You are currently browsing the football forums as a guest. Sign up now for free and benefit from totally ad-free browsing. Logged in members see no ads.

National League 2021/22

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

Didn’t know where else to stick this, but it’s a really interesting watch/listen for anyone who is into their podcasts. Richard Brindley going on one of our fan ones - haven’t seen many examples of such an in depth thing with a current player. Speaks really well, particularly the bit about racism in football and some of his experiences at Chesterfield and then with our former assistant manager last season.

Edit - What’s up with the embed codes on here? Search ‘Richard Brindley Magpie Circle’ or something.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
I think eventually the NL will be absorbed into the EFL - but please not next season... just so the Fylde chairman can't say 2022 was right - they should get out of NLN this coming season - so would by default get into EFL 2 North for the 2022/23 season if the 2 merged.

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Just want to say an absolute no to regionalisation of the fourth tier, the amount it saves in travel is negligible and it would make shit all difference in the number of fans at games (if you’re in L2 South for example you’d still have Boreham Wood skewing away attendances every other week).

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
I dont think a merger will ever happen. The fifth tiers media exposure would decrease sharply and it'd dilute media and solidarity payments for all existing EFL clubs. So it'd never be allowed.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I’m also against regionalisation at pro level. Even selfishly as a Midlands club you just end up shifted around - when the League Cup was regionalised I think we drew first round ties away at Plymouth then Middlesbrough in successive years.

I think the structure needs looking at, though. My personal suggestion would be for the EFL to become a four division set up, rationalised into leagues of 20, with the promotion and relegation also sorted out so it’s just three up, three down from each level. I’ve always thought 24 teams is just too many and ends up affecting the standard and the drama near the end when half the league has nothing to play for.

Although I also think that the division between organising bodies needs to come where the switch is from vast majority professional to vast majority semi professional. The NL is a useless organisation, but they also have a pretty impossible job because of that.

Fyldefan

Reaction score
Supports
Afc fylde
I think eventually the NL will be absorbed into the EFL - but please not next season... just so the Fylde chairman can't say 2022 was right - they should get out of NLN this coming season - so would by default get into EFL 2 North for the 2022/23 season if the 2 merged.

Ha ha ha get over it lad. You have an unhealthy obsession with us

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Regionalisation is a terrible idea, as has been pointed out before it’s often a lot easier to get north-south in this country than it is east-west.

Something has to happen with the NL. The EFL shit themselves at the prospect of losing one of their 3 promotion places into a 20 team league, but are quite happy to maintain just 2 relegation places out of a 24 team league. I don’t really know about a League 3. There are plenty of clubs who struggle to keep up with their costs in a mostly professional league, they’ll be toast in a fully professional league.

3 promotion places and the NL playoff system brought into the EFL as well. Bob’s your uncle.

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
Since merging and regionalising is the only way we're getting back into the League, I'll take it thanks. De-regionalising in 1958 cost us a dozen 10,000 gate home and away derbys with near and dear long time rivals and gave us instead a dozen games against southern teams nobody had heard of, nobody cared about and nobody wanted to watch. :bdick:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henotech