The PPV Discussion Thread

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall
Nah, they've always done that, even pre-attitude era. It's a little something for the fans.

I meant that it no longer means that much to fans to bring names back I don't think, not as important as like 5 years ago. We've seen The Rock, Hogan, Undertaker, Trips etc..they don't get the same pop they used too.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County
it definitely does though. The pop The Rock got when he first returned was absolutely immense, I remember even my mates at Uni who weren't WWE fans (i.e. all of them) were talking about it. We've only got tired as he's been shoved down our throats now. Trips never went away either so he's irrelevant. That's kind of the problem they have now, not many people left to bring back but imagine if they got Goldberg back, the roof would go.

mase

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
When Bubba Ray came back that pop was huge, both in the arena and online. When done right it can work wonders.

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
Yeah, look at the reactions to Sting as well.

I don't really have an issue with people coming back/being part timers. Look at Lesnar... if he can be as awesome as he was at the rumble, I couldn't give a shit if it's only once every couple of months, I'd take that over nothing at all!

Seeing a fair bit of "Bryan shouldn't main event WM because he main evented last year" talk around online though. I can't agree with that attitude at all. Even though he's been out for a year, Bryan is still the most over guy on the roster, comfortably. And to me, the thing you do with wrestling, especially when it comes to WM, is you take the two biggest, most popular people on the roster, and put them face to face. Hogan main evented most WM's until he left WWE. And Cena (for better or worse) has main evented most for the last decade. It's what wrestling does; you get the biggest name and build it around them. At the moment, that man is Daniel Bryan.

Personally, yeah, I think Bryan should have been in the Main event... but really, I'd just accept him being in a main event. This rumoured match with Sheamus is insulting to him and his fans. I'm sure they'd put on a classic to be honest, but it's hardly marquee on the face of it.

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall
My point in reference to the older guys are The Rock, Hogan, Shawn Michaels. Flair etc...then you have the current roster guys who are older guys...Kane/Show/Undertaker/Lesnar... Sting and Goldberg would get big pops, Austin still gets reasonable ones but that's because they are never here. The interest in 'bringing' guys back these days, is waining and the modern era cares less for the likes of The Rock - we've seen it before now. A Rock vs Rusev match now would draw less and have less fan interest, than it would have say in 2008 - because The Rock has been around quite a lot in the last few years, it's nothing new, no novelty etc.

Libertine

Reaction score
Supports
Leicester City
Bryan has hardly hogged the ME scene so it wouldn't be overkill for him to top Mania again. He didn't even have a proper run with the title. Certainly we all want new stars making and headlining, but I still consider DB a new star. One big title win shouldn't mean he's peaked and he's on the way back down. I'm not particularly fussed though that he's not in the ME, as long as there was somebody else who was ready for that spot, which clearly most agree Reigns isn't.

Saying that, hopefully in a few weeks the booers will accept it and give Reigns some backing and support in the live crowds because I want the guy to do well.

TheMinsterman

Reaction score
Supports
York City & Italy
I wouldn't say Bryan wining the title should be viewed as a "peak" per se, just that he can easily be a star attraction without being in the title match at WM, that's more what I meant about him not really needing another WM closing moment after a year, next year, sure but I want a little variety in my MEs personally.

Gilly?

Reaction score
Supports
British Darts Organisation
Twitter
@ActualGilly
Apparently Sheamus vs Bryan is no longer a lock for WM but will now instead be Bryan vs Ziggler. I'm game for that!

mase

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Apparently Sheamus vs Bryan is no longer a lock for WM but will now instead be Bryan vs Ziggler. I'm game for that!

But then who do I cheer for?

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
That to me would be a very smart move for WWE (Smart-WWE in same sentence!!)

the ME is going to be sh*tted on, but if they gave the crowd at least a match between 2 of their faves and say give them 25-30 minutes the crowd may ease up on WWE because at least it gave them something they wanted.

I think RR got the mass of stick not due to the winner, but the sh*tty way they treated the ones fans like to cheer, that was the mistake.

but if you gave Sting Vs HHH for the old school fans, Ziggler Vs Bryan for the modern fans..........I think WWE could get away with the ME.

Of course knowing WWE as I do a WWE way would be to give you Zigger Vs Bryan and make it last 3 minutes long with a sh*te finish.

Eamonn

Reaction score
Supports
Man United
Anyone see a Reigns heel turn at WM? Lesnar is all but sure to be leaving then or soon after and could be a way to help Reigns become the top star he has the potential to be with Heyman as his mouthpiece. Reigns can be the cocky arrogant heel he already portrays in real life in interviews, we can get Reigns/Ziggler, Reigns/Ambrose, Reigns/Cena and Reigns/Bryan over the course of it and when he does turn face again and turn on Heyman he will be ready to be the top face.

Alternatively, I think we could see Rollins cashing in, similar storyline of Heyman wanting to protect his own future so siding with Rollins, perhaps Lesnar actually beats Reigns in a tightly contested match, Reigns still looks good taking him all the way, Heyman then turns on Lesnar with a low blow, Rollins races down and curb stomps him twice cashes in and wins the title.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
I would love Ziggler vs Bryan. It would be MOTY if given enough minutes.

mase

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Heyman then turns on Lesnar with a low blow, Rollins races down and curb stomps him twice cashes in and wins the title.

Sounds good only problem I have with it is that after such a big change in an angle like that we, as fans, would want to watch how it plays out and see how Brock reacts/comes back to it. Seeing as he is off, that can't happen.

Eamonn

Reaction score
Supports
Man United
Lesnar could maybe do Extreme Rules as well, babyface Lesnar vs Rollins w/Heyman and Authority in his corner. If Lesnar loses he is out of the WWE. As its extreme rules shenagigans can occur, Lesnar gets screwed again as Rollins retains. Lesnar then flips and takes out everyone and leaves in a blaze of glory having put over Rollins huge.

tommy_b

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
My point in reference to the older guys are The Rock, Hogan, Shawn Michaels. Flair etc...then you have the current roster guys who are older guys...Kane/Show/Undertaker/Lesnar... Sting and Goldberg would get big pops, Austin still gets reasonable ones but that's because they are never here. The interest in 'bringing' guys back these days, is waining and the modern era cares less for the likes of The Rock - we've seen it before now. A Rock vs Rusev match now would draw less and have less fan interest, than it would have say in 2008 - because The Rock has been around quite a lot in the last few years, it's nothing new, no novelty etc.

Not being that close to it anymore, is there anyone kicking around who could come back and cameo somewhat to get some pops? I've no idea what the leaving state (or medical now) of people were but... Kurt Angle? He is almost the only person I can think of who was a big name and is nowhere near WWE these days.

Is Batista coming back?

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall
Not being that close to it anymore, is there anyone kicking around who could come back and cameo somewhat to get some pops? I've no idea what the leaving state (or medical now) of people were but... Kurt Angle? He is almost the only person I can think of who was a big name and is nowhere near WWE these days.

Is Batista coming back?

Angle and Goldberg...Batista came back last year and won the Royal Rumble...got promised a title run, got boo'd out of every arena...ended up having his title shot as a triple threat at WM with Bryan/Orton and lost. He's gone back to work on a few films. He's going to be a bad guy in the next Bond I believe. I'd suggest both are quite likely, it wouldn't surprise me to see Goldberg pop up with Sting at some point.. but I'm unsure on Angle. His last couple of years in TNA weren't great, he's not medically fit to perform and hasn't been for a while - his neck is like glass. The only way he would come back is just as a random 1 off WM appearance, or an Undertaker like schedule IMO.

tommy_b

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
My watching of WWE was fading at the time, but didn't Goldberg largely... stink it up a bit? I may be misremembering or selectively remembering bits but a year contract? Some vague push? No Austin (cos of injuries, I know) as well....

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall
My watching of WWE was fading at the time, but didn't Goldberg largely... stink it up a bit? I may be misremembering or selectively remembering bits but a year contract? Some vague push? No Austin (cos of injuries, I know) as well....

Goldberg got shat on by The Rock (I remember reading stuff about how Rock wouldn't put Goldberg over properly, that's why he ended up taking about 10 spears in their Backlash match), then ran into an Evolution full HHH and that was the end of that. He did win the world title but his lack of match ability (bar squash matches) quickly showed up in the main event. His crowd reactions weren't great and he eventually dropped to a Lesnar fued that STUNK. However a cameo appearance once in a while would probably go down very well now.

Gilly?

Reaction score
Supports
British Darts Organisation
Twitter
@ActualGilly
Angle and Goldberg...Batista came back last year and won the Royal Rumble...got promised a title run, got boo'd out of every arena...ended up having his title shot as a triple threat at WM with Bryan/Orton and lost. He's gone back to work on a few films. He's going to be a bad guy in the next Bond I believe. I'd suggest both are quite likely, it wouldn't surprise me to see Goldberg pop up with Sting at some point.. but I'm unsure on Angle. His last couple of years in TNA weren't great, he's not medically fit to perform and hasn't been for a while - his neck is like glass. The only way he would come back is just as a random 1 off WM appearance, or an Undertaker like schedule IMO.

You could have a 'Beat the Olympian Challenge' ever year.

Pilgrim Meister

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle
Twitter
@mcleanrj
Anyone see a Reigns heel turn at WM? Lesnar is all but sure to be leaving then or soon after and could be a way to help Reigns become the top star he has the potential to be with Heyman as his mouthpiece. Reigns can be the cocky arrogant heel he already portrays in real life in interviews, we can get Reigns/Ziggler, Reigns/Ambrose, Reigns/Cena and Reigns/Bryan over the course of it and when he does turn face again and turn on Heyman he will be ready to be the top face.

Alternatively, I think we could see Rollins cashing in, similar storyline of Heyman wanting to protect his own future so siding with Rollins, perhaps Lesnar actually beats Reigns in a tightly contested match, Reigns still looks good taking him all the way, Heyman then turns on Lesnar with a low blow, Rollins races down and curb stomps him twice cashes in and wins the title.

This, the last one is what I think will happen.

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF

It's always been thought that he's got one match left in him. Though he'd obviously need to be protected. I know Austin (on behlaf of Vince) vs Triple H for control of the company was discussed back along, and there were always rumours of Austin vs CM Punk... but I think that the general view now is that it'll be next year or never again for Austin. WM32 is taking place in Dallas, so if Austin were to have one last match it'd be the perfect stage for him.

The fact that WM32 is in Dallas is also why people think Taker may skip this year... if he's only got one match left, it makes sense for it to be in Texas.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
To be fair there isn't anyone who could come back now that really is going to shine in WWE anymore, most of the big names are too old or have been battered in their prime to a point where really their bodies are not up to it anymore or else their character has gone stale.

The only ex-WWE guy from that peak period who has over the last few years improved himself is of course Bubba Ray, who developed his Bully Ray character, got fitter, improved his promos and his interaction with the crowd and I'm 100% sure would be an interesting addition to WWE if they let him run with that role on either Raw or Smackdown.

alas the problem is Bully Ray role is very very un-PG threatening to come tot he front row to smack an old lady in the face, threatening to piledrive pregnant ladies through a burning coffin, etc, etc that type of stuff may not quite go well in WWE.

but really apart from Bubba Ray it should be 100% about the younger guys now and not cheap pops.

probably the worst aspect of the RR was more focus being on Bubba Ray, DDP, Goldust, Big Show and Kane than new guys I'd not really heard of or seen

mase

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
I caught a TNA the other night and Angle is back performing...

Angle, Goldberg, Hardyz, Dudleyz are the only ones who would get a pop if they returned

tommy_b

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
It's always been thought that he's got one match left in him. Though he'd obviously need to be protected. I know Austin (on behlaf of Vince) vs Triple H for control of the company was discussed back along, and there were always rumours of Austin vs CM Punk... but I think that the general view now is that it'll be next year or never again for Austin. WM32 is taking place in Dallas, so if Austin were to have one last match it'd be the perfect stage for him.

The fact that WM32 is in Dallas is also why people think Taker may skip this year... if he's only got one match left, it makes sense for it to be in Texas.

Ah sorry, I meant that Austin injuries meant that was why Goldberg v Austin never happened. And hence why Bill sucked.

Eamonn

Reaction score
Supports
Man United
Seena n interesting theory that as Rowan was banned and Axel didnt enter the ring so didnt count, that The Rock was actually a legitimate entrant at Number 30 and was never eliminated. Authority makes Rock vs Reigns? :p Or Rock comes out next week and turns down the match, says hes not contracted and Roman deserved it and won himself, cue Daniel Bryan, respects Rock etc but never lost the title if anyone deserves one more shot its him, Rock bigs up Bryan and says Bryan vs Reigns should duke it out for the spot at Fast Lane. Or leads to a jealous and frustrated Bryan at Rock strolling back for another title opportunity, Rock declines the match and Bryan then challenges Rock at Wrestlemania.

ForeverUnited

Reaction score
Supports
Hereford (United) FC
If Rowan wasn't in the rumble, why did he leave after being chucked over the top rope? that's what confused me.
Announcement will be interesting, I doubt it will shake the WWE to its 'core' though.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
watching the 2000 Rumble and Kaientai kept running down to the ring to attack people, just because they didn't qualify for it. that was until Taka Michinoku smashed his face on the concrete floor - ouch!

they should do that again, in fact they should of with J&J Security

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
Fast Lane tonight then chaps!

While it was always looking a bit of a throwaway PPV, I actually quite like the look of the card:

Bad News Barrett vs Ambrose - IC Title
Usos vs Tyson Kidd and Cesaro - Tag titles
Goldust vs Stardust
Ziggler, Rowan and Ryback vs Rollins, Show and Kane
Nikki Bella vs Paige - Divas title
Rusev vs Cena - US title
Reigns vs Bryan - Winner goes to WM

In fact, gotta be honest, that looks pretty damned great to me. Not really a match there I'm not interested in... about the only thing I dislike is the thought that we will have to endure parts of the 3 vs 3 tag match where we have to sit though Kane or Show VERY SLOWLY beating somebody up. But at least that match is here rather than WM, like I thought it may be. Still though... if it ends with Kane and Show cocking up, suggesting a WM match between those two... ugh. Well, I guess I will need a toilet break at some point during the show...

Other than that though... I'd fully expect the tag title match to be the match of the night, all four of those guys are incredible. Ambrose going for the IC title is interesting and may hopefully revive that belt (long shot, but fuck it, that title needs to be relevant again!) and I do actually like the chemistry between Reigns and Bryan... plus there are obviously huge implications laying around the result of that match.

And on top of all of this we have the Triple H/Sting confrontation.

Will be staying up to watch this live... looks like it should be well worth it unless they really cock it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV