You are currently browsing the football forums as a guest. Sign up now for free and benefit from totally ad-free browsing. Logged in members see no ads.

League 2 General Chat Thread

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Yes i agree and that was because of mismanagement at the top. We as a football club paid a heavy price for that.
We operated under a embargo for three years and received -12 points on administration....All our decent players looked elsewhere and could go without a fee......We was relegated two years running.

I can slate Barrow because i am a tax payer.....No footballers should ever get furlough money period.
You cannot say other clubs are doing it or worse without proof.

In my opinion if you have to furlough players you should receive -12 points
Bolton have a hotel that was losing money hand over fist before the pandemic - i bet they've nearly all been put on furlough which has resulted in Bolton losing less money on it a month than they were before.....

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Bolton have a hotel that was losing money hand over fist before the pandemic - i bet they've nearly all been put on furlough which has resulted in Bolton losing less money on it a month than they were before.....
That's a business associated with the Club though, not players.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I am not in the least bothered about bar staff, receptionists or chefs being put on furlough
That is right as the hotel is not in use.

I have a problem with putting players, and groundstaff on furlough and carrying on the season.
We have Two players who have been out all season [Dennis Politic, Liam Edwards] It would be easy to copy Barrows thinking with these two.

We have another 7/8 players who we signed last summer who will not get anywhere near the first team
should we just de register them and let the taxpayer see out there contracts until they are released in the summer.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
I am not in the least bothered about bar staff, receptionists or chefs being put on furlough
That is right as the hotel is not in use.

I have a problem with putting players, and groundstaff on furlough and carrying on the season.
We have Two players who have been out all season [Dennis Politic, Liam Edwards] It would be easy to copy Barrows thinking with these two.

We have another 7/8 players who we signed last summer who will not get anywhere near the first team
should we just de register them and let the taxpayer see out there contracts until they are released in the summer.
so why didn't you kick up a big fuss about Mansfield's groundsman who has been on furlough all season apparently?

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
so why didn't you kick up a big fuss about Mansfield's groundsman who has been on furlough all season apparently?
I think you will see that i slated them for it on here

Type masi51 and mansfield in the search box and you will find quite a few posts there

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Yes i agree and that was because of mismanagement at the top. We as a football club paid a heavy price for that.
We operated under a embargo for three years and received -12 points on administration....All our decent players looked elsewhere and could go without a fee......We was relegated two years running.

I can slate Barrow because i am a tax payer.....No footballers should ever get furlough money period.

Except you didn't get 12 points deducted for not paying businesses - it was because you went into administration. For what it's worth, I agree that a points deduction would be a good rule to deter this sort of thing.

As 58 of the 72 EFL clubs are claiming furlough, and I haven't seen many (any?) other club directors criticising Barrow's approach, it's a safe bet that others are doing it or looking at doing it.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Except you didn't get 12 points deducted for not paying businesses - it was because you went into administration. For what it's worth, I agree that a points deduction would be a good rule to deter this sort of thing.

As 58 of the 72 EFL clubs are claiming furlough, and I haven't seen many (any?) other club directors criticising Barrow's approach, it's a safe bet that others are doing it or looking at doing it.

Accy chairman Andy Holt commented on it when asked on Twitter, and he said effectively what I and many others have been saying on our forum all along. Unfortunately there's a minority who don't see anything wrong with what we've done, and that includes our board it seems.

One bloke even managed the weirdest comparison ever seen, saying the taxpayer not agreeing with paying for Barrow's unwanted players is only the same as a Cornish fisherman not liking that some of his money is being spent on trident submarines.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers

How do you punish other businesses that are exploiting the system then? Use your vast wisdom to explain to us what needs to be done about that. As a tax payer surely you are angered by the company responsible for the very system used for this forum paying barely any tax. Where do you set the limit for your standard. Is it OK for multinational companies but wrong for local businesses. Give us guidance for we are lost in the wilderness.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Accy chairman Andy Holt commented on it when asked on Twitter, and he said effectively what I and many others have been saying on our forum all along. Unfortunately there's a minority who don't see anything wrong with what we've done, and that includes our board it seems.

One bloke even managed the weirdest comparison ever seen, saying the taxpayer not agreeing with paying for Barrow's unwanted players is only the same as a Cornish fisherman not liking that some of his money is being spent on trident submarines.

Yeah, that Bombadel character? I think he was replying to me - he's a proper bootlicker. One of those that can never admit the club is wrong or that a player isn't good enough.

Robshep

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Yeah, that Bombadel character? I think he was replying to me - he's a proper bootlicker. One of those that can never admit the club is wrong or that a player isn't good enough.
That bloke is a hypocrite.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC

Yep, people think supporting a club is patting the owners/players/everyone on the back every time. Part of supporting a club is highlighting when things are done wrong and holding whoever is responsible to account, and this has been done badly wrong, and I've felt very let down by it all. But apparently that means I'm not a genuine supporter.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

I’m sure we will be one of the 14 not doing it as Fenty would never do something like that, he is as honest as trustworthy as they come. :ohn:

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I’m sure we will be one of the 14 not doing it as Fenty would never do something like that, he is as honest as trustworthy as they come. :ohn:
office staff, club shop and Ticket sales are fine to go on furlough......the aint 58 clubs with players on furlough ffs

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
office staff, club shop and Ticket sales are fine to go on furlough......the aint 58 clubs with players on furlough ffs

Really not sure you should be participating in any debate until you learn to read.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
OAFC 21/22 adult season ticket prices

£160 for 20/21 season ticket holders (before April 16th)
£180 for 19/20 season ticket holders (before April 16th)
£200 otherwise (Before May 7th)
Great prices well done Oldham

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
They have never managed to look into all the tax avoidance going on in huge companies.

Always pressure from above for the underpaid, understaffed, demoralised and often frankly under-qualified HMRC staff to turn a blind eye to it. Corporation tax investigators routinely instructed to offer marginal repayments at the expense of the taxpayer. Always outgunned in court. Only large ‘businesses’ that HMRC are good at successfully prosecuting are other government-run employers such as NHS Trusts and local councils. Been that way with football for a long time as well; toe-rags like Ron Martin just take the piss and string HMRC along as often as they can. Gone are the days that crooks like Stan Flashman at Barnet got absolutely hammered.

Bone Idle

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Us and grimsby have been charged with not controlling our players after scott bennett was sent off, fuckin joke! it was no more than what you see when any player is sent off in any game.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Us and grimsby have been charged with not controlling our players after scott bennett was sent off, fuckin joke! it was no more than what you see when any player is sent off in any game.

Yeah, can't see a lot wrong tbh. Bit of a rash tackle and a bit of handbags.

Last edited:

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United

Us and Southend had a fine for similar too for a pretty nothing incident on Boxing Day. Surprised me at the time and I just assumed it must happen quite regularly but you never really hear of it when it's not your club.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Yep, we had a recent charge from the Bradford game which I think remains a mystery - the best explanation was that it was a new rule about getting in people's faces (cos of covid and all that...).

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We had one at Orient last year when their side tried to take on Popey who didn’t back down.

Sure we got a couple of grand fine and Orient the same.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Scot Bennett is the nicest bloke you could ever meet so I was perplexed that he was sent off.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Just looked at the footage of the sending-off incident and it was something and nothing.

Shrimper92

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
OAFC 21/22 adult season ticket prices

£160 for 20/21 season ticket holders (before April 16th)
£180 for 19/20 season ticket holders (before April 16th)
£200 otherwise (Before May 7th)

Ours was £250 this year and that was discointed. Getting ripped off here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinalRunner