Saturday 13th January 2024

Meadow

Not a lad
Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
Those thirteen (and a loanee who's now going back) are the extent of our available squad, as I've said elsewhere our injured XI would beat this fit XI. They've not really been good enough to cope for the past month or so, but it was an excellent performance from them today.

Thought your lads had a smart game plan first half, absorbed pressure without letting us get proper efforts on goal & then started making your own pressure toward half time. But as soon as we got the second they lost interest, I'd be fuming about giving that penalty away, so unnecessary particularly as that lad in the middle had done such a good job clearing everything in front of the six yard box.
I saw elsewhere that CLE was rated very highly. This was a player that you all said was rubbish. He was great for us on loan and I hope that we sign him when his contract expires.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
I said that Madden and Powell on the bench who'd walk into most sides in this division they have the squad to cope.
The idea of Powell is a lot more appealing than the reality.

Though when fit he’s started to put in some nice cameos recently.

ForzaCounty

Massive Member
Reaction score
Supports
Stockport Culture Club
I saw elsewhere that CLE was rated very highly. This was a player that you all said was rubbish. He was great for us on loan and I hope that we sign him when his contract expires.
I've barely seen enough from him in a County shirt to even be able to firm an opinion on him, not sure how anyone else could even write him off yet. Had a very good game today and would be delighted for it to continue.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
I also just saw the extended highlights from your game Joe Lewis had a mare.

Thanks for the 180k.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Financially it’s probably only Wrexham ahead of Stockport, I know Madden is getting on a bit but still a very good player at this level too, he’d score plenty at Mansfield with the chances we create.

The only strikers we have available is Lucas Akins and Will Swan, probably the least impressive in the top ten, hoping that changes soon.

Wasn't Swan meant to be the great young hope and goalscorer this season. What's happened?

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Expect it will be.
Fewer than 400 home tickets left. Tickets sold will already be 8k, hopefully not too many ST no shows and we could be near to that in the ground standing for the minutes silence.

Looks like hundreds of no shows which is a shame, thought this would be Town's first 8,000+ gate this season

I'm blame Hurstball

Last edited:

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I know Oates is injured now but I expected big things from him and Swan this year. Both caused us problems in the last few years.

What’s gone wrong for them?

Injuries. Oates been out most of season before the big one at Stockport, Swan missed pre-season due to injury and never recovered. To be fair to Swan he is fit now and not been given enough of a chance by Clough either.

Let’s not forget guys Mansfield are the injury KINGS.

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

Looks like hundreds of no shows which is a shame, thought this would be Town's first 8,000+ gate this season

I'm blame Hurstball
About 200 tickets left so circa 8,200 sold. 600 seems to be about par for no shows for a Saturday game, but I expected fewer yesterday with everything that’s happened. We have still have relatively poor take up of the STH release which has cash back attached to spend in the club shop - if the seat is resold. Most of the 200 left yesterday were restricted view.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
The league's entertainers take it up a notch or two with that one.

Those extended highlights should be great.

I do fear with the head coach departed likely preventing the obviously needed signing or two we may quietly put of the playoff race to settle comfortably and entertainingly in mid table.

I also fear for lowly Grimsby , 11 conceded in last two games and both games at home!
I'm not concerned about relegation. You're correct about shipping 11 in 2 home games, that is alarming and unacceptable but this squad is nowhere near as bad as the two squads we've had that have gone down in recent seasons. They can battle and create, they just can't defend at all, but even then I look at the defensive players and they're by no means bad players at this level in fact some are good. I don't think switching from Hurst to Artell has helped them at all and I'm hoping time sorts them out.

Embarrassing from everyone involved. Loads of fun, but that was kids’ football, neither team with any kind of shape or plan or anything. You know something’s gone wrong when it finished 5-5 and that’s basically a fair reflection of the game.
I actually thought the first half had some form of semblance of a normal match, but the second half was ridiculous stuff. I predicted 3-3 and some comical defending from both sides, thinking I was being outlandish. :lol: You were spot on about Jones being the one to exploit the space Mullarkey leaves though, punished over and over again by him.
They show real spirit and the front five must be completely pissed off with the rest of the team and their inability to just hold a lead for three minutes.
You can say the same about our lot as well.

He was fucking world class at missing obvious fouls and giving nothing free kicks that lead to goals. With the aid of our defence of course.

I haven’t really had gripes with a ref this season but that bloke was shit.
Baldwin should have been off early doors technically too, brought Vernam (?) down by his neck and then kicked the ball away immediately after. Would have been harsh but by the letter of the law it was two yellows.

Our first four goals were all tapped in from about a yard out, you’re doing well to try and suggest we should’ve scored less than that. :lol:

I thought we got battered for half an hour but were generally the better team for the remaining hour after that and if anything probably edged it overall. Really, though, both teams should be ashamed of themselves.
Agreed that it was an embarressment defensively but I'm not having you edging it overall. We were all over you for a massive period of the first half, if not for some poor finishing, delivery and the crossbar then we could conceivably have been 5-0 up on about 35mins, instead we go in level. The second half was more end to end but as you've alluded to, pure playground stuff. 5-5 the correct result on reflection but I'd say we were the ones hardest done by.

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I just hope we don’t try and add the Notts little rush goalie routine to our repertoire - that’s bound to end badly with us…

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Agreed SoC, Grimsby shaded it overall but neither side really deserved to win playing like that.

We should have been well behind at half time. Grimsby so wasteful, us pathetic for 30 mins.

We started so slowly and were static throughout the first half but we have absolute top quality up front so gives us some chances and you usually get punished.

Rawlinson going for a stroll was inexcusable for the 2nd goal, looked a clear foul for the 3rd goal conceded. Rawlo shouldn't be playing pure and simple.

I don't think Town are going to be relegated or probably even close tbh but I would be very concerned that the league's top assister and one it's best players, Jodi Jones, was given the freedom of that side of the pitch and plenty of time to pick his spot. Three of the Notts goals, and a couple of near misses were carbon copies. Artell has a lot to answer for in this regard, it's hardly a secret how good he is and how many of our goals are scored aka assist Jones. I'd be worried if I was a Town fan long term.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
It’s gone under the radar in all the madness that McGoldrick was a good 2 yards offside for the first.

I’m not sure what people are moaning about with the game though, football is all about entertainment and it doesn’t get better than a 5-5 draw. Also agree with SOC, absolutely no chance Notts edged that game.

We just need new defenders and we’ll be onto something, the signs under Artell are very good imo. The defence completely switching off every week isn’t on him, he’s now got to untangle Hursts mess on that one. Going forward we look much better and yet again for 40 mins yesterday we absolutely dominated Notts, just like we did against Walsall and we lost that one 6-1 . So we’ll call yesterday an improvement..

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Agreed SoC, Grimsby shaded it overall but neither side really deserved to win playing like that.

We should have been well behind at half time. Grimsby so wasteful, us pathetic for 30 mins.

We started so slowly and were static throughout the first half but we have absolute top quality up front so gives us some chances and you usually get punished.

Rawlinson going for a stroll was inexcusable for the 2nd goal, looked a clear foul for the 3rd goal conceded. Rawlo shouldn't be playing pure and simple.

I don't think Town are going to be relegated or probably even close tbh but I would be very concerned that the league's top assister and one it's best players, Jodi Jones, was given the freedom of that side of the pitch and plenty of time to pick his spot. Three of the Notts goals, and a couple of near misses were carbon copies. Artell has a lot to answer for in this regard, it's hardly a secret how good he is and how many of our goals are scored aka assist Jones. I'd be worried if I was a Town fan long term.

Artell said post match with about 40 mins to go it was obvious we were never going to stop you so the tactic was just to outscore you, nearly worked too.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Ermmmm ok then Dave.:thumbs: I'm glad he took that approach tbh.

It was just a few minutes from failing too. Man marking? Or just try and stop the cross. Either or.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Artell is always talking about decisions and he’s spot on, he talks about our defence often passing to each other when they’re not capable, when yesterday it sounds like the instructions were just give it to Conteh (who was absolutely ace yesterday btw). When they didn’t do that we got caught out constantly, aside from going onto the pitch and doing it for them there’s not much else he can do. The way we’re trying to play is very obvious and in the 3/4 games out of 9 it has come off it’s been a joy to watch. You’d imagine the message to the defenders is quite simple atm, learn to play this way or we’ll find players who can.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
That thing in the Tranmere game was weird, should the ref not have called a foul throw? He didn't indicate he was playing an advantage.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I’m not sure what people are moaning about with the game though, football is all about entertainment and it doesn’t get better than a 5-5 draw.

It’s like gorging yourself on a massive takeaway ain’t it. Nice for a treat, but having one every night isn’t good for you.

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Artell said post match with about 40 mins to go it was obvious we were never going to stop you so the tactic was just to outscore you, nearly worked too.
If that’s the approach the Wrexham game at BP is going to be fun then - popcorn time again…

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
35 shots against us yesterday. That's a shot every 2 1/2 minutes (just about)! :eyes:

Thankfully, the highlights on the telly only showed their goal ... a complete cock up in it self! That's about the fifth time this season Williams has made a terrible back pass but then, why doesn't Addai just put his hands on the ball instead of trying to punch it away along the floor?

Once again totally incapable of dealing with a team who hit the ball long into the channels.

Casey

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

I'm blame Hurstball
We've now got quite a few exiled ST holders which is great for swelling the coffers pre-seaaon but not ideal when it comes to matchdays. Still, 7500+ is very decent for us. Good atmosphere from the home end too which is somewhat of a rarity. We have actually had 8000+ in the EFL Cup this season when your inner city pals were in town.

We're way too exposed down the right hand side with Mullarkey playing, I personally would like to see Efete coming back in as he's prone to a clanger but better defensively as he has the athleticism to get back in position which Mullarkey lacks. I think it was as much down to you exploiting this as it was us not trying to sort it. I agree it's worrying as it seems like Artell just decided to sack off that threat and hope for some kind of damage limitation. I don't think it's cause for long term concern though, just need better options at RB for Artell wants to do. Mullarkey is supposed to be a CB who can play RB but we've only ever seen him at RB.

It’s gone under the radar in all the madness that McGoldrick was a good 2 yards offside for the first.

I’m not sure what people are moaning about with the game though, football is all about entertainment and it doesn’t get better than a 5-5 draw. Also agree with SOC, absolutely no chance Notts edged that game.

We just need new defenders and we’ll be onto something, the signs under Artell are very good imo. The defence completely switching off every week isn’t on him, he’s now got to untangle Hursts mess on that one. Going forward we look much better and yet again for 40 mins yesterday we absolutely dominated Notts, just like we did against Walsall and we lost that one 6-1 . So we’ll call yesterday an improvement..
Maher and Glennon can do it. Rodgers is a complete oddity, looked quality back in August but does infuriatingly stupid and risky things on a regular basis now. Despite this though, I do think he has a future at Town, he just needs some time out from the starting xi. Hopefully Tharme can come in and forge a partnership with Maher.
Ermmmm ok then Dave.:thumbs: I'm glad he took that approach tbh.

It was just a few minutes from failing too. Man marking? Or just try and stop the cross. Either or.
Was also very close to working!
Artell is always talking about decisions and he’s spot on, he talks about our defence often passing to each other when they’re not capable, when yesterday it sounds like the instructions were just give it to Conteh (who was absolutely ace yesterday btw). When they didn’t do that we got caught out constantly, aside from going onto the pitch and doing it for them there’s not much else he can do. The way we’re trying to play is very obvious and in the 3/4 games out of 9 it has come off it’s been a joy to watch. You’d imagine the message to the defenders is quite simple atm, learn to play this way or we’ll find players who can.
Agree on Conteh, he seems to bounce back from poor performances which is encouraging. He's a little bit of consistency away from being a top player at this level. I've been critical of Eisa too this season but he was brilliant yesterday. We saw what Vernam can offer too, with a little bit more sharpness and match fitness he'll start bagging goals and assists under Artell I'm sure.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I am consistently very close to potting balls when I play snooker. My cue action is also very close to working.

Was expecting to see 8,000 with all the news of impressive ticket sales but without doubt 7,500 is very good indeed for the vast majority at L2 level.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Hoping Artell can turn it around.

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
We were decent enought at wrexham today. Thought they were bang average.. shame we didn't face them with a full side. Missing a one on one start of second half cost us badly. Anyway on we go.

How many times have I heard this season that Wrexham were underwhelming by fans of teams who we have just beaten.

And on the other hand, people claiming Stockport to be this invincible side who will easily win the league, ‘the best team we’ve played’.

Really wouldn’t think that if we win our game in hand we go top!

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
I was amazed how comfortable we were for the first half hour and would have gone in ahead with a finisher in the side. But apart from Davison's customary missed chance to put us ahead the 2nd half was a different story. Once you went a goal up some of that play on the left hand side with McClean and Fletcher showed they're in a different class to anyone else we've faced. Really can't see anyone else winning the league.

I thought your iFollow commentators were excellent by the way. I usually listen to the oppo commentary when watching to get their analysis of us and sometimes it's just embarrassing with every tackle worth a red card. Yours were partisan and enthusiastic as you'd expect but fair and honest too.
I always had the nagging feeling during the first half that Wrexham were still warming up, you could see bits and pieces of their quality and felt that they still had several gears to move up in to, which sure enough they did in the second half.
Our only hope would have been to put away a couple of the chances we had while it was goalless, but with Ali, Bugiel and Neufville all missing and CLE back to Stockport we were always going to struggle up front with Davison and a talented but very raw youngster up front in Sasu. Pell was also suspended but would have been an absolute liability in a game like that, even more than usual.
Still, quite disappointing that after playing well for an hour or so, a couple of defensive brainfarts were our undoing. That, and Wrexham's ability to take advantage of them with a couple of players who shouldn't really be in this division were the only major difference.

womble76

Reaction score
Supports
wimbledon
How many times have I heard this season that Wrexham were underwhelming by fans of teams who we have just beaten.

And on the other hand, people claiming Stockport to be this invincible side who will easily win the league, ‘the best team we’ve played’.

Really wouldn’t think that if we win our game in hand we go top!
I'm not saying you are not good but just that you were not very good yesterday. Surely you could see that. You were clinical and took chances and we missed ours. Two ex prem players provided the quality.
Oh and your tourists have ruined your atmosphere. Was better with 3000 in stadium

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
I also just saw the extended highlights from your game Joe Lewis had a mare.

Thanks for the 180k.
The proceeds from our pizza cup run and a fan kicking in the difference basically covered it, and our defence is better than it has been for several seasons, so it's good business for us.

What's with your Joe Lewis obsession? Are you worried you might have let a decent player go, or did those shorts awaken something in you?

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I'm not saying you are not good but just that you were not very good yesterday. Surely you could see that. You were clinical and took chances and we missed ours. Two ex prem players provided the quality.
Oh and your tourists have ruined your atmosphere. Was better with 3000 in stadium

What I do agree with is that we were poor in the first half (for the first half hour at least) and you really. should have been ahead. With AlHamadi and Bugiel playing you could easily have been two or three up, and we need to stop putting ourselves in those positions if we have ambitions to get promoted again (which we do). I think the squad needs freshening up a bit this window- sounds like we should expect one or two additions which should help.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I am consistently very close to potting balls when I play snooker. My cue action is also very close to working.

Was expecting to see 8,000 with all the news of impressive ticket sales but without doubt 7,500 is very good indeed for the vast majority at L2 level.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Hoping Artell can turn it around.
You were the one that initially said it almost failed. :lol:

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
That thing in the Tranmere game was weird, should the ref not have called a foul throw? He didn't indicate he was playing an advantage.
At the time, I didn't think about it, but having looked again it would seem to tick the boxes for foul throw. Don't know if it's correct from a refereeing perspective to play on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!