Sat 2nd Jan 2021

PVFCdyl

Reaction score
Supports
Port vale
Rumours now it’s all kicked off on the coach back from Mansfield apparently. FFS. If true it’s like Gannon all over again when the Horse tried to nail him.
It is true, I have friends who are related to McKirdy and Hurst who have confirmed it! I have wanted Askey out for a long time. I have respect for the man for what he did, I always will but I just never felt convinced he has what it takes to get promotion. However, I now believe it’s getting to the point where we have to start looking at the Shanahans and saying what are you playing at? I love what Carol has done for us so far but it’s been pretty plain sailing throughout there ownership. This is their first real test and they are failing miserably. Yes I understand we may have lost a million due to covid but surely the bigger picture shows it’s worth having to pay Askey off? If we risk dropping into non league, it’s not a guarantee that you come back up, surely it’s more detrimental than having to pay a contract off. It’s not even a matter of sacking him because we can’t win games anymore, the current players who are good enough will want to leave soon and who else will want to join? If ever we needed fans at vale park it is now to vocalise the concern!

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Mullins goal today is outrageous. 31 seconds in below.

Sydney Posse

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Brennan Dickenson on for his debut
How did he look today? he was real quality when he played for us, we couldn't keep him due to the powers to be releasing everybody who was not on a longer contract with the Covid etc

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
One match on Tuesday so best to add it to this thread.

1609658087893.png

Key Facts

Mansfield
: 5 games scoring 2+ goals, 5 clean sheets this season, 0 home league wins this season

Salford: 5 games since a loss, 5 games conceding 2+ goals, 10 clean sheets this season, 0 away league draws this season

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
One match on Tuesday so best to add it to this thread.

View attachment 13599

Key Facts

Mansfield
: 5 games scoring 2+ goals, 5 clean sheets this season, 0 home league wins this season

Salford: 5 games since a loss, 5 games conceding 2+ goals, 10 clean sheets this season, 0 away league draws this season
didn't Mansfield win at home yesterday?

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
didn't Mansfield win at home yesterday?
Yep but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
FGR have three successive games at home after their away match at Tranmere was postponed.
Tranmere are playing in FA Cup on that day.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
OMG you are so hard. I bet the other kids are terrified of you in the schoolyard
nowt against you pal, your team or the other Tranmere fans on this forum, but this clown is a grade one bellend

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
How did he look today? he was real quality when he played for us, we couldn't keep him due to the powers to be releasing everybody who was not on a longer contract with the Covid etc
He didn't get much time to do anything but played a couple of decent passes, so looks good. I have high hopes.

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
This reply makes no sense to me. Are you high?
Apologies. I misread original post and answered what I thought was asked.

I had been debating in my own mind whether to continue adding match stats to the threads.
Adding stats manually makes for occasional errors which I am desperate to avoid.
Coping match stats from an outside source would take up so much space.
I guess in future I'll just post the weekly matches without stats or comment.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Cooper was pretty annoyed that our game was abandoned yesterday, said that with no fans there, and the fact that no one can go down the pub, or got to the Italian or visit their gran, we might as well have waited an hour or however long it took for the weather to clear.

Fair point imo, rearranging games isn't ideal atm. Hopefully refs take that into account in future and give games every chance to finish.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Cooper was pretty annoyed that our game was abandoned yesterday, said that with no fans there, and the fact that no one can go down the pub, or got to the Italian or visit their gran, we might as well have waited an hour or however long it took for the weather to clear.

Fair point imo, rearranging games isn't ideal atm. Hopefully refs take that into account in future and give games every chance to finish.
Kewell seemed pretty content witht he referees decision, despite arguably having more to lose. A long away trip and on for a point away at one of the top teams you would have thought Oldham would be keen to see the match out, but maybe that's just Kewell being honest and the referee actually doing the right thing.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
We aren’t really, it wasn’t just aimless long balls either we’d very clearly identified that we could hurt Grimsby by getting the ball towards whoever your left back was. It worked too, two goals and 2/3 further decent chances all from pressuring that area of the pitch

Aside from a little bit of late pressure which is to be expected a very comfortable away victory
Perhaps you identified that, but you were launching them down the middle and down our right all game as well so it wasn't quite the carefully executed plan you seem to think it was.

Not sure you're having that as a very comfortable away victory either. While we weren't all over you, we were certainly the tidier team, created more, had more shots and more possession. A draw would have been a fair reflection perhaps, but that's only really because you caught us out on that second goal so we can't claim we deserved a win either.

A satisfactory amount of positives to take from Hurst's first game for us, particularly in terms of players looking up for it. The negatives that were apparent yesterday are ones that we've been aware of all season.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Got to watch the Bolton v Crawley highlights (eventually) and I've got to admit we owed the win to Glenn Morris. A couple of class saves from a keeper who only came to us as a coach and only got back to playing when our first choice's confidence was completely shot.

Good goal from Crawley. Loved Nichols lay of to Francomb running through.

Not quite sure why we decided to back off so much after scoring but, imho, it was too deep. Invited too much pressure. At one point I noticed our centre forward defending the edge of the box from open play!

Bloody good Xmas period for Crawley. Wins away at Orient, FGR and Bolton and a draw at home to Newport. Excelsior!

Casey

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
Kewell seemed pretty content witht he referees decision, despite arguably having more to lose. A long away trip and on for a point away at one of the top teams you would have thought Oldham would be keen to see the match out, but maybe that's just Kewell being honest and the referee actually doing the right thing.
An hour after the game was abandoned, the mist/fog disappeared.
Cooper had a right to be miffed.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Why couldn’t we get the fog, might have obscured the view at least so we didn’t have to watch that half arsed shit show.

Usually fans calm down after a defeat but i am
still as livid now as I was at 5pm as are most judging by social media and the forums!

To not put in full effort and have multiple players half arsed is bang unacceptable. Now it’s become obvious not only from Barrow and yesterday’s levels of performance and effort but the leaks from interviews now.

You wear that crest you put it in 100% win, lose or draw, if you do that regardless of the result we can take that.

Only Hurst first half and Brown who at least shown some passion. Hursts played five league starts and shown more than the other 9 combined.

Monty, Wozza and Pope second half held themselves but the rest should never wear the shirt again. You have an issue you leave it behind over those lines, if you can’t get out of the club.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town

But then you're expecting players to keep their muscles warm for an hour after already going through an hour of exertion. There's a higher risk of injury right there.

Given that I've read that Oldham weren't exactly happy with the game going ahead in the first place due to the pitch still being frozen in places (again, only what I've read) and the temperature not likely to have raised with it getting dark, then you can see why the ref took the easier decision to abandon.

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Can’t understand why games yesterday didn’t kick off at 1pm.

everyone could see the weather forecast that conditions would be getting worse as the afternoon progressed and darkness fell.

FGR Stroud

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers FC
But then you're expecting players to keep their muscles warm for an hour after already going through an hour of exertion. There's a higher risk of injury right there.

Given that I've read that Oldham weren't exactly happy with the game going ahead in the first place due to the pitch still being frozen in places (again, only what I've read) and the temperature not likely to have raised with it getting dark, then you can see why the ref took the easier decision to abandon.
Certainly arguments on both sides of debate.
But as NorthStandExile rightly says that because there are no supporters nor TV rights all games could kick off at 1pm.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
That's all very good in hindsight but the game had already been delayed, forty minutes was it? If the referee had waited an extra hour for the fog to lift then they'd still be waiting as the delay passed the ninety minute mark with no idea whether they'd be able to restart. I can understand the referee deciding everyone had been waiting around for long enough. Then as Si says, the players woud have to start warming up again.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Certainly arguments on both sides of debate.
But as NorthStandExile rightly says that because there are no supporters nor TV rights all games could kick off at 1pm.
Surprised they don’t anyway to save on floodlights etc

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
Why couldn’t we get the fog, might have obscured the view at least so we didn’t have to watch that half arsed shit show.

Usually fans calm down after a defeat but i am
still as livid now as I was at 5pm as are most judging by social media and the forums!

To not put in full effort and have multiple players half arsed is bang unacceptable. Now it’s become obvious not only from Barrow and yesterday’s levels of performance and effort but the leaks from interviews now.

You wear that crest you put it in 100% win, lose or draw, if you do that regardless of the result we can take that.

Only Hurst first half and Brown who at least shown some passion. Hursts played five league starts and shown more than the other 9 combined.

Monty, Wozza and Pope second half held themselves but the rest should never wear the shirt again. You have an issue you leave it behind over those lines, if you can’t get out of the club.
it was as bad as any performance in the last 5-6 years which is pretty damning in itself.

his position is untenable. I'm always on the later side of wanting managers sacked and 5-6 games into this run I was still confident that it was a temporary thing that was down to additional factors other than askey.

6 points from 36 available. the defending is shambolic. we know that these players are better than this and i simply refuse to believe that signing McKirdy, Robinson and Clark can have this sort of negative impact.

if it's true that they are the root cause then why are they not banned from training? make them train with the youth team, it cant be as costly as what we've done.

we're getting to the territory now where the question is can we afford NOT to sack him. zero evidence that he can turn this around. plenty of evidence that he's cracking under pressure.

a big test for Carol and she will need to show she can walk the walk very soon or face a pretty big backlash in my view.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Surprised they don’t anyway to save on floodlights etc
It requires the agreement of both clubs and usually the other club will request that the return fixture also have an early kick off. Each of our home games which have kicked off early has been at the request of the away side after they agreed that we could kick off the return fixture early as well, and we've also kicked off some away games early after we requested it and offered an early kick off at Brunton Park in return. Could be that some clubs just want to stick to 3pm regardless and so turn down requests for early kick offs or it could be that clubs are hoping they'll have fans in for the return fixture so don't want to change the kick off time away from 3pm.

Oldham v FGR is on the last day of the season (as will be the case for a lot of the games played at this time of the year) so possibly Oldham don't want to move the kick-off time for a game that could see a decent attendance if fans are allowed, or possibly the league won't allow games on the last day to have different kick-off times, and therefore an agreement can't be reached.

I imagine a request for an early kick-off would be more likely to come from Oldham, so that they can get home at a reasonable time but FGR may have said no, given that they can't have the match at Boundary Park also kick off early.

Last edited:

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
it was as bad as any performance in the last 5-6 years which is pretty damning in itself.

his position is untenable. I'm always on the later side of wanting managers sacked and 5-6 games into this run I was still confident that it was a temporary thing that was down to additional factors other than askey.

6 points from 36 available. the defending is shambolic. we know that these players are better than this and i simply refuse to believe that signing McKirdy, Robinson and Clark can have this sort of negative impact.

if it's true that they are the root cause then why are they not banned from training? make them train with the youth team, it cant be as costly as what we've done.

we're getting to the territory now where the question is can we afford NOT to sack him. zero evidence that he can turn this around. plenty of evidence that he's cracking under pressure.

a big test for Carol and she will need to show she can walk the walk very soon or face a pretty big backlash in my view.

Pretty much where I'm at. I've been very reluctant up to now to call for Askey to go but it's clear to me he has no answers and if anything it will only get worse. It's a shame as I think he is a genuinely decent person and his overall work he has done here he could walk away with his head held high but its not working and that is clear to pretty much anyone.

If some of them players are wanting to play for him they have a funny way of showing it. As you say it shows in some of their defending, if can't do anything else at least get the basics right and we are failing miserably. That's nothing to do with one or two being dickheads behind the scenes and I don't doubt for a second they are. That doesn't prevent someone being able to pass the ball to someone in the same coloured shirt or marking someone tightly etc. I'm as disgusted with them today as I was yesterday.

Reactions: Soz

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Issue with Askey is now he’s hint dropping and fuelling rumours, just say it how it is then?

His interview other than sounding like he was about to cry and was clearly emotional didn’t really help other than throw Carol under the bus because she’s going to have to appease the fans who are now asking what’s going on?

Not having a level playing field? Strange happenings? What does it all mean.

He’s got rid of McKirdy and Theo and sent Clark back so suggest there’s even more involved, especially if the bus incident last night is indeed true.

Imagine it may come to a head tomorrow when they are all back in.

I feel for Askey, his Dad is a Vale legend, part of the great Iron Curtain side that broke records, won the league and was robbed in the FA Cup semi final after giant killing multiple clubs. He’s got Vale in his blood and deserves huge plaudits for turning us around last season but for weeks now it’s gone off a cliff. As I posted on OVF

First 10 games PPG 1.9
Next 12 games PPG 0.5

Goals conceded:

First 10 games - 7
Next 12 games - 26

its baffling. The defence has been the least affected by injuries too, Gibbons is a huge blow but he missed the main bulk of the first 10 games as well!

The first 10 were far harder on paper the next 12 too.

I feel for him, he’s a great bloke but maybe that’s the problem, needs a Micky Adams type character to sort that dressing room.

Yesterday is one of those performances we will remember for years to come as how bad it has got. He’s pretty much admitted himself some aren’t giving it all and that was obvious in the effort we saw.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I’m actually struggling to feel sorry for Vale aswell, because we had some embarrassing pre-season behaviour from some of the fanbase, all high and mighty.

I must admit, that performance by them on Saturday was probably even lower than Mansfield against Barrow, you could tell the players didn’t put in much effort, so it’s hard to see how they can carry on now without a new manager. They will probably instantly improve even with just a caretaker manager in, like we did when we sacked Coughlan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!