Is it time for a 'Managerial Merry go round' thread?

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Cotterill sounded like he's leaving Shrewsbury to me, he didn't seem too chuffed about the restructure going on above him and knew nothing about 5the approach for Cheltenham's DoF until he read it in the paper.

Just sounded very pissed off with everything.
Yeah he’s gone. Will probably be announced tomorrow. To say I’m gutted is an understatement. We were onto a good thing with Cotterill and if it weren’t for so many injuries throughout the season, I think we may have pushed, if not even entered the play off places come the end. Rumours of Roland Wycherley being a bit of a dick at the minute with regards to the club and has fallen out with just about everybody.

We now face possible our biggest ever restructure over the summer and it’s one that is so unnecessary. We’ve got a good squad and staff, yet Roland wants to tear it all down and start again when we have a very solid base to build on. Frustrating and anger amongst the supporters. If Cotterill stayed for another season I think this time next year we’re top 6 and preparing for the play offs once more. Now? Who knows.

No idea who we’ll appoint but whoever it is will need to be a yes man to Roland as the blokes ego can’t deal with another Cotts. I’m fully expecting Paul Hurst and Chris Doig to rock up at the Meadow next week to sign a three year contract personally.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Who's Wycherley? The owner/Chairman?

Does seems a weird one on the face of it, do you think Cotterill is a bit more demanding over budgets than he'd like a manager do be?

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
In a final twist of irony DC actually kept us up as we had enough points when he was sacked to stay up…

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Who's Wycherley? The owner/Chairman?

Does seems a weird one on the face of it, do you think Cotterill is a bit more demanding over budgets than he'd like a manager do be?
Roland Wycherley is our chairman. Has been since 1996 but is seemingly becoming more of a prick as he ages which is a shame.

I think Cotterill moaning about the budget is justified personally. Wycherley’s dream is to take us to make us a stable Championship club. Always has been since we sold off the Gay Meadow and built the new stadium 2 miles down the road. However, League One isn’t what it once was. The clubs at this level and the budgets are mental compared to what it once was. If we are to get promoted out of this division, we must spend more and get a bigger squad in. We only had a squad of 18 this season which is ridiculously short on numbers.

Next season will be our 9th consecutive season at this level. It’s getting a bit tiresome for some supporters now. We’re a well established club at this level but it’s time to push on now and to do that we must throw more money at it to compete with clubs that are currently occupying the top 6 for example. Some might see that as unsustainable, but it’s not for us. We own our own ground, have zero debt, own large amounts of land around the stadium (if anybody’s ever been to the Meadow, you can see the amount of land that’s own by the club on arrival, it’s huge) and we sold a small section of that off to Lidl not too long ago for something like 6 million. We have more than enough in the bank after turning profit after profit over until Covid hit.

But yeah, in regards to all these rumours regarding Steve Cotterill, there’s a lot of angry Salopians on our forum tonight. He’s earned the right to be backed well next season and given the chance to get us promotion. But that’s not looking likely now. I can only hope we’ve got a good manager lined up or the fans will turn on Roland which has never happened in his 26 years as chairman.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In a final twist of irony DC actually kept us up as we had enough points when he was sacked to stay up…
I did say at the time you probably had enough points even if you lost all your games which you almost did. Luckily we were on hand to make sure you were safe.
I still think sacking DC was premature given he got you promoted a year ahead of schedule but then again I think we did the same.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I did say at the time you probably had enough points even if you lost all your games which you almost did. Luckily we were on hand to make sure you were safe.
I still think sacking DC was premature given he got you promoted a year ahead of schedule but then again I think we did the same.
Guess we will never know the detail of it, some rumours etc in regards to it but is a sour taste not at least getting to say farewell after the 2 years he had with us and the emotions certainly at the end of last season.

My favourite Vale pic is DC arms out to the Vale end at Wembley after coming back to take us up despite his pain.

Classy statement from him as well through the LMA.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Guess we will never know the detail of it, some rumours etc in regards to it but is a sour taste not at least getting to say farewell after the 2 years he had with us and the emotions certainly at the end of last season.

My favourite Vale pic is DC arms out to the Vale end at Wembley after coming back to take us up despite his pain.

Classy statement from him as well through the LMA.
Here is my fave DC pic
JMP_Bristol_Rovers_v_Dagenham_RT0885.jpg

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Seems MK about to sack Mark Jackson. I wonder if this might see the return of Karl Robinson once his Leeds stint is done?

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
A bit harsh or was it stay up or else ?
As White Russian said, he barely improved us. He won 6 games and 4 of them were against teams also coming down with us, with the other 2 against Cambridge and Bristol Rovers.

As for Robbo... maybe. He would be the one to bring the fans back onside quicker, though the last 2 times we went into League 2 we brought in a manager that knew the league and stopped the rot almost immediately before pushing for promotion (4th in 06/07, 3rd in 18/19). That's the sort of manager I want in personally, though who I want that to be I'm less sure of this time around.

WhiteRussian

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
As White Russian said, he barely improved us. He won 6 games and 4 of them were against teams also coming down with us, with the other 2 against Cambridge and Bristol Rovers.

As for Robbo... maybe. He would be the one to bring the fans back onside quicker, though the last 2 times we went into League 2 we brought in a manager that knew the league and stopped the rot almost immediately before pushing for promotion (4th in 06/07, 3rd in 18/19). That's the sort of manager I want in personally, though who I want that to be I'm less sure of this time around.
I'd have Robbo back. He was totally fcuked over in that season we had in the Championship. The team was way worse that the one that got promoted.

I also think we need a new policy. A spine of a team we keep, irrespective of 'being nice' and 'assisting with your career progression'. Boils my piss that we sold Twine, Darling and co. We should be contracting players like that for at least 2 seasons and telling them we aren't going to let them sod off if it doesn't suit the club. Let the fringe players be loanees.

It won't happen theough.

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
I'd have Robbo back. He was totally fcuked over in that season we had in the Championship. The team was way worse that the one that got promoted.

I also think we need a new policy. A spine of a team we keep, irrespective of 'being nice' and 'assisting with your career progression'. Boils my piss that we sold Twine, Darling and co. We should be contracting players like that for at least 2 seasons and telling them we aren't going to let them sod off if it doesn't suit the club. Let the fringe players be loanees.

It won't happen theough.
Because that's financially stupid. We held out for what we wanted with both of those, and O'Riley, and more over the last few years that have been on longer contracts and it's allowed us to actually turn a profit for once. We just got the recruitment disastrously wrong this season.

WhiteRussian

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Because that's financially stupid. We held out for what we wanted with both of those, and O'Riley, and more over the last few years that have been on longer contracts and it's allowed us to actually turn a profit for once. We just got the recruitment disastrously wrong this season.
Mabe it is financially stupid but look at the teams that were up around there with us last season and are up around this season. They all kept the spine of their teams. Plymouth, Ipswich, Sheff W, Bolton. Peterborough.

Yes, I know these teams have bigger crowds and some have stupidly expensive squads but our crowds are falling and they are going to get worse next season. Winkie is more interested in putting on big concerts at the stadium and now at the bowl as well as getting snooker etc, at the Marshall arena.

Anyway, it is what it is. I don't expect any change in the direction when he comes out wringing his hands and spouting platitudes in a few days.

It will be nice to visit Harrogate :lol:

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports

Based on that criteria if it weren’t for him almost certainly taking some time away from football after what he’s been through there’s few better right now for L2 than Darrell Clarke. Not that I think he’d particularly fit at MK as he’d want final say on recruitment and also forget that philosophy stuff you associate with MK’s recent appointments. His is just to try and win and fuck everything else.

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
Based on that criteria if it weren’t for him almost certainly taking some time away from football after what he’s been through there’s few better right now for L2 than Darrell Clarke. Not that I think he’d particularly fit at MK as he’d want final say on recruitment and also forget that philosophy stuff you associate with MK’s recent appointments. His is just to try and win and fuck everything else.
He’s exactly what I want as well, it’s simply a case of right man wrong time.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If I were DC id take some time off now. Felt he came back way too quickly considering what happened. He would be best off maybe taking in other games and learning as he seems to hit a wall in L1 (apart from the season the snake slithered off and we missed out on the L1 play offs)

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
If I were DC id take some time off now. Felt he came back way too quickly considering what happened. He would be best off maybe taking in other games and learning as he seems to hit a wall in L1 (apart from the season the snake slithered off and we missed out on the L1 play offs)

Yeah I’m almost certain he will. You could tell even in the playoffs last year he was emotionally drained just by the way he went charging down the touchline when he got his red card. Seemed increasingly withdrawn as this season has gone on. Truth be told his record in L2 is such that there will always be demand for him and a bit of time out people will forget the end of his time at Vale though I still think it was dumb to do what we did.

As for Vale DC left us 24 days ago. We were told that they’d look at the managers position after the season but all implication was it would be Crosby who would be the front runner. Since then absolutely fuck all about it other than Crosby helping with the retained list and no idea if we are even looking externally. After all the excuses from the club last season about the playoffs hindering us and the Robbie Williams concert (which if I never hear about that fucking thing again it will be too soon) they’re getting themselves on the back foot again. Donny just by comparison sacked their boss a couple of days ago and already have a replacement lined up and Swindon got theirs sorted quick enough too.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Yeah I’m almost certain he will. You could tell even in the playoffs last year he was emotionally drained just by the way he went charging down the touchline when he got his red card. Seemed increasingly withdrawn as this season has gone on. Truth be told his record in L2 is such that there will always be demand for him and a bit of time out people will forget the end of his time at Vale though I still think it was dumb to do what we did.

As for Vale DC left us 24 days ago. We were told that they’d look at the managers position after the season but all implication was it would be Crosby who would be the front runner. Since then absolutely fuck all about it other than Crosby helping with the retained list and no idea if we are even looking externally. After all the excuses from the club last season about the playoffs hindering us and the Robbie Williams concert (which if I never hear about that fucking thing again it will be too soon) they’re getting themselves on the back foot again. Donny just by comparison sacked their boss a couple of days ago and already have a replacement lined up and Swindon got theirs sorted quick enough too.
We need to have a squad in place well before the friendlies start, I'm sure we'll miss out on targets due to other clubs with bigger budgets but I hope we have fully scouted realistic targets, made the approach etc.

I don't want to be in a position in August again where we have barely any strikers and no first choice goalkeeper. Let's have a more consistent team this season without chopping and changing. Get them in the door early, set up how we're going to play and commit to it.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
We need to have a squad in place well before the friendlies start, I'm sure we'll miss out on targets due to other clubs with bigger budgets but I hope we have fully scouted realistic targets, made the approach etc.

I don't want to be in a position in August again where we have barely any strikers and no first choice goalkeeper. Let's have a more consistent team this season without chopping and changing. Get them in the door early, set up how we're going to play and commit to it.

It starts with the managers position. No even half in demand free agent is going to sign for a club without knowing that. I always felt it was ridiculous some of the panicking from some quarters about relegation but we were confirmed safe after Charlton. They surely should have spent that time since that game figuring out what they want whether it’s proven L1 experience or someone with a track record developing young talent. I’m under no illusion they have done though.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Crosby said his future would be sorted this week but we haven't heard anything so unsure if thats because we are looking at other targets.

DC was out the blue and announced low key so could be a quick interview process this week and announcement but needs sorting asap as you say so we don't end up under prepared and missing out on targets last season.

The pitch is already up so the same speed on this please!

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford

It won't happen theough.
I wouldn't.

For balance in previous seasons (when he actually took our Chief Scout's recommendations and signed some bloody good players) we played some excellent football. Arguably some of the best I've seen. That being said there's far too much baggage and it would be exhausting both managing and being managed by him. When he joined us, our ownership were failing to pay VAT bills on time and generally were anonymous. His PR at the time was excellent. It's easy to brush over the bad when we were playoff chasing, however the last two seasons became unbearable. The mixed signals, uncomfortable interviews, rambling and emotional turbulence weren't good. His management most of the time was incoherent.

I had always said he's an average League One Manager who would never take someone down. Following this season I retract that comment.

Mostly all this season alone he achieved the following:

- Spent the summer/pre-season on holiday patching up his marriage following an affair with the Ladies Team Captain.
- Didn't dedicate any time to actual transfers, nor any preparation. He subsequently panicked and asked the Chairman at the time if he could help. We then signed some overpaid free agents who have put our progression back at least three seasons.
- Had the foresight to sign Josh Murphy. A £200,000 signing bonus plus his reputed £7,000 weekly wage. Until Liam Manning came in, he refused to play. No disciplinary action either. Just didn't fancy it. KR let him get on with it. Oh, he was happy to make the squad for the Arsenal game before disappearing again.
- We had three players, including a chap called Yoav Sade. He's not a footballer. Given a contract each season, never announced. Multiple rumours as to why. The guy was so bad, he played a couple of pre-season fixtures against lower level non-league sides. He was ripped apart. The guy is 22 years old. Why would you give a 22 year old a professional contract, someone who doesn't remotely resemble a footballer a gig? Heck, he's never been registered as part of the squad even once.
- Alienated his backroom staff to the point our Head of Youth Development resigned without a new role, our Chief Scout (one of the best in the country) resigned after a couple of seasons of rejected EVERY SINGLE recommendation. Our Chief Scout had been responsible for almost every signing over the last few years who we had recruited and sold for a profit. Instead, we went for over-the-hill panic buys recommended by out Chairman and KR's black book.
- Robbie Fowler mysteriously appeared on a match day. We then signed his son. Rumours abound he tried to sack off our academy in favour of using Robbie Fowler's. We then signed one of his academy products. Oh, we also signed Sam Allardyce a year or two back, a relative and namesake of Big Sam. Funny that. Guess who KR is currently working with?
- We were already woefully short offensively. The task in January was to recruit numbers. He subsequently loaned out last seasons top scorer on January deadline day to Port Vale. He failed to build numbers both in the summer and in January, recruiting Tyler Smith who contributed nothing and has been left out of most of Liam Manning's squads since, even despite our goalscoring struggles. We were left with 18 year old youth product Gatlin O'Donkor to lead the line whilst simultaneously falling to recruit the replacement.
- The entire club had been built to KR's liking. The guy had complete free-reign to do as he sees fit, surrounding himself with 'yes' men. Our Assistant Manager was interview by the Oxford Mail shortly after KR's departure, citing he'd like the job of Manager on a permanent basis given it was quite local to where he lives and it would be a bit inconvenient if he no longer had a job on his doorstep. Hardly the inspiring figure to motivate a side if the sole motivation is convenience!
- Jack Stevens and Matty Taylor were both loaned out due to a prank involving a sex doll with a picture of a certain ladies face. The prank didn't go down well. Jack Stevens and Matty Taylor joining Port Vale.
- He talks a lot about mental health advocacy whilst simultaneously treating people appallingly. During Dan Agyei's time at the club as has been stated by those more in the know than me, how that man is still playing football and has managed to perform admirably following his time with us is nothing short of miraculous. On a couple of occasions the guy was in tears on the pitch presumably as to his treatment.
- Gavin Whyte only returned to us last season due to having no alternative options. This season he refused, preferring to play for Cardiff reserves instead. There are many similar cases.
- The number of backroom staff and playing staff he has alienated is ridiculous.

There's much, much more that I can't think of right now.

Last edited:

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
I wouldn't.

For balance in previous seasons (when he actually took our Chief Scout's recommendations and signed some bloody good players) we played some excellent football. That being said there's far too much baggage and it would be exhausting both managing and being managed by him.

Mostly all this season alone he achieved the following:

- Spent the summer/pre-season on holiday patching up his marriage following an affair with the Ladies Team Captain.
- Didn't dedicate any time to actual transfers, nor any preparation. He subsequently panicked and asked the Chairman at the time if he could help. We then signed some overpaid free agents who have put our progression back at least three seasons.
- Had the foresight to sign Josh Murphy. A £200,000 signing bonus plus his reputed £7,000 weekly wage. Until Liam Manning came in, he refused to play. No disciplinary action either. Just didn't fancy it. KR let him get on with it. Oh, he was happy to make the squad for the Arsenal game before disappearing again.
- We had three players, including a chap called Yoav Sade. He's not a footballer. Given a contract each season, never announced. Multiple rumours as to why. The guy was so bad, he played a couple of pre-season fixtures against lower level non-league sides. He was ripped apart. The guy is 22 years old. Why would you give a 22 year old a professional contract, someone who doesn't remotely resemble a footballer a gig? Heck, he's never been registered as part of the squad even once.
- Alienated his backroom staff to the point our Head of Youth Development resigned without a new role, our Chief Scout (one of the best in the country) resigned after a couple of seasons of rejected EVERY SINGLE recommendation. Our Chief Scout had been responsible for almost every signing over the last few years who we had recruited and sold for a profit. Instead, we went for over-the-hill panic buys recommended by out Chairman and KR's black book.
- Robbie Fowler mysteriously appeared on a match day. We then signed his son. Rumours abound he tried to sack off our academy in favour of using Robbie Fowler's. We then signed one of his academy products. Oh, we also signed Sam Allardyce a year or two back, a relative and namesake of Big Sam. Funny that. Guess who KR is currently working with?
- We were already woefully short offensively. The task in January was to recruit numbers. He subsequently loaned out last seasons top scorer on January deadline day to Port Vale. He failed to build numbers both in the summer and in January, recruiting Tyler Smith who contributed nothing and has been left out of most of Liam Manning's squads since, even despite our goalscoring struggles. We were left with 18 year old youth product Gatlin O'Donkor to lead the line whilst simultaneously falling to recruit the replacement.
- The entire club had been built to KR's liking. The guy had complete free-reign to do as he sees fit, surrounding himself with 'yes' men. Our Assistant Manager was interview by the Oxford Mail shortly after KR's departure, citing he'd like the job of Manager on a permanent basis given it was quite local to where he lives and it would be a bit inconvenient if he no longer had a job on his doorstep. Hardly the inspiring figure to motivate a side if the sole motivation is convenience!
- Jack Stevens and Matty Taylor were both loaned out due to a prank involving a sex doll with a picture of a certain ladies face. The prank didn't go down well. Jack Stevens and Matty Taylor joining Port Vale.
- He talks a lot about mental health advocacy whilst simultaneously treating people appallingly. During Dan Agyei's time at the club as has been stated by those more in the know than me, how that man is still playing football and has managed to perform admirably following his time with us is nothing short of miraculous. On a couple of occasions the guy was in tears on the pitch presumably as to his treatment.
- Gavin Whyte only returned to us last season due to having no alternative options. This season he refused, preferring to play for Cardiff reserves instead. There are many similar cases.
- The number of backroom staff and playing staff he has alienated is ridiculous.

There's much, much more that I can't think of right now.
But apart from that he is a great guy..
Joking aside - sounds an absolute helmet. you are glad to be rid of him.

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
The thing about Robbo is that our fans have the rosy memories from 2010-2016 to fall back on, but often don't realise that it's been 7 years since he was sacked and the guy has gone through 2 clubs unsuccessfully since.

I love him for what he did for us, but Robbo would be a sure sign that the chairman is simply trying to patch things up with the fans immediately, rather than bringing in somebody for purely football reasons that can actually get us back up to this level quickly.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
The thing about Robbo is that our fans have the rosy memories from 2010-2016 to fall back on, but often don't realise that it's been 7 years since he was sacked and the guy has gone through 2 clubs unsuccessfully since.

I love him for what he did for us, but Robbo would be a sure sign that the chairman is simply trying to patch things up with the fans immediately, rather than bringing in somebody for purely football reasons that can actually get us back up to this level quickly.

Arguably there's probably a case for someone similar to Liam Manning though I suspect for that to work effectively more organisation is required from the little I've understood? Either that or a modern day 2023 version of Martin Allen to galvanise everyone... Just not Martin Allen!

But apart from that he is a great guy..
Joking aside - sounds an absolute helmet. you are glad to be rid of him.
Yes. Though again for balance, most people in football aren't exactly saintly...

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
Arguably there's probably a case for someone similar to Liam Manning though I suspect for that to work effectively more organisation is required from the little I've understood? Either that or a modern day 2023 version of Martin Allen to galvanise everyone... Just not Martin Allen!
Martin Allen and Paul Tisdale are the two managers mentioned that we'll be looking for similar. Basically one that knows the league already and has had relative success in it. I very much doubt we'll go the Manning route again this time around, unless there's a truly outstanding candidate.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
25 fucking days since sacking DC to then go and give it to the guy you were always going to. At least they’ve made it official now which is the main thing.

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
We get rid of the best manager we have had for 10 years and replace him with a novice in Crosby. Shocking appointment pretty much guaranteed relegation now and I won't be having a season ticket as they have put the price up despite making cut backs such as January transfer window and this management appointment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!