FA Cup 2023/24

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
No doubt it’ll be heavily policed and Wrexham supporters not being allowed in any of the pubs in and around the stadium/town centre also. Are they still allowed to ‘bubble’ fans that are coming in by train these days?
Their games against Chester were bubble games for years until they ended up in different divisions. Although I understand the rivalry between Wrexham and Shrewsbury isn’t so strong, there’ll be all the dickheads out so wouldn’t surprise me if the police do something ludicrous like make it a bubble game.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
yeah we do this thing where we get into a decent position, dont have a pop but try and play it wide and if that doesnt work go backwards, I get the philosophy we've tried to install but we need to master than final bit of it better. Its frustrating to watch and hard work, just have a pop! Hence we generally have 60% possession plus quite often but rarely score!
Same here. I think we have mirrored each other in this league so far, from comments ive been seeing from you guys anyway.

We have tried both ways of playing and neither seem to work, so I guess it means the players are just not good enough.

Jevani Brown seems lazy with flashes of brilliance but seemingly just a luxury player. Hopefully his ex manager Taylor will get something out of him as we clearly havent been playing him correctly.

Collins has gone right downhill this year and Marquis seems better at arguing with our fans than he does finishing off easy chances.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
To be fair, we said that or something similar every round last season and we had some of the best away days of recent times in those matches. Southampton is up there in the top three for me of all time. We said shit draw when it happened too. Coventry is definitely winnable for you, especially if they don't treat you with the respect you deserve and that Buckingham showed us in your team selection at the weekend I might add. Am I right in thinking Murphy is only on the fringes of your lineup? Send him our way if he needs games time please! Looks like a cracking player.

Josh Murphy will be playing/starting regularly, certainly for a while, as other senior wingers Marcus Browne*/ Kyle Edwards are both out until at least January and we now only have 3 left (2 20 year olds, with one on his first loan from Everton, and Murphy). Murphy was excellent and we are hoping he kicks on from here. He has just had a kid so hopefully it pushes him on.

That was pretty much our strongest team so no disrespect in the selection. It had an England U20 International keeper, James Beadle, who is going to have a good career, Welsh International Mark Harris and regular Northern Ireland International (and our PotY last season) Ciaron Brown. On top of Kyle Edwards/Marcus Browne, we have Sam Long and Greg Leigh out injured as likely 1st team regulars. The January transfer window will be vital for us and our prospects for the remainder of the season.

*He came on as a sub for his first game back from long term injury but now has a potential problem with his other leg so then came off after 12 minutes. Considering his injury problems it was really sad to see as you could see he was devastated.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Same here. I think we have mirrored each other in this league so far, from comments ive been seeing from you guys anyway.

We have tried both ways of playing and neither seem to work, so I guess it means the players are just not good enough.

Jevani Brown seems lazy with flashes of brilliance but seemingly just a luxury player. Hopefully his ex manager Taylor will get something out of him as we clearly havent been playing him correctly.

Collins has gone right downhill this year and Marquis seems better at arguing with our fans than he does finishing off easy chances.
We have some good players but striker wise we've messed up again, Flickers pretty much said we focused on attacking midfielders because the striker market was over inflated price wise due to certain clubs pushing pricing up with their spending.

This meant we ditched 2 up front to play with the attacking midfielder behind one striker but Loft clearly isn't a target man on his own, Uche isn't as he is better running with his strength and either kills a ball dead or bounces 10 yards from him with little in between and Wilson is injured (again) and isn't really an out and out striker anyway... Josh Thomas is small and full of pace but we dont play the ball over the top to utilise that anyway, despite it working well against Charlton in the only game we've scored 3 in.

Its frustrating and I dont think we are playing any differently to when we were winning week in week out start of the season but where we had games fall the right side of the knife edge its now the wrong side and can't seem to break it.

Do seem a different beast in the cups though oddly!

Saturday at Exeter is massive, absolutely massive... for both clubs and likely both managers futures.

Muzzle

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
fucking Luton....shit ground, shit drive, and shit to get away after the match

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Josh Murphy will be playing/starting regularly, certainly for a while, as other senior wingers Marcus Browne*/ Kyle Edwards are both out until at least January and we now only have 3 left (2 20 year olds, with one on his first loan from Everton, and Murphy). Murphy was excellent and we are hoping he kicks on from here. He has just had a kid so hopefully it pushes him on.

That was pretty much our strongest team so no disrespect in the selection. It had an England U20 International keeper, James Beadle, who is going to have a good career, Welsh International Mark Harris and regular Northern Ireland International (and our PotY last season) Ciaron Brown. On top of Kyle Edwards/Marcus Browne, we have Sam Long and Greg Leigh out injured as likely 1st team regulars. The January transfer window will be vital for us and our prospects for the remainder of the season.

*He came on as a sub for his first game back from long term injury but now has a potential problem with his other leg so then came off after 12 minutes. Considering his injury problems it was really sad to see as you could see he was devastated.
To clarify, as I wrote it quite confusingly and it might not have been clear, I was saying that Buckingham did in fact show us respect.

Shame about Browne, never nice to see that. Had no idea he'd just come back, hope it's nothing too serious and you get him back on the pitch quickly.l

Throbber_for_Dunk

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge
Luton's greatest asset is that it's brilliant to get away from....

But yeah i've always quite liked Luton away, there's not many left like it. But having to drive there in winter from the north west to lose 2-0 that you might not see much of, doesn't set the heart racing.

Muzzle

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Luton's greatest asset is that it's brilliant to get away from....

But yeah i've always quite liked Luton away, there's not many left like it. But having to drive there in winter from the north west to lose 2-0 that you might not see much of, doesn't set the heart racing.
:)

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Be an early start for whoever out of us and Stevenage win the replay. Moved to a 12:30 kickoff due to overseas TV.

Muzzle

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Luton now moved to Sunday 2pm for overseas live match

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Stevenage on Tuesday night for us. No rest for the wicked at the moment as right in the middle of doing the Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday routine. I think we will probably have to name a strong lineup for it. Knowing the draw now there is a good opportunity for the winner to make the 4th round and earn some prize money and potential money-spinner there. Promises to be a grim evening though, sparse crowd and probably little in the way of entertainment. Wouldn’t shock me if this goes the distance to penalties.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Stevenage on Tuesday night for us. No rest for the wicked at the moment as right in the middle of doing the Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday routine. I think we will probably have to name a strong lineup for it. Knowing the draw now there is a good opportunity for the winner to make the 4th round and earn some prize money and potential money-spinner there. Promises to be a grim evening though, sparse crowd and probably little in the way of entertainment. Wouldn’t shock me if this goes the distance to penalties.
One thing we dont want with injuries and the extra matches is extra time but would like to progress here and also build some momentum on from Saturday to take into the Xmas fixtures and quarter final with Middlesborough.

That said Wigan is more important so may see a couple of changes, Devine maybe comes back in? Would you risk Lowe here?

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
One thing we dont want with injuries and the extra matches is extra time but would like to progress here and also build some momentum on from Saturday to take into the Xmas fixtures and quarter final with Middlesborough.

That said Wigan is more important so may see a couple of changes, Devine maybe comes back in? Would you risk Lowe here?

I think the challenge is what we do on the left side. I like Connor Grant but his history suggests someone that does spend a lot of time out injured so do we want to risk him with the Wigan and the Boro games to come? Centrebacks I’d be at ease going with Lowe again and probably drop Smith for Iacovitti. Maybe go with Devine in place of Chislett who probably just needs a little break.

Up top I’m hoping this might be a situation we can give Wilson some time on the pitch. He’s been back training a little while now.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think the challenge is what we do on the left side. I like Connor Grant but his history suggests someone that does spend a lot of time out injured so do we want to risk him with the Wigan and the Boro games to come? Centrebacks I’d be at ease going with Lowe again and probably drop Smith for Iacovitti. Maybe go with Devine in place of Chislett who probably just needs a little break.

Up top I’m hoping this might be a situation we can give Wilson some time on the pitch. He’s been back training a little while now.
Wouldn’t risk Grant really, possibly Lomax? Otherwise your going Massey and moving Sang to LWB really.

Devine must be about back and as you say I’d hope Wilson will be close, no coincidence our form went off a cliff when he got injured as although not a goal machine he is the only striker to score in the league for us and he is the only one capable of bringing the attacking midfielders into the fold with his quality.

It’s a tough one with so many fixtures especially at home on that massive draining pitch in a short space of time. Victims of our own (cup) success which is nice but is a heavy load.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Chosen to go without a recognised forward again. It’s a pretty damning indictment of the two senior ones we have available that doing that is deemed preferable and I can’t say I disagree (and one of them I think is close to being passed over for a 16 year old from the academy). Overall a strong enough lineup and nice to see the return of Devine.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Chosen to go without a recognised forward again. It’s a pretty damning indictment of the two senior ones we have available that doing that is deemed preferable and I can’t say I disagree (and one of them I think is close to being passed over for a 16 year old from the academy). Overall a strong enough lineup and nice to see the return of Devine.
I don’t like it, very negative that said Ben is on 7 or 8 for the season I guess!

Hoped Wilson would be back tonight but a strong XI nonetheless, tricky game they aren’t up there by fluke despite two tepid games against us this season and have the best away record in the division I think so we know what to expect, not sure if they’ll be usual Stevenage at VP with all the time wasting etc but they seem a side good on the counter.

Need to switch on to that.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
I don’t like it, very negative that said Ben is on 7 or 8 for the season I guess!

Hoped Wilson would be back tonight but a strong XI nonetheless, tricky game they aren’t up there by fluke despite two tepid games against us this season and have the best away record in the division I think so we know what to expect, not sure if they’ll be usual Stevenage at VP with all the time wasting etc but they seem a side good on the counter.

Need to switch on to that.

You say that but what’s a greater goal threat. Our top scorer or two “strikers” that have a nice round figure between them?

Just as an aside this looks like the lowest crowd we’ve had with the exception of pizza trophy games in a while and it’s showing in other home attendances too. The crowd has not vocally turned against Crozball yet but maybe they’d prefer that to people just staying away. Maybe something Carol will take note of. And I say this with no sarcasm at all but respect to the 50 or so Stevenage fans too. Incredible commitment that midweek.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
You say that but what’s a greater goal threat. Our top scorer or two “strikers” that have a nice round figure between them?

Just as an aside this looks like the lowest crowd we’ve had with the exception of pizza trophy games in a while and it’s showing in other home attendances too. The crowd has not vocally turned against Crozball yet but maybe they’d prefer that to people just staying away. Maybe something Carol will take note of. And I say this with no sarcasm at all but respect to the 50 or so Stevenage fans too. Incredible commitment that midweek.
What do I know eh?!

Sounds a dominant half that.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Crosby has cost us that. Cruising then makes negative subs like that

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Going to be difficult for Crosby to come back from this, lesson not learnt against Lincoln, let’s park the bus for 30 minutes when absolutely cruising to round 2. Shown again tonight he hasn’t the tactical nous to manage.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Unforgivable exit that and has to be the end of Crosby, that’s completely on him. We can’t carry on with this all season.

Should have been a comfortable passage to round three tonight from the position we were in.

We’ve only got ourselves to blame. Ridiculous subs, not only that we’ve got to face Wigan absolutely battered from extra time. Clueless. Absolutely livid at that.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
A game we should have won in the 90 by a large distance we’ve somehow contrived to choke a 2-0 lead conceding in the 96th in normal time and another equaliser in the last minute of extra time. This team are infuriating as are quite frankly some of the managers decisions tonight.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
A game we should have won in the 90 by a large distance we’ve somehow contrived to choke a 2-0 lead conceding in the 96th in normal time and another equaliser in the last minute of extra time. This team are infuriating and quite frankly some of the managers decisions tonight.
I don’t see how he can survive that, the money we’ve lost tonight purely down to his decisions, not opposition quality or anything other than absolutely stupid decisions.

I wanted him to do well but he’s lost me tonight.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
He lost me a while back. Really nice bloke but whatever he's working on in the week is having absolutely no effect.

We're the only team in the entire football league who would have given away 2 leads in the last minutes. It's an absolute joke. Why can't we just have a normal few years with steady progress?

With the greatest of respect to Stevenage, we should be miles ahead of them. The difference, and I hate to admit it, is they have a manager who knows how to change tactics and make substitutions to have an impact.

He should be sacked tonight but we're a 'nice' club more interested in charity than football. It may sound harsh, and I think the charity work is admirable, but Carol is more interested in building a legacy for her family than a football club. It's all about what happens on the pitch and we've lost sight of it in 18 months.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
He lost me a while back. Really nice bloke but whatever he's working on in the week is having absolutely no effect.

We're the only team in the entire football league who would have given away 2 leads in the last minutes. It's an absolute joke. Why can't we just have a normal few years with steady progress?

With the greatest of respect to Stevenage, we should be miles ahead of them. The difference, and I hate to admit it, is they have a manager who knows how to change tactics and make substitutions to have an impact.

He should be sacked tonight but we're a 'nice' club more interested in charity than football. It may sound harsh, and I think the charity work is admirable, but Carol is more interested in building a legacy for her family than a football club. It's all about what happens on the pitch and we've lost sight of it in 18 months.
She held on too long with Askey and the same mistakes are being made here.

For 60 minutes we were miles ahead of them, ooo let’s take off our creative players and go with four centre halves. Bonkers, did he not learn a thing at Lincoln?

He was a minute from really getting some momentum going after Saturday, now Wigan could be quite toxic, especially if we don’t get a result.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City

Just imagine how we feel. Lost to you, on an even worse run, and haven't scored three goals in 12 games! And yet he's still here..

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
She held on too long with Askey and the same mistakes are being made here.

For 60 minutes we were miles ahead of them, ooo let’s take off our creative players and go with four centre halves. Bonkers, did he not learn a thing at Lincoln?

He was a minute from really getting some momentum going after Saturday, now Wigan could be quite toxic, especially if we don’t get a result.

I’m not sure it will or at least in terms of people actively calling for him to go. Last nights attendance was 2000 which is less than we’ve had for some pizza trophy games. People are just voting with their feet which maybe the club may take notice of. He’s getting at least the Middlesbrough League Cup QF and most likely beyond. The board don’t want to be seen as one who sack managers so it won’t be any time soon I think.

It should have been nigh on impossible to lose that game for us last night. Even their equaliser in normal time we had the ball down by the corner flag at their end with less than 60 seconds to go and let them escape up the field to score. Just completely unprofessional.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Good but surprising result for the gas. Typical they go 4-0 up away from home when its not being streamed anywhere to watch it.
Disappointing to let in a couple of goals in 2nd half and even more disappointing that the oldies Wilson and Hunt both got injured so may miss Bolton.
Norwich away in the 3rd round, a bit 'meh', not a glamourous or winnable tie really but we dont get to that stage very often.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I’m not sure it will or at least in terms of people actively calling for him to go. Last nights attendance was 2000 which is less than we’ve had for some pizza trophy games. People are just voting with their feet which maybe the club may take notice of. He’s getting at least the Middlesbrough League Cup QF and most likely beyond. The board don’t want to be seen as one who sack managers so it won’t be any time soon I think.

It should have been nigh on impossible to lose that game for us last night. Even their equaliser in normal time we had the ball down by the corner flag at their end with less than 60 seconds to go and let them escape up the field to score. Just completely unprofessional.
Record low for an FA Cup tie at Vale Park... all be it I think that's more to do with the amount of home games (5 in 17 days).

Its just so frustrating, after a decent draw there, no one cares about Bolton in the Pizza cup but then a win Saturday and a very dominant performance for 60 odd minutes, see that out as we should of done and the place is feeling positive again and we go into the Wigan game buzzing, he has now thrown massive pressure back on the team and himself, especially when he says pretty much he was resting players after 60 minutes with Saturday in mind... lose now Saturday and your asking the question on that gamble.

Add in we finally get Loft scoring a goal which should boost his confidence for him to then miss the crucial penalty and he's probably back to square one we just can't seem to get out this rut from a mental point of view, we have the quality in the squad to be more than comfortable but Crosby isn't the right man and last night pretty much has turned the 50-50 fans over on that I think judging by social media and the forums.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Just imagine how we feel. Lost to you, on an even worse run, and haven't scored three goals in 12 games! And yet he's still here..
Same warning signs were there though, we sat back and had you had anyone capable of scoring a goal you'd have got a result.

Big win for us but lets be honest unless a lot changes for both sides that will be a League Two next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!