The L2 Playoffs

Uncle Pastuzo

Reaction score
Supports
Newport
Some plank from Rochdale let off a smoke bomb at Rodney Parade in the last game of the season, the deadest of dead rubbers. I was in the open about 150 yards away and it still stank. Must be an easy gig for a sniffer dog.

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Puzzled why it wasn't given as offside when a player standing yards off hares after the ball but stops in his tracks when a teammate who is onside presumably gives him a call. Albeit briefly he's occupying defenders' thought processes and field of vision and therefore interfering, surely?
This is exactly what I thought. I suppose the old adage 'play to the whistle' means more now than ever.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
More examples of the arrogance coming from the Swindon camp....this time from their captain:

We play better football than them, we're better footballers, so we’ve just got to take care of the physical side of the game and we’ll be alright.

“We don’t need to give anyone elbows, we just need to compete with them. We’re a fit side, we’re a strong side, we are very good with the ball.

“We don’t choose to lump the ball in the air, but when we needed to, we’ve obviously shown that we can.

"On Thursday, we've just got to do what we did [on Sunday] and that's compete. Hopefully we can get the clean sheet on Thursday and we'll be through to Wembley ".

I'd be embarrassed if our players talked so disparigingly of the opposition.

I'm not a fan of this type of talk either. Especially as Conroy has a huge gaff in him. Granted he's been playing very well with the evergreen Matt Baudry alongside him but he does have a habit of overplaying. I do hope tonight that we don't have an attitude that we only have to turn up to win the game as clearly Vale are going to be on us from the off.

If we do lose, Mr Conroy is going to have dairy products on his face, however it's refreshing to hear his confidence. That said, i'd rather he didn't say what he has said!

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Well if they were then they’re idiots for throwing on orange flare (colour nothing to do with us) and pushing Bowery (doubt a stags fan would do that)

The fat one as he was dragged off was singing que sera sera. Either way, whoever they support, fucking morons.

LordJord

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Twitter
@lordjordII
Well if they were then they’re idiots for throwing on orange flare (colour nothing to do with us) and pushing Bowery (doubt a stags fan would do that)

Not sure who we supported tbh. He was giving it all the fake tough guy stuff to our fans when he was being kicked out and winding us up, but even live we were confused as he pushed the Mansfield player but had an orange flair. A complete tit either way, just ban people like that from football grounds.

With regards to the game I am gutted, although also proud of the season we have had considering I dont think we have the 4th best squad in the league. Over the two legs I think we were definitely harshly dealt with but we didn't carry enough of a goal threat and Mansfield defended their box excellently. Thought JJOT was excellent in breaking up play, winning second balls etc, wish we still had him. There wasnt really a lot in either game, just unfortunately Mansfield took the few clear chances that were created.

At the end of the day we have relied on set piece goals way too much and clean sheets are our bread and butter. When you take those two things away over both legs then we are unlikely to get anything. Good luck to Mansfield in the final.

As has been mentioned, the spine of our team could well be off. Roberts and Horsfall are definitely going and McWilliams who I thought was our best player over both legs could well be going also. Koiki was wanted by Sunderland in January so bids may well be in for him also.

This will be Brady's second full season in charge and gives us a chance to clear the decks of some of the deadwood we have. We desperately need a target man up top to give us someone to hold the ball up when we do go direct (often) but players like Hoskins and Pinnock if they stay are top L2 players IMO.

Another season down here but at least we avoid the more annoying posters i guess.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
I saw a little bit of the first half and most of the second last night. I didn't see the goal so unable to comment on the offside nature but that running towards the ball when offside and then stopping when a team mate who isn't offside can get to the ball is creeping into the game more now. Whilst it's not against the rules clearly it can be used advantageously as the defender doesn't make that effort to go to the ball (perhaps that's poor defending if they are unable to read the situation??). I think they might have to tweak the offside rule again to counter that happening.

I thought Mansfield defended brilliantly last night and were strong and courageous and therefore deserved to go through. The penalty incidents were 50/50 I thought, but the referee decided there wasn't enough in it so can see why he made the decision. The 2 hard tackle bookings had mitigating circumstances, the weather clearly had an effect as both players were late, but I don't think malicious. Out of control? Perhaps, but on a dry surface I don't think those tackles happen. Interestingly I thought the Mansfield player that made the challenge was lying on the floor and had the look that he thought the ref would send him off. I think he was relieved to get just a yellow. As for Quinn, I think that's a nasty cheap shot, had the Cobblers player made more of it he could have seen red, he raised his arms and (I think) caught him in the face so could have understood if it was red. A Port Vale player did a similar thing to us in our league game at the CG and got a suspension based on video evidence so I wonder if anything similar will happen to Quinn?

Glad Northampton aren't at Wembley because if we do get there, Northampton station is the station after mine! :)

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

The person on the pitch on the pictures this morning was a lad from the home end wearing a northampton scarf.

Quite a special effort from a “mansfield fan” :lol:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
More examples of the arrogance coming from the Swindon camp....this time from their captain:

We play better football than them, we're better footballers, so we’ve just got to take care of the physical side of the game and we’ll be alright.

“We don’t need to give anyone elbows, we just need to compete with them. We’re a fit side, we’re a strong side, we are very good with the ball.

“We don’t choose to lump the ball in the air, but when we needed to, we’ve obviously shown that we can.

"On Thursday, we've just got to do what we did [on Sunday] and that's compete. Hopefully we can get the clean sheet on Thursday and we'll be through to Wembley ".

I'd be embarrassed if our players talked so disparigingly of the opposition.
They have said a few things this week but as i said earlier in the week they like to talk that's up to them, if we have any sense DC will use it and you'd hope the lads would want to prove a point and if it gets an extra 5% great.

I don't get the argument Swindon have that we are some kind of heathens though... over 46 games they had the same number of reds and 1 less yellow!

We are not really a hoofball side either as we don't really have a physical presence unless Proctor is fit, we do like to mix it up but both our footballing midfielders are injured in Conlon and Walker, some of the football we've played at times this season has been great (all be it in 20 minute spells).

Teams who play the so called footballing way often get snobbish about it, always have think Crewe and the "Crewe Way" and the stuff they used to come out with about moral victories as they had less fouls conceded...

More than one way to skin a cat though.

Hopefully its a good game and from our point of view we leave everything at Vale Park tonight, from fans to players and if its not enough we congratulate Swindon and move on to next season.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Couldn’t give two fucks how we do it tonight just win!! Going to be a long day waiting for it get underway.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
They have said a few things this week but as i said earlier in the week they like to talk that's up to them, if we have any sense DC will use it and you'd hope the lads would want to prove a point and if it gets an extra 5% great.

I don't get the argument Swindon have that we are some kind of heathens though... over 46 games they had the same number of reds and 1 less yellow!

We are not really a hoofball side either as we don't really have a physical presence unless Proctor is fit, we do like to mix it up but both our footballing midfielders are injured in Conlon and Walker, some of the football we've played at times this season has been great (all be it in 20 minute spells).

Teams who play the so called footballing way often get snobbish about it, always have think Crewe and the "Crewe Way" and the stuff they used to come out with about moral victories as they had less fouls conceded...

More than one way to skin a cat though.

Hopefully its a good game and from our point of view we leave everything at Vale Park tonight, from fans to players and if its not enough we congratulate Swindon and move on to next season.

I've tried to ignore a lot of the off field chat. A lot of it is childish nonsense (often put into the category of 'football banter') which I'm loathe to get involved with. I suspect a lot of this 'arrogance' that we are allegedly displaying is an attempt to get under the skin of the Vale players. It's worked to an extent on the fans but how this transpires into tonight, well we'll know by 9:45/10:45 ish. I'm the same as you valefan, if you get through tonight I'll be doing the same. I'll be in the Bycars giving my all, I can only ask the same of the players.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
The only thing worse than a lower league team banging on about what a sublime footballing team they are is a team who bang on about being a sublime footballing team whilst hoofing the ball constantly to their ponytailed big man.

I thought it was one of the key battles of the first game as Aaron martin struggled to deal with him and to be fair, the ref let him get away with murder whenever they launched it up.

As for the physical jibes there was a few instances of diving and faking injury, mckirdy did a terrible one on half time and we couldn't challenge Williams without him collapsing to the floor. The guy who went down holding his head before we scored. Williams and the whole defence desperately arguing that the physio wasn't needed despite him staying down for the umpteenth time

Fine it's a playoff game and we are by no means innocent but don't do that kind of stuff and then claim the moral high ground Swindon captain :lol:

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
If the plan was to get under your skin a little bit pre kick off I think it's job done, but he certainly leaves himself wide open for ridicule if Port Vale knock them out.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
The only thing worse than a lower league team banging on about what a sublime footballing team they are is a team who bang on about being a sublime footballing team whilst hoofing the ball constantly to their ponytailed big man.

I thought it was one of the key battles of the first game as Aaron martin struggled to deal with him and to be fair, the ref let him get away with murder whenever they launched it up.

As for the physical jibes there was a few instances of diving and faking injury, mckirdy did a terrible one on half time and we couldn't challenge Williams without him collapsing to the floor. The guy who went down holding his head before we scored. Williams and the whole defence desperately arguing that the physio wasn't needed despite him staying down for the umpteenth time

Fine it's a playoff game and we are by no means innocent but don't do that kind of stuff and then claim the moral high ground Swindon captain :lol:
Its all mind games, we do them by saying nothing... absolutely nothing in regard to injuries and fitness and stuff so the opposite end of the spectrum.

Facts are over 46 games we were separated by 1 point so fractional margins in terms of quality between the two sides and we both reside currently in the arse end of the football league system so no one at this level including ourselves should be having delusions of granduer.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Least can watch tonight with a beer in hand and chill.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
If the plan was to get under your skin a little bit pre kick off I think it's job done, but he certainly leaves himself wide open for ridicule if Port Vale knock them out.
Vale fans know all about how it can pan out with Shane Tudor and "Macclesfield are a shit club we should be beating shit clubs" comment a decade or so back!

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
It’s an interesting approach. Certainly in contrast to how Vale have handled things whereby DC and any of the players interviewed have barely even mentioned Swindon at all other than mumbling one or two things about them being a good team. None of it matters when the game kicks off.

Hopefully things don’t boil over too much tonight as think this will be an ill-tempered affair. Last thing we need as a club is anything similar to what happened to Billy Sharp the other night.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I'm not a fan of this type of talk either. Especially as Conroy has a huge gaff in him. Granted he's been playing very well with the evergreen Matt Baudry alongside him but he does have a habit of overplaying. I do hope tonight that we don't have an attitude that we only have to turn up to win the game as clearly Vale are going to be on us from the off.

If we do lose, Mr Conroy is going to have dairy products on his face, however it's refreshing to hear his confidence. That said, i'd rather he didn't say what he has said!
I mean, he might be right, you maybe do have some better footballers but keep it to yourself!

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
I mean, he might be right, you maybe do have some better footballers but keep it to yourself!

In terms of technical skill they undoubtedly do though I bet they wouldn’t mind having James Wilson or a fit Tom Conlon in their lineup. Being successful though is about more than that though.

Back in the DHSS

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
How are Port Vale going to stop Harry McKirdy? Must be tempting for defenders to have a nibble at him. Especially after last nights referee’s reluctance to send anyone off.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
How are Port Vale going to stop Harry McKirdy? Must be tempting for defenders to have a nibble at him. Especially after last nights referee’s reluctance to send anyone off.

Of course I am hoping he has an influence on the game like the first leg but he's going to be a right shit tonight and play up for the cameras/crowd. He'll be in the referees face waving his arms about and looking for that reaction from Vale's defenders. If the shoe was on the other foot and he was a Vale player he'd be the kind of player I absolutely detest, but as he plays for us, you kind of love it.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports

Couple of reducers on him early but most of all we’ll probably look to focus on cutting off the supply to him from the midfield by marking them out of it. Obviously it’s easier said than done. Seems a theme throughout all the playoffs that things are being let go a lot which I’m in favour of so long as it’s consistent.

Saxon Red

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
In terms of technical skill they undoubtedly do though I bet they wouldn’t mind having James Wilson or a fit Tom Conlon in their lineup. Being successful though is about more than that though.
Absolutely we would like to have James Wilson in our line-up. Not sure how many goals he's grabbed this season but he looks an all-round centre forward.

Our centre forward, Davison, was a late replacement for Tyreece Simpson who Ipswich recalled in January in a fit of pique over not signing a new contract. Davison works hard, but isn't a natural finisher, as he demonstrated on Sunday.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Just because it’s a PO game shouldn’t mean the ref lets things go that on a normal Saturday he’d be giving pen and yellow and red cards for.

I reckon Vale’s best chance is to go for it themselves - not concentrate on stopping us.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Really looking forward to watching tonight now we've booked our place, Not sure how we managed it after ASF and Negative Adam saying we had no chance all week.. :)):

I see tickets are going to be sold through ticketmaster. Bet our ticket office staff are more buzzing about that than the actual result last night :lol:

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
He's a good player but we shouldn't focus on him. I think if like others have said you can cut the supply or deny the room, that is the key.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Couple of reducers on him early but most of all we’ll probably look to focus on cutting off the supply to him from the midfield by marking them out of it. Obviously it’s easier said than done. Seems a theme throughout all the playoffs that things are being let go a lot which I’m in favour of so long as it’s consistent.

This could play into Louie Barry's hands. with McKirdy on one side and Barry on another you have 2 quick players that can run into the flanks. Against Walsall this worked perfectly and we countered them to death. Hopefully this happens tonight but I reckon Vale might sit a bit deeper and look to play a bit more considered, longer game.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

I looked back at both and on a different day both teams could have ended with 10 men,
they were probably “orange” for me.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Really looking forward to watching tonight now we've booked our place, Not sure how we managed it after ASF and Negative Adam saying we had no chance all week.. :)):

I see tickets are going to be sold through ticketmaster. Bet our ticket office staff are more buzzing about that than the actual result last night :lol:

fuck off haha. :lol:

We’ve certainly no chance against either port vale or swindon who again will be clear favourites, but being positive we’ll get some decent money from it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!