Matchday Thread 08/08 - The TinpotVision Contest

Bluandwite

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
I'm allowed to post in here aren't I? Let's face it o-one goes in the North thread.

Really enjoyed our performance today, first half we could have been 3 up but went in at 1-0 thank to Glenn Rule. Boston started the 2nd half very lively and deservedly got an equaliser, if the game ended that way I'd have taken it, they're a decent side.

We defended well when we needed too and Odejayi and Gonalez were brilliant upfront, they allowed us to go long but they're also good on the ground with the ball at their feet, they both ran their balls off and deserved a goal. Glenn Rule is just ace, such a good player, did he used to play for Chester? If so I can't believe they let him go. Real fans favourite already.

Everyone was brilliant today and Young was clever tacticlly swell, changed the formation twice near the end to secure us the points. We look so different to last season.
He did but before we reformed so he was playing in League 2 when he came through here, so we didn't exactly let him go!

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
I'm allowed to post in here aren't I? Let's face it o-one goes in the North thread.

Really enjoyed our performance today, first half we could have been 3 up but went in at 1-0 thank to Glenn Rule. Boston started the 2nd half very lively and deservedly got an equaliser, if the game ended that way I'd have taken it, they're a decent side.

We defended well when we needed too and Odejayi and Gonalez were brilliant upfront, they allowed us to go long but they're also good on the ground with the ball at their feet, they both ran their balls off and deserved a goal. Glenn Rule is just ace, such a good player, did he used to play for Chester? If so I can't believe they let him go. Real fans favourite already.

Everyone was brilliant today and Young was clever tacticlly swell, changed the formation twice near the end to secure us the points. We look so different to last season.
All sounds good Sam, Boston will be in shake up again this season, so this is an excellent start for a team that is still gelling.

Very happy to read (on yellowboard) that Morton did well and that the two beasts up top worked as a partnership.

In all your excitement you didn't mention Garner's winner :blush:

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
All sounds good Sam, Boston will be in shake up again this season, so this is an excellent start for a team that is still gelling.

Very happy to read (on yellowboard) that Morton did well and that the two beasts up top worked as a partnership.

In all your excitement you didn't mention Garner's winner :blush:

Morton didn't get much help from Dyson who didn't look comfortable out wide but dealt with their wingers by himself.

Still a long way to go obviously but Boston looked a real good side today & to beat them is a massive result.

Can't say I remember Garner scoring ;)

Shotsfan1993

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Twitter
@SamOS1993
I hope Gateshead enjoyed the 3 points we gifted them today. Was furious 3 hours ago and am still furious now. Doesn't matter how we play if we can't do the basics in our own penalty area.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Haha love it he never stops running, puts in some quality challenges too, wait till you see his goal!
When he's on form he's brilliant. In the last two seasons he went missing too often for us unfortunately. I definitely wanted him to stay in the summer!

As for thw goal...He only scores screamers.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Morton didn't get much help from Dyson who didn't look comfortable out wide but dealt with their wingers by himself.

Still a long way to go obviously but Boston looked a real good side today & to beat them is a massive result.

Can't say I remember Garner scoring ;)
Not even for Preston :lol:

Garvin I mean................I wasn't even in attendance and it looks like i'm over excited too.

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Well absolutely delighted with a draw was something if you were there you would have said Grimsby should have won by 3 or 4. But an amazing performance in goal by Snedker kept us in it for the whole game.Grimsby's goals were both well taken, poor defending from Harriers for the second. Styche scored a typical Styche goal where the Grimsby player hit it back to the keeper too hard he miss controlled it and Styche pounced. And Verma scored a header at the back post after the Grimsby defence fell asleep.

Credit to the Grimsby fans you were amazing very loud throughout the game (except the last minute ;))

PS your first goal was definitely offside

slaphead

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
I hope Gateshead enjoyed the 3 points we gifted them today. Was furious 3 hours ago and am still furious now. Doesn't matter how we play if we can't do the basics in our own penalty area.

Don't agree with the gift bit. Gateshead played for 90 minutes and we played for 75, that's why they won. They made changes at the right time, we didn't, only making changes after we had gone behind. Browne should have come off after an hour, he was clearly (and understandably) knackered, and Barnes-Homer not long after, he looked so unfit and like he was running in treacle.

As for doing the basics in our penalty area, doing something in the oppos area would be nice too. 89 minutes until the Gateshead keeper has to make a meaningful save just isn't good enough.

Mark kavanagh

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
3 good points against what seemed a decent woking team today, we were not great but we ground the points out!!!

New squad will take time to gel, im more then happy with that

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Well absolutely delighted with a draw was something if you were there you would have said Grimsby should have won by 3 or 4. But an amazing performance in goal by Snedker kept us in it for the whole game.Grimsby's goals were both well taken, poor defending from Harriers for the second. Styche scored a typical Styche goal where the Grimsby player hit it back to the keeper too hard he miss controlled it and Styche pounced. And Verma scored a header at the back post after the Grimsby defence fell asleep.

Credit to the Grimsby fans you were amazing very loud throughout the game (except the last minute ;))

PS your first goal was definitely offside

What was Styche playing at celebrating infront of Hurst?

I can't work out if you were really poor today or we were good. I hope it's latter because we were extremely unlucky today.

Shotsfan1993

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Twitter
@SamOS1993
Don't agree with the gift bit. Gateshead played for 90 minutes and we played for 75, that's why they won. They made changes at the right time, we didn't, only making changes after we had gone behind. Browne should have come off after an hour, he was clearly (and understandably) knackered, and Barnes-Homer not long after, he looked so unfit and like he was running in treacle.

As for doing the basics in our penalty area, doing something in the oppos area would be nice too. 89 minutes until the Gateshead keeper has to make a meaningful save just isn't good enough.

But despite that, they rarely threatened other than from aerial balls into the box, which from what I have seen in pre-season and today is something we really need to work on. The 2 goals we gave away are almost unforgivable in my opinion.

Barnes-Homer did fade 2nd half although it is no suprise considering he hasnt played a full 90 minutes during pre-season because of his knock. I would have brought Charlie Walker on for him earlier. But hopefully Barry Smith will learn from those tactical mistakes and adapt his plans accordingly next time we are in a similar situation.

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
What was Styche playing at celebrating infront of Hurst?

I can't work out if you were really poor today or we were good. I hope it's latter because we were extremely unlucky today.

According to his twitter Hurst made a comment to him so he shushed him, a bit childish but that's Styche. And it's definitely the latter you guys were very good but I don't think we were too bad in all honesty. I think we will surprise a few who have predicted us to go down his season.

EDIT According to our forum it could have been your assistant either way there was apparently a comment made

Last edited:

Nate SWA

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
When he's on form he's brilliant. In the last two seasons he went missing too often for us unfortunately. I definitely wanted him to stay in the summer!

As for thw goal...He only scores screamers.

Skip the jibberish till 2.50

B Block Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester
A hard earned 3 points for us today.. Braintree has plenty of possesion and stopped our midfield having the ball. Great goal from Hunt, that'll help him having been ex Wxm! Hannah looked a bit isolated today, for me Hobson needs to play closer to him. But no complaints. Our first opening day win in this division under our new guise. Oh and hello everyone, first post for me. Look forward to some decent footy chat.

CrazyImp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Twitter
@Sam_LCFC_90
Oh you're going to love Garry Hill.

After all, the worst Grimsby side he's ever seen came within a shootout of the FL. Haha, the douchebag.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
A hard earned 3 points for us today.. Braintree has plenty of possesion and stopped our midfield having the ball. Great goal from Hunt, that'll help him having been ex Wxm! Hannah looked a bit isolated today, for me Hobson needs to play closer to him. But no complaints. Our first opening day win in this division under our new guise. Oh and hello everyone, first post for me. Look forward to some decent footy chat.
Welcome to the forum!

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Have a feeling that Morning Wood will be lovable hate figures in this league.

There were a good amount of Town fans, half in club regalia, wandering around the ground looking for the away turnstiles, with stewards standing idly by. Eventually as the home end's queue becomes mostly Shaymen, one steward begins to cotton on that we're not from round 'ere, and after some deliberation he finds out that away fans go around the other side. It's pretty special to find that the stewards at a game know as little of the ground you're entering as you do. Luckily with a minute to spare we found a sign on the side of an adjacent bowling club showing where the TUNRSTILES were.

UD0rcha.jpg

Their songs consisted of "You are my B-Wood" (B-Wood!) and a few derogatory things about northerners, mostly shouted through a megaphone one of them had, who kept turning on this siren sound effect on it. Lots of Chelsea and Arsenal kits spotted but only a lone child in a BWFC replica kit. There were a few trying to bait away fans as they walked in and out of the ground too. They're a bit of a weird bunch, but it remains to be seen how many of them will travel and how many will still watch them at home if they drop out of the playoffs...

We were poor but I'd braced myself for that. Ultimately it was a mediocre performance with three fatal defensive slips interspersed. Jake Hibbs was the player who agreed with me most, nice of him to win us a penalty and hit the post with a free kick. He's really come along in the two years we've been nurturing him and is looking up to it at 18.

Best be patient and let an almost entirely new, largely U23 squad come together. Surprised that we haven't received much stick from this loss on here. It is pretty worrying and I hope the Jester fans won't have a similar display to laugh at midweek. I hope our fans don't react as abysmally to it as usual either, and hope springs eternal. The bite is that what made us bad today is similar to what made us bad in the final third of last season: hoofing, no attempts on goal, lack of character.

Still feels fucking great to start a new football season though.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
I attended Welling 1-0 Guiseley today. Felt Welling deserved the victory if only for the fact they seemed to want it more. They looked fitter, faster and stronger. Their front 2 caused all sorts of problems - the number 9 Kabba was very good - about 5 foot but fast and good technique, he also out jumped the dreadful Guiseley centre backs,who were about a foot taller, on numerous occasions. I assume he took a knock because he was subbed about 60 minutes in.
Welling were direct, into channels, balls over the top, first to every 2nd ball - not pretty but effective against Guiseley's weakness - their defence. If they play like they did today against better sides they'll be on the end of some hidings. The fullbacks were easily beaten time and again and the centre backs were woeful - if they won more than 4 headers all day when challenged I'll be surprised. Every ball over the top they were slow to read and their tactic of dealing with the big 14 of Welling and Kabba was to fall over and try and get a freekick if they got near them. The goal was all about their poor play than Welling being any good - great ball in to the back post Welling win the header back across goal and everyone in yellow stood still to allow Kabba to bundle the ball in.
The good for Guiseley though is that they played some great football, some of the one touch passing, movement and technique would not have looked out of place in higher divisions. They also had the best chances to score bar the goal - first half cracking effort hit the bar and in the 2nd when Welling had taken off their front 2 and looked toothless Guiseley played some lovely stuff around the box and found some space. Liam Dickinson skewed one wide he should have done better with and then in the last minute they had one cleared off the line after some great passing split open the Welling defence. Dickinson clearly isn't fit for 90 minutes but when he came on they looked much much better, he held the ball up superbly and his drawing away of defenders to create space for others was a big reason as to why Guiseley looked much better in the last 15 minutes.

Some asides - Guiseley players were wearing the longest shorts I've ever seen on footballers - the goalkeeper was pretty short and his came half way down his calf.
They bought about 50-60 fans, very good noise from them especially first half.
Spoke to Liam Dickinson at half time, as an ex-Shrimper I wanted to see how he was doing, said Southend was the first time he'd enjoyed football since Stockport, loved it and was gutted when he broke his ankle. (We were top when he did that and ended up missing out in the playoffs) Said he hasn't been the same since the ankle break, just enjoyed getting out on the pitch now.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Bradford PA 2 (Michael Potts 18,35) Alfreton 2 (Thanoj 66, Ironside pen 90+5

Well where do i begin with today??!

Incredible game as we ended with NINE MEN + another after the final whistle! and Bradford PA 10 in believe or not a game which was far from Dirty. Illustrated by the fact it took over an hour for the First booking after that however its safe to say the Ref lost control completely.

First half we were totally fucking wank. Absolute dog shit. Despite a good start where John Johnstone had two one on one chances with former Red John Stewart but fluffed his lines on both. After that we created absolutely nothing and were awful and went in at HT 2-0 down. We came out Second half and Bradford PA just took their foot off the gas and allowed us a foothold in the game. Which we took as a beauty of a FK from 25 yards from Thanoj gave us a life line.

Then the First Red as Sam Berry dragged down Walshaw and was rightly given his marching orders. Then one of the craziest final 10 minutes I have seen as former Shayman Simon Ainge crashed a free header against the Underside of the bar for Avenue before Tom Allan was sent off with 3 minutes left for ad he sent Walshaw sprawling when through clear on goal.

Then somehow incredibly we launch one final hopeful ball forward to Ironside who was shit all game and with sheer will and determination he chases down a lost cause and a stupid challenge from Pursehouse takes two feet from under him for a PENALTY.

Ironside gets up and slots home the spot-kick himself with the final kick f the game to give Alfreton the most fortunate of draws in the definition of daylight robbery.

Then tempers fray in a massive fracas in the middle of the Pitch after the FT when Dan Bradley, injured in the Pre Match warm up and not in the XI get himself sent off along with Luke Dean to round off an unbelievable game.

I have never seen such a underserved draw in all my life then today.

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
Bradford PA 2 (Michael Potts 18,35) Alfreton 2 (Thanoj 66, Ironside pen 90+5

Well where do i begin with today??!

Incredible game as we ended with NINE MEN + another after the final whistle! and Bradford PA 10 in believe or not a game which was far from Dirty. Illustrated by the fact it took over an hour for the First booking after that however its safe to say the Ref lost control completely.

First half we were totally fucking wank. Absolute dog shit. Despite a good start where John Johnstone had two one on one chances with former Red John Stewart but fluffed his lines on both. After that we created absolutely nothing and were awful and went in at HT 2-0 down. We came out Second half and Bradford PA just took their foot off the gas and allowed us a foothold in the game. Which we took as a beauty of a FK from 25 yards from Thanoj gave us a life line.

Then the First Red as Sam Berry dragged down Walshaw and was rightly given his marching orders. Then one of the craziest final 10 minutes I have seen as former Shayman Simon Ainge crashed a free header against the Underside of the bar for Avenue before Tom Allan was sent off with 3 minutes left for ad he sent Walshaw sprawling when through clear on goal.

Then somehow incredibly we launch one final hopeful ball forward to Ironside who was shit all game and with sheer will and determination he chases down a lost cause and a stupid challenge from Pursehouse takes two feet from under him for a PENALTY.

Ironside gets up and slots home the spot-kick himself with the final kick f the game to give Alfreton the most fortunate of draws in the definition of daylight robbery.

Then tempers fray in a massive fracas in the middle of the Pitch after the FT when Dan Bradley, injured in the Pre Match warm up and not in the XI get himself sent off along with Luke Dean to round off an unbelievable game.

I have never seen such a underserved draw in all my life then today.

Sorry, wrong thread. This is the Matchday Thread and not the Conference North one.

Cardsfan

Reaction score
Supports
Woking
Oh you're going to love Garry Hill.

After all, the worst Grimsby side he's ever seen came within a shootout of the FL. Haha, the douchebag.
You wouldn't know anything about being over-dramatic, surely ;)

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
Hahahaha. I heart Garry Hill. "I educated Richard Hill and Eastleigh about what a good player Yemi is. So they took him back to sit on the bench and sell programmes because that's all he'll do in a squad of 57 players."

Saying he shanked it... sore loser. His voice grates too.

Sounds like he says: "The boys say he shanked it" or "The boy says he's shanked it."

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC

Gateshead played for 90 minutes and we played for 75, that's why they won. They made changes at the right time, we didn't, only making changes after we had gone behind. Browne should have come off after an hour, he was clearly (and understandably) knackered, and Barnes-Homer not long after, he looked so unfit and like he was running in treacle.

I like Barry Scott Smith already. :fl:

ShrewdBlue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
Happy to get all 3 points today but I think a draw would have been a fairer result. Braintree had one clear chance which Worsnop smothered well and other than that they never looked like scoring really. Going on today I think Braintree will finish around the lower mid table but won't be in any danger of going down.

Sharps and Heneghan were brilliant at CB for us and I think it's a partnership that will keep getting stronger throughout the season. Hunt had a good game and scored a very nice goal.

Chappell and Shaw didn't look too sharp to me but it is only the first game I suppose. Also we can't continue playing Hannah up front alone as he was so isolated even against a very average Braintree defence.

The Cards

Reaction score
Supports
Woking
Didn't really turn up today and were definitely short of ideas up front, as were tranmere. Neither team had many chances and we simply lost to a free kick, which happens some games.

Had an eventful time after the game in the sportsmans arms pub with the local tranmere smackheads coming round looking for a fight. The genuine Tranmere fans I was speaking to in that pub were all top blokes and fair play to them all for backing us up when they realised we had no interest in a scrap. Would love to go there again next year if they stay down, very welcoming and down to earth people.

AtfcTilliDie

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot
Even though we did lose, I thought we played some great football at times but for whatever reason our team seems to lack fitness. I think the future is going to be alot brighter under smith, also I think we have one hell of a player in Rhys Browne.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Barrow started with a 2-1 win against a very good Dover side - I can't see Dover suffering from 2nd season syndrome after that performance.
Barrow started slowly and Dover had 3 good chances before Barrow got going, Deverics scoring with the 2nd of the chances with a well taken 20 yard shot. That woke Barrow up and Andy Cook scored after 24 and 34mins the 2nd after a great team move that Mo Fofana was at the centre of with a Yaya Toure type run - just like Lincoln fans said he sometimes does......
note to Grimsby fans - Cook was unplayable at times....
Of the new guys Fofana was immense, Ashton very good and Mellor and Grimes both played well.
It will take time for them to gel fully but things are looking good.
Both Barrow and Dover should be top half of the table come the end of the season.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!