not in the Kevin Ellison league but a nice warm up for when we have the pleasure of his company in the next home match.

I'm quite happy to hear our players engage in a little of that. Usually being in the home crowd behind the goal at Brunton Park I know which players enjoy winding up the biters at our end, and they usually then end up on the winning side too. Danny Hylton is the worst (I know, who would have thought it from usually such a pleasant and respectable character) but Sanchez Watt was another that stands out.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Sounds like Parkes and Ellis play really well together at the back. So please no more playing Liddle as a centre back!

I'm quietly confident we can do well this season as long as there are no injuries to our defence and do not forget we still have Kennedy and Etuhu almost back from injury.

Hopefully, and it was good to hear Liddle playing in the role we supposedly signed him to fill. We desperately need cover at centre back that isn't Gary Liddle though.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

If Ellis and Parkes are doing well then there's no reason to change it. We haven't had a decent CB pairing for years, hopefully these 2 can buck that trend.

In fairness to Liddle he was decent against Swindon, probably the best of a really bad bunch.

It's our lack of pace at full back that is still a concern and the fact that if Grainger gets injured or suspended we haven't got anyone to deputise. These issues need sorted as a matter of urgency.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Hopefully, and it was good to hear Liddle playing in the role we supposedly signed him to fill. We desperately need cover at centre back that isn't Gary Liddle though.

Left back is where we desperately need cover.

Assuming Ellis and Parkes will be first choice CBs, Liddle can play there and Tom Miller can cover as a last resort. We literally have no one to cover left back

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Left back is where we desperately need cover.

Assuming Ellis and Parkes will be first choice CBs, Liddle can play there and Tom Miller can cover as a last resort. We literally have no one to cover left back

I think those two statements though are just things Keith Curle tells himself when he's in bed at night. I think if we have to play either of those players as centre backs then we're screwed. Whereas if Grainger gets injured (or when, not if, he gets suspended) we could go with a back three and I don't think we're losing much by doing that as Grainger plays like a wing-back even when he's supposed to be a conventional left-back.

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
I'd feel a lot more optimistic if we signed another defender, preferably somebody who can play both left back and centre back.

I'd be surprised if Jones doesn't start next week, so Liddle would probably revert to right back, even though Tom Miller has contributed a goal and assist in the last two games.

Feeling much more confident after 2 away wins.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers

Do you like Parkesy now?

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Experimental 361 tells a different story from the one our commentators were telling.

2017-08-12-cambridge-carlisle.png

The BBCRC commentary team gave the impression that we were weathering a torrent of Cambridge chances in the second half but this shows only three shots taken, none of which were especially clear cut. Granted we only had two shots ourselves and nothing after 60 minutes and the ball probably spent most of the second half in our half but I can see the source of Cambridge anger now, it's a pretty poor showing for a home team that. If you take out the penalty, which skews the graph as it's worth almost a whole goal on its own then Cambridge didn't even manage to create half a goal's worth of chances, against a team not known for their defensive solidity fighting a rearguard action in the second half and when Cambridge have some pretty ruthless goalscorers at their disposal.

We looked like a classic away team on this, didn't create much but notably created one great opportunity and put it away... in addition to the early goal. Then sat back.

#DerryOut

Last edited:

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Experimental 361 tells a different story from the one our commentators were telling.

2017-08-12-cambridge-carlisle.png

The BBCRC commentary team gave the impression that we were weathering a torrent of Cambridge chances in the second half but this shows only three shots taken, none of which were especially clear cut. Granted we only had two shots ourselves and nothing after 60 minutes and the ball probably spent most of the second half in our half but I can see the source of Cambridge anger now, it's a pretty poor showing for a home team that. If you take out the penalty, which skews the graph as it's worth almost a whole goal on its own then Cambridge didn't even manage to create half a goal's worth of chances, against a team not known for their defensive solidity fighting a rearguard action in the second half and when Cambridge have some pretty ruthless goalscorers at their disposal.

We looked like a classic away team on this, didn't create much but notably created one great opportunity and put it away... in addition to the early goal. Then sat back.

#DerryOut
What do we think of "expected goals"? Does it take into account that you'd expect Sergio Aguero to score but not the average League 2 striker?

I'm a cynical old git so I'm going to take some convincing. ;-)

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
:lol: Good point Laker! I'm not a statto but Shoddy looks to me like he well could be one, so I look forward to his reply.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
What do we think of "expected goals"? Does it take into account that you'd expect Sergio Aguero to score but not the average League 2 striker?

I'm a cynical old git so I'm going to take some convincing. ;-)
Expected goals is the number of goals you'd expect the average striker at this level to score from the chances created. Based on what proportion of similar chances (classified based on the BBC website vidiprinter) have resulted in a goal at this level. It's not a measure of how good your strikers are, it's a measure of how good the team is at creating chances. If both team's shot takers finished like the average League Two shot taker then you'd expect Cambridge to score one and Carlisle to score one or two.

Last edited:

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I think those two statements though are just things Keith Curle tells himself when he's in bed at night. I think if we have to play either of those players as centre backs then we're screwed. Whereas if Grainger gets injured (or when, not if, he gets suspended) we could go with a back three and I don't think we're losing much by doing that as Grainger plays like a wing-back even when he's supposed to be a conventional left-back.

That might work.... if Grainger wasn't our only left wing back as well.

Seriously, who would play as the left wing back if we played a back 3?

Left back is definitely the position we need to strengthen as a priority

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
HA look at this soft comment from Derry's post match interview:

"We've played a play off finalist and a play off semi finalist and lost by one goal."

Now here's Keith Curle's comment:

"We had to stand up and be men today. We needed to be there for the confrontation."

So I can see why Cambridge fans want rid of that loser Derry so much. :lol:

I'd hate it if we had a manager like that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!