Saturday 13th January 2024

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
If that’s the approach the Wrexham game at BP is going to be fun then - popcorn time again…

Well it was only the approach when he realised we weren't going to stop the leagues top scorers with our current crop of shite. He also said if we were 3 or 4 up in the first half as we should have been it would have been a completely different game!

Am sure once he sorts the defence out we won't be giving up and playing the Notts way of just hoping to score more than the opponents, because despite them being in the play-offs its not exactly a great way of playing football every week, as yesterday proved.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Looks like he's got plenty of work on his hands based on the 11 goals his side has conceded in his last two home games.

You have to remember that this style results in entertaining high scoring draw, defeats and more often than not victories. That style only recently resulted in a 5-0 victory. Yes it's not going to get you promoted, but it's not going to you relegated or hovering down in 19th any time soon.

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
It’s a good hit, but the defending for the 95th minute equaliser was just rank. No idea what any of our lads were doing. The Grimsby player falls over, gets up and still manages to get it back to Wood.

Lot of talk about systems on our side, but a wholesale change of personnel is what our defence requires.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
It’s gone under the radar in all the madness that McGoldrick was a good 2 yards offside for the first.
After our game at the Racecourse earlier this year, it's well documented that Notts County offer big payouts to linesmen.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
After our game at the Racecourse earlier this year, it's well documented that Notts County offer big payouts to linesmen.

That's because we can't afford to offer big payouts to the referees.

Paupers in this division compared to some.

• Haha
Reactions: Boz

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
It’s a good hit, but the defending for the 95th minute equaliser was just rank. No idea what any of our lads were doing. The Grimsby player falls over, gets up and still manages to get it back to Wood.

Lot of talk about systems on our side, but a wholesale change of personnel is what our defence requires.

I thought that, 95th minute almost everyone from both sides in the box and an obvious long ball launched forward, worst still from a central position, and inexplicably not one Notts player challenged for the ball, they simply let it drop to a Town player. Rank is the perfect description. Horrific defending.

Given the choice I too swap the personnel rather than our system.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
And the lack of goals, lack of wins and maybe also the style of football?

Give me 5-5 draws and 4-2 wins and losses anyday compared that dirge! Yuk.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
You did win that game didn’t you?
Despite our entire gameplan being nullified by bogus offside calls, we did yes. It was glorious too, wouldn't trade that moment of the penalty save for the battering it might've been.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
And the lack of goals, lack of wins and maybe also the style of football?

Give me 5-5 draws and 4-2 wins and losses anyday compared that dirge! Yuk.
Williams undoubtedly provided better weekly entertainment at places like Colchester and Tranmere for you but in terms of big moments in big matches his spell at Notts falls far short of that dirge.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Other than agreeing it being far more entertaining week in week out, the second half of your analysis I fully disagree with.

Although obviously I can't say just how turgid Hurstball was at it's nadir.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Other than agreeing it being far more entertaining week in week out, the second half of your analysis I fully disagree with.

Although obviously I can't say just how turgid Hurstball was at it's nadir.
Disagree with it all you want but our NL playoff campaign and FA Cup run last season trump beating Borehamwood at home.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
5-5 draw's are entertaining when you're a neutral and of course it has it's perks when you're team is involved but I think I would be too frustrated with the defending from my team if it was happening most weeks. The annoyance would seriously undermine the entertainment. What's all this bullshit these days from fans about wanting entertainment like it's a cinema? I'm entertained when we win, I love a 1-0.

Looking at the timings of the goals, I'd be pissed off if I was a Notts fans yesterday to score so late and then concede again at the death. Absolutely nothing enjoyable about that.

Still think Notts have some of the best players in the league, they're the best on the ball by a distance, they should be higher in the table IMO.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
The proceeds from our pizza cup run and a fan kicking in the difference basically covered it, and our defence is better than it has been for several seasons, so it's good business for us.

What's with your Joe Lewis obsession? Are you worried you might have let a decent player go, or did those shorts awaken something in you?
It was in reply to a needlessly bitter post about Evans.

I have no obsession with him just think he’s an accident waiting to happen at times.Three errors from him in the highlights I watch against Wrexham.

Too late to awaken that in me. Shame he didn’t do it at County.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Disagree with it all you want but our NL playoff campaign and FA Cup run last season trump beating Borehamwood at home.

We also beat Chesterfield in the final and I believe managed to beat every single side in NL that season, but let's forget all those games.

I agree Town's performance far better which makes the next part under the supervision of Paul Hurst and Dirges even more eye watering and slightly tragic

That FA Cup run was incredible, no doubt about it. As were reported finances it reaped the club to strengthen the squad, second season in L2, with you acclimatised to the surroundings you would expect you would kick on considerably from your 11th placed finished.

And instead...... you've achieved a decline so fast and so far that it rivals a Kevin Spacey or Mel Gibson. Who saw that coming after you lost in the Quarter Finals? I certainly, didn't did you?

That's the problem with dirge football it soon catches up with you.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
5-5 draw's are entertaining when you're a neutral and of course it has it's perks when you're team is involved but I think I would be too frustrated with the defending from my team if it was happening most weeks. The annoyance would seriously undermine the entertainment. What's all this bullshit these days from fans about wanting entertainment like it's a cinema? I'm entertained when we win, I love a 1-0.

Looking at the timings of the goals, I'd be pissed off if I was a Notts fans yesterday to score so late and then concede again at the death. Absolutely nothing enjoyable about that.

Still think Notts have some of the best players in the league, they're the best on the ball by a distance, they should be higher in the table IMO.
Agree. Notts fans have been brainwashed a bit by Williams and all this "haha, we're so fun to watch, we play 8 up front" shtick is a bit weird for me. Like you said, give me a scrappy 1-0 win over their stuff.

We were having those sort of crazy scoring games earlier in the season and our fans weren't exactly happy with them, exciting as they were, we all knew we would get nowhere if it continued.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Nobody knows Notts County better than Master D (or more accurately likes to think). Quite the expert based on the 3 games we've played each other with the Demon Headmaster Williams in charge.

Weren't Wrexham also having those sort of crazy high scoring results last season as well as earlier this?

Regardless the brainwashing has worked, and by the thousands. Which is nice. Will be far harder to brainwash in the championship mind.

Obviously I'd take a 1-0 over a 5-5 any day, who wouldn't? But a 5-5 is light years ahead of a 0-0 or 1-1 and I'm not talking for the neutral.

Why can't folks at the top just let us entertain and slowly slip down to mid-table peacefully? Weird.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
That thing in the Tranmere game was weird, should the ref not have called a foul throw? He didn't indicate he was playing an advantage.

At the time, I didn't think about it, but having looked again it would seem to tick the boxes for foul throw. Don't know if it's correct from a refereeing perspective to play on.
Grateful to a poster on Rovers forum for putting up the rules. It wasn't a foul throw

1. Procedure At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must: • stand facing the field of play • have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline • throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point on the touchline where the throw-in is to be taken. The ball is in play when it enters the field of play. If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position. If the throw-in is not taken correctly, it is retaken by the opposing team. If a player, while correctly taking a throw-in, deliberately throws the ball at an opponent in order to play the ball again but not in a careless or a reckless manner or using excessive force, the referee allows play to continue. The thrower must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
We also beat Chesterfield in the final and I believe managed to beat every single side in NL that season, but let's forget all those games.

I agree Town's performance far better which makes the next part under the supervision of Paul Hurst and Dirges even more eye watering and slightly tragic

That FA Cup run was incredible, no doubt about it. As were reported finances it reaped the club to strengthen the squad, second season in L2, with you acclimatised to the surroundings you would expect you would kick on considerably from your 11th placed finished.

And instead...... you've achieved a decline so fast and so far that it rivals a Kevin Spacey or Mel Gibson. Who saw that coming after you lost in the Quarter Finals? I certainly, didn't did you?

That's the problem with dirge football it soon catches up with you.
Even with the Chesterfield final, Hurst still gave us bigger memories in those big occasions which is what I'm getting at and is what I've mentioned previously to you in response to one of your very many references to Hurst and the fact that you simply cannot abide his style of football (we heard you the first time by the way). He gave us some absolutely ridiculous moments in his time here and one man's repeated 4-3 wins at all the villages in the National League is another man's FA Cup 5th Round win away at a Premier League club on a Tuesday in front of 4000+ travelling fans.

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Often times other fans rate a manager or coach more highly than his own fans. Not the case with Luke Williams it appears.

He got us out of the non league abyss with 107 points and then into the top 6 of the league above playing attractive, attacking football. I mean it’s not a bad record all told.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

Often times other fans rate a manager or coach more highly than his own fans. Not the case with Luke Williams it appears.

He got us out of the non league abyss with 107 points and then into the top 6 of the league above playing attractive, attacking football. I mean it’s not a bad record all told.

He did brilliantly for us, just hit a sticky patch once Matty Palmer got injured.
Williams said himself in one of his long pre match interviews that as he's got older he's realised that coaches have less influence than he used to believe and that it's about the players natural ability.
I think he's right, you have to sign good players to keep moving up the leagues. No matter how well you coach them you can't get more out of them than is there.
We score loads because we've some class forward players and concede loads because we're struggling to put a L2 standard defence, keeper and defensive midfield cover together.

ForzaCounty

Massive Member
Reaction score
Supports
Stockport Culture Club
Grateful to a poster on Rovers forum for putting up the rules. It wasn't a foul throw

1. Procedure At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must: • stand facing the field of play • have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline • throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point on the touchline where the throw-in is to be taken. The ball is in play when it enters the field of play. If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position. If the throw-in is not taken correctly, it is retaken by the opposing team. If a player, while correctly taking a throw-in, deliberately throws the ball at an opponent in order to play the ball again but not in a careless or a reckless manner or using excessive force, the referee allows play to continue. The thrower must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player.
Can you forward that to the ref we had on Saturday, because he booked our lad (Bristow) after a Walsall player threw the ball at him

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Can you forward that to the ref we had on Saturday, because he booked our lad (Bristow) after a Walsall player threw the ball at him
Remember Mike Jackson getting sent off for Rovers for hurling a throw-in against an opponent.
How is Bristow settling in at Stockport?

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Even with the Chesterfield final, Hurst still gave us bigger memories in those big occasions which is what I'm getting at and is what I've mentioned previously to you in response to one of your very many references to Hurst and the fact that you simply cannot abide his style of football (we heard you the first time by the way). He gave us some absolutely ridiculous moments in his time here and one man's repeated 4-3 wins at all the villages in the National League is another man's FA Cup 5th Round win away at a Premier League club on a Tuesday in front of 4000+ travelling fans.

My apologies, of course nobody else repeats themselves on here again and again. :ohy:

You seem to have missed the part where I agreed with you regarding the playoff campaign and FA Cup run. Which I called incredible. They can never take those memories away. Paul Ince gave one to Notts fans when we beat Premier League Sunderland away in front of a packed out away end in 2011. Great day, great memories. Now ask a Notts fan about Paul Ince as manager and the type of dirge he served up in the bread and butter of the league. Shudder.

Hurst clearly gave some amazing memories, he could clearly get the team up for big one off matches where motivation wasn't required. That likely brought him more time before he was sacked the very next season. I know you wanted to persevere with Hurstball because of it. But give me beating every side in the league, winning a record number of wins, goals and points, promotion at wembley and lashings and lashings of entertaining football that have the fans coming in number week in week out.

Happy to be brainwashed, Williams did incredibly , I sensationally well before he was (not sacked) poached by a big club two divisions higher. Swansea City don't want dirge. Just hope they aren't expecting any cup wins lol.

Oh SoC you never answered did you expect the Mel Gibson like crash and burn so soon after those amazing FA Cup memories?

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
My apologies, of course nobody else repeats themselves on here again and again. :ohy:

You seem to have missed the part where I agreed with you regarding the playoff campaign and FA Cup run. Which I called incredible. They can never take those memories away. Paul Ince gave one to Notts fans when we beat Premier League Sunderland away in front of a packed out away end in 2011. Great day, great memories. Now ask a Notts fan about Paul Ince as manager and the type of dirge he served up in the bread and butter of the league. Shudder.

Hurst clearly gave some amazing memories, he could clearly get the team up for big one off matches where motivation wasn't required. That likely brought him more time before he was sacked the very next season. I know you wanted to persevere with Hurstball because of it. But give me beating every side in the league, winning a record number of wins, goals and points, promotion at wembley and lashings and lashings of entertaining football that have the fans coming in number week in week out.

Happy to be brainwashed, Williams did incredibly , I sensationally well before he was (not sacked) poached by a big club two divisions higher. Swansea City don't want dirge. Just hope they aren't expecting any cup wins lol.

Oh SoC you never answered did you expect the Mel Gibson like crash and burn so soon after those amazing FA Cup memories?
Hurst's football wasn't as crap as you seem to be suggesting though, it was pragmatic and frustrating at times but there were also times when we played good teams off the park. It was just all underpinned by being hard to beat and well organised.

I thought we'd be in a better position this seaaon though yes, however it's nowhere near as drastic as you're making out. The club is still in a better place than it has been in the last two decades and I don't subscribe to this notion that the FA Cup money has been wasted. A couple of potentially duff signings but plenty of improvements have been made, a lot of the problems we're having this season are down to players that performed well in the previous seaaon. Whether we finish 11th in the league again or 20th or 8th is largely by the by as this season has essentially been written off by a managerial change. No reason to panic, in fact people are generally quite excited to see what the future holds under Artell as it could potentially be an exciting couple of seasons ahead.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
It's all about opinions of course and I'm aware there is a wide spectrum of views about Hurst and his style from Town fans, this forum alone showed that.

The fact Hurst and his assistant were sacked and the season written off by fans as early as late October says it all about the sudden unexpected decline.

I'm not surprised they are quite excited about what the future holds under Artell with a potentially exciting couple of seasons ahead. That's partly down to Hurstball. Effective, dogged and pragmatic when winning , turgid, dull and not offering much entertainment to the paying spectators when not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!